*** Grizzlies vs Wolves - Friday Night -8pm CT FSN ***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Re: *** Grizzlies vs Wolves - Friday Night -8pm CT FSN *** 

Post#101 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:13 am

We need a new defensive scheme next season yet again. We give teams far too many three-pointers, Grizzlies average 10, tonight they almost have 20. The worst shooting teams in the league go off on us beyond the mark and of course, we don't have the shooting to keep up. Something has to be done about that next season its really bad.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#102 » by Neeva » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:15 am

Yep back to scrubs like allen going off on the wolves.

What the **** did Beasley do during his suspension??
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,812

Post#103 » by life_saver » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:16 am

just like that loss vs OKC, difference was opponent's 3 pt shooting...can't let opponent shoot 50% from 3 in 40 attempts. Another bad shooting game from Malik didn't help
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#104 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:16 am

Calinks wrote:We need a new defensive scheme next season yet again. We give teams far too many three-pointers, Grizzlies average 10, tonight they almost have 20. The worst shooting teams in the league go off on us beyond the mark and of course, we don't have the shooting to keep up. Something has to be done about that next season its really bad.

[youtube][/youtube]

I’ve had this theory in my head. Players are so offensively minded these days that it may actually be to the benefit to coach for defense, play for offense.

If that makes sense.
BLUEGREENRED
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#105 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:17 am

mastery of the Wolves continued
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#106 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:17 am

Great choice by Embiid to come back tomorrow so he can get some miracle tonic to accelerate his return to playing at a high level. Always a couple of weeks or so of rust after long injury, wolves can erase that for him tomorrow.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Lucamilo23
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#107 » by Lucamilo23 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:19 am

Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
When you turn the team into the Ant Offense, it vanishes without him. Just like when it was the Kat offense at one time and vanished without him.

Your kidding right? It’s comical how everything is put on ant. He was on the bench when they pushed the game away and he has been the only one that has shot efficiently. Yeah he has had some stupid passes but he is the only one that has put the ball in the hoop today. Beasley 1-5 from 3 and 1-6 from 2’s. Juancho was a huge negative. Towns is 1-8 from 3 and him and Reid are the only two in double digits besides ant. I get ant has his flaws but damn. This hate on him is bizarre.

Do you not read the post you are quoting? They have put all eggs in the Ant basket lately. They are all deferring to him and letting him run with it. Beasley has been cold how many games now since being back? Towns is shooting cold now? JMac is standing in a corner and not touching the ball...33 minutes and 3 shots? Nowell has 3 total attempts at 3s. Go figure...Ant goes off the floor and now they have to play real basketball? Probably should have started with real basketball and used Ant like a weapon of that offense. But that ship has sailed 35 games back.

Not that he would have done a ton but I think Culver should have played all of Okogie's minutes this game. Maybe even JMac's role today. Davis maybe should ahve seen some minutes too. If it's got to be the Ant offense, then let's do this right around him and fight size with size against Grizz.

To answer your first question, Kind of.. not very good I guess.

But understandable. We just have so many trash players that can not shoot or create their own shot. It’s almost necessary to play ant ball, which I feel he played more efficiently today. Ugh I just hate the players on our team. They also didn’t play jaden very much. I wonder why.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#108 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:19 am

Jedzz wrote:mastery of the Wolves continued

I look forward to the days when we are a dominate team and we’re arguing about how to be more dominate.
BLUEGREENRED
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#109 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:22 am

m2002brian wrote:Jedzz is just Thibs in disguise. He just hates rookies.

If only I was that simple. I'm a big McDaniels supporter and have already called him our best draft pick in many years. He's a rookie. Last season was JMac's rookie playing year and we all know I favor that player. I wanted Nowell to have every minute Culver was handed last year. Maybe I'm just supporting underdogs because they dont' wreck the starting lineup.

Of course, if Rosas keeps driving me in this direction I might be on par with THibs soon. Then again Thibs does play Quickly this season. Thankfully not forcing him as a starter just because he flashed a little greatness occasionally as a rook.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#110 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:27 am

Lucamilo23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:

Your kidding right? It’s comical how everything is put on ant. He was on the bench when they pushed the game away and he has been the only one that has shot efficiently. Yeah he has had some stupid passes but he is the only one that has put the ball in the hoop today. Beasley 1-5 from 3 and 1-6 from 2’s. Juancho was a huge negative. Towns is 1-8 from 3 and him and Reid are the only two in double digits besides ant. I get ant has his flaws but damn. This hate on him is bizarre.

Do you not read the post you are quoting? They have put all eggs in the Ant basket lately. They are all deferring to him and letting him run with it. Beasley has been cold how many games now since being back? Towns is shooting cold now? JMac is standing in a corner and not touching the ball...33 minutes and 3 shots? Nowell has 3 total attempts at 3s. Go figure...Ant goes off the floor and now they have to play real basketball? Probably should have started with real basketball and used Ant like a weapon of that offense. But that ship has sailed 35 games back.

Not that he would have done a ton but I think Culver should have played all of Okogie's minutes this game. Maybe even JMac's role today. Davis maybe should ahve seen some minutes too. If it's got to be the Ant offense, then let's do this right around him and fight size with size against Grizz.

But understandable. We just have so many trash players that can not shoot or create their own shot. It’s almost necessary to play ant ball, which I feel he played more efficiently today. Ugh I just hate the players on our team. They also didn’t play jaden very much. I wonder why.

I hate the fit of the players now. Hated it all season long. I think Jaden got into foul trouble early. Maybe McDaniels just doesn't match up well with the size and intensity Grizz play with right now. He shot fine, just didn't get many shots. I saw him attempt to start driving a couple in and then wisely backed out of the wall he saw. It was the Ant/Kat and everyone watch sort of thing.

Not happy about Beas shooting. Many really. Are they maybe not getting the space?
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#111 » by m2002brian » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:33 am

Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I hate the fit of the players now. Hated it all season long. I think Jaden got into foul trouble early. Maybe McDaniels just doesn't match up well with the size and intensity Grizz play with right now. He shot fine, just didn't get many shots. I saw him attempt to start driving a couple in and then wisely backed out of the wall he saw. It was the Ant/Kat and everyone watch sort of thing.

Not happy about Beas shooting. Many really. Are they maybe not getting the space?

So in reality, this was a practice, learning, tank session.
BLUEGREENRED
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#112 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:35 am

m2002brian wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:

So in reality, this was a practice, learning, tank session.

Felt like a tank from the beginning.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,948

Post#113 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:38 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
He’s not playing lead guard though. He’s not bringing the ball up the court, initiating fast breaks, or setting up the offense. McLaughlin is doing those things and they are running half court sets with action based on using Edwards skill-set as a scorer to collapse defenses and score points or lead to open baskets for others as defenses rotate to Ant.

It's the only thing Ant knows how to do. Watch the game when the two are playing together. JMac is offball and goes stand in the corner. That's all this is.

Yes, in the half court they are running action where Ant is creating offense and J Mac becomes a spacer off of him. How do you think it works when a wing who can get to the rim like Ant can plays for teams?

What do you picture the Suns or Jazz offense looking like when Rubio was playing with them? Do you think that they weren’t using a lot of possessions where once they set up their half court offense they are setting up their wing scorer, spacing around him, and giving screen options? Do you think that offense didn’t look different when those players were off the floor and those teams didn’t have as talented of players who could create their own shot on the floor?

Running half court sets designed to isolate a player and allow him to either create his own shot or find another player off of the threat of his own shot =/= playing PG.

I guess it’s just not rocket science here, this is basic stuff.

You so totally get it. Right on. Well said.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:48 am

Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
When you turn the team into the Ant Offense, it vanishes without him. Just like when it was the Kat offense at one time and vanished without him.

Do you not read the post you are quoting? I see now you've checked it.

I think that's right. You have to get Culver all the minutes you can. He needs playing time so we can see what we have. He needs a chance.

Josh O is not the answer. Every once in a while he does some good things but overall he's a losing proposition.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by Nick K » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:52 am

Lucamilo23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Lucamilo23 wrote:

Jaden was in early foul trouble.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#116 » by Neeva » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:58 am

Yep if this team is tanking, Josh needs dnps and Culver needs all his minutes.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#117 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:14 am

Nick K wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

It's the only thing Ant knows how to do. Watch the game when the two are playing together. JMac is offball and goes stand in the corner. That's all this is.

Yes, in the half court they are running action where Ant is creating offense and J Mac becomes a spacer off of him. How do you think it works when a wing who can get to the rim like Ant can plays for teams?

What do you picture the Suns or Jazz offense looking like when Rubio was playing with them? Do you think that they weren’t using a lot of possessions where once they set up their half court offense they are setting up their wing scorer, spacing around him, and giving screen options? Do you think that offense didn’t look different when those players were off the floor and those teams didn’t have as talented of players who could create their own shot on the floor?

Running half court sets designed to isolate a player and allow him to either create his own shot or find another player off of the threat of his own shot =/= playing PG.

I guess it’s just not rocket science here, this is basic stuff.

You so totally get it. Right on. Well said.

Thanks! The biggest advantage I see in the types of action they are running is that they can choose to get Towns whatever number of primary action touches in sets that they want to. McLaughlin simply initiates a play that gets Towns the primary touch in the post, on the elbow, or at the top of the key in whatever type of way they want to do that.

If you notice, it’s not Ant who is making these entry passes and setting up this action. Ant is having action set up for him on plays where they want to ask Ant to try and collapse the defense or take an open 3 if it’s available. What they are also doing is timing that action a lot of the time to be a 2 man game with Towns. This allows Ant to get open 3’s if they go under the screen, but also allows Towns to be involved and get even more touches even if Ant is, at this stage, mostly looking to create his own shot. It gives him a safety valve and you could see tonight the way they have been trying to coach him on simple reads off his drives based on how defenses defend it.

The difference and nuance in that Ant is not playing PG is that they aren’t asking him to set up Towns primary actions touches—but Towns does get secondary action touches off of a lot of Ant’s primary action. The primary role of a PG, in a traditional sense, is to set the primary action. Until Ant, is setting up primary actions for others and being asked to lead the fast break and bring the ball up the court... he’s not being asked to be a lead guard—he’s playing pretty stereotypically like a volume scoring wing.

The Wolves want to give Ant a lot of half court primary action sets because of his ability to beat his man and get to the rim, what they have invested into him, and the potential he shows. They aren’t going to run primary action for secondary scorers when Ant is in the game. However, they aren’t asking him to play PG.

The challenge, but also the upside that Rosas is betting on with D Lo, is that D Lo will be asked to play PG. He will be asked to bring the ball up the court, start fast breaks and control pace, and set-up the offense in the half court. This means that D Lo will have to be able to be coschable and play within Finch’s system and set up primary action sets for KAT & Edwards in which he is asked to be a spacer for them and effective in that role. The challenge for Finch and potential upside is based on the fact that D Lo will also have primary action run through him. Can D Lo and Finch balance the right balance of those different types of actions—can D Lo be successful playing in both ways?

Rosas has suggested that Ryan was not providing the right structure to do that—I think we saw that. I think the blame falls somewhat on Ryan and the lack of ability to dictate half court plays and sets for the different players in the right way. However, it’s also on D Lo that without that structure from a coach of helping him dictate the pace and primary actions outside of calling his own number, was not able to consistently do that in the right way. The third factor is injuries.

I think it’s a good bet that Finch will be able to install the right structure to allow the Wolves to manage the touches of those 3 (and Beasley to some extent) in the right way. D Lo’s ability to space the floor should theoretically allow him to still be a productive offensive player when the half court set involves other players being the primary action.

This will be the thing to watch if we ever see if for a stretch of games.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,160

Post#118 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:35 am

The amount of Ant hate is amazing
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Playmaker17
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#119 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:35 am

Jedzz wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
He passes to Towns or a late cutter nearby if he's stuck in traffic. But not all 4 guys yet. I've seen him kick out to the 3pt line late a couple times in games but it's rare so far.

He's got good timing going with Kat. I wouldn't really expect it to be the same with all these other changing players this season.

BUT... it’s getting better. And... maybe just 2 manning it with Towns (keeping it simple), is a good thing. Maybe that gets expanded upon.
Yes this I agree with.
m2002brian wrote:Either way it’s progress. So I would, and many more, would appreciate if you could lighten up on a 19 yo who’s obviously got game and is obviously working hard at being better every day. That’s all we can ask as fans.

I don't really care. Nobody lightens up on me. My gripe is with Rosas for completey setting back all team progress this year so we can live in future hope land again and he can buy himself more time instead of having the guts to get after it this season. This isn't about Ant the 19yr old. He is what he is. I just wish people would stop claiming he is things that he is not yet. This is about Rosas and fans like many of you that keep supporting these waste of time decisions. I end up having to defend reality against all these fiction writers that just can't handle speaking the truth about this stuff. He's been anointed our starting point role. That's life for the next 4 years. So more people should be willing to get rid of our collection of points and small guards like me so they can build this correctly around Ant. Don't even put them on the floor with him.

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I’ve ever read from you...and that’s saying a lot. Clearly supporting this team isn’t enjoyable for you. This season was over before it started due to significant injuries to star players....Ant is blossoming into a star right before your eyes but you’re wearing blinders and missing the show. It’s too bad.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#120 » by Note30 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:02 am

Ant is literally the future. Quote me.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves