Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: *** Grizzlies vs Wolves - Friday Night -8pm CT FSN *** 

Post#61 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:28 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Ant is having sets run through him, but he’s not playing PG. He doesn’t carry the ball up the court or set up the offense..

Yes he does carry the ball up. He doesn't know enough team ball to "set up offense". He's just being Ant. JMac will not touch the ball when he's on the court with Ant. When Ant is off the court, everyone will let JMac play point. Rewatch the first half when you get a chance and call me a liar.

Ant is the point.

I don’t need to, I know what I am watching. It’s not rocket science that J Mac plays more like a traditional probing PG or whatever you want to call it when there are not more players on the floor—say Ant or KAT—.

You are trying to rationalize what doesn't fit your narrative. Ant is the point. We all know he's not a traditional point. That's not the point. There is a traditional point on the floor and they will stick him in the corner instead when Ant is out there because he's already been given the role as it's his only way to play this game.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#62 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:30 am

The streak is alive!
BLUEGREENRED
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#63 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:32 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:People still talk **** about him on these boards. So confused

He’s not playing lead guard though. He’s not bringing the ball up the court, initiating fast breaks, or setting up the offense. McLaughlin is doing those things and they are running half court sets with action based on using Edwards skill-set as a scorer to collapse defenses and score points or lead to open baskets for others as defenses rotate to Ant.

It's the only thing Ant knows how to do. Watch the game when the two are playing together. JMac is offball and goes stand in the corner. That's all this is.

Yes, in the half court they are running action where Ant is creating offense and J Mac becomes a spacer off of him. How do you think it works when a wing who can get to the rim like Ant can plays for teams?

What do you picture the Suns or Jazz offense looking like when Rubio was playing with them? Do you think that they weren’t using a lot of possessions where once they set up their half court offense they are setting up their wing scorer, spacing around him, and giving screen options? Do you think that offense didn’t look different when those players were off the floor and those teams didn’t have as talented of players who could create their own shot on the floor?

Running half court sets designed to isolate a player and allow him to either create his own shot or find another player off of the threat of his own shot =/= playing PG.

I guess it’s just not rocket science here, this is basic stuff.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:32 am

m2002brian wrote:
Calinks wrote:That was a hell of a quarter close by Edwards.

He’s figuring out how to use his ability to create space and set others up. Towns the main beneficiary.

He passes to Towns or a late cutter nearby if he's stuck in traffic. But not all 4 guys yet. I've seen him kick out to the 3pt line late a couple times in games but it's rare so far.

He's got good timing going with Kat. I wouldn't really expect it to be the same with all these other changing players this season.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#65 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:34 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Yes he does carry the ball up. He doesn't know enough team ball to "set up offense". He's just being Ant. JMac will not touch the ball when he's on the court with Ant. When Ant is off the court, everyone will let JMac play point. Rewatch the first half when you get a chance and call me a liar.

Ant is the point.

I don’t need to, I know what I am watching. It’s not rocket science that J Mac plays more like a traditional probing PG or whatever you want to call it when there are not more players on the floor—say Ant or KAT—.

You are trying to rationalize what doesn't fit your narrative. Ant is the point. We all know he's not a traditional point. That's not the point. There is a traditional point on the floor and they will stick him in the corner instead when Ant is out there because he's already been given the role as it's his only way to play this game.

I mean if you can’t see how this is projecting on your part. If there ever was a game to make an argument that he is playing the PG position it would be the one where he has 7 assists in the first 2 and a half quarters. Again, maybe you just define it differently but I suggest you watch how other teams play through scoring wings I guess is all I’d say. I’m not saying Ant does it as well as elite scoring wings at this stage either.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:34 am

TheZachAttack wrote:

Running half court sets designed to isolate a player and allow him to either create his own shot or find another player off of the threat of his own shot =/= playing PG.

I guess it’s just not rocket science here, this is basic stuff.

Talking about Dlo now are we?

Ant absolutely refuses to utilize someone like JMac who is playing completely offball when Ant is on the court. Just like he refused to use Dlo and Rubio early in the season. The only change there was Kat pleading with him to start playing with Rubio more. Nothing has changed for anyone else.

As far as you claiming he's not the team's new holder of the Point role, you can KMA with your semantics about what is or what isn't a traditional POINT GUARD. Nobody every claimed he was traditional. I own the copyright on calling him HardenNorth. You can shove your condescending rocket science talk. Nobody ever claimed James Harden a traditional point either. But that's his role on the team and nobody else is playing it when he's there.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#67 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:36 am

Jedzz wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
Calinks wrote:That was a hell of a quarter close by Edwards.

He’s figuring out how to use his ability to create space and set others up. Towns the main beneficiary.

He passes to Towns or a late cutter nearby if he's stuck in traffic. But not all 4 guys yet. I've seen him kick out to the 3pt line late a couple times in games but it's rare so far.

He's got good timing going with Kat. I wouldn't really expect it to be the same with all these other changing players this season.

BUT... it’s getting better. And... maybe just 2 manning it with Towns (keeping it simple), is a good thing. Maybe that gets expanded upon. Next step is create, nothing there, option a AND b.
Either way it’s progress. So I would, and many more, would appreciate if you could lighten up on a 19 yo who’s obviously got game and is obviously working hard at being better every day. That’s all we can ask as fans.
BLUEGREENRED
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,843

Post#68 » by life_saver » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:39 am

nice challenge Finch
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#69 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:41 am

m2002brian wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
m2002brian wrote:

BUT... it’s getting better. And... maybe just 2 manning it with Towns (keeping it simple), is a good thing. Maybe that gets expanded upon.
Yes this I agree with.
m2002brian wrote:Either way it’s progress. So I would, and many more, would appreciate if you could lighten up on a 19 yo who’s obviously got game and is obviously working hard at being better every day. That’s all we can ask as fans.

I don't really care. Nobody lightens up on me. My gripe is with Rosas for completey setting back all team progress this year so we can live in future hope land again and he can buy himself more time instead of having the guts to get after it this season. This isn't about Ant the 19yr old. He is what he is. I just wish people would stop claiming he is things that he is not yet. This is about Rosas and fans like many of you that keep supporting these waste of time decisions. I end up having to defend reality against all these fiction writers that just can't handle speaking the truth about this stuff. He's been anointed our starting point role. That's life for the next 4 years. So more people should be willing to get rid of our collection of points and small guards like me so they can build this correctly around Ant. Don't even put them on the floor with him.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,331

Post#70 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:41 am

Going to really need a couple of Beasley, Jmac, Culver, Juancho, Nowell to step up here and produce some points for us.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#71 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:43 am

Culver does a better job defending morant
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#72 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:45 am

After that pass, I’m happy to see Ant go out. He could have made a better decision. Bench time to talk it over.
BLUEGREENRED
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#73 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:49 am

_AIJ_ wrote:Culver does a better job defending morant

He should have been playing before Okogie earlier. Is he getting time now because McDaniels foul trouble?
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#74 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:50 am

What was that nowell?
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Lucamilo23
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#75 » by Lucamilo23 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:51 am

I may be in the minority, maybe not, but I don’t feel like josh is a good defender. Atleast he doesn’t seem like a good 1 on 1 defender. Maybe I have been slighted by how good McDaniels is.

I know he definitely is not good enough at d the justify his terrible shooting and offense.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:52 am

I like JPs point about effectively fouling McDaniels out by sitting him. Play him, if he goes out he goes out. WHat's the difference in the 4th
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:54 am

Lucamilo23 wrote:I may be in the minority, maybe not, but I don’t feel like josh is a good defender. Atleast he doesn’t seem like a good 1 on 1 defender. Maybe I have been slighted by how good McDaniels is.

I know he definitely is not good enough at d the justify his terrible shooting and offense.

He's gone backwards. He was always a little bit of a loose canon. But he's gotten more loose. Was always high on him first couple years but I don't think we've seen the growth happening from year to year. Maybe the offseason work isn't there? Idk. Before the Covid break last season he was really putting some offense and defense together. Haven't seen it since. I blame Rosas logjam really for that.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,331

Post#78 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:55 am

Grizzles are pulling away easily, someone needs to get going, too much dead offense right now.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#79 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:56 am

Calinks wrote:Grizzles are pulling away easily, someone needs to get going, too much dead offense right now.

Ant man coming back from his bench education soon.
BLUEGREENRED
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#80 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:56 am

Go figure, Tyus is in payback mode every time the Timberwolves come around.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves