ImageImageImage

Welcome back to Boston Luke Kornet! (Exhibit 10 deal)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Re: Welcome to Boston, maybe, Luke Kornet! 

Post#61 » by return2glory » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 pm

SilverQuick
Senior
And1: 220

Post#62 » by SilverQuick » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:08 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
SilverQuick wrote:Wagner is better player than Kornet in overall but i think Luke offers more to our team. Shooting from bench is one of the biggest area of the celtics and we exactly saw what it means yesterday. Instead giving time to scrubs like Ojeleye, Grant giving it to shooters who can create space for Jays brothers is a benefit for the team. We need better players than Kornet for sure but he is one of the best shooter in our bench if not the best right now which is unfortunate . Hopefully Fournier will be available soon and we will back on track

NBA league average 3pt% - .367

Semi - .392
Grant - .416

Kornet - .308

I'm happy for the kid and hope he does well but.... what?

So you are saying shooting has not been our weakness off the bench? or are you comfortable with Grant& Semi as shooter?
Actually i am suprised with our guys percentage this year but their carreer numbers are almost identical, with grant is worst between those three. Kornet played barely this year with limited minutes. Those percantages does not mean too much.
Kornet has been playing for bad teams for whole career , his percantages probably would be better with better players.

Everbody knows Neismith is better shooter than Semi&Grant but his percantege says otherwise as you pointed for Kornet

Let me say that I am not a fan of Kornet nor not saying he is dead eye shoter. I watched him only a few times with the Knicks and yesterday against Thunder but he looked more reliable shooter than Sem&Grant , lets say that eye test.

Ofcourse I would prefer a proven shooter statistically or better player than Kornet but right know i believe he can create space better than Grant and Semi. When you watch the Celtics you can easily see that their defender always leaves them open and closing the space with Jays. We need someone can keep defender away from Brown&Tatum when they have ball . This has been our weakness all year long

I am not sure if Kornet is the answer for the need but i know Grant and Semi are not despite their great %
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,486

Post#63 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm

SilverQuick wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
SilverQuick wrote:Wagner is better player than Kornet in overall but i think Luke offers more to our team. Shooting from bench is one of the biggest area of the celtics and we exactly saw what it means yesterday. Instead giving time to scrubs like Ojeleye, Grant giving it to shooters who can create space for Jays brothers is a benefit for the team. We need better players than Kornet for sure but he is one of the best shooter in our bench if not the best right now which is unfortunate . Hopefully Fournier will be available soon and we will back on track

Semi - .392
Grant - .416

Kornet - .308

So you are saying shooting has not been our weakness off the bench? or are you comfortable with Grant& Semi as shooter?
Actually i am suprised with our guys percentage this year but their carreer numbers are almost identical, with grant is worst between those three. Kornet played barely this year with limited minutes. Those percantages does not mean too much.
Kornet has been playing for bad teams for whole career , his percantages probably would be better with better players.

Everbody knows Neismith is better shooter than Semi&Grant but his percantege says otherwise as you pointed for Kornet

Let me say that I am not a fan of Kornet nor not saying he is dead eye shoter. I watched him only a few times with the Knicks and yesterday against Thunder but he looked more reliable shooter than Sem&Grant , lets say that eye test.

Ofcourse I would prefer a proven shooter statistically or better player than Kornet but right know i believe he can create space better than Grant and Semi. When you watch the Celtics you can easily see that their defender always leaves them open and closing the space with Jays. We need someone can keep defender away from Brown&Tatum when they have ball . This has been our weakness all year long

I am not sure if Kornet is the answer for the need but i know Grant and Semi are not despite their great %

I agree with this post but will add that comparing LK to Semi and Grant is a little like Apples to Oranges as they play different positions. I also expect forwards to shoot a better pct than my centers as for the nature of their respective positions.

But different teams/teammates and defined roles can go along way to affecting the types of pct players shoot. I am betting that Mo+KL will get much better looks with the Js/Stevens system and their pcts will go up significantly.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#64 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:54 pm

I LOLed at the Very High 5 between Tacko and Luke.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#65 » by Celtics_85 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 am

Kendrick Perkins said to not sleep on Kornet, that the guy can shoot the ball very well and played with him.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#66 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:03 am

SilverQuick wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

Semi - .392
Grant - .416

Kornet - .308

If they leave Semi and Grant open and they are shooting high percentage 3's the answer is to kick the ball out out to them. Defenses will learn to respect that they are a threat and adjust and it will open the floor up. We really don't have a problem with our bench's shooting, we have Payton, Semi, and Grant all hitting well above league average. Javonte was below but he's not here anymore. Teague was hitting 46%. Hitting open 3's is actually our benches strength, facilitating and consistent D were the bigger issues. As for Nesmith being a better shooter no one knows that he's a better shooter, he had half a college season where he was lights out so we're all hoping but until he steps up and proves it assuming he'll be a better shooter shouldn't be confused with knowing he's a better shooter.

Another point, Kornet looked good overall but he hit 2-3 threes and the two he hit had completely different looking trajectories when they left his hand, one had decent arc and the second was a lot flatter. Not only is one game not enough of a sample to assume anything about his shooting that isn't backed up statistically but good shooters have a really consistent stroke. I love that he doesn't look like a stiff but I'll be (happily) surprised if he plays much when our roster is healthy.

As for an "eye test" I don't really believe in them. It's the same as a "gut feeling" which is basically worthless. None of us are scouts and even scouts don't get it all right by observation and they are trained in it.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#67 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:05 am

playa-hater wrote:
SilverQuick wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

Semi - .392
Grant - .416

Kornet - .308

I agree with this post but will add that comparing LK to Semi and Grant is a little like Apples to Oranges as they play different positions. I also expect forwards to shoot a better pct than my centers as for the nature of their respective positions.

But different teams/teammates and defined roles can go along way to affecting the types of pct players shoot. I am betting that Mo+KL will get much better looks with the Js/Stevens system and their pcts will go up significantly.

I hope they get great looks and shoot the lights out, along with what Semi, Payton and Grant are doing from 3. As long as the ball movement is there the opportunity should as well.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#68 » by tlee324 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:24 pm

A nice detailed breakdown of our Kor-gasmic moments vs OKC:

Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,347

Post#69 » by Gurton Buster » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:35 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:Bump. Luke says you’re welcome Boston.

Welcome to Luke, Boston.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,233

Post#70 » by djFan71 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:15 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I LOLed at the Very High 5 between Tacko and Luke.

It sneaks up on me fairly regularly just how much bigger Tacko is than other really big dudes. Intellectually, you know it. But then you see him high 5 Kornet, or shake Horford's hand at the end and it blows your mind a little again.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#71 » by 31to6 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:03 am

Note to self: Kornet guarding Zion is a “no”
Such a skilled skinny offensive player though! Good 10th man!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#72 » by robdog_5 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:48 am

The ball comes off his hand and looks good. He has the look of a shooter. Let's see if he can keep it up
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#73 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 am

The resemblance isn't really that close, but this who Kornet looks like for me.

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,486

Post#74 » by playa-hater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:25 pm

didn't want to make a poll for it, but even in such a small sample size of 2 games, I have seen enough things I like to want to make LK the 2nd center off the bench over TT. Despite TT's experience etc overall, there seems to be much better energy and team play with LK and his skill set matches up better with everyone, not just the Js.

So who would you guys put as our first Big off the bench for this playoff run?

Luke Kornet or T Thompson?
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,347

Post#75 » by Gurton Buster » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 pm

djFan71 wrote:

It sneaks up on me fairly regularly just how much bigger Tacko is than other really big dudes. Intellectually, you know it. But then you see him high 5 Kornet, or shake Horford's hand at the end and it blows your mind a little again.

Tacko is like 7’ 6” with shoes so with other 7 feet guys that’s like comparing a 6 foot guard to a 6’6 wing :lol:
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,233

Post#76 » by djFan71 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 am

Gurton Buster wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Tacko is like 7’ 6” with shoes so with other 7 feet guys that’s like comparing a 6 foot guard to a 6’6 wing :lol:

I know, and I know I know, but I still get blown away by it, you know???
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#77 » by Wes-J » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Finally they got a big who is worse than Thompson. I knew Ainge could do it

You sure about that? :lol:
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#78 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Wes-J wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Finally they got a big who is worse than Thompson. I knew Ainge could do it

You sure about that? :x

At this stage and with our group, I like Kornet's fit more than TT honestly. Whenever Tristan decides to get his act together and stay out of the clubs, I think he needs to prove why he should get minutes ahead of the guys who have been playing, Kornet included.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#79 » by Wes-J » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

At this stage and with our group, I like Kornet's fit more than TT honestly. Whenever Tristan decides to get his act together and stay out of the clubs, I think he needs to prove why he should get minutes ahead of the guys who have been playing, Kornet included.

These guys look to have some good use. There's nothing Thompson can give us that Timelord, Kornet, and Wagner can't. I'm dreading him coming back only to see Stevens do something stupid and insert him in the starting lineup.

Kills me that Ainge didn't move Thompson and Nesmith for Gordon. We really could of used his defensive versatility. That means less Grant.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#80 » by Dogen » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 pm

Wes-J wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

These guys look to have some good use. There's nothing Thompson can give us that Timelord, Kornet, and Wagner can't. I'm dreading him coming back only to see Stevens do something stupid and insert him in the starting lineup.

Kills me that Ainge didn't move Thompson and Nesmith for Gordon. We really could of used his defensive versatility. That means less Grant.

Wait, this was on the table? No way...

Way?
Hey you! Can we come together?

Return to Boston Celtics