ImageImageImage

NCAA Tourney

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: NCAA Tourney 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:42 pm

keep an eye on this ORE ST vs LOY CHI match up there are a few UDFA types that the Cavs should be looking at since they dont have any 2nds
Both these rosters live on defensive impact
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#82 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:38 am

Cavs better be scouting Juzang incase they fall outside the chalk top 6
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 am

Stillwater wrote:Cavs better be scouting Juzang incase they fall outside the chalk top 6
I had a similar thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#84 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:15 pm

Keep an eye on a sleeper older lottery player Davion Mitchell
He has the complete package to be a Lillard level pro imo
I also like the reasonable option of picking up the big 2 way pg DeJon Jarreau in the mid 2nd he is a stout defender and would help the rotation a lot.
But Cavs have to get a 2nd and I doubt they get one and then use it on a back up
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:41 pm

Sasser is locked in.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#86 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:05 pm

I am picking Mitchell if I am at 7 or 8 with the chalk 6 gone idc if it makes sense for the current core or not he can play with either one of our current guards and is a far better defender than whichever one they dont trade
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#87 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:49 am

There are literally 4 or 5 first round prospects in this UCLA ZAGA match up
Suggs
Juzang
Ayayi
Jaquez
Kispert
maybe even Timme makes a case for late first...
Juzang is clearly a lottery level scorer I would not be surprised if he moves into the
top 10 on most boards after this tournament dominance is over even if they come up short.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:21 am

Wow. Just wow.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#89 » by Stillwater » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:24 am

Suggs made up for his meh game
what a hell of a game from start to finish though crazy end
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:41 am

Stillwater wrote:Suggs made up for his meh game
what a hell of a game from start to finish though crazy end
He didn't exactly call bank, but it won't matter.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#91 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:50 am

Baylor puttin on a fn clinic against the overall 1 seed
Mitchell is such a massively underrated pro prospect
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#92 » by Harper4Ferry? » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:56 am

I don't watch much college, but Mitchell should be breaking into the top 5. He is kind of old I suppose, but that game is going to play.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#93 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:06 am

Mitchell is possibly a top 15 pick and maybe should go in that 7-14 slot pretty easily but yeah he is older so it's anyone's guess where he actually gets drafted. I wouldnt be surprised if Butler gets looks in the late teens either
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,371

Post#94 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:36 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I don't watch much college, but Mitchell should be breaking into the top 5. He is kind of old I suppose, but that game is going to play.

Admittedly I speed watched the game, but I was surprised Mitchell and Butler finished just 6-15 and 6-14, and Suggs was 8-15. They were sure getting it done when Baylor was building up their lead, though.

Upperclassmen always have an advantage in the tourney, and while Mitchell is listed as a Junior, he actually sat out a year to transfer and will be 23 by the time the next NBA season rolls around. In other words, it's going to be hard for him to break in to the top of the lottery unless some team falls in love with him.

For instance, when comparing him to our draft picks ... Mitchell was averaging just 4 & 2 as a freshman and shot just 28.8% on his 3pters. So, while he's shown the ability to improve his game (which is very important) his upside/ceiling will be questioned.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#95 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:I don't watch much college, but Mitchell should be breaking into the top 5. He is kind of old I suppose, but that game is going to play.

Admittedly I speed watched the game, but I was surprised Mitchell and Butler finished just 6-15 and 6-14, and Suggs was 8-15. They were sure getting it done when Baylor was building up their lead, though.

Upperclassmen always have an advantage in the tourney, and while Mitchell is listed as a Junior, he actually sat out a year to transfer and will be 23 by the time the next NBA season rolls around. In other words, it's going to be hard for him to break in to the top of the lottery unless some team falls in love with him.

For instance, when comparing him to our draft picks ... Mitchell was averaging just 4 & 2 as a freshman and shot just 28.8% on his 3pters. So, while he's shown the ability to improve his game (which is very important) his upside/ceiling will be questioned.

That unfortunately is probably the same logic that was used by the Cavs when they drafted DIon and left Lillard on the board.
You just cannot do that after the elite upside prospects are gone and there rarely is more than 2 or 3 in any draft. If a prospect is a proven 2 way player that dominates at the collegiate level the floor that high automatically commands attn.
Ideally most orgs in early rebuilds pass on these types hoping to move up and get a deal later given the age as they probably should for most but it doesn't change the fact their investment in some other less skilled kid that might some day be that good is not a sure thing.
Mitchell has elite explosiveness and arguably the fastest first step of anyone and those 2 things combined with his advanced iq and stout defense (Naismith DPOY) is as sure of a thing as you can get in that 7-10 range which is exactly where he should be taken.
Read on Twitter
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#96 » by JonFromVA » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

That unfortunately is probably the same logic that was used by the Cavs when they drafted DIon and left Lillard on the board.
You just cannot do that after the elite upside prospects are gone and there rarely is more than 2 or 3 in any draft. If a prospect is a proven 2 way player that dominates at the collegiate level the floor that high automatically commands attn.
Ideally most orgs in early rebuilds pass on these types hoping to move up and get a deal later given the age as they probably should for most but it doesn't change the fact their investment in some other less skilled kid that might some day be that good is not a sure thing.
Mitchell has elite explosiveness and arguably the fastest first step of anyone and those 2 things combined with his advanced iq and stout defense (Naismith DPOY) is as sure of a thing as you can get in that 7-10 range which is exactly where he should be taken.
Read on Twitter

Lillard was a 19.9ppg scorer as as a Sophomore and "fell" to 6th because he was doing it for Weber State.

Level of competition is too important to ignore.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#97 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:26 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Read on Twitter

Lillard was a 19.9ppg scorer as as a Sophomore and "fell" to 6th because he was doing it for Weber State.

Oh sure that must have been the only reason since he turned 22 the month after he was drafted smh hence the age thing not being able to
stop teams like Portland from ignoring prospects like Drummond and Barnes were there for the taking but taking him anyway.
but yeah Mitchell will be 23 when he starts playing pro basketball so he should be in that 7-10 range fairly easy based on level of interest in a win now player for most teams who would be in that range.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#98 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:48 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:That unfortunately is probably the same logic that was used by the Cavs when they drafted DIon and left Lillard on the board.
Read on Twitter

Oh sure that must have been the only reason since he turned 22 the month after he was drafted smh hence the age thing not being able to
stop teams like Portland from ignoring prospects like Drummond and Barnes were there for the taking but taking him anyway.
but yeah Mitchell will be 23 when he starts playing pro basketball so he should be in that 7-10 range fairly easy based on level of interest in a win now player for most teams who would be in that range.

Possibly, but Harper4Ferry was arguing top-5.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers