20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: 20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News 

Post#581 » by jake_swivel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:55 am

Does this year count as a year on vit krecji's contract since he was rehabbing with the OKC Blue or nah?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#582 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:22 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Does this year count as a year on vit krecji's contract since he was rehabbing with the OKC Blue or nah?

Good question. I'm not completely sure but here is what I found...

I guess it's similar to a draft and stash even though he technically isn't stashed since he's in Oklahoma. So we have his rights but he hasn't signed a contract yet. I was doing some reading on it and it looks like there is some flexibility involved with the team that drafts him, the team he may currently be under contract with and the player himself. It looks like he's under contract with Casademont Zaragoza through 2022.

Him being with the blue for rehab is kind of confusing. I don't know if he was on the bench during games or just staying with the team doing his own rehab. I don't know if that makes any difference. The fact that none of the websites with salary cap info have his name on them leads me to believe there is some kind of an agreement in place between Vit, OKC and Casademont Zaragoza that will be completed after his rehab is done and OKC wants to sign him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Post#583 » by Devilanche » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:31 pm

jake_swivel wrote:Does this year count as a year on vit krecji's contract since he was rehabbing with the OKC Blue or nah?

Doesn’t . His contract is with OKC blue but I guess we have an agreement with him that he will be with the full squad next season. He probably is paid a small amount by OKC blue though .

I used huestis as reference.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#584 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Here is a snip it of some comments from John Hollinger about Moses Brown. Nothing spectacular but nice to see him getting some attention.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Rookie of the Week: Moses Brown, C, Oklahoma City*
* Yes, I know he’s not technically a rookie

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one that I’ve been watching).

I’m breaking my own rules to talk about Brown this week. No, he isn’t a rookie – he left UCLA after his freshman year in 2019 and spent all of last season as a two-way player with the Blazers.

But the 21-year-old Brown barely played at the NBA level (just 33 minutes) in 2019-20 before signing another 2-way deal with Oklahoma City this year. Nobody thought much of it until he went to the G League bubble and crushed it, averaging 18.5 points and 13.9 rebounds with a 26.7 PER. At 7-foot-2 with long arms and quick leaping ability, his elevator goes higher than everybody else’s.

The Thunder called him up post-bubble and immediately thrust him into their rotation, and he responded with 20 points and 16 rebounds against Chicago, then 19 and 12 a week later against Memphis. With the recent decision to mothball Al Horford and Mike Muscala and tank more earnestly (wait, did I say that out loud?), they pushed Brown into the lineup as their starting center against Boston on Saturday.

The result? A phenomenal 17 points and 19 rebounds in the first half alone, along with an equally phenomenal tweet from our Jared Weiss. Brown cooled off after the break but finished with 21 points and 23 boards in 33 minutes.

It’s only 280 total minutes, but Brown’s season stats demand a double take: 22.1 points, 21.6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per 100 minutes on 61.9 percent shooting. Small sample, yes, but he also leads the Thunder in PER at 22.8.

Brown’s game plan is simple – he dunks and rebounds. Nearly all his damage comes inside the charge circle, with 32 of his 52 field goals thus far being dunks. When you’re 7-foot-2 and can run and jump, that’s enough.

Brown’s size and mobility had always attracted the eye of scouts, but he had never put things together on the basketball court, either at UCLA or last year in the G League. This year, he has, and while his thin frame still can get pushed around at times, he seems to have more functional strength in his lower body as well.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#585 » by cjmcallist » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:01 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Here is a snip it of some comments from John Hollinger about Moses Brown. Nothing spectacular but nice to see him getting some attention.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one that I’ve been watching).

I’m breaking my own rules to talk about Brown this week. No, he isn’t a rookie – he left UCLA after his freshman year in 2019 and spent all of last season as a two-way player with the Blazers.

But the 21-year-old Brown barely played at the NBA level (just 33 minutes) in 2019-20 before signing another 2-way deal with Oklahoma City this year. Nobody thought much of it until he went to the G League bubble and crushed it, averaging 18.5 points and 13.9 rebounds with a 26.7 PER. At 7-foot-2 with long arms and quick leaping ability, his elevator goes higher than everybody else’s.

The Thunder called him up post-bubble and immediately thrust him into their rotation, and he responded with 20 points and 16 rebounds against Chicago, then 19 and 12 a week later against Memphis. With the recent decision to mothball Al Horford and Mike Muscala and tank more earnestly (wait, did I say that out loud?), they pushed Brown into the lineup as their starting center against Boston on Saturday.

The result? A phenomenal 17 points and 19 rebounds in the first half alone, along with an equally phenomenal tweet from our Jared Weiss. Brown cooled off after the break but finished with 21 points and 23 boards in 33 minutes.

It’s only 280 total minutes, but Brown’s season stats demand a double take: 22.1 points, 21.6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per 100 minutes on 61.9 percent shooting. Small sample, yes, but he also leads the Thunder in PER at 22.8.

Brown’s game plan is simple – he dunks and rebounds. Nearly all his damage comes inside the charge circle, with 32 of his 52 field goals thus far being dunks. When you’re 7-foot-2 and can run and jump, that’s enough.

Brown’s size and mobility had always attracted the eye of scouts, but he had never put things together on the basketball court, either at UCLA or last year in the G League. This year, he has, and while his thin frame still can get pushed around at times, he seems to have more functional strength in his lower body as well.

Also, sounds like Barnes from FSU is a OKC prospect. lol
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#586 » by Old Man Game » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:03 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Here is a snip it of some comments from John Hollinger about Moses Brown. Nothing spectacular but nice to see him getting some attention.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

His growth just from the start of the season until now has been impressive. In preseason he looked like one of those dudes who would be doing good to make in in the Australian league. I thought there was no chance he'd ever get a real NBA contract let alone start and have a PER over 20!

Still not entirely sure where this experiment goes but early results are promising.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#587 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Also, sounds like Barnes from FSU is a OKC prospect. lol

I hope not unless he falls in the draft. I'm hoping we continue to build the international thunder.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#588 » by retrobro90 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

I hope not unless he falls in the draft. I'm hoping we continue to build the international thunder.

What range are you thinking for Barnes where you'd be okay taking him? To me he's still the best prospect outside of the top 5.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#589 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

What range are you thinking for Barnes where you'd be okay taking him? To me he's still the best prospect outside of the top 5.

Ugghh...I really don't know. For me, Scottie Barnes as a prospect is interesting. Scottie Barnes alongside Dort, Poku and Bazley seems like a disaster. I'm not saying everyone on the roster needs to be a sniper from three but with the current configuration of our roster it doesn't seem like it would maximize his skills or help us too much. It also don't feel like he's so talented that like some of the other guys that we should ignore fit. Lastly, in addition to not being a good shooter, the few times I watched him he takes some really dumb shots. You've probably watched him more than me so maybe I'm off base. He just feels like a guy that if we draft, he will frustrate me to no end and if we don't take him, we'll regret it.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,133

Post#590 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I hope not unless he falls in the draft. I'm hoping we continue to build the international thunder.

Ugghh...I really don't know. For me, Scottie Barnes as a prospect is interesting. Scottie Barnes alongside Dort, Poku and Bazley seems like a disaster. I'm not saying everyone on the roster needs to be a sniper from three but with the current configuration of our roster it doesn't seem like it would maximize his skills or help us too much. It also don't feel like he's so talented that like some of the other guys that we should ignore fit. Lastly, in addition to not being a good shooter, the few times I watched him he takes some really dumb shots. You've probably watched him more than me so maybe I'm off base. He just feels like a guy that if we draft, he will frustrate me to no end and if we don't take him, we'll regret it.

Feel the same about Barnes. Would at least draft Moody and Wagner over him.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#591 » by retrobro90 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I hope not unless he falls in the draft. I'm hoping we continue to build the international thunder.

Yeah this all seems salient and accurate. I think Barnes is a guy though that'll look better with NBA spacing and I think OKC could improve his balance/handle a la Grant. Also think he's a combo big and not a wing like some evaluators so the J specifically doesn't concern me if he never gets to sniper levels (he will not). You see the glimpses at FSU though where his balance is under him and he just puts his head down toward the rim like he's Giannis or something. All that combined with his motor/defense/work ethic etc I just think he's a stud.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#592 » by Balkman32 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:38 pm

Anyone know what kind of deal he signed? Was it the Lu Dort Special?
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#593 » by thedoppelganger » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#594 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:45 pm

thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'll take it.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,133

Post#595 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:31 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
thedoppelganger wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'll take it.

yeah it's pretty good.

Potential to become as good as Dort's contract but Dort was playing at a way higher level when he signed his deal.

Kind of life changing deal for Brown if he can't meet the expectations so pretty normal for him to accept.

Low risk/high reward for us.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#596 » by Old Man Game » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:37 pm

Dn4sty wrote::-?
Old Man Game wrote:We're finally seeing a true tanking lineup consistently out there and its invigorating. I know this is more or less this is most directly attributable to Shai sitting out but its also the simple stuff like shelving Horford and Muscala and you just have to ask yourself why we weren't doing this sooner.

I wonder if we see the growth from players on this team if they outright implemented the tank sooner. I guess my point comes down to this: Does SGA become this good if he doesn’t play as much as he has this season?

Wanted to reply to this over here opposed to the Dallas game thread.

My thinking is from the start we would have still played Shai and Dort. Those guys are the future. But playing someone like Muscala starts to seem more and more indefensible the more you think about it. We're below the salary floor. They could have just paid him to leave. How can a player of that level feel like he's being screwed if he gets his money?

I assume the thinking was Horford was tradeable so they didn't want to do something similar with him, but you have to wonder at this point why he even played as much as he did. I guess there was some image/game rehab going on there maybe. Still, would have been nice to just straight up give him a check and send him on his way as well.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,057

Post#597 » by slick_watts » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:18 pm

moses gets sam presti's standard deal it seems. dort and moses both have team options on their last season as opposed to k. williams, whose final year is non-guaranteed. late guarantee dates on williams' deal for both seasons too. his last year has a guarantee date on the first day of the regular season. if he continues to play well he could be a valuable trade commodity next season.

it's unlikely, but something to think about. a large number of players on our current roster have contract amounts for 2022-23. horford will probably be bought out next year so will not be on 2022-23 cap sheet. first year of shai extension. thunder could have flexibility to add another star or two via trade or free agency in 2022-23, and presumably have a host of cheap role players to sourround them.

poku, bazley, jerome, maledon, williams, roby, dort, brown = ~22mil in 2022-23. + shai and + rookie next year and you still have a max salary slot + more.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#598 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Lowry out tonight as well
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,057

Post#599 » by slick_watts » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:32 pm

Devilanche wrote:

Doesn’t . His contract is with OKC blue but I guess we have an agreement with him that he will be with the full squad next season. He probably is paid a small amount by OKC blue though .

I used huestis as reference.

krejci isn't subject to the rookie scale like huestis was- this is what made the huestis thing so bizarre. but yes, he signed a contract with the okc blue.

the odd part of this whole thing is that he's also under contract with his european team, still, from what i can tell. while their season is still going! that might be a first.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#600 » by jambalaya » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:32 pm

His old team must be waiting for a contract buyout from Thunder and / or Krejci.

Assuming the relationship with the Blue was legal, it might be seen again. Actually playing with the Blue could be a different story.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder