Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#81 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Rappaport is scum. that doesnt make it ok to say offensive/ignorant/bigoted stuff

That's your opinion.

IMO if someone starts baiting you and calling to names first, all bets are off.

so KD can say anything... homophobc, anti-semetic, racist, sexist it doesnt matter cause someone hurt his feelings?

nonsense. KD needs to grow up

A crazy world when Kyrie cant miss time for family matter/having a kid but KD can rant all kinds of homophobic stuff and thats cool.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#82 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
so KD can say anything... homophobc, anti-semetic, racist, sexist it doesnt matter cause someone hurt his feelings?

A crazy world when Kyrie cant miss time for family matter/having a kid but KD can rant all kinds of homophobic stuff and thats cool.

He can say whatever the F he wants if some punk on the internet is baiting him.

Besides, it was a private conversation, insults being exchanged both ways, till that punk took it public.

Maybe I'm not woke enough :roll: , but I'm with KD 100% on this one.

END OF CONVERSATION. You have your opinion and I have mine.

You're not gonna brow-beat me into agreeing with you, so let's just agree to disagree.

Now go pick-up your virtue-signaling award.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#83 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:15 pm

In the words of Will Smith in Men In Black: "Don't start nuttin' and there won't be nuttin'" :nod:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#84 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:22 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

He can say whatever the F he wants if some punk on the internet is baiting him.

Besides, it was a private conversation, insults being exchanged both ways, till that punk took it public.

Maybe I'm not woke enough :roll: , but I'm with KD 100% on this one.

END OF CONVERSATION. You have your opinion and I have mine.

You're not gonna brow-beat me into agreeing with you, so let's just agree to disagree.

Now go pick-up your virtue-signaling award.

You dont need to agree with me. you can continue to be arrogant and ignorant all you want.

The conversation being private doesnt make being a homophobe any better. just like being a closet racist isnt any better then being an open racist. and arguing with another ignorant piece of trash doesnt give you a hall pass to spout hateful, ignorant stuff without any repricautions.

Freedom of speech doesnt include freedom from reoricautions of that speech.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:39 pm

Prokorov wrote:
You dont need to agree with me. you can continue to be arrogant and ignorant all you want.

The conversation being private doesnt make being a homophobe any better. just like being a closet racist isnt any better then being an open racist. and arguing with another ignorant piece of trash doesnt give you a hall pass to spout hateful, ignorant stuff without any repricautions.

Freedom of speech doesnt include freedom from reoricautions of that speech.

Good so don't like KD anymore, he couldn't care less. Some d-bag was trolling him in private, KD snapped, called him a bunch of names and threatened to punch him in the face. Precisely the reaction you should expect if you act like an a-hole where I'm from, so it doesn't phase me in the least. But it sure as hell phased Rapaport because he couldn't go running to the public fast enough.

This dude nailed it:

https://www.theroot.com/kevin-durant-wants-to-whoop-michael-rapaports-ass-and-i-1846589295

While Everybody Loves Raymond, actor Michael Rapaport continues to elude a similar fate.

Maybe it’s because he habitually involves himself in Black people problems that have jack **** to do with him; maybe it’s because he came for Janet Jackson; maybe it’s because he got dragged by Meek Mill; or maybe it’s because he’s the worst kind of white man.

Look, I don’t make the rules; all I know is I don’t particularly care for that MF'er, either.

I'm half white and half latino and I agree with him that this POS is the worst kind of white man. He thinks he has a license to abuse black people just because he's "down with the cause." Well KD let him know he doesn't have it like that, and he's lucky he didn't get punched in the face, but that's the benefit of being an internet loud mouth ... until he takes it too far and it's to his benefit to take his private trolling conversations public.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#86 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:31 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
jesus christ, KD is bored and needs to get back on the court. Rapport is a bitch though for this.

He started it to by making fun of KD after that ridiculous TNT interview.

KD gets him front row seats at Barclay and the ungrateful SOB rewards him by ridiculing him. That's why KD wanted to punch him in the face. He was good to that creep until he mistook kindness for weakness.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#87 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:53 am

Hate KDs response to this in the pre-game with grady... who asked him to comment on it

"im sorry people had to see it"

Doesnt apologize for what he said, for the homophobic remarks... basically is just sorry he got caught.

Bad look for KD.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#88 » by LOUiS-D » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm with Prok on this. It's disappointing and his apology indicates no desire to change. I know people can get upset about assertions of bigotry, because they might not personally intend ill will towards the marginalized group they're referencing. The problem is that language is the most insidious and pervasive form of oppression. Every time it's used it's interpreted by the audience. Some people will be indifferent to KD's statements, others will be hurt, and others again may have their hatred of homosexuals reinforced.

We're talking about groups of people who to this day are still subject to prejudiced arrest, violence and murder. I think it's worth giving up some edgy jokes and insults to give these people a break.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#89 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:46 pm

Don’t think he gets it. Wish Grady would have told him that many people are saying it came off as homophobic. Because his response came off as tone deaf to me, like he doesn’t realize why people are making it a big deal...it’s not just because “uh oh, he used bad words”.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#90 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:34 pm

How is what KD said homophobic ? It’s like if I call somebody a reetard who isn’t reetarded and somebody saying oh I’m being phobic towards slow people. It’s ridiculous the word police get offended by everything. The N word is different since that word was clearly used to abuse black people.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,551

Post#91 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:33 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Don’t think he gets it. Wish Grady would have told him that many people are saying it came off as homophobic. Because his response came off as tone deaf to me, like he doesn’t realize why people are making it a big deal...it’s not just because “uh oh, he used bad words”.

I feel like this has a been a massive failure by the Nets front office to sit KD down and educate him on why he, as a beloved athlete and the face of the franchise, needs to be more thoughtful about issues like this.

He clearly was using the rhetoric not to attack the LGBTQA community but to demean Michael Rappaport...yet at the same time, it's clear that he doesn't get why him using homophobic slurs to insult someone is still harmful especially coming from someone of his stature. I don't think what he said with Grady remotely even shows that he even understands that. That's the part that bugs me. There are people within the Nets organization being paid six figures to respond to PR nightmares like this and the best response is to let KD go on TV and say "sorry you had to see that"? Is Joe Tsai okay with that? Sean Marks? Come on now. The Nets can do better.

Saying or releasing a statement like "I now recognize that the words that I used may have offended and are harmful to members of our LGBT community, and I am sorry and did not mean to hurt or offend anyone. I will do better to educate myself going forward regarding the use of certain language and how it is not acceptable regardless of context." would have nipped this in the bud.

The sad part is, I don't think KD is a hateful person, but I think he, like a lot of other people (and you can clearly see this from the type of responses given here), don't realize that insinuating that someone is gay as an insult is even a bad thing to do. It's like learned behavior that he hasn't grown out of.

Full disclosure: I'm not innocent of this stuff either, when I was younger I called people the same word he called Rappaport, or I've said stupid stuff like "yo that's so gay" to describe something negatively. I was never taught that was wrong. However, I learned that what I was saying was wrong, and I was being disrespectful to not only people that i didn't even know, but to my own family members and friends who are gay and lesbian themselves. I didn't want to be that guy hurting people so I took the time to listen and educate myself. Empathy goes a long way, but in this situation here, I am seeing none of it from Kevin Durant and that is frankly disappointing.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#92 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:20 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:How is what KD said homophobic ? It’s like if I call somebody a reetard who isn’t reetarded and somebody saying oh I’m being phobic towards slow people. It’s ridiculous the word police get offended by everything. The N word is different since that word was clearly used to abuse black people.

C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#93 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Don’t think he gets it. Wish Grady would have told him that many people are saying it came off as homophobic. Because his response came off as tone deaf to me, like he doesn’t realize why people are making it a big deal...it’s not just because “uh oh, he used bad words”.

I feel like this has a been a massive failure by the Nets front office to sit KD down and educate him on why he, as a beloved athlete and the face of the franchise, needs to be more thoughtful about issues like this.

He clearly was using the rhetoric not to attack the LGBTQA community but to demean Michael Rappaport...yet at the same time, it's clear that he doesn't get why him using homophobic slurs to insult someone is still harmful especially coming from someone of his stature. I don't think what he said with Grady remotely even shows that he even understands that. That's the part that bugs me. There are people within the Nets organization being paid six figures to respond to PR nightmares like this and the best response is to let KD go on TV and say "sorry you had to see that"? Is Joe Tsai okay with that? Sean Marks? Come on now. The Nets can do better.

Saying or releasing a statement like "I now recognize that the words that I used may have offended and are harmful to members of our LGBT community, and I am sorry and did not mean to hurt or offend anyone. I will do better to educate myself going forward regarding the use of certain language and how it is not acceptable regardless of context." would have nipped this in the bud.

The sad part is, I don't think KD is a hateful person, but I think he, like a lot of other people (and you can clearly see this from the type of responses given here), don't realize that insinuating that someone is gay as an insult is even a bad thing to do. It's like learned behavior that he hasn't grown out of.

Full disclosure: I'm not innocent of this stuff either, when I was younger I called people the same word he called Rappaport, or I've said stupid stuff like "yo that's so gay" to describe something negatively. I was never taught that was wrong. However, I learned that what I was saying was wrong, and I was being disrespectful to not only people that i didn't even know, but to my own family members and friends who are gay and lesbian themselves. I didn't want to be that guy hurting people so I took the time to listen and educate myself. Empathy goes a long way, but in this situation here, I am seeing none of it from Kevin Durant and that is frankly disappointing.

This is pretty much spot on with how i feel...

And like, i dont even need the canned generic well polished apology. Even if he was like "i didnt mean that as an insult to LBGT community, its not a word we used like that. i apologize if someone took it that way" would get alot more respect from me... his response was just so cringe worthy. Like the only thing he is sorry about is that it got leaked and went public/he got caught. not for anyone he may have offended

and yeah, the Nets really handling this awful. Imagine the 12 year old gay nets fan who is getting bullied and abused in school, told how he is an awful human, maybe beat up... seeing KD calling others the same word he is called daily (C***Sucker) with the same vitrol and disregard as he get it used again him and then seeing KD say "im just sorry it got out there"

Thats damaging for the kid, for the nets, and enables the bullies who are like well if KD is calling people this and is the victem cause it was leaked im good to keep calling this 12 year old gay kid that word

terrible. sad. awful.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#94 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:How is what KD said homophobic ? It’s like if I call somebody a reetard who isn’t reetarded and somebody saying oh I’m being phobic towards slow people. It’s ridiculous the word police get offended by everything. The N word is different since that word was clearly used to abuse black people.

C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have

I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#95 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:41 pm

I can't believe you guys are still talking about this.

KD said sorry and its time to move on.

We having bigger issues to deal with in this world than a stupid private convo between KD and some idiot.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#96 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:42 pm

KD took shots at Michael Rappoport not an entire community! I mean this is getting ridiculous. This is trash talk , i've heard alot worse. It does'nt make it right but too many people are here trying to be holier then though and the word police. It's pretty amusing.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#97 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:47 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.

These words are extremely insensitive. It’s not about being the word police, it’s just about being respectful to other people. I don’t see what’s so crazy about that.

Like, why is cock sucker an insult? Why is bitch an insult? Why is the R word an insult?

It’s because calling someone gay, or a woman, or mentally challenged is supposed to be insulting...but there’s nothing wrong with being any of those things. So people that are those things can easily be like “wtf, why are you making it seem like something is wrong with me?”

It’s kind of the same thing as using skin color as an insult, which btw, KD also did.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#98 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:49 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:KD took shots at Michael Rappoport not an entire community! I mean this is getting ridiculous. This is trash talk , i've heard alot worse. It does'nt make it right but too many people are here trying to be holier then though and the word police. It's pretty amusing.

Too many people are hiding behind the “it’s always been like this” defense, instead of just asking for better.

It’s pretty amusing.

The K word and the N word used to be common insults. Same with the F word. Times change, people become more understanding of other people, and we know we’re not supposed to say certain things.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#99 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:50 pm

It’s honestly disappointing seeing so many apologists for KD’s behavior. Like, take the homer goggles off, jeez.

If LeBron did this, you can be damn sure there would be a huge uproar, and many of the same people defending KD would be going after LeBron. SMH.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#100 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:13 pm

therealbig3 wrote:It’s honestly disappointing seeing so many apologists for KD’s behavior. Like, take the homer goggles off, jeez.

If LeBron did this, you can be damn sure there would be a huge uproar, and many of the same people defending KD would be going after LeBron. SMH.

My thing it was a private conversation that was made public by some bozo comedian. Now we have the word police trying to apply their values & standards over a private convo. It's ridiculous because I know many of you have used not so nice words in the past.

Return to Brooklyn Nets