ImageImage

Is Huerter the odd man out? (Update: Huerter traded to SAC)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Who would you rather the Hawks keep long term?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:14 am

De'Andre Hunter
67%
Kevin Huerter
33%

Total votes: 3

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,955

Re: Is Kevin Huerter the odd man out? 

Post#41 » by shakes0 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:13 pm

this guy pretty much sucks at everything except knocking down open 3s. He's the epitomy of a 3 and no D player.

He should never be asked to fill in at the point. I don't care what the other option is, the answer is not Huerter.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#42 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:34 pm

The first 4 games after the Hunter injury, and to start February he was playing really well, the last 4 games he's fallen way off.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 am

shakes0 wrote:this guy pretty much sucks at everything except knocking down open 3s. He's the epitomy of a 3 and no D player.

He should never be asked to fill in at the point. I don't care what the other option is, the answer is not Huerter.
Huerter will have a long NBA career as a role player as long as he becomes consistent. He certainly doesn't look like a priority for us.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#44 » by Spud2nique » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 am

No, LLOYD IS!!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:30 pm

Kevin got moved to the bench recently after being mentioned again in trade talks...

Where things start to get dicey when discussing the [luxury] tax is the 2022-2023 season. That’s when Trae Young’s (likely) max deal and whatever Kevin Huerter’s raise is will kick in. Danilo Gallinari has only $5 million guaranteed that season, so that will give them additional space if they do not fully guarantee his deal, but the Hawks would almost certainly be in the tax regardless if Collins remains long term.

How the cap is navigated and who might end up becoming cap casualties will be fascinating to watch over the next few seasons.
The Athletic
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#46 » by Spud2nique » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:08 pm

I think I liked Kev’s game better in his rookie year where he had better handles and made better passes. He’s still got that in his game but is indecisive and needs to be more assertive overall or he will continue to struggle. I hate to get rid of him though because I know he will probably play better for the team we trade him to just because he will have a bit more responsibility on the floor which will actually help his game out. Plus, his shot is still one of the prettiest.

Hope we keep this team intact but sometimes you gotta get rid of one to pay others, hoping that’s not the case because I love our core.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#47 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:10 am

Unless he can step up his game, his place on the team is 7,8 on the depth chart. I would like for this young team to be humble and sign reasonable extentions. First man up JC is showing that that is very unlikely to happen
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by shakes0 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Huerter f-ing sucks! The next time he hits a big shot at the end of a close game will be the first time. Last night wide open 3 to tie it with 2 minutes left? CLANK. He also forgot how to dribble since his rookie season.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#49 » by D21 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:03 am

shakes0 wrote:Huerter f-ing sucks! The next time he hits a big shot at the end of a close game will be the first time. Last night wide open 3 to tie it with 2 minutes left? CLANK. He also forgot how to dribble since his rookie season.

He was not bad in this game, but this shot sucked (with 2 min left, it was a 3 at 105-105, to take a 3pts lead, not tying the game).
I may be wrong, but it's like he's putting too much pressure on himself, he's always to full speeding instead of taking a bit more time and be more in rhythm.
Vincecarder
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#50 » by Vincecarder » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:53 pm

shakes0 wrote:Huerter f-ing sucks! The next time he hits a big shot at the end of a close game will be the first time. Last night wide open 3 to tie it with 2 minutes left? CLANK. He also forgot how to dribble since his rookie season.

Kev is 22 years old and already in his 3rd season with 140 NBA starts. He just got moved out of the starting rotation for the more mature Bogdanovic at 28 years old. Can Huerter hit a game-winning shot? Yes, he's done it before...

Honestly, shooters like Kevin Huerter are streaky and he hasn't found the best rhythm this year. He should be more aggressive and when his shot starts dropping as it always does with shooters like him, I'm sure you will jump back on the bandwagon.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by shakes0 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:19 pm

Vincecarder wrote:

Kev is 22 years old and already in his 3rd season with 140 NBA starts. He just got moved out of the starting rotation for the more mature Bogdanovic at 28 years old. Can Huerter hit a game-winning shot? Yes, he's done it before...

Honestly, shooters like Kevin Huerter are streaky and he hasn't found the best rhythm this year. He should be more aggressive and when his shot starts dropping as it always does with shooters like him, I'm sure you will jump back on the bandwagon.

Any good will Huerter got with that game winner last year in SAS he gave it all away last night when he literally tried to lose the game for the team at the end of regulation. 30 seconds left, up 4 and this bozo is dribbling the ball in traffic even though he forgot how to dribble after his rookie year. Of course he turns it over when teh other team is just trying to foul him.

Throw in his 0-4 day from the field and I'd say we've seen just about enough of the Ginger Joke.

When we get all our players back I expect nightly DNP-CD's from this guy.

we should dump him before the rest of the league realizes how bad he's gotten since his rookie year.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#52 » by D21 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:42 pm

I have to admit that this TO was really bad, and even if it's a W at the end, the 2 OTs may cost lots of energy for the NOP game.
I agree also that he's not having a good year compared to last season, but I'm not sure it's the main problem of the team.

They are most of the time dominated with him on the floor this season, but it's the same with Hill, Goodwin, Reddish,...
Let's reduce his playing time if needed, but it's the way he plays that is the main problem, he has to slow it down
Vincecarder
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#53 » by Vincecarder » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:31 pm

shakes0 wrote:Any good will Huerter got with that game winner last year in SAS he gave it all away last night when he literally tried to lose the game for the team at the end of regulation. 30 seconds left, up 4 and this bozo is dribbling the ball in traffic even though he forgot how to dribble after his rookie year. Of course he turns it over when teh other team is just trying to foul him.

Throw in his 0-4 day from the field and I'd say we've seen just about enough of the Ginger Joke.

When we get all our players back I expect nightly DNP-CD's from this guy.

we should dump him before the rest of the league realizes how bad he's gotten since his rookie year.

Nice bounce-back game for Huerter with 24 points. Glad your not the coach or Hawks management, you seriously must have something against red heads calling Huerter a "Ginger Joke", stop hating and get used to watching red velvet on the Hawks for a long time.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:19 pm

Spoiler:
shakes0 wrote:Any good will Huerter got with that game winner last year in SAS he gave it all away last night when he literally tried to lose the game for the team at the end of regulation.

Throw in his 0-4 day from the field and I'd say we've seen just about enough of the Ginger Joke. When we get all our players back I expect nightly DNP-CD's from this guy.

shakes0 wrote:When everyone is healthy here is the rotation I want to see in the playoffs.

1st unit: Capela, Collins, Hunter, Bogi, Trae
Splinters in their ass: Reddish, Huerter, Goodwin, Bruno F-ing Fernando

Shakes, I seriously think you might be sleeping on Huerter. He currently isn't starter material...yet. But he's clearly got an NBA skill set. I think he's being misused, but he's still a useful piece right now. And in 5 years, he projects to be one of the elite sharpshooters in the league and an above avg starter ala Joe Ingles, Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson.

Read on Twitter

In his two and a half seasons with the Hawks, Huerter has shifted regularly and fluidly between roles, developing his own overall versatility as much as he is helping to shape a young team working toward what its fixed identity could be. Between team injuries and illness, the disruption of losing Lloyd Pierce midseason and Nate McMillan taking over, and roster adjustments at the trade deadline, one of the few steady things has been his playing consistently. But it’s that kind of growth, tempered in real-time, that tends to be the most long lasting.

He’s a deductive defender who exploits his unassuming stealth (he’s leading the team with 60 steals this season) as much as his confidence, pulling down as many as 10 rebounds a game. As a guard who can go one through three fluidly, he helps the Hawks stay small without getting run over by a league rife with larger and stronger teams, freeing Young to shoot and stay ball dominant as he wants to be without regressing in his own game for lack of touches.

Huerter is clear on his goals, longterm and short: becoming a starting two guard in the NBA and the Hawks making the playoffs, respectively. What’s undeniable is that his road toward the former is on a straight shot through the latter. His play has been tailored precisely to the needs and mood of what might have seemed like a mercurial team at the start of this season, but now, has proven to be a resilient group with a wellspring of energy and touch of audacity.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 pm

Kevin Huerter is my favorite current Hawk. (Though Clint Capela is closing in on him.)

IIRC, Huerter is up for a rookie contract extension this offseason. I seriously hope he takes it.

I love this kid.

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by shakes0 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:26 am

He's definitely played a lot better since I called him out.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#57 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#58 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Red Velvet is having a very consistent season despite playing multiple roles and positions.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:43 pm

shakes0 wrote:this guy pretty much sucks at everything except knocking down open 3s. He's the epitomy of a 3 and no D player.

This kid is getting more expensive by the day.

Read on Twitter
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by shakes0 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

This kid is getting more expensive by the day.

Read on Twitter

He's been great since I called him out. You're welcome Hawksnation.

Return to Atlanta Hawks