Image ImageImage Image

PG:Booker Beats Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Re: PG:Booker Beats Bulls 

Post#101 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:20 pm

VolumePoster wrote:I really can’t explain Lauri. The intensity level waxes and wanes so much. He can really assert himself for periods but then just vanishes. He was so active in the first quarter! Hard cuts to the hoop. Aggressive rebounding. Then he pulls the Kaiser Sose.

This team really needs to up its intensity level on defense. It needs a borderline intimidator along the lines of Artest, Patterson, Draymond. It feels like those players are getting rarer but man...we need them. I’d even settle for a Nocioni.
It's truly mystifying. And maddening.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#102 » by Chi town » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:21 pm

That game was on Billy.

- You have to try something different on Booker... Blitz him, deny him the ball, try other defenders on him. Ridiculous he lets a rookie get roasted and makes no changes. PaW was much better in 2nd half but not enough.

- We get hosed on so many calls and he never gets Td up or challenges. It’s criminal. Vuc gets Td up and Billy does nothing.

If Billy makes a couple coverage switch ups it disrupts rhythm and can shift momentum. Instead he does nothing.

We are rarely the aggressor. We have to attack a player that has it going. Get them in foul trouble. Make them work. PNR switch to out Booker in the post and bully him.

PaW is improving and is more consistent w his aggression.

We are slowly improving. We will go on a run.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#103 » by Stratmaster » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:25 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I think we can dispense with blaming the defensive issues on one player or one position. Coby didn't play. Lavine didn't play. WCJ is gone, and until the defensive reserves came on the court the Suns were scoring at will and Booker was getting to any spot on the court he wanted to.

67 points given up in the first half, and 79 by the 8 minute mark in q3, was the difference in the game.

That's what I was thinking as I was watching. Yeah Booker was crazy hot, maybe Phoenix scores 111 with him shooting normally instead of 121 and maybe we win the game. But 111 is still a pretty high amount to give up, particularly when we were outrebounding them and not conceding easy points through turnovers. If we want to start to be outright good, instead of fighting to be a #10 seed, we need to start having some games where we stuff the opposition. That so rarely happens.
Yep. And Booker was getting little bunny jumpers.

/s. With all those "low efficiency" mid range bunnies from Booker and Paul it makes me wonder how they win any games. /s

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,090

Post#104 » by MrSparkle » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:33 pm

/
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,767

Post#105 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:35 pm

So what gets done first: Bulls finding a playmaking PG or the Bears finding a long-term answer at QB?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,090

Post#106 » by MrSparkle » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:45 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:So what gets done first: Bulls finding a playmaking PG or the Bears finding a long-term answer at QB?

Bulls PG
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,637

Post#107 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:46 pm

Chi town wrote:That game was on Billy.

- You have to try something different on Booker... Blitz him, deny him the ball, try other defenders on him. Ridiculous he lets a rookie get roasted and makes no changes. PaW was much better in 2nd half but not enough.

That's Billy. Remember the interview in the Philly game with a somewhat mystified Doc Rivers, as Embiid was in process of putting up 50. "They're not doubling Joel, so we keep giving him the ball. [Shrug]" Donovan lives and dies on single coverage. Personally, I prefer Boylen's defensive schemes. But Jimbo was so bad on offense that he more than gave up whatever value he brought to the defense.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,637

Post#108 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:48 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:So what gets done first: Bulls finding a playmaking PG or the Bears finding a long-term answer at QB?

Yep. The Bulls have had a playmaking PG in their history. The Bears having a long-term QB, not so much. Well OK, Sid Luckman. But that was a few years back.
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#109 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:47 pm

The Bears date QBs. They marry linebackers.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#110 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:50 pm

I'm now convinced we don't actually want a playmaking PG to run the offense.

We can't get away with a bad defender at the 1 next to Lavine.
edededtut
Senior
And1: 699

Post#111 » by edededtut » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:03 pm

The best part of the game was chris paul jumping into deandre ayton and the refs calling a foul on satoransky..

.. just a friendly reminder about how the nba is and always will ultimately be rigged for the star players.

Edit: also, new(?) technical foul rule for challenging three point shots is insane. Basically a ref can call a tech every time the defender jumps even just a bit forward.
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager

Post#112 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:17 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I'm now convinced we don't actually want a playmaking PG to run the offense.

This topic right here. Why does this team need a traditional pass-first playmaking point guard? It's worth asking because it's all about trade-offs when you look at point guards around the league. You make the grocery list of qualities you'd like your point guard to have

Good playmaker
Good spot up shooter
Good defender
Creation off dribble
etc etc

Whatever you want the Bulls point guard to be. And each quality you add in represents a significantly morepoi expensive player than the last until you toss in something like "playoff experience" and now your entire market's down to Chris Paul.

Point being I don't think you find point guards that are significantly better than Sato and Coby without breaking the bank for a player at least a contract older than Lonzo Ball.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#113 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:20 pm

Fastbrk4brkfast wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I'm now convinced we don't actually want a playmaking PG to run the offense.

This topic right here. Why does this team need a traditional pass-first playmaking point guard? It's worth asking because it's all about trade-offs when you look at point guards around the league. You make the grocery list of qualities you'd like your point guard to have

Good playmaker
Good spot up shooter
Good defender
Creation off dribble
etc etc

Whatever you want the Bulls point guard to be. And each quality you add in represents a significantly morepoi expensive player than the last until you toss in something like "playoff experience" and now your entire market's down to Chris Paul.

Point being I don't think you find point guards that are significantly better than Sato and Coby without breaking the bank for a player at least a contract older than Lonzo Ball.

I do think we need playmaking. But let's get it at the Forward spot.

And that means you can instead target a 3/D guard which are very attainable.
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager

Post#114 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:35 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Fastbrk4brkfast wrote:

Good playmaker
Good spot up shooter
Good defender
Creation off dribble
etc etc

Are they worth attaining? I just don't see improvement out there outside a few names like Dinwiddie and Rose or maybe if somebody falls out in Sacto. There's a chance this point guard search could drag on a couple seasons.

In which case it's about what to do with Sato and Coby. It'd be a good idea to push both of their development paths toward defense. Coby needs to improve defensively in order to keep his offense on the court. And if Sato improves defensively it could become his identity and calling card.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#115 » by MGB8 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:39 pm

Imagine if the Bulls had an SGA on the team next to Zach. Or even a Mikal Bridges to throw at a Booker....
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#116 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:42 pm

Fastbrk4brkfast wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Fastbrk4brkfast wrote:

Good playmaker
Good spot up shooter
Good defender
Creation off dribble
etc etc

Are they worth attaining? I just don't see improvement out there outside a few names like Dinwiddie and Rose or maybe if somebody falls out in Sacto. There's a chance this point guard search could drag on a couple seasons.

In which case it's about what to do with Sato and Coby. It'd be a good idea to push both of their development paths toward defense. Coby needs to improve defensively in order to keep his offense on the court. And if Sato improves defensively it could become his identity and calling card.

I would say they are. We desperately need a plus perimeter defender.

I like Sato, but he can't play the 1. He's a complementary 2/3. Sato is fine off the bench.

Coby White is basically worthless to us. Defensively liability.

Get an actually 3/D PG and plug them in at the 1 next to Lavine. The hope is the Patrick Williams graduates to a bigger role, and then this 3/D PG can fill that 5th option offensive role as predominately a spot-up shooter.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#117 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:43 pm

MGB8 wrote:Imagine if the Bulls had an SGA on the team next to Zach. Or even a Mikal Bridges to throw at a Booker....

Frank Ntilikina

He checks the defense box hard, and I see no reason he can't become a good spot-up shooter.

Could come dirt cheap as well.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#118 » by MGB8 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:49 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
MGB8 wrote:Imagine if the Bulls had an SGA on the team next to Zach. Or even a Mikal Bridges to throw at a Booker....

Frank Ntilikina

He checks the defense box hard, and I see no reason he can't become a good spot-up shooter.

Could come dirt cheap as well.

I really like Frank as a buy low candidate. He was developing a bit before getting hurt, but hasn’t gotten past Payton, while Quickly is the kind of guard that for whatever reason succeeds under Thibs (Nate, Brooks, etc.).
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#119 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:04 pm

SGA is statistically elite.
He is a dream addition to the backcourt.

Apparently we got thad, aminu, williams to throw on a guy like booker aint too bad
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#120 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:13 pm

at this point cherry picking skillset at pointguard is not worth it.
The main goal should be raising the talent threshold of somebody who can handle the responsibilities of the position.

At this point zach is more sf than point guard. A smooth operator not a speed demon.
You dont expect zach to expel most of energy beating traps and getting over the timeline.

Quickley averages 30+ points per 100 possessions. He isnt a playmaker but helps their rotation. He doesnt start cuz of thibs and a wiry frame , i agree with thibs.

Return to Chicago Bulls