ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1801 » by phifans » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:23 am

76ciology wrote:I like how he’s playing lately prior to this cold stretch.

But you have to accept Ben for who he is.

He is NOT a natural scorer. He may score more than 20 on some games, but you should not rely for it to win you games.

Scoring more than 20 for Ben is like asking Carmelo Anthony to average more than 5 assists per game. Sure, they can from time to time. But it’s just not natural for them.

The fact that he’s focusing more on his defense, says that he wants people to stop looking at his offense.

Personally, I’d rather have an average to above average defensive wing that can get me more than 20ppg.

So I guess all we can do is accept Ben for who he is …

Then the question would become whether what he can do worth his contract and the money he got ? Because if the answer is no he may not be long here.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,332

Post#1802 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 am

phifans wrote:
76ciology wrote:I like how he’s playing lately prior to this cold stretch.

But you have to accept Ben for who he is.

He is NOT a natural scorer. He may score more than 20 on some games, but you should not rely for it to win you games.

Scoring more than 20 for Ben is like asking Carmelo Anthony to average more than 5 assists per game. Sure, they can from time to time. But it’s just not natural for them.

The fact that he’s focusing more on his defense, says that he wants people to stop looking at his offense.

Personally, I’d rather have an average to above average defensive wing that can get me more than 20ppg.

So I guess all we can do is accept Ben for who he is …

Then the question would become whether what he can do worth his contract and the money he got ? Because if the answer is no he may not be long here.

Ive been saying how he will eventually ask for a supermax when his contract is up.

My position now is not to have unrealistic expectation with him. Enjoy when he’s been playing well and just play our best with whatever card were dealt with.

If there’s a superstar who is available, i’d wouldnt hesitate to offer Ben. But im not going to trade him for some expiring and picks.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1803 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:30 am

I dont think Ben is that stupid to focus on defense. When guys like MPJ, George or Kawhi can get their buckets by a simple screen action and pulling up. And he can win the DPOY but he wont be able to carry a team’s defense, something we saw when Mike Scott was starting at C. Or just simply whenever Biid is not playing.

He’s focusing on defense because he knows he has very limited upside on his offense.

We can’t keep crying and whining whenever Ben underperforms on offense. Its just who he is.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1804 » by sixers4real » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:33 am

This upcoming playoffs will tell if we need Ben Simmons or we trade him. He knows he needs to play exceptionally well not to get traded.
There is no doubt if the Sixers lose in the first round or we lose badly in semis, Morey will trade him.

But, if we can keep 1st or 2nd place in the East and meet Nets in the ECF, we are the only team that can cause them a lot of problems, especially Ben Simmons with his size, athlete ability and defense.

I want Ben Simmons to be locked in these playoffs. And I’m not expecting him to be a scorer.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#1805 » by DCasey91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 am

I just wished that both Ben and Harris capitalized on their size more. Both have poor free throw rates if we are being honest. Prime Melo was getting to the line almost 9 times a game. I’m more than happy to live with result with Ben. Both have more than enough size don’t need to play fancy.

Two dribble pull up/drive/Catch and Shoot should be Harris A one mode

If Ben sees any sort of space head straight to the rim sure he lacks length but the disruption factor should be there. Don’t go full barreling in I believe his got a good enough handle to get a spot plus he’s more than a good enough passer.

His defender cheats which exposes it so it’s easier to Double Embiid. Just want more active pressure on offense that’s all. Cuts/Lobs/Roll man I know he can do that

Someone should smack Ben in the face before every game lol serious on that. Aggro Ben at least goes hard for 5-8 minutes
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1806 » by kio80 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:30 am

My predictions: Ben is going to continue to play with limited offense for the entirety of this season, 76ers will get bounced in the 2nd round again.
6er fans will chase him off and Morey will trade him for a high usage scorer who won’t fit with Embiid and Tobi.
Embiid signs with another team when his contract is up.
Ben might or might not flourish in the new team, either way, he signs with the Lakers when he turns 28 and plays with Lebron and son.
76ers rehires Hinkie, on the same year Adam Silver retires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#1807 » by NADALalot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:35 am

I'd be more worried about Embiid than Simmons.
Simmons was able to duplicate his regular season form in the 2 biggest games of the 2019 Playoffs (Games 6 and 7 vs. Toronto), whereas Embiid shot 5-14 and 6-18.

Game 6 vs. Toronto
Ben Simmons.....21 points.....8 rebounds.....6 assists
Joe Embiid.....17 points.....12 rebounds.....1 assist.....2 blocks.....1 steal

Game 7 at Toronto
Ben Simmons.....13 points.....8 rebounds.....5 assists.....3 blocks.....1 steal
Joe Embiid.....21 points.....11 rebounds.....4 assists.....3 blocks

Ben Simmons Playoff Stats
15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 698

Post#1808 » by AI_Efficiency » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:52 am

NADALalot wrote:I'd be more worried about Embiid than Simmons
Simmons was able to duplicate his regular season form in the 2 biggest games of the 2019 playoffs (Games 6 and 7 vs. Toronto), whereas Embiid failed miserably (Embiid shot 5-14 and 6-18 and only shot .370 in the series).

Game 6 vs. Toronto

Game 7 at Toronto

15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games

Respectfully, this is like elementary school analysis, both in just looking at these stats and the sample size. Embiid affects the game outside of his scoring and a lot of his efficiency comes at the line. For example, Embiid was +10 in that game 7 (he played 45 minutes, so we were -12 in the 3 minutes he wasn’t in which is wild). Assuming he’s healthy, he won’t be what holds us back.
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#1809 » by NADALalot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 am

AI_Efficiency wrote:
NADALalot wrote:I'd be more worried about Embiid than Simmons
Simmons was able to duplicate his regular season form in the 2 biggest games of the 2019 playoffs (Games 6 and 7 vs. Toronto), whereas Embiid failed miserably (Embiid shot 5-14 and 6-18 and only shot .370 in the series).

Game 6 vs. Toronto

Game 7 at Toronto

15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games

Respectfully, this is like elementary school analysis, both in just looking at these stats and the sample size. Embiid affects the game outside of his scoring and a lot of his efficiency comes at the line. For example, Embiid was +10 in that game 7 (he played 45 minutes, so we were -12 in the 3 minutes he wasn’t in which is wild). Assuming he’s healthy, he won’t be what holds us back.

+/- isn't a reliable individual stat, because your overall line-up can contribute to that more than the individual player, because one star player may be on the floor with more starters than the other star player.

Certainly I'd be more nervous putting Embiid on the court with a weaker line-up. Whereas Simmons can carry a line-up of one-dimensional spot-up shooters.....but if they go cold, then it shows in Ben's +/- in that particular game.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1810 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am

“I’d be worried about Embiid than Simmons”

Duplicate what? 15ppg?

Norman Powell averaged more than that.

“But he makes all the assists that leads to 3pters”

I’d rather have Steph Curry on my team than Draymond Green

Bro, the only thing Ben has an advantage over Biid is durability. And it’s not even saying that much.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1811 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:31 am

DCasey91 wrote:I just wished that both Ben and Harris capitalized on their size more. Both have poor free throw rates if we are being honest. Prime Melo was getting to the line almost 9 times a game. I’m more than happy to live with result with Ben. Both have more than enough size don’t need to play fancy.

Two dribble pull up/drive/Catch and Shoot should be Harris A one mode

If Ben sees any sort of space head straight to the rim sure he lacks length but the disruption factor should be there. Don’t go full barreling in I believe his got a good enough handle to get a spot plus he’s more than a good enough passer.

His defender cheats which exposes it so it’s easier to Double Embiid. Just want more active pressure on offense that’s all. Cuts/Lobs/Roll man I know he can do that

Someone should smack Ben in the face before every game lol serious on that. Aggro Ben at least goes hard for 5-8 minutes

Reality:
Tobi works on his craft
Ben works on his body

What we need:
Tobi works on his body
Ben works on his craft

Tobi shies away from contact.
Ben loves contact but has no touch.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#1812 » by Wilfried » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:49 am

NADALalot wrote:I'd be more worried about Embiid than Simmons.
Simmons was able to duplicate his regular season form in the 2 biggest games of the 2019 Playoffs (Games 6 and 7 vs. Toronto), whereas Embiid shot 5-14 and 6-18.

Game 6 vs. Toronto
Joel Embiid.....17 points.....12 rebounds.....1 assist.....2 blocks.....1 steal

Game 7 at Toronto
Joel Embiid.....21 points.....11 rebounds.....4 assists.....3 blocks

15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games

Was Ben even guarded in the play-offs? Joel faces double-teams. If Ben was single-covered, I expect we can only win if he goes +20 points instead of 15

We'll see in a couple of months what he's worth this time around. Still not convinced, but be happy if he proves me wrong
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1813 » by syntax » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm

Game 6 vs. Toronto

Game 7 at Toronto

15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games

Embiid was playing on one leg. He literally could not jump at all off one of his legs.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#1814 » by stormi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:26 pm

Game 6 vs. Toronto

Game 7 at Toronto

15.0 points
8.1 rebounds
6.8 assists
1.5 steals
0.9 blocks
.552 field
.653 free-throw
22 games

I would only semi agree with this take because we don't even win as is because of Ben Simmons production, nor do I expect him to take over a game and be the deciding factor in the clutch. We all know what Ben Simmons is as a player, and the obvious limitations within his game.

Joel Embiid is our superstar. Our patron. Our don. If we are to ever achieve anything as a franchise, even an ECF birth this year - it isn't because of Ben Simmons or Tobias Harris' new found iso'ing ability. Those two are perpetual little game players. Joel Embiid has to prove he's built different.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#1815 » by rzzzzz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:22 pm

I was hopeful we were finally seeing some development in Ben’s game last season, just before he got hurt. But he’s basically got the same skill set, or lack thereof, since they day we drafted him, and Brett declared him the new Magic Johnson. Of course, Johnson was winning championships in school and his rookie season, and he still worked hard developing his game. And look at what Embiid has accomplished working on his shot, and picking up a Eurostep. Doc is definitely a major step up from Brett, but this Ben is already good enough enabling jazz has got to end. So glad we’re getting some semblance of an NBA point guard next week, so that maybe we convince Ben that he’s a big, talented front line player, who needs to develop some reliable short range skills to play in the half court.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#1816 » by downtownpie » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:32 am

Simmons is in for a shock if he thinks he is a supermax player. He isnt getting that in Philly.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#1817 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:50 pm

downtownpie wrote:Simmons is in for a shock if he thinks he is a supermax player. He isnt getting that in Philly.

I think you're the one who's in for a shock
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#1818 » by Monix » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:34 pm

didn't the Sixers just have a more successful run without Embiid than everyone predicted (6-3, 4-2 on the road trip)?

He doesn't score the way fans want him to, but he unquestionably contributes to winning basketball games
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1819 » by sixers4real » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:36 pm

Ben Simmons levels up his game before the all-star break to be an all-star, otherwise he won't be an all-star. He succeeds in that always.

This year, Ben Simmons has to level up his game in playoffs, otherwise Sixers will lose in the 1st round or semis and he will get traded.
Let's see if wants to stay in Philly.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
downtownpie
Pro Prospect
And1: 399

Post#1820 » by downtownpie » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:46 pm

Stanford wrote:
downtownpie wrote:Simmons is in for a shock if he thinks he is a supermax player. He isnt getting that in Philly.

I think you're the one who's in for a shock

You think Morey is that stupid?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers