ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#541 » by Sixersftw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I do think Maxey will be able to make a jump next year. I believe he needs a full offseason working on his jumper and getting a better understanding of the defense.

I think my only reservation moving forward of his is his lack of vertical explosion which isn't mitigated by absurd length for his height (like Donovan Mitchell). Other than that, his frame, speed, and form on his shot are all there to make a pretty substantial jump imo.

I think his variety of tricky finishes and floaters will mitigate some of his lack of explosion. However, that will cap his scoring potential due to lack of FTs. Theres a chance he learns to draw contact just off of his quickness ala Lou Will but that's far less common than seeking contact at the rim.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#542 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:00 pm

The floaters are an anchor on his game. He needs to limit those and either take the open standard jump shot or attack the rim more.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#543 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:28 pm

I would even prefer he stop halfway through the drive and just take a normal mid range jump shot like Shake does. In what universe is a shot from that range easier when you are moving forward at full speed and you’re not using your guide hand?

Apparently this shot is being taught at lower levels again? I thought we all decided like 20 years ago it was a terrible shot? Drives me crazy.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 643

Post#544 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:35 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I would even prefer he stop halfway through the drive and just take a normal mid range jump shot like Shake does. In what universe is a shot from that range easier when you are moving forward at full speed and you’re not using your guide hand?

Apparently this shot is being taught at lower levels again? I thought we all decided like 20 years ago it was a terrible shot? Drives me crazy.

it's not a terrible shot. it's a great thing to have in your toolbox and he has fantastic touch with it so it will be an efficient shot going forward. especially with his herky jerky movement it will allow him to get tough shots up over long bigs in crunchtime situations when needed. he just has to cut out the longer ones like you said and work on expanding other more uncomfortable parts of his game like pulling up with a normal midrange jumpshot.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#545 » by Negrodamus » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I do think Maxey will be able to make a jump next year. I believe he needs a full offseason working on his jumper and getting a better understanding of the defense.

I think my only reservation moving forward of his is his lack of vertical explosion which isn't mitigated by absurd length for his height (like Donovan Mitchell). Other than that, his frame, speed, and form on his shot are all there to make a pretty substantial jump imo.

I think his variety of tricky finishes and floaters will mitigate some of his lack of explosion. However, that will cap his scoring potential due to lack of FTs. Theres a chance he learns to draw contact just off of his quickness ala Lou Will but that's far less common than seeking contact at the rim.

I think his money maker will be being more diverse with his jumpshots, ie creating space to shoot off the dribble. He has been nailing his threes in the limited time he's seeing recently which is encouraging and definitely makes me believe he can take his shot variety to another level this offseason.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#546 » by Sixersftw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:27 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

I think his money maker will be being more diverse with his jumpshots, ie creating space to shoot off the dribble. He has been nailing his threes in the limited time he's seeing recently which is encouraging and definitely makes me believe he can take his shot variety to another level this offseason.

wholeheartedly agree. I remember reading in so a lot of places that he was a great shooter at every level before college and you can tell by some of the shots he took at Lexington. Bad shooters don't typically pull from the spots that he did at UK. I think he rediscovers his form completely in the coming offseason. That's right, a Sixers player will remember how to shoot.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#547 » by Sixerscan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I would even prefer he stop halfway through the drive and just take a normal mid range jump shot like Shake does. In what universe is a shot from that range easier when you are moving forward at full speed and you’re not using your guide hand?

it's not a terrible shot. it's a great thing to have in your toolbox and he has fantastic touch with it so it will be an efficient shot going forward. especially with his herky jerky movement it will allow him to get tough shots up over long bigs in crunchtime situations when needed. he just has to cut out the longer ones like you said and work on expanding other more uncomfortable parts of his game like pulling up with a normal midrange jumpshot.

Well it has be a worse shot than all of the other options I listed, right? I understand sometimes you drive and Gobert or someone meets you, or there’s not enough time on the shot clock to get to the rim, but a lot of times with him I feel like the play starts with him passing up an open jump shot or ends with him leaving on the table an opportunity to get to the rim and he’s creating situations where he has to take it that aren’t really needed.

It just seems like sometimes he gets overwhelmed and goes back to what is comfortable for him, which is understandable at this stage of his development, but is definitely a habit he should be trying to break.

Are we sure he has great touch on it? It’s all relative, I don’t know the exact numbers but I have a feeling he’s close to 40% on them which isn’t a great 2 point shot. He actually has great numbers at the rim for his age and size which indicates to me he’s too selective in when he drives.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#548 » by Murray_17 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The floaters are an anchor on his game. He needs to limit those and either take the open standard jump shot or attack the rim more.

Yeah, this is the main reason why i keep saying his current skills overlap with what Shake does but Shake has more tools at his disposal, so i don't see space for him on the line up until he get some kind of shot.

This is why i heavily dislike when doc put them together on the floor.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#549 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Spoiler:
Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
HardenToSixers wrote:It’s crazy because as Sixers fans we’ve barely been able to witness the organic growth drafted players see recently. Embiid was a superstar day one even though he’s obviously more refined in some ways. Simmons more or less same. Nobody that follows the path of being drafted by us just okay and triples their level of play.

You dont see any organic growth because the guys we draft thinks they are bigger than who they really are.

Okafor, Noel, Ben and etc.

The guys who really developed are the one’s who were the underdogs, Jerami, Roco, Woods, TJ and even Embiid.

Best example of all time? Michael Jordan.

Development STARTS with the player.

Look at how Embiid made a jump this offseason. Last offseason he had a drama queen episode that pretty much just sleep walk the season. Then after the bubble when we gave in into his demands, he was a completely different player.

What demands did the organization give into when it comes to Embiid? Not hiring Lue? I'm looking forward to seeing what organic growth Shake and Paul can do going forward. People popo on Shake but he still has room to grow.

By the time Jordan was drafted I don't think anyone thought of him as an underdog. True no one knew how good he could be but underdog. No !!

You are right development starts with the player you have to want to really get better and put in the time and find the right resources that will help you get better. It's not one size fits all.

I might be cherry picking here. But one of the things that I think helped Jerami and TJ improve, obviously being part of the process and getting playing time. But their support system. Jerami has relatives that have made it to the NBA and thrived. He knows and has resources that he could lean on to tell him what to do to get better. TJ's father was/is a basketball coach that instilled in him the attitude of hard work. Both of these things go a long way to getting better.

Embiid wasnt happy with the team getting rid of JJ and Jimmy, both guys worked better and are closer than Ben. Not throwing a shade on Ben, just saying how big those two were.

Embiid grew up in Cameroon. You know all his story. He almost quitted basketball one point when he was in HS when people were laughing at how comical he was on the court. But we all know how obsess he is with the game, this turned him into a savant and also probably the hardest worker on the team during the offseason.

Regarding Mj. MJ’s career was always been about using revenge as fuel to the fire. Best example of this was when he invited a guy who was selected instead of him, to his hall of fame ceremony. His speech was not that warm received because he pretty much says how him being cut on the team because of him was the fuel that ignited the fire for his development.

TJ, Jerami and Woods were not drafted in the lottery, and im pretty sure at some point of their lives they did consider to be out of the league. Another good example was Jimmy Butler who at one point considered not proceeding with his basketball career during his college career.

Those kind of experience should scare them straight.

Look at Jah. I know he still sucks. But he never changed his physique and game until he turned into a journey man.

Based on my experience, People who have faced monsters in the abyss eventually turns into monsters themselves.

P.S. i knew a couple of guys from cameron who shared their experience. The life there was so crazy hard. Some guys were classified into athletes (based on body type and etc), into different sports and different classes.

My friends, a couple of them, were classified at the lower rank. So played as import on a local league. Once their career was up (they can only play for a certain number of years as imports), they are now working as bodyguards or security guys
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#550 » by rzzzzz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:11 pm

I’m glad we kept him long enough to spend time with Drew Hanlen, etc., for both shooting and positioning. There’s a reason why his name kept popping up in all the trades we didn’t make.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#551 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm

rzzzzz wrote:I’m glad we kept him long enough to spend time with Drew Hanlen, etc., for both shooting and positioning. There’s a reason why his name kept popping up in all the trades we didn’t make.

I've never been that excited about Maxey, but he does have a pretty clear path to being a good player--become decent at 3pt shooting, great at midrange shooting, and good at crafty finishes from like 5-7 feet out (runners, floaters etc), and boom he's a nice microwave scorer. Because of the speed he plays at he should be able to get those shots off in the contemporary NBA, and he seems to have the basic ability to do all 3 things (or at least there's no reason he can't do all 3). Right now he just doesn't have enough experience to know what's a good take in the NBA and what's not--like maybe not 16 foot floaters, or bull-charge straight-line drives when Rudy Gobert is protecting the rim--and that could be cleaned up a lot in the next 6-8 months. Developing your shooting and finishing that much is still a pretty hard feat to pull off so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon, but development's unpredictable and Maxey's a good attitude/hard work kid if there ever was one.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#552 » by sodmoraes » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm

I belive Maxey can be a good pg for us, he's shooting better in the last few games. We gotta be patient with him. You can see in his highlights how fast and good he can be. I think he is really good breaking down a defense with his dribble and his floater is really good. You can see that his form shooting is good, so i can see him being a 35% 3 pt shooter with volume in 2 years, and having a good mid range jumper.

He gotta learn to finish better around the rim( he will get there, he's fast and crafty as a slasher ) and be a good defender.

We gotta be patient with him, he's just a rookie playing in a contender, so he will not have a lot of time to play. If he was in a lotery bound team he would be playing 30 minutes per game and would be averaging 12-15 ppg.

Ben will never be a real pg. We should keep Maxey, he can be a good combo guard who scores 20 ppg with 6 apg after some years in the league.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#553 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:35 am

Rookie contract creators are worth their weight in gold.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#554 » by Kolkmania » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:58 am

Step-by-step development. I think he's a better shooter than his current numbers suggest, however he doesn't have the mindset of punishing the defense of leaving him open. When the 3PAr will rise, lanes will open and allows him to work on his FTr and finishing at the rim.

Typical development curves of young guards suggest that it will take roughly 4/5 years for a guard to become fairly efficient. I don't expect him to play a major part for us in the nearby future (next season for example).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#555 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:30 am

His offense, PnR skillset level, shooting profile and FTr profile are more like Jeff Teague. And I do see the same trajectory.

He’s not explosive like Mitchell or Westbrook, so dont expect him to have really good FTr.

He does not possess that elite shooting touch of a trae young or curry.

He does not possess And1 dribbling starter package like Kyrie.

He’s somewhere in middle of the spectrum of those skillset. So I dont see anything special with him.

I like the kid. He’s a hard worker but hard work can only get you only so far. You need a combination of God given talent and hard work to be special.

I dont mind having him when we were trying to be mediocre with Iguodala back then where we were patient on Jrue.

I dont mind if we have James Harden where he can play off the bench (which i believe his original projected role).

But last time I check, we need to fill a big gap as our alpha perimeter scorer, in order for us to win the championship. And you’d be crazy to prefer trading Ben over him. Well, that could change game to game.

So I dont mind keeping him. But i’d be really open to use him as part of our package for a bigger player (im not saying id be actively finding a trade for him). And his value as an asset declines once he gets near the end of his rookie contract.

He’s not going to be a deal breaker for me in a deal for a guy like Beal.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#556 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:53 am

Kolkmania wrote:Step-by-step development. I think he's a better shooter than his current numbers suggest, however he doesn't have the mindset of punishing the defense of leaving him open. When the 3PAr will rise, lanes will open and allows him to work on his FTr and finishing at the rim.

Typical development curves of young guards suggest that it will take roughly 4/5 years for a guard to become fairly efficient. I don't expect him to play a major part for us in the nearby future (next season for example).
Right. So, for example if a team was willing to trade a veteran creator who can play a major role next to Embiid during his prime years, would you give up Maxey to get that?

Or do you consider Maxey next to untouchable?

I could see him continuing to develop defensively as well, and if he keeps putting in the work we've already seen on his jumper and body, he could easily turn into an All Star in this league. He's got a clutch mentality already. He hustles.

At 23-24 years old he could put the whole package together and be a legit starting 2 way PG.

Which obviously that type of player alone can win you games and extend the Sixers chances at being a "dynasty". But if you never win a ring during Joel's time here, then what was it all for?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#557 » by blargh » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:46 pm

76ciology wrote:His offense, PnR skillset level, shooting profile and FTr profile are more like Jeff Teague. And I do see the same trajectory.

I think Teague is a good, probable projection, but there is some variance within that skillset. Maybe on the low end a Jordan Clarkson, and on the high end a Tony Parker. With Maxey’s work ethic, I think he trends toward the high end.

I agree though that he’s not untouchable.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#558 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:48 pm

blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:His offense, PnR skillset level, shooting profile and FTr profile are more like Jeff Teague. And I do see the same trajectory.

I think Teague is a good, probable projection, but there is some variance within that skillset. Maybe on the low end a Jordan Clarkson, and on the high end a Tony Parker. With Maxey’s work ethic, I think he trends toward the high end.

I agree though that he’s not untouchable.

Jeff Teague is a good comp

Definelty don’t see Tony Parker, he had a greatest of all time finishing skills around the rim for his size it was absurd.

Funny thing is Maxey moves just like Parker the huge difference is Parker came in into the NBA with a whole lot of flare which had to be tempted. Natural talent there’s a fair sized gap.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#559 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:55 pm

Like with Embiid watching Hakeem

I’d just say to Maxey watch Tony Parker for hours on end. The way they move is very similar imo
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#560 » by Kolkmania » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:01 am

51X3RF4N wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:Step-by-step development. I think he's a better shooter than his current numbers suggest, however he doesn't have the mindset of punishing the defense of leaving him open. When the 3PAr will rise, lanes will open and allows him to work on his FTr and finishing at the rim.

Right. So, for example if a team was willing to trade a veteran creator who can play a major role next to Embiid during his prime years, would you give up Maxey to get that?

Or do you consider Maxey next to untouchable?

I could see him continuing to develop defensively as well, and if he keeps putting in the work we've already seen on his jumper and body, he could easily turn into an All Star in this league. He's got a clutch mentality already. He hustles.

At 23-24 years old he could put the whole package together and be a legit starting 2 way PG.

Which obviously that type of player alone can win you games and extend the Sixers chances at being a "dynasty". But if you never win a ring during Joel's time here, then what was it all for?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Certainly not untouchable. However, you have to careful with trading away all assets with future upside, because as you said, he can be a starter in the future. With our current cap and roster situation there are not many possibilities to add quality players to the rotation. So developing them is probably our best bet.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers