ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#61 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Looks like Sacramento might now be cutting Kabengele because they've got one more player than roster spots. I wonder if he even lands anywhere else for the rest of the year. Maybe Toronto? They've got some roster spots after the trades of Thomas and Davis, and can definitely use the help at C. That way Nurse and Boucher could work on him about playing this summer.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#62 » by mojo13 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Oshae Brissett picked up a 10 day with the Pacer during yesterday's craziness. That's great to see.

Kabengele still seems more of a G-League player and there is no G going on right now. Not sure he could really help the Raptors too much, but I'd love to see him sign there and get into the mix with Coach Nurse and Team Canada.

Some rumors floating that Kelly Olynyk may be a buy out candidate, so we should keep an eye on that. Also some rumblings of Iggy Brazdeikis possibly being waived, but that seems a little less likely.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#63 » by Kenter16 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

OKC is definitely tanking. Hopefully this plays into their decision to sit SGA. His injury probably isn't that bad, but they want a high draft pick.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,229

Post#64 » by Stromile12 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:53 pm

I have high hopes for this dude, we need him to suit up in the future. Getting more minutes lately and taking advantage.

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 655

Post#65 » by BilboBanginz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:33 pm

So.. Is Chris Duarte actually Canadian?

I've seen him referenced as being Canadian, and his Wikipedia used to say he was born in Quebec, but now it's been changed to the Dominican.

This article was posted today which goes pretty in depth about his background. Born in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, then attending high school in Troy, New York and junior college in Niceville, Fla., and now the University of Oregon.. no mention of Canada at all.

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/ncaa-basketball-chris-duarte-oregon-ducks-dominican-republic-continues-climb-nba-draft-2021-prospects

Does anyone know more about him? Is Canada Basketball after him?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#66 » by mojo13 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 am

I’m actually seeing conflicting stuff out there as well. I’m not even sure he was born in Montreal as it says in multiple places on the web. I’m not sure it really even matters.

As we said here before he has been in the DRs mix for some time being invited to many FIBA events but has yet to suit up for DR officially.

He looks very much part of the DR system and unlikely to play for Canada (even if he is eligible) But nothing is set in stone yet. Treat it like Iggy - most likely he plays for Lithuania, but until he does, he is not completely written off.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#67 » by Hair Canada » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 pm

So, I agree with mojo's assessment above.

But just to be precise, the article doesn't say that he was born in the DR. The term they use is "hailing from", which could mean either to have been born in a particular place or simply to come from there. If it's the latter, it means he could still have been born in Montreal, as quite a few sources have suggested, and then moved to DR at a younger age. I saw nothing that negates this life story there. Similar in that sense to Chris Boucher, whose official NBA page lists his "country" as Sainte Lucia despite having been raised in Montreal.

That said, his Wikipedia page relies on his official Oregon player page, where it does say "Born in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic". So who knows?
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#68 » by Kenter16 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Awesome! Haha, I can relate. I hate needles too.

Also, it's great these two got vaccinated. Helps with their chances of playing in the OQT.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
mojo13
Veteran

Post#69 » by mojo13 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:57 pm

Anyone else watching Dyshawn Pierre in the EuroLeague? Curious to what others think of his NBA potential.

Not a guy we have every really considered a NBA threat, but has has been a phenom this year turning himself into an elite role player for Fenerbahce. Fener has gone 15-2 since December in EL coinciding with Pierre gaining an elevated role.

He is 27 but he's been improving every year and took another big leap this year. His true calling card is his defense. He's the defensive heart of Fener and really guarding the whole floor 1-5. He looks extremely quick, agile and athletic in the EL and looks like he could keep up in the NBA. He is only averaging 9.5ppg and 3.5rpg, but on superbly efficient 56/48/83 shooting splits. Could that shooting and defense translate into a 3&D SF in the NBA? Maybe it is too late in his career and Fener is sure going to try to keep him around, but I thought it at least worth the conversation. I think he has a better chance than Pangos to be honest.

Over the years, I've thought that elite EuroLeague role-players have an easer path translating their skillset to the NBA than the ball dominant, heavy usage EuroLeague stars. It is too far of a leap athletically/size-wise for them to do the same sort of stuff in the NBA (there are exceptions), where for elite role players it seems more of a horizontal move to become an NBA role player. Khem Birch for example is a fairly similar player in the NBA to how he was in the EuroLeague.

Anyways - maybe I just wanted to keeping pointing out how impressed I am with Pierre this season. Isn't too often Canadians have succeed edlike this in the EuroLeague - especially so unexpectedly.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#70 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:44 pm

This news is a bit old but didn't see it posted here yet. Any ideas where he ends up?

Read on Twitter
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#71 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:53 pm

From the latest Sam Vecenie article on The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2469325/2021/03/31/college-basketball-player-tracker-ranking-the-35-best-available-transfers-and-high-school-recruits/

Ranking the 50 best available college basketball transfers and high school recruits

3. Marcus Carr, 6-2 guard, senior, Minnesota

Transfer portal watchers jump out of their seats when they see a name such as Carr pop up. He is the premier lead guard transfer on the market, a point guard who has already made the All-Big Ten team and was on the 20-name late-season watch list for the Wooden Award. He is a superb playmaker who can get his own shot and create for his teammates. He was top 10 in the country in assists per game last year at 6.5, then this year upped his scoring to 19.4 points per game as Minnesota needed a lead scoring threat. He’s a clutch shot-maker and a tough-nosed point guard who would make just about any team better. Carr plans to enter the NBA Draft without an agent and use the transfer market as a backup plan.

18. Charles Bediako, 6-11 center, IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.

Bediako and Reid, teammates at IMG, are more of an eye-of-the-beholder situation. If you’re looking for more of an NBA prospect, Bediako is the guy. If you’re looking for more of a polished offensive player who can help you immediately in college, Reid is the guy. Given that this is a college list, we ranked Reid higher, but don’t sleep on Bediako. He’s a terrific defensive prospect due to his mobility and length around the rim. But it’s going to take some time in college. Alabama is seen as the most likely suitor, but Michigan is also in the mix.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#72 » by Hair Canada » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:42 pm

mojo13 wrote:Anyone else watching Dyshawn Pierre in the EuroLeague? Curious to what others think of his NBA potential.

Not a guy we have every really considered a NBA threat, but has has been a phenom this year turning himself into an elite role player for Fenerbahce. Fener has gone 15-2 since December in EL coinciding with Pierre gaining an elevated role.

He is 27 but he's been improving every year and took another big leap this year. His true calling card is his defense. He's the defensive heart of Fener and really guarding the whole floor 1-5. He looks extremely quick, agile and athletic in the EL and looks like he could keep up in the NBA. He is only averaging 9.5ppg and 3.5rpg, but on superbly efficient 56/48/83 shooting splits. Could that shooting and defense translate into a 3&D SF in the NBA? Maybe it is too late in his career and Fener is sure going to try to keep him around, but I thought it at least worth the conversation. I think he has a better chance than Pangos to be honest.

Over the years, I've thought that elite EuroLeague role-players have an easer path translating their skillset to the NBA than the ball dominant, heavy usage EuroLeague stars. It is too far of a leap athletically/size-wise for them to do the same sort of stuff in the NBA (there are exceptions), where for elite role players it seems more of a horizontal move to become an NBA role player. Khem Birch for example is a fairly similar player in the NBA to how he was in the EuroLeague.

Anyways - maybe I just wanted to keeping pointing out how impressed I am with Pierre this season. Isn't too often Canadians have succeed edlike this in the EuroLeague - especially so unexpectedly.

He's been great. Probably has a spot on the NT, especially if Wiggins is not coming. NBA is a lot about the right situation and timing, plus really wanting it and being willing to take some risk. I'd be totally fine with him staying in the Euroleague.
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Post#73 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:50 am

Totally random hypothetical. Let's say someone came back from 25 years in the future and told you that one of the Canadians currently playing in the NBA joined Steve Nash and James Naismith as the only Canadians in the Hall of Fame. Who would you think that would be? And how would you see the best-case scenario of their career turning out to have that happen.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by Hair Canada » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:06 pm

NAW with the best stretch of his young NBA career. Since Lonzo went down, he's been starting and getting big minutes. and he's responded well. Over his last six games: 20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, shooting 9 3-pointers per game, and making them at a 44 clip. You have to hope that this is convincing the Pelicans that he's their SG of the future (or at least deserves a chance to show that he can do it next year).

Watched his game yesterday. He was really good, with 31 points. Plays with great confidence and a level of maturity when he's a starter, unlike when he came off the bench and tried to do too much. Still has some issues with decision-making and TOs as a lead guard. I don't think that's his best role though he can do it for stretches. Also, although he was great yesterday and made some big shots at the end of the game and in overtime, he also missed a key free throw and an easy layup at the end, which cost NO the game. Not the first time this season he's missing shots that would tie or win games for them (I counted at least 3 now). So it's great he has the balls to take them. But would be even nicer if he can make it.

Anyway, from a team-Canada perspective, his development this season has been great. Can never have too many creative guards who can also shoot and defend.
— Steve Nash
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#75 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:52 pm

mojo13 wrote:Anyone else watching Dyshawn Pierre in the EuroLeague? Curious to what others think of his NBA potential.

Pierre is a very good help type of player to have in a very deep and stacked team (like Fenerbahce), but he's not a 3 and D player at all. If Canada wants a good 3 and D player, then Doornekamp is clearly a better choice than Pierre.

Doornekamp is the typical example of a 3 and D player, as he is a very good defender, and a very good spot 3 point shooter, if left open.

Pierre is basically like a 1990s or 2000s NBA small forward type of player. Can guard either wing spot, is athletic, can stand at the 3 point line and hit some shots, because the defense chooses not guard them. But mainly is a player with the skill set of facing up or posting up smaller guards, and being a physical body on defense.

So basically, if you want a better player as a designated role playing 3 and D guy at the end of the rotation, then Doornekamp is a better player for Canada. If you want a better player in terms of how good is the player individually one on one, if you give him the ball, run plays for him, and make a point of him being a top 3 option on the offense, then Pierre is a better option for Canada.

Pierre isn't a designated 3 and D role player. A comparison for a recent NBA player isn't really coming to my mind right off the bat. But he reminds me of maybe someone like Bonzi Wells, or someone like that. Definitely not a 3 and D guy.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#76 » by mojo13 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:59 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Totally random hypothetical. Let's say someone came back from 25 years in the future and told you that one of the Canadians currently playing in the NBA joined Steve Nash and James Naismith as the only Canadians in the Hall of Fame. Who would you think that would be? And how would you see the best-case scenario of their career turning out to have that happen.

SGA for me (easily). He is just doing so many things at a truly elite level already and still improving at a quick pace. He may be on a path to being a Top 5 player in the NBA - I really think he will be an all-NBA caliber player. I don't quite see that ceiling with Murray or Barrett (could happen). Both easily could become allstars (Murray is pretty much already), but SGA has the potential to be another tier up for them.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:00 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Totally random hypothetical. Let's say someone came back from 25 years in the future and told you that one of the Canadians currently playing in the NBA joined Steve Nash and James Naismith as the only Canadians in the Hall of Fame. Who would you think that would be? And how would you see the best-case scenario of their career turning out to have that happen.

I think I remember that Pete Newell got in the FIBA Hall of Fame, if you want to count that. Nash is in both, and I assume Naismith is probably in both also. I don't know if Newell is in the Basketball Hall of Fame...I'll look it up.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:04 pm

I looked it up.

Nash
Naismith
Newell (Canadian-American)

are all in both the Basketball Hall of Fame and the FIBA Hall of Fame.

American-Canadian Jack Donohue (Canada NT's long-time head coach) is in the FIBA Hall of Fame.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#79 » by mojo13 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:12 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

Pierre is a very good help type of player to have in a very deep and stacked team (like Fenerbahce), but he's not a 3 and D player at all. If Canada wants a good 3 and D player, then Doornekamp is clearly a better choice than Pierre.

Doornekamp is the typical example of a 3 and D player, as he is a very good defender, and a very good spot 3 point shooter, if left open.

Pierre is basically like a 1990s or 2000s NBA small forward type of player. Can guard either wing spot, is athletic, can stand at the 3 point line and hit some shots, because the defense chooses not guard them. But mainly is a player with the skill set of facing up or posting up smaller guards, and being a physical body on defense.

So basically, if you want a better player as a designated role playing 3 and D guy at the end of the rotation, then Doornekamp is a better player for Canada. If you want a better player in terms of how good is the player individually one on one, if you give him the ball, run plays for him, and make a point of him being a top 3 option on the offense, then Pierre is a better option for Canada.

Pierre isn't a designated 3 and D role player. A comparison for a recent NBA player isn't really coming to my mind right off the bat. But he reminds me of maybe someone like Bonzi Wells, or someone like that. Definitely not a 3 and D guy.

I sort of get what you are saying, as he is only hitting about 1 made three per game with Fener. So maybe the volume isn't there to define him as such (if there even is such a definition). But he has shown better volume at lower levels, and more importantly he is hitting near 50% of his threes. Perhaps that is an indication he is just taking wide open shots, but it seems to imply he could (should?) handle more volume. He is regarded as one of the best defenders in the EL so he has the D part going strong. His inside game and rebounding has always been strong considering his size - but it is his outside shooting that has been drastically improving year after year and is what opened the door to the EL this season.

Doornekamp is a little old and going downhill in skill and competition level. I respect his game more than most here, but I can't seem many scenarios nowadays where'd he'd be a better choice than Pierre.

Bonzi is an interesting comparison - but I thought of him as more of a not-a-great-shooting SG with a excellent post up game. He was fairly high volume and fairly inefficient. I've seen Pierre compared to Andre Iguodala. That has made a little more sense on the defensive end, but Iggy was a fairly poor outside shooter.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:44 pm

mojo13 wrote:I sort of get what you are saying, as he is only hitting about 1 made three per game with Fener. So maybe the volume isn't there to define him as such (if there even is such a definition). But he has shown better volume at lower levels, and more importantly he is hitting near 50% of his threes. Perhaps that is an indication he is just taking wide open shots, but it seems to imply he could (should?) handle more volume. He is regarded as one of the best defenders in the EL so he has the D part going strong. His inside game and rebounding has always been strong considering his size - but it is his outside shooting that has been drastically improving year after year and is what opened the door to the EL this season.

Doornekamp is a little old and going downhill in skill and competition level. I respect his game more than most here, but I can't seem many scenarios nowadays where'd he'd be a better choice than Pierre.

Bonzi is an interesting comparison - but I thought of him as more of a not-a-great-shooting SG with a excellent post up game. He was fairly high volume and fairly inefficient. I've seen Pierre compared to Andre Iguodala. That has made a little more sense on the defensive end, but Iggy was a fairly poor outside shooter.

How someone is regarded as defensively comes 95+% from fan comments and from media members. You have to rate how good someone is on defense from actual analysis. Pierre is no way close to being one of the best defenders in EuroLeague. He's an adequate OK defender. Doornekamp is a way better defender, and it's not even close.

As far as the 3 point shooting part goes, Pierre is a pretty good spot shooter from 3 point range. But that's dependent on him being left wide open by the defense, and having plenty of time to shoot. Teams choose to leave him wide open, because if he was guarded, he is no threat to score on an outside jumper.

So he's not like a Rondo, Giannis, or Rubio, where a team leaves him open to shoot, and he still struggles to shoot a good percentage. He's a guy that teams leave open, and he can knock those shots down with good consistency. But we are talking about taking wide open shots for the most part.

That's why he has a low amount of attempts. His release is very slow, and his elevation on his jumper is virtually non-existent. He basically shoots an old-time set shot, and his release point is also really low. Against any real defensive pressure, forget about him hitting those shots, he's not even getting those shot attempts off.

So you are talking about, if the defense leaves him open, and they likely will, getting a guy that can hit maybe 40 percent on shots where he has no one within 10 feet of him, and has like 2-3 seconds to get the shot off. So it's effective, but at the same time, very limited, and can easily be taken away by the defense.

Actually, Pierre is much better of an all around offensive player and scorer than a 3 and D player. He has individual scoring ability, a natural feel for just being able to score and get baskets, and he can also get his own baskets. You can ISO him in the high post, or on the elbow and he can take a point guard, two guard, or small forward by himself offensively.

You can also ISO him at the top of the key, and he can beat a defender off the dribble, get into the lane, and get a high percentage shot attempt, or a foul. So he's actually much more balanced as a scorer than a 3 and D player. And he's not a threat in shooting 3s unless he's left by the defense. And he's decent on defense, but nothing close to being a defensive stopper or lockdown defender.

Doornekamp is pretty much a classic 3 and D player. Pierre is a better individual player in terms of scoring ability and one to one skills. But if you are talking about having a player just for a 3 and D role, then I think Doornekamp is clearly such a player.

So it is a philosophical coaching issue I guess. Personally, I would rather have Pierre on my team, as I prefer players that can do more things in an all around sense, but if we are talking about a coach that strictly wants a role of specifically a 3 and D player, then Doornekamp is much more suited for that role.

Return to Toronto Raptors