ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you trade Siakam this summer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Would you trade Siakam this off season?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 218

sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Re: Would you trade Siakam this summer? 

Post#81 » by sidsid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:If we're really doing a full rebuild, it makes sense. If you get a very good offensive star to pair with him, probably not. I still like his overall versatility. I just hate that his 3 point shot is gone now, and his overall offensive consistency is like a roller coaster.

I agree that that's basically what trading Siakam means.

Stealth tanking was based around the understanding that the core without Lowry and Norm and no bench would be bad enough to get a high pick while keeping the 27 year old core piece. Betting on a regressed Siakam making a comeback into star form sometime in the next three years. In the meantime you add enough high end talent around him so that you can compete in his prime (early 30s).

If you trade Siakam, then that's a full Orlando tank rebuild. At that point you trade Fred because your not aiming for that 3 years from now window. It's long term development that more likely pays off in year 5 and beyond. You're building around OG's timeline.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,279

Post#82 » by JB7 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm

sidsid wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:If we're really doing a full rebuild, it makes sense. If you get a very good offensive star to pair with him, probably not. I still like his overall versatility. I just hate that his 3 point shot is gone now, and his overall offensive consistency is like a roller coaster.

I agree that that's basically what trading Siakam means.

Stealth tanking was based around the understanding that the core without Lowry and Norm and no bench would be bad enough to get a high pick while keeping the 27 year old core piece. Betting on a regressed Siakam making a comeback into star form sometime in the next three years. In the meantime you add enough high end talent around him so that you can compete in his prime (early 30s).

If you trade Siakam, then that's a full Orlando tank rebuild. At that point you trade Fred because your not aiming for that 3 years from now window. It's long term development that more likely pays off in year 5 and beyond. You're building around OG's timeline.

If they were to trade Siakam for picks, then yes, they would be full tank like Orlando. I don't see Masai going that route.

The other route is a quicker re-build, moving Siakam for someone a bit younger. I think the target should be Simmons. The Raptors would have to package more than PS in the deal (possibly sign and trade Lowry), but Simmons fits with the age of OG, GTJ and Flynn, and even FVV. Fred's game will age well, because he doesn't rely on athleticism.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#83 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm

Depends on what the Raptors get back, he's getting alot of flack because he's been forced to change his role, he's an elite high energy two way third option like the role he played on the championship team. I gotta say though that he should be getting about 5-7 million dollars less a year.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#84 » by Pooh_Jeter » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:37 pm

You wouldn't be doing proper due diligence if you didn't explore the Siakam/FVV trade possibilities in the summer. It's much easier to make a big move like that in the off season and frankly more teams will be receptive to making a big splash.

Hoping Siakam establishes his 3 point shot and matches his production from the first 3 months of last year is feeling more and more like the DeRozan conundrum the Raptors faced.

You can use the bubble and Covid as an excuse, but more players saw their shooting and play improve because of the bubble conditions than regress. His overall mentality is questionable at this point.

Take the Vucevic return as just a light comparison. They got back a prospect who can contribute right away and may thrive in a new setting, a useful bench piece and two picks. I imagine this would be on the low end of a Siakam deal too. Getting a high pick in this upcoming draft already signals a retooling. The Thunder did a complete tear down and they are still competitive most nights.

This current core screams mediocrity, taking a step back from that in order to recalibrate your window for 10+ years instead of the next 3 is well worth it.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#85 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:45 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Warriors fans and media folks keep talking about trading the Wolves pick and Wiggins for Pascal. They need win now pieces.

If they offered their own pick, (top 10 protected), the wolves pick (top 3 protected) and Wiggins for salary filler, I'm all over it.

You could go into the draft lottery with:

Raps lotto pick
Wolves top 3 protected pick
Warriors top 10 protected pick
2 early second rounders

I'm all over that.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#86 » by Parataxis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:48 pm

This is a ridiculous question to ask without context.

Would I trade Siakam if the Bucks offered Giannis? Yes, absoluely. And I'd add value.

Would I trade Siakam for the return that the Rockets got for Oladipo? Not a chance.

There are a total of zero players on the Raptor's roster who are untouchable.
pogi
Sophomore
And1: 275

Post#87 » by pogi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm

No one will take him because he's too expensive and his salary not worth based on the performance he currently gave the raptors this season.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,337

Post#88 » by alpngso » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 pm

38 mil in couple years.. ugh :nonono:
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#89 » by deeps6x » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Warriors fans and media folks keep talking about trading the Wolves pick and Wiggins for Pascal. They need win now pieces.

If they offered their own pick, (top 10 protected), the wolves pick (top 3 protected) and Wiggins for salary filler, I'm all over it.

Raps lotto pick
2 early second rounders

I'm all over that.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to that trade, but I'd insist on no protections. It is a 1 in 5 chance to land the first overall pick anyway.

Pascal has a rare combination of skills/ability. There aren't many others like him in the league. But his salary totally hampers the rebuild process. A bunch of lottery picks and Masai's skill at drafting 'should' be the goal going forward.

But if Masai/Bobby can work their magic and rebuild 'successfully' with Pascal, I'm fine with that as well.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
C-R-E-A-M-
Senior
And1: 790

Post#90 » by C-R-E-A-M- » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:12 pm

i heard KATS available
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#91 » by HomieOmey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:48 pm

pogi wrote:No one will take him because he's too expensive and his salary not worth based on the performance he currently gave the raptors this season.

I'm pretty sure teams with established Number 1 options would love the idea of him. He makes too much sense next to a guy like Beal/Harden/Booker or for a team like the Nuggets who need a solid defender and a guy who can OCCASIONALLY be your best player on offence - keep in Mind the Nuggets trading for Gordon pretty much eliminates them as a possibility. I don't know what Chicago has to offer, but he would make a lot of sense there next to Lavine and Vooch,

But yeah, I have a feeling the value wouldn't be there, and for that I'm likely out of trading him.

We desperately need a better offensive team around him, so he can be more like Bosh in Miami vs Bosh in Toronto.
TurboZ
halifax
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#92 » by halifax » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:The team has to know at this point he’s not a #1 option. If they decide to retool then why not trade Siakam to get more cap flexibility and assets in return? Siakam would definitely command a lottery pick and probably 1-2 additional decent assets. Issue is we’d need to take back contracts and/or expiring deals in return.

I would keep him if we can somehow get 2-3 decent players to join us in the summer. Otherwise it might be best to trade him and go full blown rebuild mode.

"it might be best to trade him and go full blown rebuild mode."

ignorant comments like this is the only think bad about tanking. covid messed up the season not the core group.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,159

Post#93 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:54 pm

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:i heard KATS available

i think switching up Kat for Siakam might be beneficial for both teams. Towns isn't conducive to winning from what we've seen in Minny. big stats guy, 0 winnability

may be a better work environment in Toronto.

who knows both players need a change of scenario
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,906

Post#94 » by vulture » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:03 pm

it depends on what the offer is but I doubt you're getting anyone as good as siakam in a trade right now.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#95 » by load management » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
**** the Tony Brothers
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#96 » by VancouverRaps » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:07 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

i think switching up Kat for Siakam might be beneficial for both teams. Towns isn't conducive to winning from what we've seen in Minny. big stats guy, 0 winnability

may be a better work environment in Toronto.

who knows both players need a change of scenario

From a pure talent perspective, that's a no-brainer deal and the Raps would likely have to add to get Minny's attention. But man it would be interesting to see a guy like KAT under Nurse. Nurse is all about defense and effort first and foremost, 2 things that people have questioned about KAT throughout his career.

It's harder to hide or cover up for a center defensively like you can with a guard.
We the Champs
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,626

Post#97 » by Mr Funk » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:Minny pick isn't even that good. If it doesn't transfer this year - i.e. the Wolves land in the top 3 of the lottery - then yes it's unprotected in 2022, but Wolves might actually be not terrible next season. They might trade KAT for real assets that complement Edwards and who ever they pick this year.

For all the hate he gets on here, Pascal has a virtually irreplaceable talent - 6' 9" guy who can get his own shot off and defend 2-5. He and OG are NOT being traded, not for Beal, not for virtually anyone, unless it's a Kawhi situation where the incoming player combined with our current depth puts us over the top.

Thank you, finally some common sense in this thread.

Pascal has a very unique and amazing skill set and you don't move him unless the package is too good to refuse, ie an elite, LeBron level talent.

I really don't understand this board's bizarre obsession with KAT and Wiggins. They are both soft, lazy and play either extremely inconsistent or poor defence. They are not winners nor are they willing to do what it takes to win.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#98 » by kj_ » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Like most people said if the warriors include the minny pick and Wiseman I'm doing that

I think that’s unrealistic. But, yes I do that too.

I think Siakam is seen as a slightly negative contract at the moment so a more realistic scenario would be Minny’s FRP, their own and garbage salary filler.

I’d be thinking for a while on that one and probably say yes to a full reset. 3 firsts next year - 2 in the top 7 and another lottery pick. That’s cheap contracts and control for a while. Likely adding another high pick next year.

Hopefully not the year after that and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#99 » by mdenny » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Raps lotto pick
2 early second rounders

I'm all over that.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

But make that trade AFTER the lottery. It could be an absolute disaster if u make that trade before the lottery.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,279

Post#100 » by JB7 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 pm

If KAT is available, the Warriors will be all over that.

Return to Toronto Raptors