ImageImageImage

Jaden McDaniels' Position

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Primarily, where would you play Jaden McDaniels?

SF
78%
PF
22%

Total votes: 36

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Jaden McDaniels' Position 

Post#1 » by Baseline81 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Disregarding the Wolves' roster, what is McDaniels' best position going forward?

I feel he's a SF who you can sprinkle in minutes at PF. Will he be able to put on the necessary weight for PF? Not sure I want him to as I like how he's been able to slow down ball handlers (Doncic and Harden). Depending on the PF between McDaniels and Towns, the Wolves' size may be a strength.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Re: Jaden McDaniels' Position 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:42 pm

I think he will be versatile enough to play both forward positions. He gets stronger he can handle most 4's. Some 3's maybe too quick for him but he was guarding Harden pretty well last night so I don't think that will be a problem. His biggest weaknesses are strength and rebounding right now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#3 » by ClarkeW » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Right now, definitely SF. In a few years time if he’s able to add some muscle, I think he could eventually transition to PF.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#4 » by wolfen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Having 2 way players at every position who just happen to be bigger / longer than their counterpart at their position cannot be understated. Let's say this happens... McD pans out to be a true 2 way player, we draft Mobley and he becomes a legit 2 way player. McD starts at the 3 and Mobley the 4. That is an INSANE advantage right there. Yes, they both need to put on some beef in the coming years, and that will happen naturally. And putting McD at the 3 moves Ant to the 2 where he has an even bigger physical advantage at that position. That leaves Towns at the 5, his size for a C is adequate, not great, not bad. And then there's DLo, who even though he's 6-5 with a long wingspan, he doesn't have the physicality to take advantage of those gifts (but you can't have it all).

There are 2 guys on my radar to have on the squad next year (either / or) at the PG position that would provide some real toughness and grit:

1 - Davion Mitchell - If we could make some deals this summer before the draft to acquire a pick in the teens, I would target Mitchell for this purpose.

2 - TJ McConnel - He'll be a free agent this summer and wouldn't break the bank but would be a ridiculously good defensive backup PG with toughness and supreme effort.

The thing about Mitchell is that he's already 22 so he'd be good to go right out of the gate. Bare minimum he'd be a great backup PG from the jump. Incredible defense, great penetrator, isn't selfish, and is a very good shooter. And the physical traits - built like a tank and super quick - something we haven't had at the PG position. Maybe he's better than just a backup, you never know. If he comes out with his hair on fire and ended up being the starter, you'd have a physical advantage at EVERY position on the court.

So ya, right now my pipe dream is that we draft Mobley and Mitchell and they both explode right away.

Mitchell / Ant / McD / Mobley / KAT

And some good vets...

Cheers!! :D :D
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#5 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:20 pm

wolfen wrote:

So ya, right now my pipe dream is that we draft Mobley and Mitchell and they both explode right away.

And some good vets...

Sadly... it's unlikely the Wolves keep the pick.

And what asset can you point to that would bring back a near-lottery-level pick in a trade?

The team is not primed for big things moving forward if it doesn't hold on to that GSW pick AND hits it big by drafting the best player.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#6 » by Sugarless » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 pm

He's a SF, there's no question about it. His man defense suffers against bigger, stronger players and it shines against smaller guys due to his lateral quickness and length. I don't think he will (nor should) put on a lot of weight either going forward. He's better served as a 3 that can play some 4 than the other way around.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by ChiefKeith91 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:58 pm

McDaniels is a 3 more than 4. With him starting to put the ball on the floor more it’s even more evident now. He won’t gain much weight and will be the same size for his career similar to Ingram, and KD. Some kids can’t gain weight to save their lives.

I am all aboard the Mobley train. Those 2 at the 3 and 4 will provide a lot of versatility and defensive potential. You’ll just hope Ant uses his physical skills to become an average defender, Dlo’s length at 6’5 allows him to keep getting deflections/ passing lane steals, and KAT a weak side shot blocker. I know it’s a wish list but if they bring in a new defensive coach (Dan Burke, Wes Unseld Jr, Adrian Griffin) I’m confident it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#8 » by ChiefKeith91 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:59 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
wolfen wrote:

And some good vets...

And what asset can you point to that would bring back a near-lottery-level pick in a trade?

The team is not primed for big things moving forward if it doesn't hold on to that GSW pick AND hits it big by drafting the best player.

Maybe Beasley or Rubio gets you a Teen FRP

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#9 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 pm

He is a SF and frankly it would be criminal to have him change his body in the hopes he can play PF.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,398

Post#10 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:09 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
wolfen wrote:

And some good vets...

Maybe Beasley or Rubio gets you a Teen FRP

I can see Beasley.

But we've already seen the value of Rubio... when the Wolves acquired him. And it's only gone down since.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#11 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Hes gonna be KG next year
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#12 » by Norseman79 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 pm

I have said he is a 3 since we drafted him
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#13 » by Krapinsky » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 pm

I think he has much more upside as a 3 than as a 4.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,483

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 am

I am not going to argue if he is a PF or SF in NBA (ideally). But on this Wolves roster if he is not a PF, they have a ton of trading to do. Edwards is playing SF because Wolves roster is soooo messed up (balance).

Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Edwards, Nowell, Okogie are all ideal guards. No way do they find enough minutes for all of them and McDaniels at SF.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#15 » by ChiefKeith91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm

Wolveswin wrote:I am not going to argue if he is a PF or SF in NBA (ideally). But on this Wolves roster if he is not a PF, they have a ton of trading to do. Edwards is playing SF because Wolves roster is soooo messed up (balance).

Russell, Rubio, Beasley, Edwards, Nowell, Okogie are all ideal guards. No way do they find enough minutes for all of them and McDaniels at SF.

You’re absolutely right! To play Ant and McDaniels at their natural positions the wolves will have to move 2-3 players from the log jam. I suspect Rubio,Beasley and Culver/Okogie.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#16 » by TheZachAttack » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:41 pm

I think McDaniels has more upside as a 4 than a 3 if he can play that position well. McDaniels can do the things at the 4 position that give you advantages by sliding players up positions that the Wolves haven't had.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:51 pm

Edwards is our SF of now and the future. If McDaniels is going to play it will have to be the PF position.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#18 » by gandlogo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 pm

Wing.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#19 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Edwards is our SF of now and the future. If McDaniels is going to play it will have to be the PF position.

LOL.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#20 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:16 am

KGdaBom wrote:Edwards is our SF of now and the future. If McDaniels is going to play it will have to be the PF position.

He’s only the SF in certain lineups but that is not his natural position for many reasons (1 being defensive matchups). Either Him or Beas starts and the other is 6th man

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves