ImageImageImage

*** Grizzlies vs Wolves - Friday Night -8pm CT FSN ***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Re: *** Grizzlies vs Wolves - Friday Night -8pm CT FSN *** 

Post#41 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:08 am

Calinks wrote:That was a hell of a quarter close by Edwards.

He’s figuring out how to use his ability to create space and set others up. Towns the main beneficiary.
BLUEGREENRED
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#42 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:09 am

Jedzz wrote:If you've missed it so far... When Ant is on the floor, he's the point guard. No more bs talk about SF please.

Ant is having sets run through him, but he’s not playing PG. He doesn’t carry the ball up the court or set up the offense. It’s two different things. It’s true that if you are going to have a wing player have sets based off of him in the half-court that you want a different skill set from your PG.

Ant is not initiating fast breaks, he’s not carrying the ball up the court, and not setting up the offense. He’s getting the ball from the PG who starts the break and sets up the offense and action for Edwards.

It’s just important to be honest about what’s happening. Harden for example would do all of those things. Maybe that’s something he should do maybe it’s not, but he’s not playing the PG position right now. The difference is because he’s not doing those things... you’d be pretty lost without playing him on the floor with another ball-handler who can do those things at least to some degree.

Harden you really don’t need that. You could play him with all wings or wings and bigs if you wanted to.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#43 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:10 am

Jedzz wrote:That last possession by Ant...ball stoppa. dribbles for most of the clock, hands off to Towns two feet away from him. Have Towns will travel I guess.

For real? Ball stopper? It’s end of quarter normal ness for pretty much EVERY NBA team.
Don’t say **** just to hate.
BLUEGREENRED
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#44 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:13 am

theGreatRC wrote:Ant is playing great as the lead guard

People still talk **** about him on these boards. So confused
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Post#45 » by life_saver » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:13 am

I feel like assist rate of the team has gone up under Finch
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#46 » by theGreatRC » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:14 am

_AIJ_ wrote:

It's like 19 year olds aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes + get better. I love seeing Ant's growth as a player this season and I fully expect him to be on another level next season
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#47 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:16 am

theGreatRC wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:

It's like 19 year olds aren't allowed to learn from their mistakes + get better. I love seeing Ant's growth as a player this season and I fully expect him to be on another level next season

They could go to college and learn enough to graduate in 4 years. But I guess if they play basketball they can’t learn anything after 0.5 years of college.
BLUEGREENRED
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#48 » by K4P » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:17 am

That Ant and Karl 2 man game does indeed hit differently
kidfozzy
Junior
And1: 151

Post#49 » by kidfozzy » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:18 am

Give Ant a proper training camp.
Game over indeed. He’s relentless.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#50 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:20 am

Lets get a win tonight, the Grizzles ALWAYS manhandle us, like no matter what, I expect them to blow up this second half, I hope we can respond.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#51 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:21 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:If you've missed it so far... When Ant is on the floor, he's the point guard. No more bs talk about SF please.

Ant is having sets run through him, but he’s not playing PG. He doesn’t carry the ball up the court or set up the offense..

Yes he does carry the ball up. He doesn't know enough team ball to "set up offense". He's just being Ant. JMac will not touch the ball when he's on the court with Ant. When Ant is off the court, everyone will let JMac play point. Rewatch the first half when you get a chance and call me a liar.

Ant is the point.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#52 » by ClarkeW » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:22 am

Jedzz wrote:That last possession by Ant...ball stoppa. dribbles for most of the clock, hands off to Towns two feet away from him. Have Towns will travel I guess.

He had seven dimes in the first half.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:23 am

_AIJ_ wrote:

He’s not playing lead guard though. He’s not bringing the ball up the court, initiating fast breaks, or setting up the offense. McLaughlin is doing those things and they are running half court sets with action based on using Edwards skill-set as a scorer to collapse defenses and score points or lead to open baskets for others as defenses rotate to Ant.

They are playing him in a typical scoring wing role, similar to say Donovan Mitchell or Devin Booker for most of his career. It’s two very different things.

I think Ant is playing great, but let’s get firm on what we’re watching and how he’s being used. He’s being used as a wing who can score and collapse defenses in the half court—not a lead guard.

It’s another jump to be able to bring the ball up the court, set-up offenses, lead fast breaks, etc. I like how they are using Ant to be clear. But it’s basically they are running plays through Ant or KAT that are set-up by J Mac bringing the ball up the court and setting up the action to get them the ball in a certain spot with potentially certain action timed with it (say a KAT ball screen for Ant) or J Mac is penetrating or swinging the ball off the threat of that action.

The ball might start to swing after Ant penetrates or with KAT’s gravity or they might get cutter options or swing the ball off their action, but Ant is not playing a lead guard role right now—and that’s completely fine and a good thing. I think asking him to do more is too much right now.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#54 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:23 am

theGreatRC wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:

We've been doing this crap for 30 some years, developing young kids instead of playing starters deserving of the role and playing in the playoffs each year. Don't ask us all to be happy about it.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#55 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:24 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

Ant is having sets run through him, but he’s not playing PG. He doesn’t carry the ball up the court or set up the offense..

Yes he does carry the ball up. He doesn't know enough team ball to "set up offense". He's just being Ant. JMac will not touch the ball when he's on the court with Ant. When Ant is off the court, everyone will let JMac play point. Rewatch the first half when you get a chance and call me a liar.

Ant is the point.

You do know that on the 3 + foul on jmac, it was ant who made the extra pass him; right?
Thus jmac and ball touching point disproved.
BLUEGREENRED
Playmaker17
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#56 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:24 am

Jedzz wrote:
life_saver wrote:Really good game from Ant so far with good decision making

Yeah at least hes passing to Kat.

You’re like a 12 year old child when you mention Ant. Dude just had 14 points and 7 assists on 9 shots but you still can’t give him a legit compliment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#57 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:25 am

Grizzlies are feeling it now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#58 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:25 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

Ant is the point.

I don’t need to, I know what I am watching. It’s not rocket science that J Mac plays more like a traditional probing PG or whatever you want to call it when there are not more players on the floor—say Ant or KAT—that they want to isolate in triple threat positions or certain spots and allow them to create half court offense.

Saying that Ant is playing the PG is no more true than saying KAT plays PG when KAT is getting tons of elbow and top of the key touches and averaging 5,7+ assists in games. Not a PG. Running offense through them in the half court but not playing PG.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#59 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:26 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:

He’s not playing lead guard though. He’s not bringing the ball up the court, initiating fast breaks, or setting up the offense. McLaughlin is doing those things and they are running half court sets with action based on using Edwards skill-set as a scorer to collapse defenses and score points or lead to open baskets for others as defenses rotate to Ant.

It's the only thing Ant knows how to do. Watch the game when the two are playing together. JMac is offball and goes stand in the corner. That's all this is.
Playmaker17
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#60 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:28 am

Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:People still talk **** about him on these boards. So confused

We've been doing this crap for 30 some years, developing young kids instead of playing starters deserving of the role and playing in the playoffs each year. Don't ask us all to be happy about it.

LOLOL....who is playing better and more deserving of minutes than Edwards atm? Do you even roof read before you hit enter. What a joke

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves