Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0 

Post#81 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Redick on his pod saying he asked for a trade to the Northeast in November and Griffin asked him for a month and that he would then send him somewhere he'd be close to his family. Then didn't obviously. And while he's saying the right things about the Mavs organization, he ripped Griffin pretty good for not honoring his word. Talked about not trusting that organization at all. Pretty candid stuff. Also expected to get bought out so he could find a team in the Northeast.

So yeah JJ doesn't want to be in Dallas.

You know in fairness, Redick has no place to complain. He went to the team that offered him the most money, which is fine, but I'm not really into someone taking the most money and then demanding to be traded or bought out so they can go where want. He had a choice: money or comfort.

He addressed that he took the most money but that he also wanted to play with Jrue because of his defensive versatility and that the combo of Jrue gone, SVG's defense and COVID made him want out. He also went direct to Griffin/Langdon as opposed to sending his agent.

I agree that that doesn't mean he should get his way. But if Griffin promised him he would work with him I do understand him being bothered. And part of his reasoning was that the circumstances changed from what he signed up for.

Not defending Redick so much as just reporting what he said. We normally don't get this level of candor and it was interesting to hear. Though obviously not great to hear he doesn't want to be in Dallas.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#82 » by BullyKing » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Redick on his pod saying he asked for a trade to the Northeast in November and Griffin asked him for a month and that he would then send him somewhere he'd be close to his family. Then didn't obviously. And while he's saying the right things about the Mavs organization, he ripped Griffin pretty good for not honoring his word. Talked about not trusting that organization at all. Pretty candid stuff. Also expected to get bought out so he could find a team in the Northeast.

So yeah JJ doesn't want to be in Dallas.

You know in fairness, Redick has no place to complain. He went to the team that offered him the most money, which is fine, but I'm not really into someone taking the most money and then demanding to be traded or bought out so they can go where want. He had a choice: money or comfort.

He addressed that he took the most money but that he also wanted to play with Jrue because of his defensive versatility and that the combo of Jrue gone, SVG's defense and COVID made him want out. He also went direct to Griffin/Langdon as opposed to sending his agent.

I agree that that doesn't mean he should get his way. But if Griffin promised him he would work with him I do understand him being bothered. And part of his reasoning was that the circumstances changed from what he signed up for.

Not defending Redick so much as just reporting what he said. We normally don't get this level of candor and it was interesting to hear. Though obviously not great to hear he doesn't want to be in Dallas.

Of course, this is far from the most egregious stance a player has ever taken. I think it's more that this is kind of a pattern with Redick. Like he always wants to be in a certain geographic area but refuses to miss out on a dollar to make that happen.

And I find it hard to fault Griffin for not ultimately accommodating him. First, Redick was pretty awful at the beginning of the year which obviously isn't going to help his trade value. Second, I think we all know that Redick was only interested in ending up on the Nets or Sixers and unless the Nets were interested in sending Dinwiddie for Redick, there really wasn't the matching salary available to make that a reality because, again, he took the most money as a free agent. So unless Griffin expressly promised to buy him out, I'm not going to blame him for getting something back for his team.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck

Post#83 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 pm

BullyKing wrote:[

Of course, this is far from the most egregious stance a player has ever taken. I think it's more that this is kind of a pattern with Redick. Like he always wants to be in a certain geographic area but refuses to miss out on a dollar to make that happen.

And I find it hard to fault Griffin for not ultimately accommodating him. First, Redick was pretty awful at the beginning of the year which obviously isn't going to help his trade value. Second, I think we all know that Redick was only interested in ending up on the Nets or Sixers and unless the Nets were interested in sending Dinwiddie for Redick, there really wasn't the matching salary available to make that a reality because, again, he took the most money as a free agent. So unless Griffin expressly promised to buy him out, I'm not going to blame him for getting something back for his team.

The only sympathy I have for JJ is this: if Griffin really promised to get him where he wanted to be or buy him out, then he has every right to be upset especially since he said they had 4 face to face conversations about it. And I'm sorry but Dallas' 2nd round pick this year isn't enough value to say sorry JJ, but I had to take this offer.

The issue for me wouldn't be JJ was done wrong. He wasn't. But rather Griffin shouldn't make a promise he really has no intention of honoring. How good Redick was or wasn't playing isn't really relevant.

Of course I'm completely on the other side of this whole buyout issue than most as well. I don't always assume the team is noble and the player took the money so he needs to just shut up and deal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#84 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,489

Post#85 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:23 pm

Not that JJ is "right" but I feel like a guy that has been in the NBA for 14 plus years has earned the courtesy of being brought out vs traded for a playoff second .

I think being viewed as a player friendly team is more valuable than the second.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#86 » by pacers33granger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 pm

Wouldn't shock me at all if Griffins promise was premised on JJ giving up some amount of money and Mintz said he wanted it all.

Griffin shouldn't have made the promise in the first place, but I doubt we're being given the full story.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#87 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Aaron Mintz has a pretty long list of NBA players including two other current Pelicans players.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#88 » by loserX » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 pm

What Redick wants is not necessarily what Redick gets.

What I'm curious about is whether anyone let Dallas know before the trade that he wouldn't want to be there either. Seems like something his agent should have passed along, but maybe Dallas thought they could convince him :dontknow:
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#89 » by BullyKing » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
BullyKing wrote:[

The only sympathy I have for JJ is this: if Griffin really promised to get him where he wanted to be or buy him out, then he has every right to be upset especially since he said they had 4 face to face conversations about it. And I'm sorry but Dallas' 2nd round pick this year isn't enough value to say sorry JJ, but I had to take this offer.

The issue for me wouldn't be JJ was done wrong. He wasn't. But rather Griffin shouldn't make a promise he really has no intention of honoring. How good Redick was or wasn't playing isn't really relevant.

Of course I'm completely on the other side of this whole buyout issue than most as well. I don't always assume the team is noble and the player took the money so he needs to just shut up and deal.

I think that's where I'm hung up on whether or not Griffin really made him an explicit promise. One could easily see Griffin saying something like I'll do my best to accommodate you and Redick interpreting that as a promise to get him to where he wants to be. Like if Redick said I want to be in New York or Philly and that was the extent of the list (which it sort of has to be given this is supposedly because he wanted to be close to his family and on a winning team), I have a hard time believing Griffin would be presented with such limited options and respond "sure, no problem, we'll make it happen."
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck

Post#90 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:38 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Wouldn't shock me at all if Griffins promise was premised on JJ giving up some amount of money and Mintz said he wanted it all.

Griffin shouldn't have made the promise in the first place, but I doubt we're being given the full story.

Redick saying this publicly if the real story is he wouldn't give up some money would be an absolutely terrible look for him. I agree we are definitely getting only his perspective, but JJ going somewhat scorched earth on an organization and saying his agency isn't going to trust them any more is a really big deal. Would he really say that if the actual story was Griffin would let him go but JJ wouldn't give up a couple million dollars? I find that hard to believe.
Texas Chuck

Post#91 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:40 pm

loserX wrote:What Reddick wants is not necessarily what Reddick gets.

What I'm curious about is whether anyone let Dallas know before the trade that he wouldn't want to be there either. Seems like something his agent should have passed along, but maybe Dallas thought they could convince him :dontknow:

I don't think so. JJ mentioned on the pod that he called Cuban shortly after the trade. And he tried to make it clear his issue wasn't with the Mavericks, it was with Dallas not being close to Brooklyn.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#92 » by pacers33granger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Wouldn't shock me at all if Griffins promise was premised on JJ giving up some amount of money and Mintz said he wanted it all.

Redick saying this publicly if the real story is he wouldn't give up some money would be an absolutely terrible look for him. I agree we are definitely getting only his perspective, but JJ going somewhat scorched earth on an organization and saying his agency isn't going to trust them any more is a really big deal. Would he really say that if the actual story was Griffin would let him go but JJ wouldn't give up a couple million dollars? I find that hard to believe.
If it was any other agent I wouldn't be skeptical. Mintz let PG say stuff in public while he did the opposite behind closed doors. The guy gets no benefit of the doubt from me with how he's handled things in the past. He very well may have thought he could play hardball and Griffin didn't budge.

Still an awful look for Griffin no matter what though.

loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#93 » by loserX » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:46 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
loserX wrote:What Reddick wants is not necessarily what Reddick gets.

I don't think so. JJ mentioned on the pod that he called Cuban shortly after the trade. And he tried to make it clear his issue wasn't with the Mavericks, it was with Dallas not being close to Brooklyn.

Okay then *that's* a bit shady. Again, Redick is not entitled to certain circumstances just because he wants them, but if Griffin passed off a hot potato without telling anyone, that's not a good look.

And again I wonder where his agent was during all this.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#94 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:49 pm

JJ should shut up, and recount these battles, when he's retired .. 1 place out of respect for Dallas. It doesn't seem smart to me either, to get to a new place (strange injury) ... anyone can think badly ... the guy is making millions
1+1=11
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#95 » by kingcong95 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:11 pm

So one guy that was traded for Redick and another who's due for a new contract via RFA. Yeah, don't see a lot of teeth on that claim.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#96 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:18 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Aaron Mintz has a pretty long list of NBA players including two other current Pelicans players.

I'm old enough to remember, 48 hours ago, when people suggested this type of thing was being overblown.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#97 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:19 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm old enough to remember, 48 hours ago, when people suggested this type of thing was being overblown.

I mean I think we’re seeing how arbitrary and silly it can be as well.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#98 » by eminence » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:18 pm

JJ could've easily given up a few million dollars (still making millions of dollars) and been playing wherever he wanted to be playing that wanted him months ago. He's in a worse light imo.
I bought a boat.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#99 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:53 pm

eminence wrote:JJ could've easily given up a few million dollars (still making millions of dollars) and been playing wherever he wanted to be playing that wanted him months ago. He's in a worse light imo.

Yeah, it's been paraphrased enough times that I don't know who originally said it, but while there are lines that shouldn't be crossed in terms of harassment, the chance that you might have to pack your bags and move your family in the middle of the season is an occupational hazard that goes with the multimillion dollar contract. I guess I understand it from a leverage standpoint, but the saga over the last few years where JJ Redick of all players is supposed to have enough juice to dictate exactly where he can get traded has always been weird to me.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#100 » by Soulyss » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Not that JJ is "right" but I feel like a guy that has been in the NBA for 14 plus years has earned the courtesy of being brought out vs traded for a playoff second .

I think being viewed as a player friendly team is more valuable than the second.

Nah... JJ did a money grab and is now bitching... I have zero sympathy. Had JJ been with the Pels for a decade... yeah, he would have the right to complain.

Return to Trades and Transactions