Buyout Market Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#101 » by Murray_17 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:42 am

I actually kind of like this for us?

Between Aldridge, Blake and Deandre gettin time, Claxton is gonna be less time out there on the floor.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#102 » by kriss73 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Gone is Dieng. Disappointing
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#103 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:33 pm

I was warming up to the idea of adding Dieng. He could've helped.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#104 » by zaz102 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 pm

I wonder if they were interested or not. Maybe a better role for him on the Spurs.

Sixers should be able to use their trade exception to offer more than most other teams if they wanted, correct?
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#105 » by mithrandir17 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 pm

zaz102 wrote:I wonder if they were interested or not. Maybe a better role for him on the Spurs.

Sixers should be able to use their trade exception to offer more than most other teams if they wanted, correct?

It is called the trade exception because it can only be used in trades
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#106 » by Sixerscan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Sucks, guess it’s tough to sign a true 5 because they know once Embiid gets back they aren’t going to play much. That’s why it would be good to get someone that could also play the Scott minutes.

There was probably more to it but I don’t get why they didn’t figure out a way to get Muscala in the Hill trade. He’s played in one game since the all star break. Maybe someone better shakes loose but then you just cut him. He at least establishes a decent enough floor where you aren’t playing these joke lineups.

OKC notoriously does not buy people out so I’m guessing that avenue is closed.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#107 » by zaz102 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:32 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:
zaz102 wrote:I wonder if they were interested or not. Maybe a better role for him on the Spurs.

It is called the trade exception because it can only be used in trades
Haha I'm a dummy. Maybe I was thinking MLE? I'd so, would make sense why they wouldn't want to use too much of it.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#108 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Olynyk would be great. Perfect fit with Ben offensively. Maybe you could sell him on being able to get enough minutes at the 4 and 5? I dunno, feels like we're a reasonably good destination, but that there would be other, better opportunities. I was thinking he played for Doc in Boston, but they drafted him in Stevens first year, so no connection there. Plus there's the spite factor in Houston.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,059

Post#109 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:54 pm

Sixers where just listed in a tweet among six or so teams who were interested.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#110 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Historically buyout players have been largely ineffective, but over the last few years, I see guys like Markeif Morris and Wes Mathews added through the buyout process, and they are both great pre-playoff reinforcements. This year, some big names in Aldridge, Drummond, and Blake. If you’re Milwaukee, Philly, or Utah, and you see the LA teams and Brooklyn loading up on top buyout talent, it makes any buyout scraps you get, largely underwhelming.

I’m curious if the NBA will ultimately see it as a problem due to the public reaction to the Nets grabbing big names like Aldridge and Blake. While both players aren’t what they used to be, many fans and media are framing this as the Nets forming a big 5. It is tough to win a championship as a GM in a lot of the cold weather small markets. You really have to eliminate free agency from you building strategy. Utah is having a great season, and seeing the big markets load up on rotation players through the buyout process right before the playoffs is discouraging.

Not sure of the impact any of these players will have, but the Nets odds increased after these latest additions.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#111 » by kriss73 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#112 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Well its sucks noone is looking at us as a backup 4 and 5, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

When Jojo is back, they would have to compete with Dwight to even get those #2 backup mins (granted Dwight being a goon lately has taken the luster away from that).

We can convince ourselves all these big names aren't really big cause they are 'cooked', but at the end of the day guys aren't choosing the Sixers as a team they think they can hop on board and win a ring.

Morey is in his honeymoon period, but the bottom line is we needed to add someone for cheap by trade instead of all this hoping for a buyout. That is on Morey.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#113 » by Skates » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:53 pm

Dieng is one of the few buyout guys who may be looking for a team that can be a long term home. He isn't end of career old and SA cold give him minutes and have a ton of FA money this summer potentially. He is contract chasing, not ring chasing.

We will sign someone, at this point Howard is making that more necessary than ever. Not a lot of real 3/4 guys who can play the 5 available, they were in high demand at the deadline too. Pure 5's aren't likely to look at there being much opportunity here. We will get a body, the skillset that comes with it is the question.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#114 » by sixers hoops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:59 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:Well its sucks noone is looking at us as a backup 4 and 5, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

When Jojo is back, they would have to compete with Dwight to even get those #2 backup mins (granted Dwight being a goon lately has taken the luster away from that).

We can convince ourselves all these big names aren't really big cause they are 'cooked', but at the end of the day guys aren't choosing the Sixers as a team they think they can hop on board and win a ring.

Morey is in his honeymoon period, but the bottom line is we needed to add someone for cheap by trade instead of all this hoping for a buyout. That is on Morey.

Yeah, I don’t know who is cooked or not, and the increased Nets odds could be a result of the perception of the Aldridge and Griffin signings; nevertheless, the Sixers are really depending on Shake, Curry, Thybulle, and Mike Scott for big mins. I think Danny Green and George Hill are tested vets and will bring what is expected, but we are still limited on the bench.

We could def use one more solid addition.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#115 » by LloydFree » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Historically buyout players have been largely ineffective, but over the last few years, I see guys like Markeif Morris and Wes Mathews added through the buyout process, and they are both great pre-playoff reinforcements. This year, some big names in Aldridge, Drummond, and Blake. If you’re Milwaukee, Philly, or Utah, and you see the LA teams and Brooklyn loading up on top buyout talent, it makes any buyout scraps you get, largely underwhelming.

I’m curious if the NBA will ultimately see it as a problem due to the public reaction to the Nets grabbing big names like Aldridge and Blake. While both players aren’t what they used to be, many fans and media are framing this as the Nets forming a big 5. It is tough to win a championship as a GM in a lot of the cold weather small markets. You really have to eliminate free agency from you building strategy. Utah is having a great season, and seeing the big markets load up on rotation players through the buyout process right before the playoffs is discouraging.

Not sure of the impact any of these players will have, but the Nets odds increased after these latest additions.

Nitpicking, but Wes Matthews didn't sign with Milwaukee as a buyout. He signed with Indiana, who weren't contenders. He did what G. Dieng is doing now. Signed with a team he knew he could get major minutes, so he could showcase himself and stay in the league.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,033

Post#116 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:Well its sucks noone is looking at us as a backup 4 and 5, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Yeah, I don’t know who is cooked or not, and the increased Nets odds could be a result of the perception of the Aldridge and Griffin signings; nevertheless, the Sixers are really depending on Shake, Curry, Thybulle, and Mike Scott for big mins. I think Danny Green and George Hill are tested vets and will bring what is expected, but we are still limited on the bench.

Our window is still long since all of our main guys are young, but the harsh reality is we shouldn't really be this stressed out about a #3 center. Yes we should about a backup for Tobias, but not center. Jojo should be playing where we don't have to worry about a 3rd center, and its really not a position that should be a concern at all cause if Jojo isn't playing in the playoffs we can't find anyone to replace him anyway.

I'm more interested in finding a backup for Tobias who is better than Scott. I agree with you, I don't worry about Green or Hill, although the rest of those guys in the backcourt all have concerns.

As for our #3 center, well Morey has already shown in Houston he could care less about a #1 center. I don't think a #3 center is even on his radar, but a #2 PF should be on it. Blake would've been a good addition.
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#117 » by bball4life » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:54 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Our window is still long since all of our main guys are young, but the harsh reality is we shouldn't really be this stressed out about a #3 center. Yes we should about a backup for Tobias, but not center. Jojo should be playing where we don't have to worry about a 3rd center, and its really not a position that should be a concern at all cause if Jojo isn't playing in the playoffs we can't find anyone to replace him anyway.

I'm more interested in finding a backup for Tobias who is better than Scott. I agree with you, I don't worry about Green or Hill, although the rest of those guys in the backcourt all have concerns.

As for our #3 center, well Morey has already shown in Houston he could care less about a #1 center. I don't think a #3 center is even on his radar, but a #2 PF should be on it. Blake would've been a good addition.

I agree with all of this except the Blake part. I think he’s beyond washed. Olynyk would be perfect as he has reasonable 3p shooting. Aldridge would have been ok too. I’d honestly rather give Bball Paul all of Scott’s minutes to see what he can do right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#118 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:03 pm

bball4life wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

I agree with all of this except the Blake part. I think he’s beyond washed. Olynyk would be perfect as he has reasonable 3p shooting. Aldridge would have been ok too. I’d honestly rather give Bball Paul all of Scott’s minutes to see what he can do right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next level forethought with that username you created when Paul Reed was only 2 years old.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#119 » by Tomjas » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Wtf

Read on Twitter
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#120 » by the_process » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Any word on Olynyk getting bought out? That’s the guy the Sixers should go hard after.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers