ImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#181 » by Norseman79 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 pm

Hmmm...moving off of the "top 4" prospects, what does everyone think of Scottie Barnes? I think he is my ideal choice for PF right now... assuming 6'9 225 is accurate measurements.

Suggs
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Barnes

That could also be a very solid core to build with.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#182 » by ChiefKeith91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
jpatrick wrote:This just in, Suggs is real good.

You take him if he's available and don't look back. I don't give a damn if we have DLO

You take Suggs 100% of the time and if you can’t find a trade partner for Russell, you sit him at the end of the bench and let him tinker with his Princess Leia headgear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DNP a player who not only is making 31 mil a year but averages close to 20 ppg and 5 ast. Some of you guys are delusional lol. Fans hate Russell because he didn’t come in and save the franchise from the last 10+ years of embarrassment. Suggs is being compared to Jason Kidd and has some of the same weakness: will struggle to score against longer defenders and low 3pt%. He’s a good player (14, 5 and 5) but what if his success is because he plays on a really good team.

I understand he’s a hometown kid and would be a great story but if anything you should see if him and Russell can co-exist (if Russell can’t be traded).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#183 » by ChiefKeith91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:57 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Hmmm...moving off of the "top 4" prospects, what does everyone think of Scottie Barnes? I think he is my ideal choice for PF right now... assuming 6'9 225 is accurate measurements.

Suggs
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Barnes

This franchise has been drafting young players to “build with” for years and look where that’s got us. It’s like we’re stuck in Dr Strange Time loop. We have to stop always going for youth and hoping they become great and go grab established talent to make a playoff run now. That 4 with KAT won’t win more than 15 games in the West for many reasons. Show me the last West playoff team with 3 or 4 starters on a rookie deal.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#184 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:58 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
You take him if he's available and don't look back. I don't give a damn if we have DLO

You take Suggs 100% of the time and if you can’t find a trade partner for Russell, you sit him at the end of the bench and let him tinker with his Princess Leia headgear.

DNP a player who not only is making 31 mil a year but averages close to 20 ppg and 5 ast. Some of you guys are delusional lol. Fans hate Russell because he didn’t come in and save the franchise from the last 10+ years of embarrassment. Suggs is being compared to Jason Kidd and has some of the same weakness: will struggle to score against longer defenders and low 3pt%. He’s a good player (14, 5 and 5) but what if his success is because he plays on a really good team.

I understand he’s a hometown kid and would be a great story but if anything you should see if him and Russell can co-exist (if Russell can’t be traded).

Rational thoughts Keith. Some of these guys are ridiculous and Dlo has averaged over 21ppg the last few seasons. I think he was at 19.9 so far or something this season while having to allow a first and second year guard development minutes initiating in his role at times.

We just never know what a new draft pick will translate as or how well they will play with others. Strangely enough, Edwards has translated seemingly the exact guy seen in college. Not better or worse.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#185 » by Norseman79 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Hmmm...moving off of the "top 4" prospects, what does everyone think of Scottie Barnes? I think he is my ideal choice for PF right now... assuming 6'9 225 is accurate measurements.

Suggs
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Barnes

This franchise has been drafting young players to “build with” for years and look where that’s got us. It’s like we’re stuck in Dr Strange Time loop. We have to stop always going for youth and hoping they become great and go grab established talent to make a playoff run now. That 4 with KAT won’t win more than 15 games in the West for many reasons. Show me the last West playoff team with 3 or 4 starters on a rookie deal.

I am sorry, Kat wouldn't be on the roster.

The answer to your question is none, but how many have tried? This isn't a we can make the playoffs next year scenario, this is a we are targeting two years from now.

And, the franchise has not been doing it for years, we haven't had consistent enough coaching or gming to have been doing it for years.

I see this as an opportunity to actually identify players that fit well together as they are, not what we would try to make them.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#186 » by Norseman79 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:

You also may want to double check your scouting report on Suggs, for one, he is far more athletic than Kids was, has no problem finishing against longer players as he is a legit 6'4 pg, and is already a good (not great) 3pt shooter.

I do agree that DNPing Russell is not realistic if he is on the roster, but I feel MN fans don't appreciate the style he plays with. I think many want a Marcus Smart/Patrick Beverly/Gary Payton style PG from an intensity/tone setting standpoint.

Find me 5 guys who play with intensity and grit every game...that starts with your leaders...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#187 » by Worm Guts » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm

I think we're in a strange space with Russell. I don't think we should have traded for him, but we also haven't had an opportunity to watch him and Towns play together (not that I necessarily expect much from that). If we give up on Russell and Towns, it feels like we need to do a complete reset. Starting over with 19 year old kids means kicking the playoffs 3-4 years down the road. It's super frustrating at this point.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#188 » by ChiefKeith91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:14 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:You take Suggs 100% of the time and if you can’t find a trade partner for Russell, you sit him at the end of the bench and let him tinker with his Princess Leia headgear.

You also may want to double check your scouting report on Suggs, for one, he is far more athletic than Kids was, has no problem finishing against longer players as he is a legit 6'4 pg, and is already a good (not great) 3pt shooter.

I do agree that DNPing Russell is not realistic if he is on the roster, but I feel MN fans don't appreciate the style he plays with. I think many want a Marcus Smart/Patrick Beverly/Gary Payton style PG from an intensity/tone setting standpoint.

Find me 5 guys who play with intensity and grit every game...that starts with your leaders...

I’m comparing him to College Kidd who averaged 16, 9, 7 and 36% from 3. Suggs is 14,5,5 and 32% (Below average). College long is very diff, he’s not athletic like Morant so NBA defenders will always contest.

They tried to find their GP or Smart when they drafted Dunn but it didn’t pan out. And in this era of guards your teams PG needs to be able to score 25 on any given night to compete. I’d love a lineup similar to GP, Jrue, Smart, KG and Gobert but offense would suffer.

m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#189 » by m2002brian » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:41 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:DNP a player who not only is making 31 mil a year but averages close to 20 ppg and 5 ast. Some of you guys are delusional lol. Fans hate Russell because he didn’t come in and save the franchise from the last 10+ years of embarrassment. Suggs is being compared to Jason Kidd and has some of the same weakness: will struggle to score against longer defenders and low 3pt%. He’s a good player (14, 5 and 5) but what if his success is because he plays on a really good team.

I’m comparing him to College Kidd who averaged 16, 9, 7 and 36% from 3. Suggs is 14,5,5 and 32% (Below average). College long is very diff, he’s not athletic like Morant so NBA defenders will always contest.

They tried to find their GP or Smart when they drafted Dunn but it didn’t pan out. And in this era of guards your teams PG needs to be able to score 25 on any given night to compete. I’d love a lineup similar to GP, Jrue, Smart, KG and Gobert but offense would suffer.

It’s often underrated how great defense leads to easy offense. I wouldn’t be surprised if that lineup was actually extremely functional on offense.
BLUEGREENRED
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore

Post#190 » by ChiefKeith91 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:10 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:

Suggs
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Barnes

I am sorry, Kat wouldn't be on the roster.

The answer to your question is none, but how many have tried? This isn't a we can make the playoffs next year scenario, this is a we are targeting two years from now.

And, the franchise has not been doing it for years, we haven't had consistent enough coaching or gming to have been doing it for years.

I see this as an opportunity to actually identify players that fit well together as they are, not what we would try to make them.

That team won’t be in the playoffs in the next 4-5 if you trade KAT especially in the West. Grizzlies, Pelicans and Kings will be better than us

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#191 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:36 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think we're in a strange space with Russell. I don't think we should have traded for him, but we also haven't had an opportunity to watch him and Towns play together (not that I necessarily expect much from that). If we give up on Russell and Towns, it feels like we need to do a complete reset. Starting over with 19 year old kids means kicking the playoffs 3-4 years down the road. It's super frustrating at this point.

That is the thing. They can't keep kicking it down the road years on end. They didn't even give the Dlo/Beas/Towns thing a single season before lobbing misfits directly into the guard rotation. What they needed to do was add a single Vet PF and draft another forward this past draft for depth and then go for it and see how it turns out. Instead they turned it into a development season before it started. When pray tell us anyone, when will they ever give it a go? And if they aren't going to, what on earth are they wasted their time with Towns/Dlo for? Trade them already and competely reset. Stop wasting all our time.

They could have given up the #1 pick for Collins/Gordon whoever before the draft but I'm sure Rosas wasn't willing to only get them in return. Instead he decides to keep the pick and destroy any chance? Then come deadline after Edwards at least shows some flash and production ability he could have used that, instead makes him untradeable. It's a decision to not try again. So fine, live with that decision and trade Towns and let's build something different. They have to stop building halfway and then quitting before really trying. Adding rooks and starting them is called rebuilding.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#192 » by Norseman79 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I think we're in a strange space with Russell. I don't think we should have traded for him, but we also haven't had an opportunity to watch him and Towns play together (not that I necessarily expect much from that). If we give up on Russell and Towns, it feels like we need to do a complete reset. Starting over with 19 year old kids means kicking the playoffs 3-4 years down the road. It's super frustrating at this point.

That is the thing. They can't keep kicking it down the road years on end. They didn't even give the Dlo/Beas/Towns thing a single season before lobbing misfits directly into the guard rotation. What they needed to do was add a single Vet PF and draft another forward this past draft for depth and then go for it and see how it turns out. Instead they turned it into a development season before it started. When pray tell us anyone, when will they ever give it a go? And if they aren't going to, what on earth are they wasted their time with Towns/Dlo for? Trade them already and competely reset. Stop wasting all our time.

They could have given up the #1 pick for Collins/Gordon whoever before the draft but I'm sure Rosas wasn't willing to only get them in return. Instead he decides to keep the pick and destroy any chance? Then come deadline after Edwards at least shows some flash and production ability he could have used that, instead makes him untradeable. It's a decision to not try again. So fine, live with that decision and trade Towns and let's build something different. They have to stop building halfway and then quitting before really trying. Adding rooks and starting them is called rebuilding.

You pretty much nailed my feelings on this. They had the opportunity to build around Kat/DLo in a meaningful way.
Now is the time to trade and garner assets.

But it won't matter what they do if they don't have a damn clear plan of what they are doing and how they are going to do it. Identify how you want your team to play and then build it accordingly.
wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#193 » by wolfen » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Jedzz wrote:
wolfen wrote:I'm thinking Patrick Beverly but with a better offensive game. Why I think he would fit in so well (besides the defense) is that he is just fine not having to force the issue on offense. He is very satisfied with "first pass play", bringing the ball up and getting it to his weapons. Then he picks his spots when sh@t needs to get done and uses his speed to collapse the defense. He's almost a 3 and D PG really, which would be perfect, since KAT and Ant are the primary weapons. Set them up, play tough D, nail the open 3, and break down defenses. Lather, rinse, repeat...

You don't need a PG, and whoever you draft isn't going to get much time walking it up. Ant will take most of that too, like he already has. If you want another combo guard, trade Ant first. Otherwise go for a position of need or we can start this developing logjam all over again. Ant isn't asking anyone to set him up. He's the setter upper baby. A choice to keep him is a choice to live with that.

Frankly, I don't see the organization keeping DLo around long term. The defensive holes are just too big, especially when you combine him with Beasley and Ant...
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#194 » by theGreatRC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm

I personally believe Suggs is the BPA and i'm not from Minnesota, never been to Minnesota and don't plan to anytime soon (unless we're in the playoffs)..I have no feeling of bringing a hometown kid to Minnesota, I just watch him and he is the complete package.

I said I don't give a damn if we have DLO meaning they can split time together at the 1 or Start in the back court together.

Maybe Rosas will think Mobley, Green, Kuminga or Cade is the BPA if we get a top 3 pick, so it is what it is
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#195 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 pm

Foye wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Foye wrote:
Personally, I think about the only team that would take Towns for a top pick is Golden State. And that is Wolves very own 1st lmao. Rosas will rightfully get roasted by media if he makes such a trade.

Houston, Detroit, Washington, Orlando...they all suck. There‘s no incentive for them to get Towns. Would barely move them to .500 cementing their mediocrity status for the next couple years.

Well you would be wrong. Just because the Timberwolves can't seem to make it work for playoffs yet doesn't mean other teams can't instantly thrive with him and different decisionmaking around him, schemes, and a real desire to compete, etc. This has always been nearly the dumbest team in pro sports and they literally almost never try to even have a winning record. Go ahead and try and argue it hasn't. You wonder why a special player's top end value is being questioned? It's what this team does to everyone.

Towns is fools gold.
Any „dumbest“ starts with him.
From wanting his buddy D-Lo in Minny to not giving a damn on D to not showing any leadership on the court.

People need to understand that he is much closer to being on Vukcevic level than he is to Jokic, AD and Embiid.
He is just putting up numbers on a bad team. Hasn‘t lead the Wolves to a single 40 win season as the main guy on the team.

The one time Wolves got 47 wins this was all on Jimmy.

To say it in Jimmy‘s words:
Towns is soft. Soft as charmin.

Nice comment to bust out the Iggy button.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#196 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm

Neeva wrote:I aint taking Mobley in top 3. He lacks the aggression to be a dominant big, he won’t retain the same value Cunningham, Suggs and Green will after 3-4 years in the league.

You and your shorter players maintain their value better than taller players bit :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tjstangeland
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#197 » by Tjstangeland » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm

The great thing about this draft is that Cade, Mobley, Green, Suggs all wouldve been the number 1 pick last year.

Cade will go Number 1 and I believe Mobley number 2. Both can shoot and play Defense. This is the year with the Lottery Gods will turn this franchise around.

With Cade, either Dlo or Beasley will be traded for a power forward. With Mobley, who is 10 times better than Wiseman will be the other big teams will have adjust against.

Also with either these 2 or Suggs, we will have another piece to go with Ant and McDaniels for us to reboot and trade Dlo and Kat for multiple 1st picks in the upcoming drafts.

I think we are still 1 year away from doing this to compete next year to give Golden State a worse 1st round pick. If and only If the Lottery Gods will finally smile on the Wolves.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#198 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 pm

Tankathon currently has the 3 best players as Cunningham, Mobley and Green in that order. When I mocked the draft they were picked in that order under almost all draft contingencies except when the Wolves were picking 2nd we were taking Suggs.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#199 » by Neeva » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:I aint taking Mobley in top 3. He lacks the aggression to be a dominant big, he won’t retain the same value Cunningham, Suggs and Green will after 3-4 years in the league.

You and your shorter players maintain their value better than taller players bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was I was wrong about players taken below wiseman having more value already? it will only get worse for the warriors in the next few seasons.
If Mobley is taken before Jalen Green and Suggs, same thing will happen.
Tjstangeland
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#200 » by Tjstangeland » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 pm

You shouldn't compare Wiseman to Mobley. Wiseman wouldn't make it in the top 6 of this draft. Mobley is so much better than Wiseman. If we can't get Cade, Mobley should be the pick and would be a good 4 until he can put on some weight. Would be a perfect situation for the Wolves.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves