ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets to “transition” away from DeAndre Jordan

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Re: Nets to “transition” away from DeAndre Jordan 

Post#21 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:26 am

Jordan was -16 and a big part of the reason we got blown out in the 1st Qtr ... by the dreadful Rockets!
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:41 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:Jordan was -16 and a big part of the reason we got blown out in the 1st Qtr ... by the dreadful Rockets!

-9 first quarter with DJ. -9 first quarter without DJ
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,757

Post#23 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:45 am

Worst DJ game of this season. I think he's pouting with all the frontcourt signings, dude didn't look like he wanted to be out there today. Nash needs to give the big guy more hugs since we need him engaged even though he's going to be very likely losing PT.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#24 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:50 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Worst DJ game of this season. I think he's pouting with all the frontcourt signings, dude didn't look like he wanted to be out there today. Nash needs to give the big guy more hugs since we need him engaged even though he's going to be very likely losing PT.

it wasnt even one of his 10 worst games. he wasnt good. neither was anyone who played that first quarter. there was 0 D or effort from all 5 guys. over reaction.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#25 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:20 am

Prokorov wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Worst DJ game of this season. I think he's pouting with all the frontcourt signings, dude didn't look like he wanted to be out there today. Nash needs to give the big guy more hugs since we need him engaged even though he's going to be very likely losing PT.

it wasnt even one of his 10 worst games. he wasnt good. neither was anyone who played that first quarter. there was 0 D or effort from all 5 guys. over reaction.

I don't really keep a list of DJ's games on hand but he was bad tonight. There's got to be a reason why we've started games slow for about a month running now

It's not all DJs fault but he sure isn't helping
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#26 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:03 am

It’s the way they have to defend when he is out there. And any player he was guarding had wipe open threes. The whole team has to compensate for his lack of effort.
Sharcm1
Veteran

Post#27 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:05 am

Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:The problem is he isn’t mobile. He is a -1.7 for the season according to espn plus minus stats. The main reason is they give up a lot of three when he is on the court due to his lack of mobility. 20 years ago it wouldn’t have been a problem and what he brings to the team would have been great but in today’s game when every center can shoot threes we need a mobile guy to go guard them. Most of the time he doesn’t even try. If he tried to contest them and just wasn’t quick enough I think people would cut him some slack in it. But he just stands there. Which just shows a lack of effort. Which pisses everyone off. He does the same on rebounding. A lot times he just stands there and watches as the ball goes to the other team. He not going to get every rebound but there are plenty that go right over his head because he doesn’t try. It happens a lot. That’s why harden is constantly talking to him about missed rotations etc.

He is much more mobile then blake and LMA. we could avoid the threes made by switching him like we do with claxton instead of the awful drop coverage.

He can’t switch. And no he’s not more mobile than griffin. And tbd on Aldridge. And if he is more mobile than them then it truly is a lack of effort. Everyone is getting tired of it even his teammates.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:26 am

Sharcm1 wrote:
He can’t switch. And no he’s not more mobile than griffin. And tbd on Aldridge. And if he is more mobile than them then it truly is a lack of effort. Everyone is getting tired of it even his teammates.

My instinct is to agree with you, but I want to watch LMA before I make any final determinations.

We've already seen enough of Claxton to know he's better than DJ at this stage of the game.

Ditto Blake.

For all the talk of Blake being washed up, I've already seen enough to be of the opinion he's better than DJ.

Now we have to see what kind of game LMA brings. If he's better than DJ too, then DJ is the odd man out.

BTW I know Uncle Jeff is not a pure 5, but he's a better BIG than DJ too.
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#29 » by Openheimer » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:23 am

Transition by starting Claxton .
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#30 » by Openheimer » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:24 am

Prokorov wrote:

He was giving the Rockets guards a ton
Of open looks because he refused to close out on the three point shots. He was literally giving them looks.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#31 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:18 am

It's interesting that Ian and Sarah were hinting at Jordan struggling before talking up Claxton and LMA. It lends credence to the Shams tweet, and seems like the team is getting their message out there.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,837

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:47 am

Well that escalated quickly.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#33 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:03 pm

DJ, for all his demonstrative complaining and lackadaisical defensive effort, is still a solid contributor. His role may decrease dramatically down the stretch, but he's still a situational difference maker. Heck, we don't even know for sure if LMA's starting debut was a hard shift, or a night off due to back to backs. The next few games against varying styles of opposing 5's should tell us how Nash plans to proceed.

Also, I'm glad DeAndre has publicly handled the increased competition in stride. One of the contenders of West may have a problem brewing with this same situation:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31186679
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by Whiskey Slick » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:34 pm

I feel bad for DJ because he's given us everything he has left,
but the bottom line is, Aldridge and Claxton are our two best 5's

So barring injuries (God forbid), he's probably out of the regular rotation.

Only other way he gets significant minutes, barring injuries, is if Nash wasn't to give Aldridge or Nic a nite off.
mycorrizae
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#35 » by mycorrizae » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:28 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Don't buy this. Maybe there's a chance it happens but we obviously have to see how LMA plays and fits. The same reports said we were looking at Blake as a 5. Claxton emerged and Blake has been almost strictly a 4. Too early for this considering LMA's defense and DJ brings stuff to the table we need.

You could definitely argue that Blake has been the 5 on defense at times when he plays with Claxton . Just sits in the paint with the center while Claxton gets out on the perimeter to guard.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets to “transition” away from DeAndre Jordan  

Post#36 » by Paradise » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:22 am

LaMarcus Vs Embiid

Sharcm1
Veteran

Post#37 » by Sharcm1 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:59 pm

A big thing will be that Embiid will have to guard Aldridge outside the paint. He’s not going to be able to hide by defending any other player. Durant will be the pf. So it will draw embid out.
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#38 » by sashaturiaf » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:39 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:DJ, for all his demonstrative complaining and lackadaisical defensive effort, is still a solid contributor. His role may decrease dramatically down the stretch, but he's still a situational difference maker. Heck, we don't even know for sure if LMA's starting debut was a hard shift, or a night off due to back to backs. The next few games against varying styles of opposing 5's should tell us how Nash plans to proceed.

Also, I'm glad DeAndre has publicly handled the increased competition in stride. One of the contenders of West may have a problem brewing with this same situation:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31186679

This is where Nash is doing work. Zero drama all season long even through the periods where the team was giving up 120+ on the regular. The team clearly like each other and are pulling for each other.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#39 » by Lamak » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:45 pm

this is the best news of teh season
Brooklyn Nets
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#40 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:31 am

I don't mean to kick a Net while he's down, but it's ironic that our front office used the term "transition" away from DJ. He's never been involved in a transition play all season! I joke, I joke, I keed, I keeeeeeeeed.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets