ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Pels (Sat. 9PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Pels (Sat. 9PM EST) 

Post#61 » by aggerrard » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:19 am

First round exit or losing in the play-in games. Things better happen this off-season. Brunson, KP, Kleber and DFS. There are some value that can be traded around and cap-space to pick up a few decent players.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#62 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 am

We have got injured JJ and direct competition has got this,
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,034

Post#63 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:29 am

Teams the Mavs marchup the worst against are Warriors and Jazz, I'd avoid them like the plague, the rest rhere's a chance of an upset.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#64 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am

Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Offseason was just a disaster. Richardson is playing way below expectations, Johnson and Iwundu are not anymore here, Burke is incredibly bad and rookies are not playing. I don't believe you can have worse offseason.

I don't blame Donnie for making that trade but we are basically in the same boat as last season in terms of defense now.
One of the biggest needs going into the off-season was getting better defensively so we substituted O for D with the Curry/JRich trade, traded Wright/Jackson for Johnson, signed Iwundu, and drafted Green and Bey.

JRich and Wright basically cancel each other out, Iwundu and Johnson get dealt for more offense, and Rick refuses to develop the others. We are basically back to where we were a year ago in terms of defense.

...and we're without Seth.

More or less all teams in front of us in standings improved their roster, Mavs are worse.

Thus the trade for Redick.
Like you said the off-season was a disaster because we are basically the same team as a year ago.

2020 vs 2021
Luka - Luka
KP - KP
DFS - DFS
Maxi - Maxi
Brunson - Brunson
THJ - THJ
Boban - Boban
WCS - WCS
Powell - Powell
Wright - JRich
Curry - Redick
Barea - Burke
Jackson - Meli
MKG - Bey
Lee - Green
Cleveland - Hinton
Reaves - Terry

We might be a little better going into POs because of some PO experience, another year of team chemistry building, Luka being a year older, and hopefully more healthy, but in terms of talent we are basically the same team.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:38 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I don't blame Donnie for making that trade but we are basically in the same boat as last season in terms of defense now.
One of the biggest needs going into the off-season was getting better defensively so we substituted O for D with the Curry/JRich trade, traded Wright/Jackson for Johnson, signed Iwundu, and drafted Green and Bey.

JRich and Wright basically cancel each other out, Iwundu and Johnson get dealt for more offense, and Rick refuses to develop the others. We are basically back to where we were a year ago in terms of defense.

More or less all teams in front of us in standings improved their roster, Mavs are worse.

Like you said the off-season was a disaster because we are basically the same team as a year ago.

2020 vs 2021
Luka - Luka
KP - KP
DFS - DFS
Maxi - Maxi
Brunson - Brunson
THJ - THJ
Boban - Boban
WCS - WCS
Powell - Powell
Wright - JRich
Curry - Redick
Barea - Burke
Jackson - Meli
MKG - Bey
Lee - Green
Cleveland - Hinton
Reaves - Terry

We might be a little better going into POs because of some PO experience, another year of team chemistry building, Luka being a year older, and hopefully more healthy, but in terms of talent we are basically the same team.

I believe Seth is much better than Redick in this stage of his career, but Richardson is better than Delon, so I more or less agree with you. Problem is that many playoffs teams in the West got better.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#66 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 am

It seems another Luka against the world PO experience... No respect for him from the FO.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Post#67 » by daoneandonly » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Bob8 wrote:We have got injured JJ and direct competition has got this,
Read on Twitter
?s=21

We didn't have anything to trade that Tor would have wanted. Maybe if we actually drafted Trent ourselves instead of the shoot first, pass 1 % of the time Brunson, who you always defend
Bob8
General Manager

Post#68 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:54 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:We have got injured JJ and direct competition has got this,
Read on Twitter
?s=21

We didn't have anything to trade that Tor would have wanted. Maybe if we actually drafted Trent ourselves instead of the shoot first, pass 1 % of the time Brunson, who you always defend

Brunson is playing for 1.6 mio and looks light years better than Richardson, which we got for Seth. On top of that he has trade value unlike Richardson.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#69 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Come on now, are you really going to criticize Brunson pick? He's the Mavs 3rd/4th best player, I'm really not sure I'd take GTJ over him, and Brunson was a very smart pick, you have a coach with very short fuse for rookies, so you took someone who's 22 years old, with 3 years of college, and then RC has no problem playing him, that pick paid dividend in bunches.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#70 » by Archx » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 pm

Brunson is a great player, he never complains and is a great teammate. But for the Mavs to make that next step, it is important for Brunson to also make the next step and starts becoming more of a playmaker rather than scorer.

This team basically has 4 people playing the same role. Burke, Jrich, THJ and Brunson play the same scoring role, but when Doncic is out, there is no one to create offense and get them open looks. To make matters even worse, Burke is useless on both ends, Jrich is....well, i don't know, he can be a huge hit or a miss (statistically, for now, he's actually negative), while THJ and Jalen are the only guys i trust with offense when Luka is out, but none of them will make others better.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#71 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:56 pm

I've been saying that backup PG is a great need, and it doesn't have to be great PG, some vet off waivers like Jeff Teague, or draft a young guy like McConnel or Pritchard, I think they designated Tyler Terry for this, but he's not ready, I don't think expecting Brunson to become a facilitator is realistic at this, that who he is and he's very good at it.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 830

Post#72 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:02 pm

Archx wrote:Brunson is a great player, he never complains and is a great teammate. But for the Mavs to make that next step, it is important for Brunson to also make the next step and starts becoming more of a playmaker rather than scorer.

This team basically has 4 people playing the same role. Burke, Jrich, THJ and Brunson play the same scoring role, but when Doncic is out, there is no one to create offense and get them open looks. To make matters even worse, Burke is useless on both ends, Jrich is....well, i don't know, he can be a huge hit or a miss (statistically, for now, he's actually negative), while THJ and Jalen are the only guys i trust with offense when Luka is out, but none of them will make others better.

Mavs should have done whatever it took to trade for Gordon.
Seems we could have offered as good or better than Harris/Hampton for him.

Mavs simply overvalue their role players and seem to think there is still an upside.
Brunson, DFS, Maxi, JRich, THJ, WCS, Burke, Powell are playing at, or very near their ceilings.
Rick won't play anyone with some upside so I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't do whatever it took to get Gordon.

Luka/Gordon/KP would be a solid young starting core and building around them would be pretty easy.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#73 » by daoneandonly » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:Brunson is a great player, he never complains and is a great teammate. But for the Mavs to make that next step, it is important for Brunson to also make the next step and starts becoming more of a playmaker rather than scorer.

Mavs simply overvalue their role players and seem to think there is still an upside.
Brunson, DFS, Maxi, JRich, THJ, WCS, Burke, Powell are playing at, or very near their ceilings.
Rick won't play anyone with some upside so I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't do whatever it took to get Gordon.

Luka/Gordon/KP would be a solid young starting core and building around them would be pretty easy.

Answering this and some other posts in one swoop.

I've been the biggest J Rich supporter, figured covid is what did him in, but now starting to think Spolestra made him look so much better than he really is. And the guy we see here and in Philly is the real Richardson. That said, yea Richardson and Green would have been a much better offer than Denver's package, cheaper too.

But no, I won't defend Brunson. Ironic using that word because Jalen never defends, or passes, yet he's a pg. He's the most selfish guy on the court, including KP. But the Luka only fans will prop him up because he seems to be close with Luka, like Maxi and the utterly useless Boban. You rarely hear the Luka only flock ever criticize them. But it's everyone else's fault
Bob8
General Manager

Post#74 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:49 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

I've been the biggest J Rich supporter, figured covid is what did him in, but now starting to think Spolestra made him look so much better than he really is. And the guy we see here and in Philly is the real Richardson. That said, yea Richardson and Green would have been a much better offer than Denver's package, cheaper too.

But no, I won't defend Brunson. Ironic using that word because Jalen never defends, or passes, yet he's a pg. He's the most selfish guy on the court, including KP. But the Luka only fans will prop him up because he seems to be close with Luka, like Maxi and the utterly useless Boban. You rarely hear the Luka only flock ever criticize them. But it's everyone else's fault

You're missing context here and some stats. Seth was traded for Richardson and because how he played in Miami expectations were high for him. On the other hand you have second round pick on a rookie contract. I don't believe many expected much from him. He's for sure exceeding expectations.

Ano now some facts and stats,

Richardson 10.8 mio this year, next year 11.6 mio player option.
Brunson 1.6 mio this year and 1.8 mio team option next year.

Richardson FG% 43; 3PTS% 31; eFG% 50; TS% 55

J.Brunson FG% 53; 3PTS% 39; eFG% 60; TS% 63

The difference in efficiency is huge. Richardson has very bad numbers and Brunson efficiency is elite. Richardson is for sure better defender, but nowhere near to his reputation.

You're saying Brunson is selfish, maybe he should be even more selfish with his fantastic efficiency. And strangely enough, he's averaging 0.5 assists more than Richardson, playing 7 minutes less.

Tell me now, who should be criticised Richardson or Brunson? I don't say Brunson is perfect, but his numbers, especially efficiency is elite. Richardson on the other hand is far away from what we expected.

I don't especially like either Maxi or Boban and I would traded both in a second for better options.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#75 » by daoneandonly » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Mavs should have done whatever it took to trade for Gordon.

You're missing context here and some stats. Seth was traded for Richardson and because how he played in Miami expectations were high for him. On the other hand hand you have second round pick on a rookie contract. I don't believe many expected much of him. He's for sure exceeding expectations.

The difference in efficiency is huge. Richardson has very bad numbers and Brunson efficiency is elite. Richardson is for sure better defender, but nowhere near to his reputation.

You're saying Brunson is selfish, maybe he should be even more selfish with his fantastic efficiency. And strangely enough, he's averaging 0.5 assists more than Richardson, playing 7 minutes less

Tell me now, who should be criticised Richardson or Brunson?

Both actually

If context matters, Seth wasn't even drafted, and Richardson also was a 2nd round pick, so not sure why that's relevant. You brought up Powell for some reason, well he was traded for a guy picked after Brunson. A guy who's much better than Brunson
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#76 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:57 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

2020 vs 2021
Luka - Luka
KP - KP
DFS - DFS
Maxi - Maxi
Brunson - Brunson
THJ - THJ
Boban - Boban
WCS - WCS
Powell - Powell
Wright - JRich
Curry - Redick
Barea - Burke
Jackson - Meli
MKG - Bey
Lee - Green
Cleveland - Hinton
Reaves - Terry

I believe Seth is much better than Redick in this stage of his career, but Richardson is better than Delon, so I more or less agree with you. Problem is that many playoffs teams in the West got better.

Are you sure of that .. ?? Delon is a better handler (in my opinion). JRich in a better .... scorer? .. He loved what Richardson was supposed to bring ... mating, Covid ... the truth is that until now, he has been Terrible, he looks like a chicken without a head ... I would give more money, than I earn now ... I hope I shut my mouth and start to show something of what was promised
1+1=11
Bob8
General Manager

Post#77 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:02 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

You're missing context here and some stats. Seth was traded for Richardson and because how he played in Miami expectations were high for him. On the other hand hand you have second round pick on a rookie contract. I don't believe many expected much of him. He's for sure exceeding expectations.

You're saying Brunson is selfish, maybe he should be even more selfish with his fantastic efficiency. And strangely enough, he's averaging 0.5 assists more than Richardson, playing 7 minutes less

Tell me now, who should be criticised Richardson or Brunson?

Both actually

If context matters, Seth wasn't even drafted, and Richardson also was a 2nd round pick, so not sure why that's relevant. You brought up Powell for some reason, well he was traded for a guy picked after Brunson. A guy who's much better than Brunson

How can you criticise 1.6 mio player on a rookie contract with that numbers? His efficiency is elite of the elite for his position.

It doesn't matter for Mavs, how was Richardson drafted, but what was the cost of him for Mavs. His price was one of the best shooters in the league. I brought Powell to show, how some teams got better and what Mavs management did to get better. Not much.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#78 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:07 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Thus the trade for Redick.

2020 vs 2021
Luka - Luka
KP - KP
DFS - DFS
Maxi - Maxi
Brunson - Brunson
THJ - THJ
Boban - Boban
WCS - WCS
Powell - Powell
Wright - JRich
Curry - Redick
Barea - Burke
Jackson - Meli
MKG - Bey
Lee - Green
Cleveland - Hinton
Reaves - Terry

Are you sure of that .. ?? Delon is a better handler (in my opinion). JRich in a better .... scorer? .. He loved what Richardson was supposed to bring ... mating, Covid ... the truth is that until now, he has been Terrible, he looks like a chicken without a head ... I would give more money, than I earn now ... I hope I shut my mouth and start to show something of what was promised

I really don't like how Richardson is playing, but Delon looked completely lost out there. He was unplayable in the end of the season.
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,764

Post#79 » by Archx » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Bob8 wrote:I don't especially like either Maxi or Boban and I would traded both in a second for better options.

You would trade Maxi? Why? Maybe he's not a starter, but for his role, he's quite good. I know there are a lot of fanbases who were eager to trade for him. He is also one of Mavs better and smartest defenders. Just had an off shooting night vs Pels.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#80 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Discourages me, they didn't even try..Gordon / Lonzo / Theis ..were there, available .. Especially Gordon / Lonzo, they seem like perfect long-term fits. They have the age and a talent, that would flourish together with Luka .. From the outside it gives the feeling of complacency on the part of the office ... Denver / Portland are stronger now ... I guess this whole obsession with keeping space must hide some perfect plan ... I read that Kawhi will try free agency if they fail ... we are going to be getting guys who expire year after year ... just in case some star decides to sign with Dallas .. ????
1+1=11

Return to Dallas Mavericks