ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 260 Stipe vs Ngannou 2 (winner fights Jon Jones) 

Post#1621 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
A promise for a promise can be a contract if one of the parties relied on that promise to their own detriment. It’s called “promissory estoppel.”

So, if Mr. White did indeed make that promise to Mr. Jones who then subsequently declines a huge offer from Bellator based on his reliance on White’s offer, then the conditions for a contract and breach thereof have been met.

So Dana better pay up, so Bones doesn't sue!

I only responded to your comment that this "wasn't a contract."

What happens after that is none of my concern.

Addendum: I will add that if Dana in fact made him a firm promise, and Jones did in fact pass up a lucrative offer from another organization, then definitely yes, Jones should sue.
Well, I understand what context you're providing, but that's not the frame of reference Jones is speaking from when he says he wants to come to an agreement with Dana and get paid.

There's no traditional fight contract in place.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 260 Stipe vs Ngannou 2 (winner fights Jon Jones) 

Post#1622 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 pm

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:So Dana better pay up, so Bones doesn't sue!

I only responded to your comment that this "wasn't a contract."

What happens after that is none of my concern.

Addendum: I will add that if Dana in fact made him a firm promise, and Jones did in fact pass up a lucrative offer from another organization, then definitely yes, Jones should sue.

Well, I understand what context you're providing, but that's not the frame of reference Jones is speaking from when he says he wants to come to an agreement with Dana and get paid.

There's no traditional fight contract in place.

I didn't know what your context was. If there are none of the required conditions I referred to above are present, then there's no contract/no breach. So I thought I covered the entire arena, no pun intended.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1623 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:32 pm

Read on Twitter
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#1624 » by j4remi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:44 pm

This is a complete retread of what happened the last time Bones and Ngannou agreed to fight. The UFC had to know what price range Jones was expecting since this breakdown had already happened once.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ufc-jon-jones-threatens-leave-ufc-feud-dana-white-heavyweight-francis-ngannou-deontay-wilder-twitter-rant-222246025.html

What bothers me about this is that I think Jones has a point, but him being so disliked will steer the narrative. He's due to be paid like a top draw that's taking a huge risk. He's a record-holding champion with arguable GOAT-status. I don't think he's ducking Ngannou. I think he just wants to get the big pay day. The whole mma community is giving Dustin Poirier a pass for not taking a title fight right now. We know how fighter pay goes, so we all basically just say "go get paid, you've earned it." Jones was the youngest champ in UFC history when 205 was a better division than Lightweight, still undisputed to this day...I want him to get his paper, he earned it too.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1625 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:00 pm

j4remi wrote:This is a complete retread of what happened the last time Bones and Ngannou agreed to fight. The UFC had to know what price range Jones was expecting since this breakdown had already happened once.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ufc-jon-jones-threatens-leave-ufc-feud-dana-white-heavyweight-francis-ngannou-deontay-wilder-twitter-rant-222246025.html

What bothers me about this is that I think Jones has a point, but him being so disliked will steer the narrative. He's due to be paid like a top draw that's taking a huge risk. He's a record-holding champion with arguable GOAT-status. I don't think he's ducking Ngannou. I think he just wants to get the big pay day. The whole mma community is giving Dustin Poirier a pass for not taking a title fight right now. We know how fighter pay goes, so we all basically just say "go get paid, you've earned it." Jones was the youngest champ in UFC history when 205 was a better division than Lightweight, still undisputed to this day...I want him to get his paper, he earned it too.

Yea, I don't understand the disrespect being thrown at Jones for this stand he's taking.

He's kept up his end of the bargain. He's walking around and training at 245. He's let go of his belt in LHW. He's all in.

We all know this might be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, fights in MMA history. Jones is a major part of that and should be compensated for it.

Dana seems to be really signaling that he has no intention of paying Bones though.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1626 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:04 am

Cupcake returns!

POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#1627 » by waya » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:52 pm

I don't blame him, I'd want to make bank too if I had to get KTFO
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1628 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 am

This is why despite all his antics, I stan Kevin Holland. Darren Till broke his collar bone, out of the fight with absolute killer Marvin Vettori. That card is less than two weeks away, and the Vettori curse continues (check how many fights he's had fall through at the last minute). With no regard for the threat of a two-fight losing streak, against another guy that will probably try to take him down and grapple, Holland is chasing the fight. He's 10 days removed from 25 minutes with Brunson, he's got 10 days to prep for Vettori. I don't like his chances, but I stan this anyway.

Read on Twitter
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1629 » by GEOLINK » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:04 am

j4remi wrote:This is why despite all his antics, I stan Kevin Holland. Darren Till broke his collar bone, out of the fight with absolute killer Marvin Vettori. That card is less than two weeks away, and the Vettori curse continues (check how many fights he's had fall through at the last minute). With no regard for the threat of a two-fight losing streak, against another guy that will probably try to take him down and grapple, Holland is chasing the fight. He's 10 days removed from 25 minutes with Brunson, he's got 10 days to prep for Vettori. I don't like his chances, but I stan this anyway.

Read on Twitter

I honestly can’t believe Dana, even after walking out during his last fight, would put Holland back in a main event spot on another nationally televised card.

Disney must be asking their people what’s the deal with this guy.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1630 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:21 am

GEOLINK wrote:
j4remi wrote:This is why despite all his antics, I stan Kevin Holland. Darren Till broke his collar bone, out of the fight with absolute killer Marvin Vettori. That card is less than two weeks away, and the Vettori curse continues (check how many fights he's had fall through at the last minute). With no regard for the threat of a two-fight losing streak, against another guy that will probably try to take him down and grapple, Holland is chasing the fight. He's 10 days removed from 25 minutes with Brunson, he's got 10 days to prep for Vettori. I don't like his chances, but I stan this anyway.

Read on Twitter

I honestly can’t believe Dana, even after walking out during his last fight, would put Holland back in a main event spot on another nationally televised card.

The craziest thing will be for Holland to put on a show and fck Vettori up. Maybe not so crazy. Thoughts?
POSTING POLICIES:
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#1631 » by GEOLINK » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:

Read on Twitter

The craziest thing will be for Holland to put on a show and fck Vettori up. Maybe not so crazy. Thoughts?

I mean this has to be an easy fight for Vettori. You can take the guy down at will and keep him there.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1632 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 am

GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:I honestly can’t believe Dana, even after walking out during his last fight, would put Holland back in a main event spot on another nationally televised card.

I mean this has to be an easy fight for Vettori. You can take the guy down at will and keep him there.

And get KO’d by him there.
POSTING POLICIES:
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#1633 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Edwards vs Diaz... that came out of no where
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1634 » by GONYK » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1635 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:41 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Edwards vs Diaz... that came out of no where

Wonderboy is never getting a top five opponent and I will forever be salty about it.

Also, it’s funny that I bet UFC is rooting for Diaz vs Masvidal to come out of this...win or lose...they just want both guys to get the same result.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1636 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Here’s a nice one. Pitbull just recently knocked out Michael chandler to become a two division champ. Yes, the same chandler who will fight for the ufc title in the toughest division in mma next. The fight is Friday, it’s free, and it’s part of a tournament that has been a whole lot of fun despite some gaps in when the fights take place. The final is likely to be McKee vs Pitbull and both of those dudes are ufc top-five caliber talents under the right circumstances imo.

Read on Twitter
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#1637 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:56 pm

j4remi wrote:

Wonderboy is never getting a top five opponent and I will forever be salty about it.

Also, it’s funny that I bet UFC is rooting for Diaz vs Masvidal to come out of this...win or lose...they just want both guys to get the same result.

Is wonderboy healthy to go by May?
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1638 » by j4remi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:53 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Last I heard, he was just waiting for the hand to get an all clear. It’s been like a month since and he started calling out opponents in that time, so I assume he’s good.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1639 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
j4remi wrote:

Geez, I didn't even know he was out injured. But, yeah, give this man a top 5 fight.
POSTING POLICIES:
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#1640 » by MelosSoreWrist » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:00 pm

GONYK wrote:
j4remi wrote:This is a complete retread of what happened the last time Bones and Ngannou agreed to fight. The UFC had to know what price range Jones was expecting since this breakdown had already happened once.

Yea, I don't understand the disrespect being thrown at Jones for this stand he's taking.

He's kept up his end of the bargain. He's walking around and training at 245. He's let go of his belt in LHW. He's all in.

We all know this might be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, fights in MMA history. Jones is a major part of that and should be compensated for it.

Dana seems to be really signaling that he has no intention of paying Bones though.

For me, I dont understand what Jones is doing. Did he forfeit his belt, completely overhall his body to carry HW weight before negotiating what he will be paid at HW? Did he want to renegotiate after Ngannou won as opposed to if Stipe had won? It doesnt make sense. From Jones tweets, it sounds like he is just starting negotiations and the landscape of that changed because Ngannou is the champ.

Jones is a draw but he is not a McGregor draw. Jones wont be able to dictate if the UFC doesnt feel the financial need to comply. It might be just negotiation tactics but it sounds like the UFC are fine sitting him on the sidelines if they cant come to an agreement. This is more in line with how they treated Cejudo verses how they treat Conor and Khabib.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?

Return to New York Knicks