1st Round - Defense ranked by position

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SNPA
Head Coach
And1: 7,142

1st Round - Defense ranked by position 

Post#1 » by SNPA » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 am

Curious ya'll thoughts on players mocked in the first round this year, and outliers in the second round, ranked from a defensive perspective.

Please rank based on the NBA position you see for the player, not his college position (if there is a difference).

Top five'ish best defensive PG/SG/SF/PF/C.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Re: 1st Round - Defense ranked by position 

Post#2 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:06 pm

PG: Suggs, Mitchell, Butler, Springer, Ayayi

SG: Duarte, Lewis, Johnson, Moody, Green

SF: Wagner, Kuminga, Cunningham, Henry, Livers

PF: Mobley, Barnes, Jones, ???????

C: Queta, Jackson, Bassey, Sengun, ????
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#3 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:33 pm

Jay Huff and Usman Garuba are top 2-3 at their positions defensively. DeJon Jarreau is the best backcourt defender from a pure halfcourt defense perspective and could definitely be a very good backup PG if he shoots well enough to be respected on offense.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:54 pm

for C it's the obvious choices, Mobley, Garuba, Jackson, Sharpe and Jones.

PF it's less obvious, Barnes clearly ahead of everyone else at this point, Franz is good, Jalen is fine, Thor has some potential here but still far away, TJD okay on the switch and team defense but isn't gonna block a lot of shots for you

SF it's Lewis and Duarte, Moses is a +, not sure where Kuminga will land but he has the profile to be a + defensively, Henry, Pons.

SG it's Keon, Wieskamp, Agbaji, Cazalon looks good defensively but i have to see more

PG the Baylor guards, Cade, Mann and DJ just by being on the bigger side, Deuce McBride is underrated here as well
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm

NatP4 wrote:PG: Suggs, Mitchell, Butler, Springer, Ayayi

SG: Duarte, Lewis, Johnson, Moody, Green

SF: Wagner, Kuminga, Cunningham, Henry, Livers

PF: Mobley, Barnes, Jones, ???????

C: Queta, Jackson, Bassey, Sengun, ????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
No-Man
RealGM

Post#6 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:34 pm

Jones and Jackson aren't good defenders right now even though they have potential and Sharpe def projects as a below avg defender for a big

Thor is way too raw to be considered here, Scottie Lewis' D is pretty overrated impact wise, Kuminga is flat out bad
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#7 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:41 pm

Fischella wrote:Jones and Jackson aren't good defenders right now even though they have potential and Sharpe def projects as a below avg defender for a big

Thor is way too raw to be considered here, Scottie Lewis' D is pretty overrated impact wise, Kuminga is flat out bad

What are you smoking? Isaiah Jackson is a great defensive player. Jared Butler is good as well. You’re welcome to make your own list...

I’ll admit, I was reaching for some of the names, but OP was asking for 1st round prospects ranked.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#8 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:34 am

Butler is fine, I think he is neutral at best, not sure he does much out there that really translates

Jackson has great tools but his lapses are flagrant and his technique is generally bad

for me guys that can be considered 1st round possible right now according to trustworthy people like Givony;

PG/SG; Suggs gap Mitchell, McBride
SG/SF; Cunningham, Springer, ZWilliams gap Keon Johnson, Duarte, Moody
SF/PF; Wagner, Barnes gap Henry, Edwards, Keyontae Johnson, Shannon
PF/C; Mobley, Garuba gap IJackson, KJones

Those are solid to good defenders for the most part who also project to be impactful at the next level

Kai and Jackson hopefully, but I am not sold, Keon has potential but also flaws not sold there
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#9 » by Roddy B for 3 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:44 am

I don't know the depth to well,so I'm just going with who I currently see as the top for each position.
PG:Cade
-Easy pick here imo, because his versatility is more valuable than standard PG defense
SG:Scottie Lewis
-He makes alot of "Wow" plays and seems to be very discipled too.
SF:Kuminga
-Idk if he's a 3 or a 4, but he has terrific athletic abilities and mesurables to excel at either
PF:Scottie Barnes
-Same as Kuminga, but I do want to note how freaky long his arms seem
C: Garuba
-I think if his offense comes around he'll have All-Defense potential (because he'll need minutes). I hope he gets to play PF/small ball C in the NBA.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#10 » by CptCrunch » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:42 pm

Cade is way too slow to defend PG in the NBA.

If he plays PG in the league, he is going to be a liability defensively and would require his team to have a versatile wing who can defend 1.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#11 » by 916fan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:50 pm

CptCrunch wrote:Cade is way too slow to defend PG in the NBA.

If he plays PG in the league, he is going to be a liability defensively and would require his team to have a versatile wing who can defend 1.

? Just because he may have PG skills doesn't mean he'll have to defend PGs.. all he needs to do is defend SFs and have a guard defend the opposing PGs.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,322

Post#12 » by CptCrunch » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:10 pm

916fan wrote:

? Just because he may have PG skills doesn't mean he'll have to defend PGs.. all he needs to do is defend SFs and have a guard defend the opposing PGs.

So his SF has to defend SG, SG defend PG, so that you can hide your 19 year old rookie on defense because he cannot defend his natural NBA position?
SNPA
Head Coach

Post#13 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:11 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
916fan wrote:

So his SF has to defend SG, SG defend PG, so that you can hide your 19 year old rookie on defense because he cannot defend his natural NBA position?

This is basically the case for Magic and James.
916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#14 » by 916fan » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:08 am

CptCrunch wrote:
916fan wrote:

lmao what? Cade is 6'8 220lbs. He will be defending other 6'8 220lb guys.

How is this hiding Cade on defense? BTW, I see Cade as a natural SF. He's going to defend SFs in the league. Not sure how this is hard to understand. Are you saying that the Lakers are hiding LeBron James on defense? Same for Ben Simmons who guards forwards?
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#15 » by Almost Retired » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:18 pm

nolang1 wrote:Jay Huff and Usman Garuba are top 2-3 at their positions defensively. DeJon Jarreau is the best backcourt defender from a pure halfcourt defense perspective and could definitely be a very good backup PG if he shoots well enough to be respected on offense.

Because of his age it is possible Jarreau won't even get drafted. But there are certain teams, like the Bulls, that could use a guard that can shut down a hot backcourt player. He's got all the intangibles. BBIQ, tenacity, leadership ability....if he can shoot it well enough that he can't be left totally unguarded outside then I can see him making a roster and contributing in a rotation. Not a star or even a starter, but a useful guy to have around especially when paired with a weak defensive SG.
SNPA
Head Coach

Post#16 » by SNPA » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Herbert Jones. How does his game translate defensively? I’m a sucka for wings that block shots.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#17 » by Sactowndog » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:08 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I don't know the depth to well,so I'm just going with who I currently see as the top for each position.
-Easy pick here imo, because his versatility is more valuable than standard PG defense
-Idk if he's a 3 or a 4, but he has terrific athletic abilities and mesurables to excel at either
-I think if his offense comes around he'll have All-Defense potential (because he'll need minutes). I hope he gets to play PF/small ball C in the NBA.

Curious about naming Barnes. Is you ranking based on potential or today’s defense? In the few games I watched Barnes gave up repeated straight line drives to the hoop. I didn’t see much anticipation to catch the offensive players first move. I didn’t watch a ton of his games so it could be a one off.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#18 » by DickGrayson » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Duarte is a natural.

Jackson has 6.1 DBPM which is elite amongst 1st round mock...even if he loses position on defense, Nic Claxton eventually learned how to manage his fouls and his gambles and now he's an impact defender for the Nets. I don't want to hear some crappy take on how Jackson is "generally bad". 6.1 DBPM is too damn to be a fluke. The kid obviously provides productivity on the defense end with very fixable flaws. Kid is 19 and we already labeling them bad at defense with a 6.1 DBPM which is sigfinically higher than most lottery picks. :lol: :nonono: The NBA has changed and long defenders who make an impact will be demand always. I definitely would be laughing if Jackson turns out to be a great NBA defender and he got labeled generally bad at 19 years old. Comedy awaits.

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#19 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:22 am

Sactowndog wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:I don't know the depth to well,so I'm just going with who I currently see as the top for each position.

Curious about naming Barnes. Is you ranking based on potential or today’s defense? In the few games I watched Barnes gave up repeated straight line drives to the hoop. I didn’t see much anticipation to catch the offensive players first move. I didn’t watch a ton of his games so it could be a one off.

I like Barnes alot as a helpside defender. Stock him on a corners shooter and ket him help on diga, secondary rim protection, and keeping the the shooter in the corners, contesting the shooter with his excellent length. I think he'll be a stout post defender, with his low center of gravity/height/length/overall mass, a terrific small ball center.

I dont like him much as a point of attacks defender at the top of the arc. I do think he'd be fine funneling players into rim protection though.

I think with his size, IQ and athletisisim he can be a terrific team defender. Not a lock down 1v.1 guy like an OG, Mikal, etc.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#20 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:26 am

SNPA wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
916fan wrote:? Just because he may have PG skills doesn't mean he'll have to defend PGs.. all he needs to do is defend SFs and have a guard defend the opposing PGs.

This is basically the case for Magic and James.
Luka
1+1=11

Return to NBA Draft