Draft Pick 8,375,100 (#1 cap hold)

Total $100,152,640

Salary Cap $112,000,000

Mason Plumlee / Isaiah Stewart / Jahlil Okafor
Jerami Grant / Sekou Doumbouya
Saddiq Bey / Josh Jackson / Deividas Sirvydis
Hamidou Diallo
Killian Hayes / Saben Lee

We should have almost 12 million in cap space (probably more, that's assuming we win the lotto and get the #1 pick). Can someone see a FA worth that money for us?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Re: 2021 Offseason 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Honestly I can't, I think we have what we need for now especially after the draft. Get one more good pick then hit 2022 FA with force
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#3 » by ducler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:32 pm

Jarrett Allen is the only FA I see who is in our timeline and can also be paid that kind of money.
I can rather see us taking on salary for picks.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#4 » by Invictus88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:41 pm

I'd much rather absorb a bad contract with that money in exchange for more picks; although maybe Frank Jackson plays his way into a small contract too?
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#5 » by foolinc » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah, unless we are trading Grant or Plumlee in the off-season I can't see that $15 million going to anything more than a combination of Diallo, Lee, our upcoming rookies, and a bad contract (to get more picks).
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:59 pm

This off-season boils down to a couple things

1) where will the draft lottery Gods place our pick?

2) after we extend Diallo and Lee, how much cap space will we have left? I’m thinking not a ton...

Hopefully we stay in the top-4 in the draft. Who we take in the draft will directly steer who we go after with our cap space.

For instance, if we get Cade or Green in the draft, we’ll look to add a big guy or two via free agency. Whereas, if we draft Mobely, we might look to add a wing shooter.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#7 » by chrbal » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:45 pm

So with 11 guys (figuring Diallo and Lee get signed) already on the roster and you figure 2-3 rookies. So 13-14. I really think we should just look at two bargain veterans, a point guard and a wing. If a decent priced veteran gets dealt with assets that would be better. Last spot to another two way player and make 2022 the offseason you go at free agents more seriously because we should have a better understanding of the teams setup, a lot of money to work with, and something like 1/2 the roster on rookie deals.

Draft assuming we keep every pick;

Pistons 1st- best available non center.
Raptors 2nd- best available, but not a guy who can only play pg.
Hornets 2nd- guy for a two way contract or euro stash
Lakers 2nd- euro stash
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#8 » by Pharaoh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 pm

What Bird rights (if any) do we hold on Lee or do we have to use cap space (or exceptions) to sign him to a upgraded deal?

Is the MLE higher than our likely cap space? Cause if it is don't we get to use the MLE instead?

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#9 » by vege » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:09 pm

We all agree that there are no FA we should sign with that cap space.

So, let's go for the next possibility.

The next best thing we can do with that cap space is a trade.

I mean, we can trade for a guy on a bigger contract. For example, we want to trade for Wiggins (it's just an example, I don't want him anywhere near our team) we don't need to match salaries, we can send a small amout of salary and give GSW LT relief while getting a player we want without give up assets or a lot of assets.

Can someone see a team willing to donate us youngish talent to save money/salary cap?

Would for example Brooklyn sign and trade Dinwiddie to us for let's say Okafor and a 2nd?
vege
RealGM

Post#10 » by vege » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:11 pm

Invictus88 wrote:I'd much rather absorb a bad contract with that money in exchange for more picks; although maybe Frank Jackson plays his way into a small contract too?

I like Frank Jackson and I think we should bring him back. I think it would be stupid to take on bad money for a pick. We'll have a lot of capspace in 2022, a bad contract worth a pick would eat in that 2022 cap space for sure. So I think that optionn should be out of question, but you never know, Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word).
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#11 » by FloridaMan78 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:17 pm

This free agent class is weak. Stay on course for the following year free agency, it has big names on top and is really deep. Let the young guys develop. 2022 free agency is going to be crazy.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#12 » by chrbal » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 pm

vege wrote:We all agree that there are no FA we should sign with that cap space.

Can someone see a team willing to donate us youngish talent to save money/salary cap?

Would for example Brooklyn sign and trade Dinwiddie to us for let's say Okafor and a 2nd?

I realize that you hate dead money, but for example if Houston wants to dump Augustine around $7 million next season ($333,333 guaranteed in 22-23) or the Pelicans want to dump Bledsoe’s $16-17 million ($3,900,000 guaranteed) and they are willing to add worthwhile assets, I would consider that. You would only be trading them McGruder or Joseph. I think there’s some period during the playoffs where non playoff teams can make trades.

As far as free agents this offseason, I just don’t see inhibiting any of the younger players on the roster. Plumlee and Grant fill actual needs and you really only need veteran glue guys otherwise. But not anyone you really need to build with.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#13 » by Invictus88 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:11 am

vege wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:I'd much rather absorb a bad contract with that money in exchange for more picks; although maybe Frank Jackson plays his way into a small contract too?

I like Frank Jackson and I think we should bring him back. I think it would be stupid to take on bad money for a pick. We'll have a lot of capspace in 2022, a bad contract worth a pick would eat in that 2022 cap space for sure. So I think that optionn should be out of question, but you never know, Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

What are we looking to accomplish win-wise in 2022 though? We're still in the talent-gathering phase of this rebuild. A free agent is likely going to just take minutes that should be going to our young guys anyway. That is the definition of stupidity.

If we need to use cap space to do that then I'm all for it; provided the contract we take on isn't too onerous and the pick is decent.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#14 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:41 am

vege wrote:So, this is our cap situation

Jerami Grant 20,002,500
Mason Plumlee 8,137,500
Killian Hayes 5,572,680
Josh Jackson 5,005,350
Sekou Doumbouya 3,613,680
Isaiah Stewart 3,277,080
Saddiq Bey 2,824,320

Jahlil Okafor 2,130,023
Deividas Sirvydis 1,517,981

Dead $ 36,098,993

Hamidou Diallo 2,122,822 (cap hold)
Saben Lee 1,474,611 (cap hold)

Draft Pick 8,375,100 (#1 cap hold)

Total $100,152,640

Salary Cap $112,000,000

Mason Plumlee / Isaiah Stewart / Jahlil Okafor
Jerami Grant / Sekou Doumbouya
Saddiq Bey / Josh Jackson / Deividas Sirvydis
Hamidou Diallo
Killian Hayes / Saben Lee

We should have almost 12 million in cap space (probably more, that's assuming we win the lotto and get the #1 pick). Can someone see a FA worth that money for us?

Joseph owed 2.5 million if waived.

Easily, the best thing that could be done with that cap space would be to trade McGruder and Joseph for trash players and future picks. In a perfect world, they could fetch similar contracts that can be traded in 2022.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#15 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:03 am

chrbal wrote:
I realize that you hate dead money, but for example if Houston wants to dump Augustine around $7 million next season ($333,333 guaranteed in 22-23) or the Pelicans want to dump Bledsoe’s $16-17 million ($3,900,000 guaranteed) and they are willing to add worthwhile assets, I would consider that. You would only be trading them McGruder or Joseph. I think there’s some period during the playoffs where non playoff teams can make trades.

Bingo. The Pels might be dumb enough to do that trade. Regardless, there will be teams looking to free up space.
vege
RealGM

Post#16 » by vege » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:16 am

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:We all agree that there are no FA we should sign with that cap space.

As far as free agents this offseason, I just don’t see inhibiting any of the younger players on the roster. Plumlee and Grant fill actual needs and you really only need veteran glue guys otherwise. But not anyone you really need to build with.

Bledsoe is a terrible fit in NO and he's hurting their young players development, especially NAW and Lonzo, it would be stupid to make the same mistake here imo, plus he is owed a lot of money and he is dead money like you said. That move would be terrible imo.

We can trade CoJo and McGruder once we're eliminated, but only to team that are already eliminated as well, you're correct about that, but once the season is officially over, McGruder and CoJo salaries are 100% useless, since we will have raw cap space.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#17 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:07 pm

vege wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Bledsoe is a terrible fit in NO and he's hurting their young players development, especially NAW and Lonzo, it would be stupid to make the same mistake here imo, plus he is owed a lot of money and he is dead money like you said. That move would be terrible imo.

We can trade CoJo and McGruder once we're eliminated, but only to team that are already eliminated as well, you're correct about that, but once the season is officially over, McGruder and CoJo salaries are 100% useless, since we will have raw cap space.

Hence the for example. I really only could only think of two guys that might get dumped on already most likely non playoff teams. Of these two, DJ is obviously the better fit especially with Eric being owed $18.1 million (damn) next season. But if someone like Eric comes with substantial assets you would have to consider.

Obviously if they were to do this you would prefer DJ and maybe a pick with him only costing ~$7 million and a wing of similar cost and asset.
ByeByeDre
Rookie

Post#18 » by ByeByeDre » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:13 pm

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Hence the for example. I really only could only think of two guys that might get dumped on already most likely non playoff teams. Of these two, DJ is obviously the better fit especially with Eric being owed $18.1 million (damn) next season. But if someone like Eric comes with substantial assets you would have to consider.

Obviously if they were to do this you would prefer DJ and maybe a pick with him only costing ~$7 million and a wing of similar cost and asset.

If it happened to be Bledsoe, and the attached assets were there, you do it and start the buyout process immediately. But there should be other eight figure contracts too that will match up nicely with Joseph and McGruder’s contracts......

Also, don’t be surprised if Joseph and McGruder get “extended” for a few weeks in light of the unusual calendar.... the dates of their expirations were made to line up with normal NBA dates, so re-syncing isn’t out of the question
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#19 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:13 pm

foolinc wrote:Yeah, unless we are trading Grant or Plumlee in the off-season I can't see that $15 million going to anything more than a combination of Diallo, Lee, our upcoming rookies, and a bad contract (to get more picks).

Which is where it should go.

chrbal
RealGM

Post#20 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:15 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:
If it happened to be Bledsoe, and the attached assets were there, you do it and start the buyout process immediately. But there should be other eight figure contracts too that will match up nicely with Joseph and McGruder’s contracts......

Also, don’t be surprised if Joseph and McGruder get “extended” for a few weeks in light of the unusual calendar.... the dates of their expirations were made to line up with normal NBA dates, so re-syncing isn’t out of the question

That’s pretty much what I was thinking for Bledsoe. You do CoJo for Bledsoe and enough picks coming back. They cut Joseph and essentially shave $15 million (Bledsoe guarantee minus Joseph guarantee) and we either outright waive Bledsoe (stretch/waiving him is around $4 million a season for 5 seasons and not a good idea) or try to get him to accept a smaller role and try to fix him enough to flip him like we did with Wright.

I personally don’t think Bledsoe fits the team (seems like he could be a little bit of a problem) but if they are willing to cough up significant assets, I think it would need to be considered.

Return to Detroit Pistons