Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Re: Around the NBA - 2020-21 

Post#1061 » by Revived » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:53 pm

Bogyo wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
For sure. They might even be better than last year. McGee is better for that specific role than Plumlee was, and the same goes for Gordon / Grant (who is having a real breakout year - on a very bad team tho). But the 2 guys they brought in are better for the specific roles they were brought in for than the 2 they lost. Real nice work by their GM, they basically got them for nothing too, heck you could argue that they have given back negative value for Gordon, that Harris contract for that production for that many years is serious yuck. Some other team would probably attached draft picks to get rid of it, and they turned it into Gordon...

I thought a few years ago backcourt of Harris/Murray would be unstoppable like Klay/Steph or Lillard/CJ but it never blossomed like I imagined. Just three years ago Harris averaged 17.5 ppg but decreased to 9 ppg while his minutes remained the same. Now those minutes will go to McGee, Morris, and Gordon. Nuggets seriously upgraded.

I hear ya. I never liked Harris that much, but then again I never thought he would regress this much. Also, Murray is too much of an SG at the PG position in a PGs body, while he is no Dame (or AI).

And don't leave Barton out of that. I think they are better with him at one of the swing positions. Also a dude who knows who and what he is, and does his job, and doesn't try to become the hero or do more than he is capable of. He is also a bigger wing that they need, Murray and Harris were both small. That team is put together very well. They make sense all round.

Harris used to be a solid 2 way player that was productive both offensively and defensively. But then his game suddenly just fell off. Perhaps it had to do with injuries, not sure.

Yeah Murray is definitely more of a SG but he’s perfect for the pairing with Jokic since Jokic is basically a point C for them and runs the offense.

And yeah their depth at guard, wing and big positions are really quite insane.

Read on Twitter

Small sample size of course still :o
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#1062 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:19 pm

TouchPassDario wrote:Also, Bridges is going to guard Murray imo.

We can hide Booker on Gordon. He has no skill on offense.

I'd put him on Barton...I like Barton, but Gordon is a high flyer, offensive rebounder, and decent scorer/set up guy...put Crowder on him. I'd put Bridges on Porter and Paul on Murray.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1063 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Denver is really good, they're going to be a tough out for anyone.

I was surprised Golden State didn't make a move at the deadline. I think Sacramento might catch them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

GSW is stealth tanking I think. They'd rather keep Steph out as many games as they can - including the playoffs. Get a lottery pick, get Thompson back, trade for something serious they got some goodies, tweak here and there and hit it next year as an instant contender. They can be for another 2-3 years tops with Curry and Co, not much after that. Makes sense too - at least for me.

*edit: fresh from the owen:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31180867/golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-fighting-play-spot-motive-me

They obviously want to make the playoffs...their pick won't likely change much regardless...12th pick vs 15th pick not a big deal. Steph had injured his tailbone. Obviously all players want to make the playoffs and he's back now. They are also paying a massive tax to try and make it. They already have the Wolves pick if it's not top 3...they will have about a 50% chance at top 3.
Tanking might be too strong of a word but the fact the only moves they made at the deadline were to shed a little money was a bit of a white flag on the season.

It was probably the wise move too since I'm not sure there was a move that gave them a real chance to compete.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1064 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:40 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
GSW is stealth tanking I think. They'd rather keep Steph out as many games as they can - including the playoffs. Get a lottery pick, get Thompson back, trade for something serious they got some goodies, tweak here and there and hit it next year as an instant contender. They can be for another 2-3 years tops with Curry and Co, not much after that. Makes sense too - at least for me.

*edit: fresh from the owen:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31180867/golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-fighting-play-spot-motive-me

They obviously want to make the playoffs...their pick won't likely change much regardless...12th pick vs 15th pick not a big deal. Steph had injured his tailbone. Obviously all players want to make the playoffs and he's back now. They are also paying a massive tax to try and make it. They already have the Wolves pick if it's not top 3...they will have about a 50% chance at top 3.
Tanking might be too strong of a word but the fact the only moves they made at the deadline were to shed a little money was a bit of a white flag on the season.

It was probably the wise move too since I'm not sure there was a move that gave them a real chance to compete.

I don't buy all this white flag stuff and slight tanking. They have said they want to keep Oubre. I don't know why they'd say that if it were not true. I kind of doubt they do...not sure if that helps in some sort of S&T but those are more rare when guys can just leave in FA, unless a team is over the cap. I could see a team like Orlando going after him...they like length and wanted him before when we turned down Oubre for him.

Curry has also had two speeches with the team..not sure if you read this stuff but from what he said, he's serious. He's not the type of guy that would not want to compete and make the playoffs. Few competitors are, especially guys like him. He, like most vets, know that playoff experience is important for guys like Wiggins and Wiseman, among others...heck, Mannion has had some good games.

It will be interesting though to see who makes it in the playoffs. I think Dallas probably almost surely makes it. And if Curry stays healthy, probably them, but the Pelicans coming on as are the Kings and both of those teams are right on the tail of the Grizzlies, Spurs and Warriors. They almost should have an 11-12 game too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1065 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:44 pm

Revived wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
I thought a few years ago backcourt of Harris/Murray would be unstoppable like Klay/Steph or Lillard/CJ but it never blossomed like I imagined. Just three years ago Harris averaged 17.5 ppg but decreased to 9 ppg while his minutes remained the same. Now those minutes will go to McGee, Morris, and Gordon. Nuggets seriously upgraded.

I hear ya. I never liked Harris that much, but then again I never thought he would regress this much. Also, Murray is too much of an SG at the PG position in a PGs body, while he is no Dame (or AI).

And don't leave Barton out of that. I think they are better with him at one of the swing positions. Also a dude who knows who and what he is, and does his job, and doesn't try to become the hero or do more than he is capable of. He is also a bigger wing that they need, Murray and Harris were both small. That team is put together very well. They make sense all round.

Harris used to be a solid 2 way player that was productive both offensively and defensively. But then his game suddenly just fell off. Perhaps it had to do with injuries, not sure.

Yeah Murray is definitely more of a SG but he’s perfect for the pairing with Jokic since Jokic is basically a point C for them and runs the offense.

And yeah their depth at guard, wing and big positions are really quite insane.

Read on Twitter

Small sample size of course still :o

Especially since a decent part of those minutes, probably a third or so, were against the Clippers. Of course they are missing 2 starters in Beverley and Ibaka but still.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1066 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I don't buy all this white flag stuff and slight tanking. They have said they want to keep Oubre. I don't know why they'd say that if it were not true. I kind of doubt they do...not sure if that helps in some sort of S&T but those are more rare when guys can just leave in FA, unless a team is over the cap. I could see a team like Orlando going after him...they like length and wanted him before when we turned down Oubre for him.

Curry has also had two speeches with the team..not sure if you read this stuff but from what he said, he's serious. He's not the type of guy that would not want to compete and make the playoffs. Few competitors are, especially guys like him. He, like most vets, know that playoff experience is important for guys like Wiggins and Wiseman, among others...heck, Mannion has had some good games.

It will be interesting though to see who makes it in the playoffs. I think Dallas probably almost surely makes it. And if Curry stays healthy, probably them, but the Pelicans coming on as are the Kings and both of those teams are right on the tail of the Grizzlies, Spurs and Warriors. They almost should have an 11-12 game too.
It's not like they would come out and say 'kelly has been a disappointment, wish we didn't spend the extra millions on the tax bill to acquire him.'.

Actions speak louder than words. The action they had was flipping Wannamaker to hornets to save money and the Chriss deal to save more lux tax cash. They could have shored up their terrible bench if they were serious about this season.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1067 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:37 pm

From Zach Lowe's 10 things:

One factor behind Sacto's push: Marvin Bagley III's latest injury forced them to lean harder into what has been their best lineup -- a small-ball group with Haliburton in Bagley's place.

Alongside Haliburton, Fox can work more off the ball -- including running the wings in transition, where Haliburton is an ace conductor. Haliburton brings old head craft to the pick-and-roll, with a special knack for ultra-soft lobs:

Haliburton is shooting a ridiculous 52% on floaters, which he flicks one-handed right out of his dribble. Backpedaling defenders have no idea what Haliburton is going to do. Haliburton exploits their uncertainty with an expert level of disguise.

That is very, very rude. It looks like Haliburton might loft a floater before he winds up for an apparent lob to Bagley -- a ruse so convincing, Joe Harris sprints in from the corner to pounce on Bagley. But the lob never comes. Haliburton turns his wrist and whips a one-handed laser to Harris' man.

The Kings have scored almost 1.1 points per possession when Haliburton shoots out of the pick-and-roll, or dishes to a teammate who fires -- 24th out of 184 guys who have run at least 100 such plays, per Second Spectrum.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1068 » by Bogyo » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:16 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Tanking might be too strong of a word but the fact the only moves they made at the deadline were to shed a little money was a bit of a white flag on the season.

It's not like they would come out and say 'kelly has been a disappointment, wish we didn't spend the extra millions on the tax bill to acquire him.'.

Actions speak louder than words. The action they had was flipping Wannamaker to hornets to save money and the Chriss deal to save more lux tax cash. They could have shored up their terrible bench if they were serious about this season.

I think management and (some) players differ in their goals as well. I was speaking management when I said stealth tanking, and I agree with Week there. Curry wants to make the playoffs for sure, so BW is right in that regard. But Green for example I'm not sure. He said he is not motivated by the play-in, but he is in the playoffs, that is a bit double talk for me, as you, me, Curry, Green, and my grandma knows that they do not have the slightest chance to make any serious damage in the playoffs. If anything, Green could be thankful that he is not exposed there being done, otherwise he will be on the tradingblock this summer with anybody from that roster not named Klay or Steph in order to get back into contention again, while those 2 are not too old for it.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Revived » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:05 pm

Pelicans look like their gonna be tanking. Their sitting guys with absurd injuries. Josh Hart, for example, said that he feels fine and his thumb basically some slight swelling on it and he’ll be fine to play tonight. Now they’ve ruled him out for tonight.

Their playing Atlanta tonight without Ingram, Zion, Ball and now Hart.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#1070 » by sasquatchBob » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:06 pm

Outside of Suns, do you still root for the Nets? That team is so unfairly stacked that (sorry Steve), I hope they lose.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1071 » by Revived » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:14 pm

I’d rather the Nets win than the Lakers. And no other team in the East has even the slightest chance of beating the Lakers in the finals (if lakers make it there) imo.

Plus the whole Kyrie vs LeBron storyline would be very entertaining.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1072 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:30 pm

Revived wrote:Pelicans look like their gonna be tanking. Their sitting guys with absurd injuries. Josh Hart, for example, said that he feels fine and his thumb basically some slight swelling on it and he’ll be fine to play tonight. Now they’ve ruled him out for tonight.

Their playing Atlanta tonight without Ingram, Zion, Ball and now Hart.

Zion and Ingram are injured. A team like that isn't going to tank. At least not this early. They are young with big names, 27 games left, a third of the season, and they are 1.5 games back of the play in tournament.

I always used to roll my eyes at stuff like pinky, to or thumb injuries. But for the last month, my thumb has been messed up, like the base of it, and it's painful to do much at all that puts any sort of strain on it at all. I imagine a toe would be even worse. And I don't think sitting Josh Hart is that big of a deal.

There are not really super stars that are that big of names to tank for anyway. It's kind of top heavy with Cade, Suggs and Mobley but the draft is a crapshoot anyway. Also, the worst few records will very likely not be caught, and then there are teams that intentionally got rid of their talent (Orlando) or sitting vets (OKC) who will almost certainly more likely lose.

If you think they are going to sit Zion and Ingram the rest of the season, young stars who need to improve and get better, with 27 games left, I think you're wrong. That's not a way to develop a winning mentality.

Sitting Horford is one thing.

Young competitors could do this if they are mathematically out, with like 10 games left when they are kind of jockeying for spots. We did it with Bledsoe...but we were like 22-45 and sat him for the last 15 games.

The Pelicans are a few games below 500 when the 9th and 10th place teams are not even 500.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1073 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:34 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:Outside of Suns, do you still root for the Nets? That team is so unfairly stacked that (sorry Steve), I hope they lose.

No, I can't stand that team. Can't stand Kyrie or KD. I don't like Harden's playstyle either. There is very little to like about that team. KD became a joke when he joined the Warriors and then moreso joining twitter under new accounts and somehow Kyrie has become even more annoying.

Kyrie and Harden seem like extreme narcissists too. Then of course KD us ultra sensitive.

I think I'd prefer any other team come from the east, except maybe Boston...and I like their players more...their fans are just the most annoying....that and they've won 20 something rings anyway....and a ton over the last 20 years if you include all their pro teams.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1074 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:38 pm

Revived wrote:I’d rather the Nets win than the Lakers. And no other team in the East has even the slightest chance of beating the Lakers in the finals (if lakers make it there) imo.

I would never bet against LeBron, but a healthy Sixers team might be tough for them. Simmons is probably about the best person to guard LeBron or AD and then you have Embiid in the middle too surrounded by great shooters in Harris, Green and Curry.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#1075 » by sasquatchBob » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:06 am

Revived wrote:I’d rather the Nets win than the Lakers. And no other team in the East has even the slightest chance of beating the Lakers in the finals (if lakers make it there) imo.

Are you sure that Lakers still get to the finals tho? Without AD and LeBron they will drop to 6-8 seed in the west. When they return from injuries they will still need get back into rhythm.

They're still title favorites but them being injured for such a long period of time makes west more competitive.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,394

Post#1076 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:46 am

Raptors 106 Warriors 52 3rd quarter. :o
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1077 » by Bogyo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:34 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sasquatchBob wrote:Outside of Suns, do you still root for the Nets? That team is so unfairly stacked that (sorry Steve), I hope they lose.

No, I can't stand that team. Can't stand Kyrie or KD. I don't like Harden's playstyle either. There is very little to like about that team. KD became a joke when he joined the Warriors and then moreso joining twitter under new accounts and somehow Kyrie has become even more annoying.

Kyrie and Harden seem like extreme narcissists too. Then of course KD us ultra sensitive.

I think I'd prefer any other team come from the east, except maybe Boston...and I like their players more...their fans are just the most annoying....that and they've won 20 something rings anyway....and a ton over the last 20 years if you include all their pro teams.

+and1000000.

The job Blake pulled on the Pistons did not make it any better, quite the contrary. Then they add LMA, then I barf in my mouth a little. Although these are just adding insult to injury, my real problem is also with their 3 stars. I can't name a trio that I respected less in the history of the league - or at least since 93 when I started following.
Nacrissist, full of sht, egomaniac entitled little mitches, who think they are smart when in reality they are your run-of-the-mill dumb athlete. Yuck.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,394

Post#1078 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:27 am

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

+and1000000.

The job Blake pulled on the Pistons did not make it any better, quite the contrary. Then they add LMA, then I barf in my mouth a little. Although these are just adding insult to injury, my real problem is also with their 3 stars. I can't name a trio that I respected less in the history of the league - or at least since 93 when I started following.
Nacrissist, full of sht, egomaniac entitled little mitches, who think they are smart when in reality they are your run-of-the-mill dumb athlete. Yuck.

I love Nash and Dantoni but I as well wont root for the Nets. Their players are very unlikable from Durant to Harden to Kyrie to Griffin to Deande Jordan. Have no idea how nets kept Kyrie after getting Harden? Rockets got nobody special for an mvp player..reminds me when Lakers got Pau Gasol for a bag of peanuts. If it wasn't for the trade Suns dont face LA in 2010 playoffs and possibly advance to the finals.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1079 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:40 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:

Are you sure that Lakers still get to the finals tho? Without AD and LeBron they will drop to 6-8 seed in the west. When they return from injuries they will still need get back into rhythm.

They're still title favorites but them being injured for such a long period of time makes west more competitive.

I think they will be the 6th seed. Possibly the 7 seed if Dallas gets really hot. I don't think them not having HCA in any series will hurt them much. They toyed with people last year. They took out the Blazers in 5, the Rockets in 5, the Nuggets, who rallied to beat tough Jazz and Clippers teams in 5, and then the Heat in 6. The Heat only won a couple games because of monster games by Butler...LA killed them in most of the other games.

I still think if the Clippers are healthy they can possibly beat them. Not sure about the Jazz.

Of course it partly depends on how healthy LeBron and AD are.
Revived
RealGM

Post#1080 » by Revived » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

I would never bet against LeBron, but a healthy Sixers team might be tough for them. Simmons is probably about the best person to guard LeBron or AD and then you have Embiid in the middle too surrounded by great shooters in Harris, Green and Curry.

Yeah Philly could be a threat too. I’m not sold on Simmons but Harris, if he keeps up with what he’s doing now, makes them dangerous.

Embiid just needs to stay healthy, I was rooting for him to get MVP this season. Now I guess it’s Jokic’s to lose.

Return to Phoenix Suns