ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,219

Re: Wizards trade Brown and Wagner for Gafford and Hutchinson 

Post#221 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 am

nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?

I’m trying to remember who he looks like....some dude that played for the clippers like 10 years ago. Was a wing player that was a good shooter.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#222 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 am

I’m all aboard the Daniel Gafford hype train. I think we found our C of the future. Hutchison looks like a quality low usage off the ball 3&D wing with smart cutting ability. His defense was outstanding from what I saw.
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#223 » by wall_glizzy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 am

nate33 wrote:Whatever my opinion is on Hutchison, can we all agree that he has the most amazing hairline in the NBA?

The cornrows hide it a bit, but I'd still have a hard time putting him ahead of Paul "Threehead" George

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#224 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 am

Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though they're about the same weight - and real good agility. Once he got the yips out with a couple bad passes, he was clicking with Westbrook - like everyone else was.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#225 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:16 am

Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though he's listed at 195 lbs - I'd guess he's closer to 220 with the hair - great agility.

I Googled his injury about 5 minutes before you posted. I can't remember feeling as deflated seeing an injured Wizard since Gilbert Arenas' injury back in the day.

Gafford may actually be as important to the defense (and aspects of the offense) as Gilbert Arenas was to the offense.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#226 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:31 pm

The Wizards stumble onto exactly the type of C they have needed for years
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#227 » by MDStar » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:13 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Any word on Gafford's ankle? Not a good sign that he was in a wheelchair.

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though he's listed at 195 lbs - I'd guess he's closer to 220 with the hair - great agility.

I Googled his injury about 5 minutes before you posted. I can't remember feeling as deflated seeing an injured Wizard since Gilbert Arenas' injury back in the day.

Gafford may actually be as important to the defense (and aspects of the offense) as Gilbert Arenas was to the offense.

I know you said "may" but that's a helluva statement to make at 1.5 games.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#228 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm

The trade's looking great. Hitch is quite an athlete - looks a lot stronger than TBJ even though they're about the same weight - and real good agility. Once he got the yips out with a couple bad passes, he was clicking with Westbrook - like everyone else was.

He was standing with a cane in the locker room during their celebration of Westbrook's historic night.

I bet he's in a walking boot for a couple weeks... definitely out 4-6 weeks IMO just of how high ankle sprains are...
NatP4
RealGM

Post#229 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:29 pm

closg00 wrote:The Wizards stumble onto exactly the type of C they have needed for years

I give them a little bit more credit than that just because Sheppard did acquire one of the pieces used in the trade(Wagner) for practically nothing, and he wasn’t technically the guy that drafted Brown Jr.
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#230 » by Doug_Blew » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Not sure if true, but there was a report that Markkanen was Shepherd's initial target but took Gafford and Hutch as the fallback plan. I'm happy that he did.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#231 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Nothing new, but this was the view from Rotoworld.com:

Daniel Gafford went high in the air for a rebound on Monday and came down Edmond Sumner's foot and badly injured his right ankle.

He'll surely have an MRI and hope that nothing is broken but this didn't look good on television and he is likely to miss substantial time with the injury, just from a first glance. He was playing well, hitting 4-of-6 shots for 11 points, six rebounds and two blocks in 15 minutes. If he's going to miss time look for Alex Len and Robin Lopez to get most of the center minutes in Washington.

Mar 29, 2021, 8:58 PM ET
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#232 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm

After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

15 points 10 rebounds 3.4 blocks 1.1 steals on 71% TS.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:38 pm

NatP4 wrote:After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#234 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Read on Twitter
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#235 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:48 pm

MDStar wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

I know you said "may" but that's a helluva statement to make at 1.5 games.

It is early, I know, but given the crap paint defense that the team's endured for so long and seeing how Gafford's altered both games he's played as a Wizard, IMO it's fair.

Last great Wizards' paint defender that comes to mind is Emeka Okafor, I think Gafford is somewhere in the area.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#236 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:

I’m trying to remember who he looks like....some dude that played for the clippers like 10 years ago. Was a wing player that was a good shooter.

Matt Barnes?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#237 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Matt Barnes?

Figured it out. Ryan Gomes.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#238 » by queridiculo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:06 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:After just 2 games with the wiz, Gafford’s numbers for the 2020-2021 season per 36:

He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

But seriously, the trade is not only important for getting 2 talented young players; it's that the 2 players both put an emphasis on defense. It's like getting a head start on the off-season goals.

Gafford being under team control for two more season after this one is a real boon.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#239 » by Frichuela » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Gafford being under team control for two more season after this one is a real boon.

Agreed and on a very cheap contract! plus the RFA option at the end :nod:
NatP4
RealGM

Post#240 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Frichuela wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He was already proving to be the anti-tank missile, so... arrangements had to be made.

Agreed and on a very cheap contract! plus the RFA option at the end :nod:

That extra year is huge. Even if Gafford turns out to be a home run and develops into a star player, we can re sign him because Westbrook comes off the books that off-season. Brown Jr would likely have become a cap casualty if he were to breakout before the end of his rookie deal.

It was a small move that put the wiz in a MUCH better situation financially. Now, if only they would’ve moved Bertans....

Return to Washington Wizards