ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#1 » by Afam » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:36 pm

I have been a member of this forum since 2011, and I have never made a fire thread but this time it is due. It is time for the Celtics to let Brad Stevens go. I am not one to judge, condemn, cancel another human being, call for them to lose their job. However, it is clear the players has tuned out Brad. It is time for him to go.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#2 » by Statlanta » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:57 pm

The team has regressed twice in the Jay's prime and now that Kyrie Irving is no longer the scapegoat this is what you have?

How about dealing with the reality that players and teams can regress?
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Afam
RealGM

Post#3 » by Afam » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:06 pm

That to. The players specifically the J’s have regressed but you can’t fire the players and Danny wouldn’t fire himself. A shakeup is needed and it is going to start with Brad.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#4 » by Feed Your Head » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:07 pm

Statlanta wrote:The team has regressed twice in the Jay's prime and now that Kyrie Irving is no longer the scapegoat this is what you have?

How about dealing with the reality that players and teams can regress?

23/24 is a few years away from most players prime, so pretty amazing that this is somehow the second time the team has regressed in their prime.

Bring better.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#5 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:14 pm

Afam wrote:I am not one to judge, condemn, cancel another human being, call for them to lose their job.

Also Afam wrote:Fire Brad Stevens.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#6 » by Homerclease » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:31 pm

Brad is a good coach but his act has gotten stale here and the players have tuned him out. It’s time for a change
Afam
RealGM

Post#7 » by Afam » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:42 pm

Names if Brad goes.

Chauncey
KG
Sam Cassell

A broken clock can be right once or twice. I like the names felger and Mazz are bringing up. James Posey should be included on the list of potential candidates. I would have included lue but he got hired by the clippers. Anyone good but Stevens.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#8 » by robdog_5 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:15 pm

I think Brad is one of the best coaches in the world. I do also think it maybe time to bring a new voice in if things don't improve
Afam
RealGM

Post#9 » by Afam » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:02 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
Afam wrote:I am not one to judge, condemn, cancel another human being, call for them to lose their job.

Also Afam wrote:Fire Brad Stevens.

Yes I said it. I made an exception. You didn’t point anything I didn’t already know. I knew it would come off as being hypocritical but i made an exception. I am Just saying.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#10 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:12 pm

I think coaching has to change. This does not imply that the head coach should be fired, and in fact I think he shouldn't.

What's lacking is mainly:
-- NBA experience relevant to advising players on nuances. On the bench and locker room combined, that is literally Evan Turner plus the experience of Brad's staff with the Celtics. (Even if the stories of a breach with TT are overwrought, he surely isn't teaching anybody anything the way, for example, Horford did.)
-- Productive commitment to offensive principles. I don't think this is guys just tuning him out, but rather failing at quick decisions to see any better alternative than hero ball. Brad needs to tweak his scheme somehow so that guys are more aggressive about attacking the rim and moving the ball.
-- Commitment to defensive effort. Anybody who plays without energy on defense should be given a seat, since the only possible excuse for them to lollygag on defense is that they need a breather.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#11 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:18 pm

Danny's take:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/4/1/22362083/danny-ainge-coach-as-a-motivator-is-overrated-brad-stevens-boston-celtics-kemba-walker-jayson-tatum

The man dubbed “Trader Danny” put the blame on the players for the lack of motivation, not head coach Brad Stevens, calling the notion that the head coach must be a motivator “way overrated.”

“I say it all the time when we’re drafting players: ‘How self-motivated is he?’” Ainge said. “You’re playing 100 games in an NBA season, and you’re practicing each day, and if you’re not self-motivated, you’re not going to succeed.”

Ainge continued speaking on Stevens’ role in the recent struggles, saying, “Brad has zero responsibility for shooting 5-for-34 from three last night, on most of them being open shots. He doesn’t have responsibility when players improvise and are playing with a lack of emotion after missed shots.”

The part I disagree with most strongly is what I highlighted. Whether through scheme or exercise of authority, that's not a matter of the coach controlling his players' emotions and character, which Danny is understandably skeptical about. Rather, it's a question of the coach controlling their rational decision-making, and a leader needs to be able to do that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#12 » by Tyakack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:21 pm

I know no team KG ever coaches would be soft. He wouldn't allow it.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#13 » by SLCceltic » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:42 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I think coaching has to change. This does not imply that the head coach should be fired, and in fact I think he shouldn't.

What's lacking is mainly:
-- NBA experience relevant to advising players on nuances. On the bench and locker room combined, that is literally Evan Turner plus the experience of Brad's staff with the Celtics. (Even if the stories of a breach with TT are overwrought, he surely isn't teaching anybody anything the way, for example, Horford did.)
-- Productive commitment to offensive principles. I don't think this is guys just tuning him out, but rather failing at quick decisions to see any better alternative than hero ball. Brad needs to tweak his scheme somehow so that guys are more aggressive about attacking the rim and moving the ball.
-- Commitment to defensive effort. Anybody who plays without energy on defense should be given a seat, since the only possible excuse for them to lollygag on defense is that they need a breather.

people wonder what is wrong with the Celtics ...these 3 things are why, exactly !

productive committment to offensive principles is #1 imo
KEEP THE BALL MOVING !! DRAW DEFENDERS AND KICK !!!! then keep kicking until we get a great look or lane to the hoop ... OR get the alley oop

we have the talent to win despite inexperience but no team is winning with this iso puke Offense ! we are SO easy to defend !! we do not cause defenses to scramble and breakdown...
ROYALGREEN
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#14 » by return2glory » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:44 pm

I’ve been a member of this forum since 2005 and I’ve never asked for a coach to remain as coach. But it’s due.

I say Brad Stevens should stay on as coach of the Boston Celtics.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#15 » by SLCceltic » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:02 am

I still believe that we will start clicking and have a nice reg season run into the POs
I still believe in Brad but have waned significantly at times this season
wax me back baby ! I need you Brad
and my Cs !!

ToO much talent to be playing this way
ROYALGREEN
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#16 » by robdog_5 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:01 am

return2glory wrote:I’ve been a member of this forum since 2005 and I’ve never asked for a coach to remain as coach. But it’s due.

I say Brad Stevens should stay on as coach of the Boston Celtics.

I think we need to let the season play out an evaluate. I've defended Brad and I still think he's a great coach. But we have to see what's really going on here.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#17 » by jfs1000d » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:08 am

Why? Because the team doesn’t play hard? I’d rather get rid of players. He’s a good coach and he knows what he is doing .

My only issue is he is not hard enough on the players. He expects them to give a professional effort. Sometimes they are lazy. He gonna have to flex his muscles soon.

My question is. Why the F don’t we play hard. Why the F don’t we share the ball.

It ain’t the coach fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#18 » by The Corey's » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:10 am

Unc gonna come crawling. He's good as gone.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#19 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:21 am

Well everyone should know what I think about Brad

if not read my sig
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#20 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:24 am

jfs1000d wrote:Why? Because the team doesn’t play hard? I’d rather get rid of players. He’s a good coach and he knows what he is doing .

My only issue is he is not hard enough on the players. He expects them to give a professional effort. Sometimes they are lazy. He gonna have to flex his muscles soon.

My question is. Why the F don’t we play hard. Why the F don’t we share the ball.

It ain’t the coach fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a one word response to above

Accountability
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics