Draft Night Deal: Magic/Pelicans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Draft Night Deal: Magic/Pelicans 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Based on the direction Orlando is going and the Pelicans looking to become a playoff contender with limited free agent options, ill off this idea:

To Orlando
-Eric Bledsoe (1 year, $18.1 million plus $3.9 million guaranteed)
-2021 Cleveland or Washington 2nd (whatever pick is higher)
-2022 Lakers 1st round pick (unprotected)

To New Orleans
-Terrence Ross (2 years, $24 million)
-Michael Carter-Williams (1 year, $3.3 million)

Why?
-Bledsoe give Magic a veteran PG who can be a stop gap option to start while Fultz gets back into swing of things and Anthony continues to develop. With the acquisition of Gary Harris, I assume Magic will start Harris/Okeke/Isaac between the 2-3-4 spots and furthermore draft a SG/SF with either their own 1st or Bulls 1st. HArris and Bledsoe can be off the books for 2022 off-season

Bledsoe/Fultz/Anthony
Harris/1st/Hampton
Okeke/Bacon/2nd
Isaac/1st/FA
Carter/Bamba/2nd

-New Orleans gets a value based starting SG in Ross as he has 2 years left on his deal and PG depth in MCW

Ball?/Lewis/MCW
Ross/Walker/2nd
Ingram/FA/Iwundu/
Williamson/1st/FA
Adams/Hayes/2nd
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: Draft Night Deal: Magic/Pelicans 

Post#2 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:27 pm

Magic will already have plenty of PG options (Fultz, Anthony, MCW, Suggs/Cunningham?). no need to have Bledsoe who I cant imagine would be happy on a bad team. Would rather keep Ross who is a great team/locker room guy and provides help at the wing which Orlando would likely need.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:56 pm

tiderulz wrote:Magic will already have plenty of PG options (Fultz, Anthony, MCW, Suggs/Cunningham?). no need to have Bledsoe who I cant imagine would be happy on a bad team. Would rather keep Ross who is a great team/locker room guy and provides help at the wing which Orlando would likely need.

Sure, Bledsoe may not want to be with the club for all of next season as he could agree to a buyout as I don't see him getting more than MLE at his age/skill moving forward in his career.

Depending on what Orlando does with their 2 x 2021 1st round picks, Ross could be expendable if the Magic want to focus on player development for next season.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#4 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:Magic will already have plenty of PG options (Fultz, Anthony, MCW, Suggs/Cunningham?). no need to have Bledsoe who I cant imagine would be happy on a bad team. Would rather keep Ross who is a great team/locker room guy and provides help at the wing which Orlando would likely need.

Sure, Bledsoe may not want to be with the club for all of next season as he could agree to a buyout as I don't see him getting more than MLE at his age/skill moving forward in his career.

Depending on what Orlando does with their 2 x 2021 1st round picks, Ross could be expendable if the Magic want to focus on player development for next season.

you still need some good vets with a young team. There has been zero issues with Ross. Think I would rather deal with the devil i know with Ross and MCW who gives effort every night.

In a vacuum, it isnt bad value. all depends on how the front office values those picks.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#5 » by sonictecture » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm

If the Pels want to use a first to shed Bledsoe, then they shouldn’t also ask for rotation players in return, without further compensation.

If I was Orlando:

Pels 2022 frp, lottery protected. Frp and lottery protection rolls over following year and then becomes unprotected.

For

Eric Bledsoe
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:31 pm

sonictecture wrote:If the Pels want to use a first to shed Bledsoe, then they shouldn’t also ask for rotation players in return, without further compensation.

If I was Orlando:

Pels 2022 frp, lottery protected. Frp and lottery protection rolls over following year and then becomes unprotected.

For

Eric Bledsoe

Orlando doesn’t project to have the cap space to do that right now. They might get to $16m, but the higher their pick gets, the lower that will be.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
sonictecture wrote:If the Pels want to use a first to shed Bledsoe, then they shouldn’t also ask for rotation players in return, without further compensation.

If I was Orlando:

For

Eric Bledsoe

Orlando doesn’t project to have the cap space to do that right now. They might get to $16m, but the higher their pick gets, the lower that will be.

didnt they get a TPE from Fournier to Boston?
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#8 » by Euphonetiks » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:22 am

The Pelicans don’t need more guards and we certainly aren’t trading an unprotected pick to dump a year of Eric Bledsoe when everyone on the team seems to like him.
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#9 » by Creativetran » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:22 pm

Hell no, I'm selling Ross. We are so crappy, we are tanking, I want the minutes to ALL young guys.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:37 pm

Yeh, don’t think value is bad but NOP has Ingram, Hart, NAW, and will be drafting in a range where wings are projected to be BPA.

Guess I’m saying I still think NOP should be flipping a wing, not trading for one.

They won’t be able to pay Hart and NAW assuming they pay Lonzo. Know Hart and NAW have roles but don’t expect NOP to be able to pay them both. Should be being proactive and getting another future asset for one of them this offseason.

Orlando needs to decide on some of their kids before they end up with depreciating assets like Boston went through. I understand this is a BRAND new problem for Orlando, so nothing wrong with it but.. if they draft a guard (Green/Suggs/Moody) then they need to be flipping Hampton if he has any value.. if they draft a center (Mobley/Sengun) they should be flipping one of Bamba/Carter. I’d rather keep Ross and trade RJ. Keep the Captain.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#11 » by Zion Wembanyama » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:02 pm

Nawlins says no.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#12 » by orlando_joe » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:43 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

If I was Orlando:

For

Eric Bledsoe

didnt they get a TPE from Fournier to Boston?

yea but its 17150..so a bit light to fit him
they also got 1 for aminu 4.3 mill
and a 2 mill one for clark
to bad cant combine
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:39 pm

Using a 1st to dump Bledsoe is pretty pointless now. It made sense if they needed to move his contract around during the trade deadline to make another trade work. But come this offseason, Bledsoe is essentially an expiring contract. His final year in his deal isnt fully guaranteed. You dont need to attach a 1st round pick to get rid of an expiring deal that is worth 18 mil.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#14 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:19 pm

Bledsoe sucked everytime I watched him this year. Guess he's getting older, and he'll be worse next year. I'd actually pay money to not watch him play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#15 » by ADMVP » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 am

jayjaysee wrote:Yeh, don’t think value is bad but NOP has Ingram, Hart, NAW, and will be drafting in a range where wings are projected to be BPA.

Guess I’m saying I still think NOP should be flipping a wing, not trading for one.

They won’t be able to pay Hart and NAW assuming they pay Lonzo. Know Hart and NAW have roles but don’t expect NOP to be able to pay them both. Should be being proactive and getting another future asset for one of them this offseason.

Orlando needs to decide on some of their kids before they end up with depreciating assets like Boston went through. I understand this is a BRAND new problem for Orlando, so nothing wrong with it but.. if they draft a guard (Green/Suggs/Moody) then they need to be flipping Hampton if he has any value.. if they draft a center (Mobley/Sengun) they should be flipping one of Bamba/Carter. I’d rather keep Ross and trade RJ. Keep the Captain.
Hart and NAW are really good fits for the team. Why trade them in hopes to find one of those exact players?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:45 pm

ADMVP wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Yeh, don’t think value is bad but NOP has Ingram, Hart, NAW, and will be drafting in a range where wings are projected to be BPA.

Guess I’m saying I still think NOP should be flipping a wing, not trading for one. .
Hart and NAW are really good fits for the team. Why trade them in hopes to find one of those exact players?

Because over the next 2-3 years financially Zion, Ingram, Ball, Hart, NAW seems to be very expensive with the roster still needing help at other positions. But if the team is fine paying everyone and will use assets to fill in the roles Hayes/Lewis (if they don’t develop into their potential) should have then sure.

Keep both wings.
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#17 » by ADMVP » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:26 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
ADMVP wrote:

Guess I’m saying I still think NOP should be flipping a wing, not trading for one. .

Because over the next 2-3 years financially Zion, Ingram, Ball, Hart, NAW seems to be very expensive with the roster still needing help at other positions. But if the team is fine paying everyone and will use assets to fill in the roles Hayes/Lewis (if they don’t develop into their potential) should have then sure.

Keep both wings.
I don't expect to have all of these players on the roster, particularly Lonzo. But I would imagine one of the contracts voted be used in a future trade for a disgruntled star. But who knows.

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 pm

ADMVP wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
ADMVP wrote:Hart and NAW are really good fits for the team. Why trade them in hopes to find one of those exact players?

Keep both wings.
I don't expect to have all of these players on the roster, particularly Lonzo. But I would imagine one of the contracts voted be used in a future trade for a disgruntled star. But who knows.

Yeah, if you’re not going to pay Lonzo - then you keep everybody else.

But I wouldn’t let Lonzo go, so I would be trading NAW/etc. and personally wouldn’t be planning on trading for a disgruntled star since I think NOP has their stars on their roster. But if the opportunity arises, of course.

Return to Trades and Transactions