Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Pacers Odds and Ends 

Post#141 » by Topofthekey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

What I would do doesn’t matter, and I suspect it’s the opposite of how the front office feels.

At the time, the issue wasn’t just money with Thad. It was a starting position, or the chance to earn it. We told him straight up he was going to come off the bench because of Sabonis earning a promotion, and we told him we were only willing to give him a 2 year deal. He went to Chicago for a chance to start, more money, and a partially guaranteed 3rd year on top of those two things. He was one of the first free agents off the board that offseason.

This is where I am saying, in hindsight, they should have given him the money and the 3rd year

They ended up giving Lamb a 3 year deal anyway, so now we have Lamb instead of Thad

Yes, even if that meant we couldn't have signed TJ, because right now I'd rather have Thad instead of Lamb and TJ

Sure. We lack a backup PF right now, but I'm willing to assume that if we had kept Thad, and everything else stayed the same, we'd equally be looking for a backup PG right now, too.

True. But I'd rather have Thad instead of TJ right now all the same

Caris can play some backup PG when Brogdon sits, especially if the report that Pacers were open to trading Brogdon because they felt Caris can play PG is true

They can also try developing Aaron. He's been asked to play off ball this season, and the results aren't good so far. Feels like his best role is to be the backup ball handler. Compared to TJ he's more of a scoring PG, but there's value in that too

It's not perfect, but it's better than playing Justin or Doug or Lamb at PF

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:As for the starting job, I'm not sure that was even a factor

Like you said, he must have known that we wanted to start Sabonis, yet he made it known that he wanted to be back

It was heavily reported to be a major factor. He wanted to return, but he wanted to return as the starter, and he didn't really care if that meant we had to trade Sabonis or not, he just wanted it.
He only started 16 out of 64 games he played in his first season with the Bulls anyway, so it's not like they gave him a job as a starter either

Sure, but they gave him the chance to start. We told him that he would not other than injuries.

By sheer cap mechanics, it would definitely have required we didn't acquire Lamb and one of TJ or Justin. That's a fact. The other reality is that for Thad to return, we probably would have had to deal Sabonis before last season during that free agency period.

It's hard to say. I don't remember reading anything about Thad wanting to be a starter even if it meant trading Domas

If that was true, then obviously we 'd rather just let Thad walk than accommodate him

But looking at his tenure with the Bulls so far, he seems to be embracing the bench role, so it feels like he would have embraced the bench role here as well
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#142 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:This is where I am saying, in hindsight, they should have given him the money and the 3rd year

They ended up giving Lamb a 3 year deal anyway, so now we have Lamb instead of Thad

Yes, even if that meant we couldn't have signed TJ, because right now I'd rather have Thad instead of Lamb and TJ

Sure. We lack a backup PF right now, but I'm willing to assume that if we had kept Thad, and everything else stayed the same, we'd equally be looking for a backup PG right now, too.

True. But I'd rather have Thad instead of TJ right now all the same

Caris can play some backup PG when Brogdon sits, especially if the report that Pacers were open to trading Brogdon because they felt Caris can play PG is true

They can also try developing Aaron. He's been asked to play off ball this season, and the results aren't good so far. Feels like his best role is to be the backup ball handler. Compared to TJ he's more of a scoring PG, but there's value in that too

It's not perfect, but it's better than playing Justin or Doug or Lamb at PF

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:As for the starting job, I'm not sure that was even a factor

Like you said, he must have known that we wanted to start Sabonis, yet he made it known that he wanted to be back

It was heavily reported to be a major factor. He wanted to return, but he wanted to return as the starter, and he didn't really care if that meant we had to trade Sabonis or not, he just wanted it.
He only started 16 out of 64 games he played in his first season with the Bulls anyway, so it's not like they gave him a job as a starter either

Sure, but they gave him the chance to start. We told him that he would not other than injuries.

By sheer cap mechanics, it would definitely have required we didn't acquire Lamb and one of TJ or Justin. That's a fact. The other reality is that for Thad to return, we probably would have had to deal Sabonis before last season during that free agency period.

It's hard to say. I don't remember reading anything about Thad wanting to be a starter even if it meant trading Domas

If that was true, then obviously we 'd rather just let Thad walk than accommodate him

But looking at his tenure with the Bulls so far, he seems to be embracing the bench role, so it feels like he would have embraced the bench role here as well

He expected to start in Indy. He was not comfortable taking a pay cut for a demotion on the team he had built.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:47 pm

SI has interesting thoughts on the decrease of importance of rebounding which could explain some of our issues there.

Basically, with the rise of the 3, there’s less rebounders in the lane, and offenses are turning to prevent transition opportunities rather than crashing the boards hard.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#146 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:28 am

Oladipo hurt knee tonight.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:57 am

Wizop wrote:Oladipo hurt knee tonight.

Sent from my phone.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#148 » by boomershadow » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:10 am

Levert all the sudden looking like a really good return lol.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by Topofthekey » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:26 am

Oladipo is really going to regret turning down that max extension from the Pacers if his injuries prevent him from getting a big contract in the off-season

He gambled that someone would pay him more on the open market, and it's not looking like a good gamble right now

If anything, Pacers might have dodged a bullet when Oladipo turned down the extension
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#150 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:57 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Oladipo is really going to regret turning down that max extension from the Pacers if his injuries prevent him from getting a big contract in the off-season.

Schadenfreude - I don't want to feel good about anyone being injured, but this was my first thought too.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:34 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Oladipo is really going to regret turning down that max extension from the Pacers if his injuries prevent him from getting a big contract in the off-season.

Schadenfreude - I don't want to feel good about anyone being injured, but this was my first thought too.

In all honesty, he might still be happy if he doesn’t get the full max extension we offered, but if he gets a good amount in Miami. :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by Topofthekey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:40 pm

Pacers aren't tanking. Raptors aren't tanking

Pacers currently has 4.8% chance at a top 4 pick. Raptors has 29%

Can we do "not tanking" like how Raptors do it?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Pacers aren't tanking. Raptors aren't tanking

Pacers currently has 4.8% chance at a top 4 pick. Raptors has 29%

Can we do "not tanking" like how Raptors do it?

In fairness to the Raptors, they’ve been playing a thousand miles from home, and have had a ton of injuries, and a bad Covid run through the locker room where they were running only 7 guys for a couple weeks, and using their trainer as the lead assistant coach on the bench for awhile.

But otherwise, I’m just all about Aaron, Goga and Sumner getting 20 minutes EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. I’d like to see Bowen, Martin, and Stanley get a short 2-3 minute run, at least, every game, too. Keep Brogdon and Sabonis to about 32 minutes a night. From there, play it as usual and let the chips fall where they may.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by Topofthekey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm

OK, that's it, we're not trading Myles
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good for Alize.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by Topofthekey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Let's hope Alize is the last young talent that the team wastes and fails to develop

Let's hope they do a better job with Cassius Stanley, and whoever they draft this year
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#158 » by Jake0890 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:44 pm

Very happy for Alize, I like him a lot as a player. But this is just one more case of the Pacers developing talent for other teams. Incredible.

Imo, the dude clearly had a role in the NBA. We never really even gave him a shot. Just sad. Ability to identify talent in the draft means nothing if they don't have an opportunity...
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by Topofthekey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:05 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Very happy for Alize, I like him a lot as a player. But this is just one more case of the Pacers developing talent for other teams. Incredible.

Imo, the dude clearly had a role in the NBA. We never really even gave him a shot. Just sad. Ability to identify talent in the draft means nothing if they don't have an opportunity...

To be fair, he was quite raw when he played in whatever limited minutes that he did get

It's obvious now he's going to have an NBA career though

Pacers just failed to give him the opportunity to grow

Doug, TJ, and even Lamb were all solid signings. But you have to wonder what the game plan here is, constantly signing these decent but not great players only to have them come in and take playing time away from the young players on the team, and then watch them leave for a bigger contract with another team after they've gotten the opportunity to showcase themselves here
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#160 » by Topofthekey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 pm

Goga is great in these. There's an earlier episode before this one

Return to Indiana Pacers