Deandre Ayton news and discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,394

Re: Deandre Ayton year 3, the next step 

Post#741 » by dremill24 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I'd consider Zion too. I can't imagine Ayton doing this in the next year:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31147848/nba-power-rankings-how-trade-deadline-buyout-market-shake-league-hierarchy

(See, I don't "hate" Ayton, I just have a bit more in depth thoughts about him than you could put it in a simple box of "hater" or "fanboy". Same goes for the team, and the GM, the Coach, or pretty much anything in the world that I have more than a bit of knowledge about...)

Nuance has no place in the Twitter age lol
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#742 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#743 » by Bogyo » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm

dremill24 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I'd consider Zion too. I can't imagine Ayton doing this in the next year:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31147848/nba-power-rankings-how-trade-deadline-buyout-market-shake-league-hierarchy

(See, I don't "hate" Ayton, I just have a bit more in depth thoughts about him than you could put it in a simple box of "hater" or "fanboy". Same goes for the team, and the GM, the Coach, or pretty much anything in the world that I have more than a bit of knowledge about...)

Nuance has no place in the Twitter age lol

Yup. Confirmed. I'm old. Speaking of old - I did love Andre Miller's old man game. But I don't want to hijack the thread.
Lets go back to hating somebody. :lol:
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#744 » by TouchPassDario » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm

Burns and Gambo are comfortable putting “all of the blame” on DA if he doesn’t play well in the playoffs and we lose. Lol

I wouldn’t be upset at a first round loss to Denver or Portland in 7. Hell, Denver was down 3-1 to Utah last year in the first round. The playoffs is a bit of a crapshoot. Unless your name is literally LeBron.

Can’t wait for the BIG PLAYOFF NARRATIVEZ tho for our 24 and under core in their first playoff run! Member Jordan got his ass tossed in the 1st round his first three tries!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#745 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:05 pm

Ayton was really good the final 5 minutes in that hawks game. The baby hook, the offensive rebound and put back, and the D on the Young drive were all key plays in the victory.

He keeps doing that late in games and a lot of the complaining around here will stop.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#746 » by Bogyo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:28 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Ayton was really good the final 5 minutes in that hawks game. The baby hook, the offensive rebound and put back, and the D on the Young drive were all key plays in the victory.

He keeps doing that late in games and a lot of the complaining around here will stop.

First part fully agreed.

Second - the last 3 pages of this thread there have not been any complaints about Ayton or his play. Quite the opposite. Coincidence? I think not. So much for the "hating" theory I guess. Same for the game threads, it's nothing but love for Ayton, even from yours truly.

So basically I'm saying what I've been trying to get through the skulls of everybody willing to listen (or really comprehend what they are reading on this forum) - if someone plays good, they will get praised. If someone sucks they will get criticized. Quelle surprise.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Post#747 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Good to see. Still a lot of hate on twitter. But I think some people here realized they were being a little too harsh on a 22 year old who had already gotten really good in so many areas, but was just inconsistent which is to be expected to some extent.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#748 » by Bogyo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Good to see. Still a lot of hate on twitter. But I think some people here realized they were being a little too harsh on a 22 year old who had already gotten really good in so many areas, but was just inconsistent which is to be expected to some extent.

Nope, not at all. But let's just leave it at that.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#749 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:26 pm

Most post ups per game:

Embiid 13 - all star
Vucevic 11 - all star
Towns 9 - all star
Jokic 9 - all star
Davis 8 - all star
Drummond 8 - all star
Sabonis 7 - all star
-----------
Ayton 5

Has a clear opportunity to grow into that type of player with how well he is developing his fight for position and hook / jumper closer to the basket. 4 more chances with 4 extra points gets him to 19/11.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#750 » by suns12345 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 pm

Bogyo wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Ayton was really good the final 5 minutes in that hawks game. The baby hook, the offensive rebound and put back, and the D on the Young drive were all key plays in the victory.

First part fully agreed.

Second - the last 3 pages of this thread there have not been any complaints about Ayton or his play. Quite the opposite. Coincidence? I think not. So much for the "hating" theory I guess. Same for the game threads, it's nothing but love for Ayton, even from yours truly.

So basically I'm saying what I've been trying to get through the skulls of everybody willing to listen (or really comprehend what they are reading on this forum) - if someone plays good, they will get praised. If someone sucks they will get criticized. Quelle surprise.

He very rarely gets touches late in games. I think that is because 1) the guys dont trust him/want to take the shots themselves and 2) he isnt that confident with the ball and isnt a great decision maker.

But for the other three quarters he is a pretty reliable bucket when he gets it and shoots a high percentage. So it is exciting to see him start to have an impact on that end in the 4th. I think it will be big for us when the guards and making shots.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#751 » by Bogyo » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:50 am

suns12345 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

First part fully agreed.

He very rarely gets touches late in games. I think that is because 1) the guys dont trust him/want to take the shots themselves and 2) he isnt that confident with the ball and isnt a great decision maker.

But for the other three quarters he is a pretty reliable bucket when he gets it and shoots a high percentage. So it is exciting to see him start to have an impact on that end in the 4th. I think it will be big for us when the guards and making shots.

For sure! I did not understand why he was not getting the ball AT ALL in the 4th Q in the last couple of games, when he was ON. Hopefully that changes too. He will botch some of the opportunities, like every young player, and then either learn from it or not - like every young player. If he does, we got a gamer, who puts us into real contention.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#752 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:13 pm

Anyone knows the context of this moment?

Read on Twitter
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#753 » by Saberestar » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:26 pm

Read on Twitter
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#754 » by RunDogGun » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:54 pm

He looked very focused and he still had energy. There have been a few games this year where he looked gassed in the fourth quarter, but that was not the case last night. I hope he keeps this up.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#755 » by Bogyo » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:06 pm

RunDogGun wrote:

He looked very focused and he still had energy. There have been a few games this year where he looked gassed in the fourth quarter, but that was not the case last night. I hope he keeps this up.

Yeah, looked good in that regard here, whereas he was clearly gassed against the Hawks in the 4th. He had to do a lot more peremiter defending there tho, so that might be a logical explanation. Bulls had noone dancing around the peremiter after a switch like Trae.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#756 » by RunDogGun » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:11 pm

Bogyo wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

Yeah, looked good in that regard here, whereas he was clearly gassed against the Hawks in the 4th. He had to do a lot more peremiter defending there tho, so that might be a logical explanation. Bulls had noone dancing around the peremiter after a switch like Trae.

Always tougher facing faster guards in the fourth. But in seven minutes of the fourth in that game DA didn't do badly, going 2 for 2 and grabbing four boards. He only missed one free throw, but had no fouls and no turnovers. There were other games where he looked more gassed like the the Minny loss.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#757 » by Bogyo » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:13 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:He looked very focused and he still had energy. There have been a few games this year where he looked gassed in the fourth quarter, but that was not the case last night. I hope he keeps this up.

Always tougher facing faster guards in the fourth. But in seven minutes of the fourth in that game DA didn't do badly, going 2 for 2 and grabbing four boards. He only missed one free throw. There were other games where he looked more gassed like the the Minny loss.

True - then it must be some other thing too, as it's too short of a time to pick up or lose conditioning.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#758 » by RunDogGun » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:21 pm

Bogyo wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Always tougher facing faster guards in the fourth. But in seven minutes of the fourth in that game DA didn't do badly, going 2 for 2 and grabbing four boards. He only missed one free throw. There were other games where he looked more gassed like the the Minny loss.

True - then it must be some other thing too, as it's too short of a time to pick up or lose conditioning.

Well the Minny loss he may have just been defeated since KAT was abusing him, blowing by him, and overall just out hustling him. Its also tough when the opposing big can knock down the three, or drive to the basket. I think he will figure it out. Coach has to recognize when DA is having those issues. He also made stupid fouls, and in the end fouled out.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#759 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:59 pm

Bogyo wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
First part fully agreed.

For sure! I did not understand why he was not getting the ball AT ALL in the 4th Q in the last couple of games, when he was ON. Hopefully that changes too. He will botch some of the opportunities, like every young player, and then either learn from it or not - like every young player. If he does, we got a gamer, who puts us into real contention.

He also has played very well in the last few minutes of the last few games, with key rebounds, putbacks, blocks and defense...so I don't think he is shying away from big moments, They really need to utilize him on offense. He wasn't very good yesterday..one of his worst games overall but was key down the stretch preventing 2-4 points and no offensive second opportunities by guarding Vuc well and forcing a turnover out of bounds on one possession and staying in front of him and stuffing him at the rim grabbing the ball. Those potential points could have been the difference.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#760 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:00 pm

Saberestar wrote:Anyone knows the context of this moment?

Read on Twitter

Looks like a little coaching. I think people read way too much into these little things.

Return to Phoenix Suns