Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#201 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:54 am

payitforward wrote:Look... I hope Chandler Hutchison works out for us, but this was a trade between two teams that wanted to get rid of players. The Bulls did not want to keep Chandler Hutchison. To get rid of him, they were willing to take Troy Brown -- a player whom you guys hyping Hutchison think is not at all good & whom, obviously, the Wizards had given up on & wanted to get rid of.

As to Hutchison, the first thing is to hope that he can play in the league. That hasn't been shown. & for that reason, there is no one on planet earth whose option we would turn down just because our having Hutchison under contract somehow means we don't need that guy.

To make it concrete:

This year, Troy played 287 minutes for us. Chandler Hutchison played 64 minutes. Troy was bad. Hutchison was much worse. Last year, Troy played 1785 minutes & played very well. Chandler Hutchison played 527 minutes -- he wasn't nearly as good as Brown. As rookies, on the other hand, they were both pretty good all in all though neither played all that much -- Hutchison played a little more & a little better. At the start of their rookie year, Hutchison was already 22. Troy was 19. Hutchison had played 2000 minutes of college ball before Troy even started college!

I hope Chandler Hutchison can play basketball in the NBA with some success of some kind. That's as far as it goes.

I am expecting absolutely nothing from Hutchison. The guy turns 25 in a month and he has done jack squat so far in his career.
Frankly, I'd be happy if we could just dump his contract. He is going to be a dead weight 15th man like Gill. I'd rather sign an undrafted free agent or G-League prospect.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#202 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:56 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I'd like to see them keep Bryant, Gafford and Len next year. Hopefully Bryant comes back and doesn't miss a beat, Gafford as an athletic defensive sub, Len for depth and size when needed.

I'm pretty sure it will be Bryant, Gafford, and the best center they can get for the vet minimum. Len might be that guy, or someone else about as good as him.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#203 » by NatP4 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:46 am

nate33 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I'd like to see them keep Bryant, Gafford and Len next year. Hopefully Bryant comes back and doesn't miss a beat, Gafford as an athletic defensive sub, Len for depth and size when needed.

I'm pretty sure it will be Bryant, Gafford, and the best center they can get for the vet minimum. Len might be that guy, or someone else about as good as him.

It will be Sengun. I promise.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#204 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:09 am

It'd be nice if the 3rd center had some positional versatility, but those types of bigs seem to be harder to come by each year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#205 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:54 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Actually I think Shepp would like your favorite. Wagner. Positional versatility along with the desired foreign component.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#206 » by NatP4 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm pretty sure it will be Bryant, Gafford, and the best center they can get for the vet minimum. Len might be that guy, or someone else about as good as him.

Actually I think Shepp would like your favorite. Wagner. Positional versatility along with the desired foreign component.

Giddey is a dark-horse. Especially if they keep Bonga(would already have a German player). They love to let everyone know about just how many different countries are represented on the wizards.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#207 » by HomoSapien » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:25 pm

Just wanted to add --- possibly the most underrated thing about Gafford is that he fully understands what he is. He never tries to play beyond his skillset, has never voiced expectations about being a starter, etc. I think that realization is pretty rare for a young player.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#208 » by HomoSapien » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:29 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Wizards won in the deal. Easily.

I think it was pretty good for both teams. Bulls converted Gafford and Hutch to Theis and Brown. Theis in-particular is more important to a playoff run, and Brown at least has a shot to get into games, whereas Hutch was essentially off the roster. For the Wizards, they get a young center that could very easily be a long-term rotation center. Both teams got exactly what they wanted, and no one got screwed.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#209 » by Frichuela » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 pm

HomoSapien wrote:

I think it was pretty good for both teams. Bulls converted Gafford and Hutch to Theis and Brown. Theis in-particular is more important to playoff run, and Brown at least has a shot to get into games, whereas Hutch was essentially off the roster. For the Wizards, they get a young center that could very easily be a long-term rotation center. Both teams got exactly what they wanted, and no one got screwed.

Thank you for your constructive comment. I agree!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#210 » by gambitx777 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:07 pm

Yeah I think this trade comes down to hutch. Does hutch become what he could have been? Doubtful, but if he does then that's the tell right there.
HomoSapien wrote:

I think it was pretty good for both teams. Bulls converted Gafford and Hutch to Theis and Brown. Theis in-particular is more important to a playoff run, and Brown at least has a shot to get into games, whereas Hutch was essentially off the roster. For the Wizards, they get a young center that could very easily be a long-term rotation center. Both teams got exactly what they wanted, and no one got screwed.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#211 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:39 am

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Look... I hope Chandler Hutchison works out for us, but this was a trade between two teams that wanted to get rid of players. The Bulls did not want to keep Chandler Hutchison. To get rid of him, they were willing to take Troy Brown -- a player whom you guys hyping Hutchison think is not at all good & whom, obviously, the Wizards had given up on & wanted to get rid of.

As to Hutchison, the first thing is to hope that he can play in the league. That hasn't been shown. & for that reason, there is no one on planet earth whose option we would turn down just because our having Hutchison under contract somehow means we don't need that guy.

To make it concrete:

This year, Troy played 287 minutes for us. Chandler Hutchison played 64 minutes. Troy was bad. Hutchison was much worse. Last year, Troy played 1785 minutes & played very well. Chandler Hutchison played 527 minutes -- he wasn't nearly as good as Brown. As rookies, on the other hand, they were both pretty good all in all though neither played all that much -- Hutchison played a little more & a little better. At the start of their rookie year, Hutchison was already 22. Troy was 19. Hutchison had played 2000 minutes of college ball before Troy even started college!

I hope Chandler Hutchison can play basketball in the NBA with some success of some kind. That's as far as it goes.

I am expecting absolutely nothing from Hutchison. The guy turns 25 in a month and he has done jack squat so far in his career.
Frankly, I'd be happy if we could just dump his contract. He is going to be a dead weight 15th man like Gill. I'd rather sign an undrafted free agent or G-League prospect.

Yeah, egg on your face.

Better output than Troy Brown Jr. already, as I called yesterday.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#212 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:43 am

Tremendous trade by the Wizards.

Gafford and Hutchison are two players who are ready to pop offensively. They are going to succeed with Washington.

Just look at Westbrook with these guys running. And yes they won the Westbrook /Wall trade (by a lot).
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#213 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 am

All you people who use the stupid phrase “but they were on the bench for (another team)” you need to take a look.

Sometime the other coaches are morons.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#214 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:44 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:

To make it concrete:

Yeah, egg on your face.

He had a nice game. It's one game though, a little early for the hot takes. Let's see him do it for 5 games before we consider him a keeper.

It would sure be nice if he can fill the role of an athletic 3&D guard/forward.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#215 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:50 am

Absolutely great to see him play so well! Ditto Gafford. Keep it up, guys!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#216 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:50 am

nate33 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:I am expecting absolutely nothing from Hutchison. The guy turns 25 in a month and he has done jack squat so far in his career.

Yeah, egg on your face.

He had a nice game. It's one game though, a little early for the hot takes. Let's see him do it for 5 games before we consider him a keeper.

Wasn't too early for you to unload on him. Maybe you should have waited at least a game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#217 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:58 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

Yeah, egg on your face.

Wasn't too early for you to unload on him. Maybe you should have waited at least a game.

He has been in the NBA for 3 years and he turns 25 in a month. It's not like I unloaded on a guy the first game after he was drafted.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#218 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:03 am

Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#219 » by HomoSapien » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 am

HomoSapien wrote:You should have no expectations of Hutch and if you get anything consider it a win.

So, um, about that...

What a debut for Hutch! I can't help but enjoy his success, I'm definitely not rooting against him. If this game isn't a fluke, then it'll have to lead to the Bulls examining what institutional failures stopped his development, especially given that they were so high on him coming out of the draft. On the outside looking in, it never felt that way though. Hutch got minutes when he was healthy, the problem was just that he never was.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie

Post#220 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:19 am

nate33 wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
nate33 wrote:He had a nice game. It's one game though, a little early for the hot takes. Let's see him do it for 5 games before we consider him a keeper.

He has been in the NBA for 3 years and he turns 25 in a month. It's not like I unloaded on a guy the first game after he was drafted.

Well, I had never seen him play and I based my assessment solely off of his college and NBA highlights.

Return to Washington Wizards