ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#61 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:54 pm

S.A.S thinking stevens is on a hit seat now too

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#62 » by bisme37 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:23 pm

Jayson Tatum disagreeing with SAS's take about Brad being the problem.

;t=5s
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#63 » by Triple7 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:31 pm

Drax wrote:
Triple7 wrote:Exactly! It’s like you can actually predict his game plan. His starting lineup, his rotations, his offense. It’s so boring and predictable. Teams already plan for it, and he rarely change his style. It’s not like he has a top defensive system in place, which he doesn’t. Our defense is as worse as our offense this season. Players are not motivated at all. This guys need a leader, and Brad ain’t it, and he would never be one. He should just coach a rebuilding team, or just go back to college.

Really? Where does this notion come from? If you want to say Brad is an aweful offensive coach, i won't argue. But defense, we had pretty good defense these past 8 years. With emphasis on transition D and three point defending, exactly what you need in todays NBA. If our defense sucks that's either lack of execution the gameplan or our players straight are garbage defenders. The system is fine.

Defense is 100% on players. Offense though, critics are fine to complain.

Our syatem is not fine at all! Lol. Stop dwelling in the past. We are talking about this season. Surely you are not happy with the way we defend right? Look, it doesn’t matter if it’s Brad’s system that’s flawed this season, or it’s the players not executing or being lazy. Both doesn’t look good for Brad. It clearly means it’s not working anymore. Players not following Brad’s game plan, no energy, no motivation. They checked out on Brad already. Time for a change.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#64 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:35 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Guys give up the KG dream. He has already said publicly that he never wants to coach.

Tbh he wouldn’t even make a good coach imo. He’d be great to visit the locker room or work on things individually and teach Tatum and brown some intensity but wouldn’t be my choice at all.

I love kg also just he’s not a coach
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#65 » by bisme37 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:55 pm

Brad never even waterboards the players at halftime. No leadership.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#66 » by Ernest » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:56 pm

ParticleMan wrote:I don't think it's necessarily an issue of locker room problems. I think that would happen if Brad was telling them to do one thing but they all refused. I honestly think Brad has a system where he expects players to read and react in a way that best helps the team. He relies on players to understand the game and learn from their mistakes. We saw how he handled Tatum that one year where Tatum thought he was Kobe. Brad gave him a long leash, but then Tatum himself realized the next year that it didn't work. Now, that sort of long-term teaching is great when we have young developing kids. But it takes time, and we're no longer in the development phase. We aim to be competing for a title in the near future, so we don't have time for everyone to learn from their own mistakes. That's why Brad may not be the best fit anymore to coach this roster. I think a lot will depend on the exit interviews this year, whether Ainge feels like the team has learned from the debacle this year.

I agree with everything you said except maybe we still are in the development phase. We got really lucky that Ainge picked up IT. Then we got Horford and Kyrie and Hayward but it didn't work. So we have had 4 years of success, but now the vets that helped thjat are gone. What if we never got them? What if we were just building a team on the Jays plus Smart? Would people be mad at a .500 team?
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#67 » by Drax » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:03 pm

Triple7 wrote:Our syatem is not fine at all! Lol. Stop dwelling in the past. We are talking about this season. Surely you are not happy with the way we defend right? Look, it doesn’t matter if it’s Brad’s system that’s flawed this season, or it’s the players not executing or being lazy. Both doesn’t look good for Brad. It clearly means it’s not working anymore. Players not following Brad’s game plan, no energy, no motivation. They checked out on Brad already. Time for a change.

You say the system is not fine, without providing any argument.

Your argument is that the players don't buy into Brads philosophy. Thats two different topics. One can be true while the other is true aswell.

Brad's defensive schemes made us a top three point defense team in the past even with an IT in the mix, why does this not work anymore? Do opponents not shoot three pointers anymore? Look at my signature, those are Brad's core principles, he has them hanging in his office. Do you see our players execute any of them? I barely see it nowadays.

If you think those principles are wrong, go ahead fire the head coach. Its time to move on. But if you think these anyone of those principles are a part of a winning culture make sure you find a coach who's better at implementing them.

You seem eager to fire the coach, give me some names to replace Brad.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#68 » by Ernest » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:03 pm

Or maybe people you just can't expect to be a top team every year? What other thing in the world works like that? Who always wins? You are bad fans at the end of the day. You want to be a good fan, than pick a team and like them. Like them when they lose and when they win.

Fire Brad? Ok give a list of coaches what would do better? Brad has done an outstanding job every year but this year. This would be like you get fired because you were late to work one day.

The only thing this thrad is good for is knowing who to add to my "foe" list so I don't waste time reading their opinions on other matters. Pitino was right about one thing.
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#69 » by Kreamy » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:08 pm

An outsider's perspective after watching a few of your games this season.

- Absolutely keep Stevens, Tatum, Brown, Smart, Williams and Pritchard.

- Use picks to find a trade for Kemba and his contract. Ideally for 2 or 3 impact rotation players to compliment the core you're keeping.

- Reshape Stevens' coaching staff with more experience and assistants to compliment any weaknesses. You won't really find a better coach on the market unless Nurse becomes available. :D

That's my 2 cents. Carry on.
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#70 » by TA42 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:18 pm

Kreamy wrote:An outsider's perspective after watching a few of your games this season.

- Use picks to find a trade for Kemba and his contract. Ideally for 2 or 3 impact rotation players to compliment the core you're keeping.

- Reshape Stevens' coaching staff with more experience and assistants to compliment any weaknesses. You won't really find a better coach on the market unless Nurse becomes available. :D

I think that is a fairly decent plan and essentially what I lot of fans would want to see. If Danny is intent on keeping Brad then reshape the assistants to fill in his weaknesses. Hopefully that means adding some former players to the staff who can be vocal and relate.

On the players side you definitely need to build around the Jays and Rob. I'm unsure on Smart because for all his intangibles he still is prone to mental mistakes that he honestly should've outgrown a long time ago.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#71 » by FrodoFraggins » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:23 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Statlanta wrote:The team has regressed twice in the Jay's prime and now that Kyrie Irving is no longer the scapegoat this is what you have?

How about dealing with the reality that players and teams can regress?

23/24 is a few years away from most players prime, so pretty amazing that this is somehow the second time the team has regressed in their prime.

Bring better.

I've said this over and over here, but this team is just too young right now and we need patience in all areas including coaching. I think a better solution to firing Brad is to find some additional quality Asst Coaches since we've lost at least two that I know of and I'm not sure what ET is bringing to the table right now. Find a guy like Thibs who ran the D for Doc, but an offensive version. Similar to a Josh to help Bellichick run the O.

There's a strong chance that Brad has already let the young players get into really bad habits and stunted them in terms of being good TEAM players. It's time to nip it in the bud by bringing in a non-milquetoast coach.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#72 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:26 pm

FrodoFraggins wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
23/24 is a few years away from most players prime, so pretty amazing that this is somehow the second time the team has regressed in their prime.

Bring better.

I've said this over and over here, but this team is just too young right now and we need patience in all areas including coaching. I think a better solution to firing Brad is to find some additional quality Asst Coaches since we've lost at least two that I know of and I'm not sure what ET is bringing to the table right now. Find a guy like Thibs who ran the D for Doc, but an offensive version. Similar to a Josh to help Bellichick run the O.

There's a strong chance that Brad has already let the young players get into really bad habits and stunted them in terms of being good TEAM players. It's time to nip it in the bud by bringing in a non-milquetoast coach.

nah..... if you think having a guy come in here and yell at these kids is going to do something then you don't know NBA players. Name all the coaches in the league that are yellers and are having success
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#73 » by FrodoFraggins » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:34 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
FrodoFraggins wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:

nah..... if you think having a guy come in here and yell at these kids is going to do something then you don't know NBA players. Name all the coaches in the league that are yellers and are having success

You do realize that there is a large spectrum between the yellers and brad right? Brad is a freaking robot most of the time.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#74 » by bisme37 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:32 pm

Not sure why we're giving Lucky a pass. As our mascot it's his job to get everyone fired up. Clearly he's regressed as a motivator.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,618

Post#75 » by SLCceltic » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:32 pm

Ernest wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:That's really a coach's #1 job in the NBA. Doc understood that. Brad may be a genius but if he can't get his players to consistently play in his genius system, then what good is it?

That is my no. 1 concern at the moment. It is either a case of Brad not knowing how to make best use of the players he has available or that the players are not listening to him and he has lost the respect of the locker room. Whatever the case, the status quo cannot be maintained. We either need to get rid of the coach or move on the main culprits. Generally speaking, in the modern NBA the coach always seems to be the fall guy as they are expendable; playing talent is a far more valuable commodity. That is why I admire a franchise like San Antonio the model they have in place where Gregg Popovich is judge, jury and executioner. He doesn't take c*** from any player and those who think they are bigger than the team get moved on!

Sure but that's just reading things into it. Maybe MAYBE there are serious locker room problems, but no one is reporting that. A more likely reason for .500 ball is out 2 best players are under 25, most of the team is on rookie deals, we've had lots of people out with injury and "health and safety" and we just made a few trades.

We are on our way to having what SA has. It's a chain really. The owners are solid and will spend to win. They brought in Ainge and let him guy a team that had just went to the ECF. They trust him and he's not going anywhere. Ainge had Doc leave because he was too good for rebuilding. So Ainge went out and found a coach that didn't have a big head. Ainge isn't going to blame Brad or fire Brad. And Brads not going to walk when he sees a better offer or when the team needs to rebuild. Ainge got the guy we wanted.

league-wide play has leveled, so many good teams right now !

I think the funk is rooted in pushing Jays to iso heavy in order to promote development, league-wide play, AND we are in a bit of a reg season hangover w 3 ECF ...the games right now are not life and death and its hard to get this group (who is lil hungover) to play with urgency...

that said, idk if we have an experienced enough supporting cast to just turn it on in POs .....but I can also see us galvanizing going into POs and doing some real damage and even see another ECF

Fournier is a huge get for this particular team .....there will be some nice play when games start to matter more...
ROYALGREEN
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#76 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:11 am

bisme37 wrote:Brad never even waterboards the players at halftime. No leadership.

He'd have to unfold his arms first.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#77 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:21 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Ernest wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:That is my no. 1 concern at the moment. It is either a case of Brad not knowing how to make best use of the players he has available or that the players are not listening to him and he has lost the respect of the locker room. Whatever the case, the status quo cannot be maintained. We either need to get rid of the coach or move on the main culprits. Generally speaking, in the modern NBA the coach always seems to be the fall guy as they are expendable; playing talent is a far more valuable commodity. That is why I admire a franchise like San Antonio the model they have in place where Gregg Popovich is judge, jury and executioner. He doesn't take c*** from any player and those who think they are bigger than the team get moved on!

Sure but that's just reading things into it. Maybe MAYBE there are serious locker room problems, but no one is reporting that. A more likely reason for .500 ball is out 2 best players are under 25, most of the team is on rookie deals, we've had lots of people out with injury and "health and safety" and we just made a few trades.

We are on our way to having what SA has. It's a chain really. The owners are solid and will spend to win. They brought in Ainge and let him guy a team that had just went to the ECF. They trust him and he's not going anywhere. Ainge had Doc leave because he was too good for rebuilding. So Ainge went out and found a coach that didn't have a big head. Ainge isn't going to blame Brad or fire Brad. And Brads not going to walk when he sees a better offer or when the team needs to rebuild. Ainge got the guy we wanted.

league-wide play has leveled, so many good teams right now !

I think the funk is rooted in pushing Jays to iso heavy in order to promote development, league-wide play, AND we are in a bit of a reg season hangover w 3 ECF ...the games right now are not life and death and its hard to get this group (who is lil hungover) to play with urgency...

that said, idk if we have an experienced enough supporting cast to just turn it on in POs .....but I can also see us galvanizing going into POs and doing some real damage and even see another ECF

Fournier is a huge get for this particular team .....there will be some nice play when games start to matter more...

A regular season hangover with 3 ECF? That's a helluva hangover. He's lost the team. It happens. Wonder what excuses we'll have when Tatum walks in his prime. That happens too you know.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#78 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:31 am

FrodoFraggins wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:
FrodoFraggins wrote:

You do realize that there is a large spectrum between the yellers and brad right? Brad is a freaking robot most of the time.

Right, zero charisma. Popovich, Snyder, Van Gundy....Stevens doesn't have it. When the issue is effort, playing style and scheme --- it's on the coach.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#79 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:40 am

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
FrodoFraggins wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:

It's not about yelling and screaming. Think about how Popovich or Snyder, just to name two, would coach this team right now. I bet we'd have a rapid turnaround.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#80 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:08 am

TA42 wrote:
Kreamy wrote:An outsider's perspective after watching a few of your games this season.

I think that is a fairly decent plan and essentially what I lot of fans would want to see. If Danny is intent on keeping Brad then reshape the assistants to fill in his weaknesses. Hopefully that means adding some former players to the staff who can be vocal and relate.

On the players side you definitely need to build around the Jays and Rob. I'm unsure on Smart because for all his intangibles he still is prone to mental mistakes that he honestly should've outgrown a long time ago.

The problem with the assistants thing is that 1) they’re assistants, you don't fire the food prep over the chef, 2) coaches pick assistants, you don't have higher ups hire assistants, and 3) assistants support the coach, and you don't deviate from the coach's vision. And that's kind of the thing here, Stevens assistants are all kind of mini-me-ish. Stevens doesn't want it any way other than his way. He's a perfect collegiate coach but really seems to have hit his ceiling. Well at least with this team.

Return to Boston Celtics