ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#161 » by queridiculo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:43 am

The Pistons are dreadful, but Gafford's outing was promising in that he provided a lot of what this team has been missing.

A defensive presence on the interior and somebody that can get to work from the dunker spot or as the roll man.

His body of work doesn't show him to be an otherworldly rebounder, but at least it looked like he consistently put a body on somebody and I liked his pick and roll defense, kid seems to have a good instincts.

I think Brown is going to be a really good player, but he's been made redundant with the Avdija pick and at least Gafford addresses an area of need.

A duo of Gafford and Bryant could be a serviceable tandem at the spot. Not sure if I'd go into next season without addressing the position, but Washington should have more flexibility to allocate that MLE money more effectively.

What's the contract situation with Hutchinson, I see a team option for next season?

This could be a good chunk of money they're saving for next season.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#162 » by FAH1223 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:55 am

NatP4 wrote:After reviewing the on/off numbers and other metrics over the last two seasons, Gafford looks to be a huge pickup for us. He checks the box of young athletic rim protecting big. The contract is awesome.

Next step: find a young guard of the future(please Jalen Suggs)

Gafford is good depth. But his inclusion to the roster should not inform what we need to in the draft especially if we get the #1 or #2 pick.

I'm taking Mobley without hesitation if we have the opportunity.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#163 » by FAH1223 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:41 am

Read on Twitter
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#164 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:17 pm

So we're low-key picking apart Gafford's game, but still posting like Troy Brown Jr. is on the cusp of breaking out of his shell and blossoming into what we hoped he'd be when drafted?

That stat line looks about right, but the caption leads me to believe that someone in the Bulls org. thinks that with double the minutes they'd get double the production every night.

That's where they'd probably be wrong.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#165 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Wizards won in the deal. Easily.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#166 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Great to see Troy do well -- he's going to have a long, productive NBA career. It was foolish to trade him, but it's too late to worry about it now.

Meanwhile, when a guy you just acquired comes out & goes 6-7, w/ 5 boards in 14 minutes, while blocking 3 shots... you have to happy with him!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#167 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:19 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:So we're low-key picking apart Gafford's game, but still posting like Troy Brown Jr. is on the cusp of breaking out of his shell and blossoming into what we hoped he'd be when drafted?

That stat line looks about right, but the caption leads me to believe that someone in the Bulls org. thinks that with double the minutes they'd get double the production every night.

Maybe you could find it in your heart to wish the guy well...? Sheesh!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#168 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 pm

queridiculo wrote:...What's the contract situation with Hutchinson, I see a team option for next season?

His situation is exactly what Brown's is -- they came out of the same draft, as did Wagner. The Bulls picked up Hutchison's option, as we did with Troy.

In Moe's case, otoh, we declined his option -- so looking at a salary table, he appears as an expiring salary. The Celtics have his Bird rights of course.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#169 » by Dat2U » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Pistons are dreadful, but Gafford's outing was promising in that he provided a lot of what this team has been missing.

A defensive presence on the interior and somebody that can get to work from the dunker spot or as the roll man.

His body of work doesn't show him to be an otherworldly rebounder, but at least it looked like he consistently put a body on somebody and I liked his pick and roll defense, kid seems to have a good instincts.

I think Brown is going to be a really good player, but he's been made redundant with the Avdija pick and at least Gafford addresses an area of need.

A duo of Gafford and Bryant could be a serviceable tandem at the spot. Not sure if I'd go into next season without addressing the position, but Washington should have more flexibility to allocate that MLE money more effectively.

What's the contract situation with Hutchinson, I see a team option for next season?

If we're in a complete rebuild them you can roll into next season with low expectations where a Bryant/Gafford duo would be acceptable. If Beal is coming back however, then an upgrade at the position still should be a priority.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#170 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:54 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Troy Brown first got in the game late in the 3rd quarter when the Bulls were down 28. Basically, it was exclusively garbage time.

That doesn't mean Brown won't be successful in Chicago, but the performance last night is essentially meaningless.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#171 » by NatP4 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:58 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:After reviewing the on/off numbers and other metrics over the last two seasons, Gafford looks to be a huge pickup for us. He checks the box of young athletic rim protecting big. The contract is awesome.

Next step: find a young guard of the future(please Jalen Suggs)

Gafford is good depth. But his inclusion to the roster should not inform what we need to in the draft especially if we get the #1 or #2 pick.

I'm taking Mobley without hesitation if we have the opportunity.

I’m taking Suggs over Mobley, but Mobley is still a perfect fit next to Gafford at the 4.

I simply meant that we don’t need to target guys like Richaun Holmes or Nerlens Noel in free agency, not pass on a generational talent in the draft...
payitforward
RealGM

Post#172 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Overall, our salary structure changes, but whether the change is beneficial depends entirely on Hutchison's future.

Hutchison will cost us $1m less than Troy would have. Gafford is under contract for $1.8m. If you assume we would have kept Wagner & paid him @$2m, the result is that we've saved $1m.

OTOH, if Hutchison isn't able to play, it's a problem: he takes up a roster spot, & his $$ is guaranteed.
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Wizards won in the deal. Easily.

As with most trades, every participant took some risk in return for the opportunity for some benefit.

Boston lowered its salary to get under the tax, taking the risk that Wagner would provide much of the benefit Theis provided -- sufficient IOW that the bigger, more costly trade for Fournier was worth doing.

The Bulls got rid of a big problem in Chandler Hutchison -- a guy who isn't with the team. They got a very talented 21 year old who is underperforming. That trade straight up would have been a huge win for them. But, they had to give Gafford to make it happen.

We got something for Wagner even though we'd declined his option. & we rolled the dice that Chandler Hutchison will be a player. If he isn't able to play, then the idea that we "...won in the deal" will obviously be altogether wrong.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#173 » by 2018C3 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:17 pm

I just wanted to provide a update to my last post, where I guessed on why Hutchison was benched on the Bulls. With his most recent interview it looks like my theory presented earlier was wrong.

He clearly said in this interview he stepped away for personnel reasons, and that it wasn't basketball related.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#174 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:So we're low-key picking apart Gafford's game, but still posting like Troy Brown Jr. is on the cusp of breaking out of his shell and blossoming into what we hoped he'd be when drafted?

Maybe you could find it in your heart to wish the guy well...? Sheesh!

Where am I wishing him the worst?

Troy Brown Jr. is a 7-14 pts., 5-7 rebs., 3-6 assts. kind of guy. I think he will continue to be himself as a Bull, which is fine.

However, if Bulls' fans buy the notion of some Wizards' fans that he will have some rebirth in Chicago, as if his underproduction was due solely to the Wizards coaching staff, then I think they've been mislead.

By acquiring Gafford we got the better of the trade. Flat out.

Sheppard is proving that he is not Grunfeld 2.0. He's changing the culture for the better each season even when lacking the assets.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#175 » by closg00 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:19 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes it was garbage-time, but it appears that Troy is more comfortable and less hesitant to shoot in the Bulls system, I won't be surprised if he excels under a different coach.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#176 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:24 pm

closg00 wrote:Yes it was garbage-time, but it appears that Troy is more comfortable and less hesitant to shoot in the Bulls system, I won't be surprised if he excels under a different coach.

Agreed. He is a legit NBA player who should play 6-10 years as a reliable role player. It was an organizational failure to not develop him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#177 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:25 pm

Does anybody know if Gafford can switch on D? Does he have the lateral mobility?
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#178 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:45 pm

payitforward wrote:Overall, our salary structure changes, but whether the change is beneficial depends entirely on Hutchison's future.

Hutchison will cost us $1m less than Troy would have. Gafford is under contract for $1.8m. If you assume we would have kept Wagner & paid him @$2m, the result is that we've saved $1m.

OTOH, if Hutchison isn't able to play, it's a problem: he takes up a roster spot, & his $$ is guaranteed.
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Wizards won in the deal. Easily.

As with most trades, every participant took some risk in return for the opportunity for some benefit.

Boston lowered its salary to get under the tax, taking the risk that Wagner would provide much of the benefit Theis provided -- sufficient IOW that the bigger, more costly trade for Fournier was worth doing.

The Bulls got rid of a big problem in Chandler Hutchison -- a guy who isn't with the team. They got a very talented 21 year old who is underperforming. That trade straight up would have been a huge win for them. But, they had to give Gafford to make it happen.

We got something for Wagner even though we'd declined his option. & we rolled the dice that Chandler Hutchison will be a player. If he isn't able to play, then the idea that we "...won in the deal" will obviously be altogether wrong.

Now how was Chandler Hutchison a big problem for Chicago? Was he disruptive? Did he have a max contract that only the Wizards were willing to take on? And if by "isn't with the team", you mean the Wizards, I think you are off there, because unless I'm mistaken, I saw him speaking with Deni Avdija on the sidelines during last night's game against the Pistons.

Troy Brown Jr. has a unique skillset at his size and position; he does nothing to lose ballgames and is remarkable at nothing, and Hutchison has a lot of proving to do, so do you really think that a straight-up trade of Brown Jr. for Hutchison is something that Sheppard would've even entertained?

Mo Wagner, Troy Brown Jr., and Davis Bertans were my top trade candidates because everything they offered (minus Bertans' shooting) was easily replaceable.

Gafford has already shown what his presence could mean for the team defensively in the future.

When I say that the Wizards won the trade, I say that mostly with Chicago in mind (not that it stops at Chicago), and that opinion's based on future potential and immediate impact.

You sound like a person that believes Troy Brown Jr. was the prize in this trade, if the case, you've got it wrong.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagnernice for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#179 » by tontoz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Nice debut. No telling whether Gafford will work out or not but we have needed this type of player for a looong time.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#180 » by nate33 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:54 pm

It's interesting that the Wizards didn't unload Bonga at the Trade Deadline. Maybe there were no offers, but maybe they intend to keep him.

I'm a little worried that there is significant redundancy between Bonga and Hutchinson - both are long wings who can't shoot. Do we want both on the roster next year?

Return to Washington Wizards