Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Re: Evan Mobley - USC 

Post#301 » by reamily » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 pm

God Squad wrote:
reamily wrote:Youre choosing suggs or cade over mobley because of better floor in this todays nba game.. yeah but mobley may not be hakeem but he can be a fou dation of a franchise, jalen green is high risk superstar reward guy..good top 4 that we have..

Don't like Kuminga?

I shouldnt e biased but if he able to develop his body, he can be in between siakam and giannis..but he needs to be more mature from whaf he had shown during ignite..
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#302 » by yoyoboy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:59 pm

Mobley has gotta be the number one pick at this point.

I'm not as high on him as some people in this thread, but I'm not as high on this draft class in general so I'm not seeing a surefire can't miss prospect to pick above Mobley. Cade did himself no favors in the tournament and none of the other guys are quite as intriguing imo to make a serious push for the number one spot.

Mobley's handle and the fluidity with which he moves are very impressive for his size. He's not necessarily a special playmaker imo, to the point where he'll be a legitimate point forward/point center in the NBA, but he's a very good one for his size, and his vision and willingness to make the right passes are obvious strengths. I really like how quick he's been to make decisions lately especially. He doesn't project to be a great shooter at the NBA level imo (usually FT% and 3PA rate are good indicators) but I think he'll be a solid one -- like Anthony Davis-level -- and the value he brings by being able to keep defenses honest with an outside jumper will depend on whether he's able to play the PF or C position in the NBA, which brings me to my next point.

Defensively, I think he'll be very good with time. But I'm not seeing a transcendent defender with truly special defensive physical tools or cream of the crop defensive IQ. His mobility and length are great, and so he should be a very nice PnR defender who can do an adequate enough job switching. I don't think he's quick footed or balanced enough to be the switch monster that guys like Draymond, Davis, Issac, JJJ are, but he'll still be very solid. He already has really good awareness and positioning as a freshman in college. But with the way he's built, even if he's able to successfully bulk up, I think he'll aways struggle with physicality due to his high hips and high center of gravity. I'm also somewhat doubtful he'll be able to rebound at the level you'd need from a center due to his slender frame. So realistically you're looking at him playing the PF position, which projects better for his defense but a little worse for his offense imo since he's less of a mismatch/floor spacer at the 5. Lastly wanted to mention that while he can clearly protect the rim, he's not as aggressive or springy contesting shots around the rim, specifically from bigger guys, as the truly elite prospects, and so I think it's in his best interest to be more of devastating help rim protector at the PF position.

On offense, Mobley really reminds me of Jaren Jackson without the high-level 3P shooting but with better playmaking. The way they move and the way they score inside the arc are eerily similar. Mobley isn't a 7 footer who can legitimately move like a guard a la Anthony Davis or KG and people making those comparisons are being unfair to him. It's a strength for him nevertheless, even if not quite all-time level. And then defensively, I think you've got a mobile versatile rim protecting PF who due to his limits I don't see ever getting any DPOY honors, but I expect to be around top 5 at his position throughout his prime. I can see him being a +1.0-1.5 O | +1.5-2.0 D kind of player around his peak personally.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#303 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Mobley is definitely a + playmaker for a 7-footer, Pau-level passer which, until Jokic showed up, was T1 level passer for a big pretty much

also the guy is velociraptor on defense, I don't know why people continue to underestimate him on that end, he's AD-level in terms of freelance D as a combo big, it's incredible to watch actually
reamily
Senior

Post#304 » by reamily » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm

Yup ideal draft,someone get selected no.1( a big), jalen go 3 or hopefully doesnt go to team that sucks
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#305 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:28 am

I think this game shows why you don't take bigs over guards and wings. They simply do not have the ball in their hands enough to impact the game like a great guard like Suggs does. Mobley isn't 7'. He's 6'10" in sneakers and can't guard bigs down low. He's essentially JJJ or Isaac which makes him a really good player, maybe a perfect #2 on a championship team at best. It's hard to take him over Suggs, Cade, Green or Kuminga. I guess if you already have the elite guard and wing it makes perfect sense. But if you're starting from scratch he'd be the last of that group I'd take.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#306 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:02 am

Zags soooo goood they made a top 5 lock in the NBA draft look weak and ineffective which he isnt at all normally
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#307 » by whatchaknow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 am

clyde21 wrote:Mobley is definitely a + playmaker for a 7-footer, Pau-level passer which, until Jokic showed up, was T1 level passer for a big pretty much

also the guy is velociraptor on defense, I don't know why people continue to underestimate him on that end, he's AD-level in terms of freelance D as a combo big, it's incredible to watch actually

Pau is actually a good comparison to me that I never thought of. I kept thinking he’s kind of KAT-ish with Aldridge body but I like the pau comp. Hes such a smart player I don’t see how he could bust, he’s a definite impact player to me.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#308 » by Village Idiot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:00 pm

For me he's the easy #1 in this draft. I can see shades of Giannis, Siakam and Chris Bosh in his game

a peak of 22 points, 8 boards, 4.5 assists and 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks is pretty darned good. It all depends on how well his body matures but his skillset and feel for the game are plenty good.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
reamily
Senior

Post#309 » by reamily » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 pm

For me hes the safest bet..
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#310 » by kobyz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 pm

He is someone between Jermaine O'Neal and Kevin Garnett
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#311 » by Mickey8 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:50 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I think this game shows why you don't take bigs over guards and wings. They simply do not have the ball in their hands enough to impact the game like a great guard like Suggs does. Mobley isn't 7'. He's 6'10" in sneakers and can't guard bigs down low. He's essentially JJJ or Isaac which makes him a really good player, maybe a perfect #2 on a championship team at best. It's hard to take him over Suggs, Cade, Green or Kuminga. I guess if you already have the elite guard and wing it makes perfect sense. But if you're starting from scratch he'd be the last of that group I'd take.

I agree, he doesn't strike me out as the superstar type of a player at center position, he could be serviceable but I don't see him as somebody who is able to carry the franchise by himself. Its better for him if he can transit to PF position , he's the lightweight in the paint.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#312 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:07 pm

this PF talk is nonsensical, he can play both positions at +++ level, that's why he's a stud. but in a default lineup in today's NBA, he's a center, period.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#313 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:29 pm

I dont think he can play both 4 and 5. In today's NBA he is a straight up 5. He's mobile but he doesnt move around as well as say a KD. Sure he can play the 4 in the same way guys like KAT and KP play the 4, but those guys are both 5s.

Here is the thing, I dont think that is a negative against him either. Jokic and Embiid are strict 5s and that doesn't hurt their value. Mobley's game is perfectly built to play the 5 in today's NBA. He is a fantastic rim protector while being mobile enough to defend the PnR and handle switches. But again you want him being your last line of defense because he is that good of a defender. Offensively he isnt a true stretch player yet, but with his passing ability you can play him high post and he will be effective. I think he projects pretty solidly as a stretch player though.

Ya will he struggle to deal with the big strong bigs like Embiid or Jokic when they try to attack him down low? Ya, so does every other big. But I think if you give him a few years he will grow into his body some more and will be fine. Again I think mobility is far more important on the defensive end than strength in today's NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#314 » by EvanZ » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I dont think he can play both 4 and 5. In today's NBA he is a straight up 5. He's mobile but he doesnt move around as well as say a KD. Sure he can play the 4 in the same way guys like KAT and KP play the 4, but those guys are both 5s.

Does he move better or worse than Jaren Jackson?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#315 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:52 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I dont think he can play both 4 and 5. In today's NBA he is a straight up 5. He's mobile but he doesnt move around as well as say a KD. Sure he can play the 4 in the same way guys like KAT and KP play the 4, but those guys are both 5s.

Does he move better or worse than Jaren Jackson?

I think JJJ would be at his best at the 5.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#316 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:53 pm

he can play both the 4 and 5 just fine, but the majority of his mismatches will be at the 5, by default he's a 5 who can play the 4 in big lineups if you wanna go that route, but the people saying he should be a straight up 4 are getting too cute with it per usual.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#317 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:Zags soooo goood they made a top 5 lock in the NBA draft look weak and ineffective which he isnt at all normally

Guess Oregon must be really good, too.

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#318 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:11 pm

kobyz wrote:Kevin Garnett 2.0

You must be kidding.

Mobley just played the last two games of his college career with the impact of a wall flower. Does that sound like KG to you?

PartPsychic
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#319 » by PartPsychic » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:26 pm

....yeah, any team that gets fooled into tanking this guy #1 deserves to have their FO fired on the spot. Lol @ franchise foundation. When are people gonna learn not to take old school frontcourt players with their high lotto picks? Seemingly never.

I’m also getting a complete kick out of these Garnett comparisons. Where? How? In what way?

Kuminga, CC, Suggs, and even Green should be taken ahead of Mobley. I’d maybe even throw 2-3 other players in there ahead of him. Like almost every single traditional C/PF in the NBA nowadays, Mobley will be a complimentary piece/3rd or 4th option
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#320 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:28 pm

He has some special movement skills for his size, actually reminds me of Nicolas Claxton but thats probably recency bias. But 20/21 level Claxton with an ideal offensive skillset for a 2021 big man, which Mobley has, is arguably a #1 pick.

Return to NBA Draft