Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Re: GAME 50: Clippers (32-17) vs Nuggets (32-17)—Thursday 10PM 

Post#121 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:22 pm

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:He's played great, even during the six game winning streak. So players being out= playground ball or is it the iso one-on-one offense= playground ball? If you just said you want to see how he looks with the full squad playing I definitely get it. I'm just trying to get your definition of "playground ball" which sounds cheap, lowlife, unorganized ghetto ball.. nothing which I see that associates with Mann's play. And I didn't mention Kennard at all

I previously used "pickup" basketball. Use whatever term you like for an underpracticed, undermanned team. Mann is thriving in the chaos; Kennard is flailing. George is hobbling. Kawhi is trying to pace himself while still playing 35+ minutes and almost every game--a looooooooong way from "load management." Marcus is still trying to find himself. Batum has to re-find himself after being bumped from the starting unit. After QBing it for 3 1/2 seasons, Lou is gone so the second unit is 100% winging it. The defensive "heart and soul" of the team has missed the last 10 games. We're 8-7 in our last 15 games, thanks to a 6-game win streak against the Hornets; a hairy comeback from 20 down against the Hawks; 2 wins against a Spurs team in turmoil; an Embiid-less Sixers team on a long road trip; and a nice but weird win against the Bucks.

Which was offset by losing to the Magic, who just traded their 3 best players. You better hope we're playing like a "pickup" team, because if this is Clippers basketball, we are screwed, bro.

Much better and clearer definition but to be honest with you most of the league is playing like this and are in the same boat. The favorites the Nets are the epitome of this. Not even sure if the injures stop for any team come playoff time. How about this Pels/Hawks game tonight..

Read on Twitter

Well yeah, these are the dog days. What it proves I don't know. I'm hoping that the Nets are getting by on veteran savvy and aren't as good as they look. Wish we looked as good, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#122 » by RingColluder » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:30 pm

nickhx2 wrote:for you dinguses who are crying about paul george being bad this game

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31181181/la-clippers-paul-george-trying-figure-how-manage-toe-injury

So are both Nick's the same person? 2 accounts from the same Nick are allowed? It's tough to tell with your delusions about PG.

He dealt with a supposed injured shoulder all season last year and preseason he said he'd be back to his, "MVP ways".
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,071

Post#123 » by og15 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:55 pm

RingColluder wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:for you dinguses who are crying about paul george being bad this game

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31181181/la-clippers-paul-george-trying-figure-how-manage-toe-injury

So are both Nick's the same person? 2 accounts from the same Nick are allowed? It's tough to tell with your delusions about PG.

He dealt with a supposed injured shoulder all season last year and preseason he said he'd be back to his, "MVP ways".

“Supposed” injury, come on, that’s uncalled for

Was he lying about MVP ways? Before he started missing games due to injury, he was averaging 24/6/6 on 51/48 shooting. He scored 20+ pts in 15/20 games, 25+ pts in 11/20 games and only had 2 games in 20 games with 15 pts or less.

Since returning from injury and having all these in and out of the lineup injury issues, he’s averaged 20/6/6 shooting 43/35. He’s scored 20+ pts in 7/17 games, 25+ pts in 4/17 games, and he’s had 6 games with 15 pts or less.

So it’s either a massive coincidence (and this is even taking into account that, yes, we’d expect some lower shooting games since he started so hot), OR, the injuries have slowed him down and affected his performance.

In this same thread you mentioned that players can carry a team for 3 quarters and be tired in the 4th, sure, it happens, but you are unable to acknowledge that injury can affect a players performance? I mean if you are going so far as to call his injuries “supposed”, even though he had shoulder surgery (https://fansided.com/2019/11/16/paul-george-returns-anatomy-impact-shoulder-surgeries/) for his supposed injuries (must have paid the Dr’s to make up records). It screams extreme bias and inability to make fair assessment.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#124 » by TheNewEra » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:35 am

Clemenza wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Internet doing George dirty

That clip of him blowing that layup is trending on twitter. Why does he do this to himself and the team. Hurt toe or not that's still a soft dunk with minimum effort

Probably didn’t think he could clear the dunk off the euro step with the bad toe. He really should of just passed it to Batum after the euro blow by
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#125 » by playaloc916 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:43 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:Yep, the offense is sucks lately, let me inject some hope to your veins.

This guy can't get healthy fast enough... watching these contested 3pointers and ineffective iso-ball is brutal. The only guy who seems to drive effectively is Mann. Kawhi is on the slow side, and PG with his funky cold edema is botching layups. The Pelicans signed Isaiah Thomas to a 10 day contract. I'm thinking we should also look for a 3/4 on a 10 day as well...

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#126 » by esqtvd » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:54 am

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#127 » by esqtvd » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:13 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Was he lying about MVP ways? Before he started missing games due to injury, he was averaging 24/6/6 on 51/48 shooting. He scored 20+ pts in 15/20 games, 25+ pts in 11/20 games and only had 2 games in 20 games with 15 pts or less.

Since returning from injury and having all these in and out of the lineup injury issues, he’s averaged 20/6/6 shooting 43/35. He’s scored 20+ pts in 7/17 games, 25+ pts in 4/17 games, and he’s had 6 games with 15 pts or less.

So it’s either a massive coincidence (and this is even taking into account that, yes, we’d expect some lower shooting games since he started so hot), OR, the injuries have slowed him down and affected his performance.

In this same thread you mentioned that players can carry a team for 3 quarters and be tired in the 4th, sure, it happens, but you are unable to acknowledge that injury can affect a players performance? I mean if you are going so far as to call his injuries “supposed”, even though he had shoulder surgery (https://fansided.com/2019/11/16/paul-george-returns-anatomy-impact-shoulder-surgeries/) for his supposed injuries (must have paid the Dr’s to make up records). It screams extreme bias and inability to make fair assessment.

Well, that PG is playing hurt just leaked out and it explains a lot, like the poor shooting and not dunking. Still, his FTAs cratered before the injury. Hey, I've been pointing out the PG has been contributing in other ways than scoring, but it's not unfair to say he's been more a #2 than the #1a we had hoped for when we traded the farm for him and again when he got the maxx.

But there's no point in dogging him any further. He IS doing his best. The only question now is how and who is going to make up the slack.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#128 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:06 am

playaloc916 wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:Yep, the offense is sucks lately, let me inject some hope to your veins.

This guy can't get healthy fast enough... watching these contested 3pointers and ineffective iso-ball is brutal. The only guy who seems to drive effectively is Mann. Kawhi is on the slow side, and PG with his funky cold edema is botching layups. The Pelicans signed Isaiah Thomas to a 10 day contract. I'm thinking we should also look for a 3/4 on a 10 day as well...

Guy was taming LBJ and AD just last year. Provided healthy game flow etc. Kind of what Kawhi&PG and Clippers needs.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#129 » by RingColluder » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:07 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

OK injury then. So bc of his injury, he's getting ANOTHER excuse this year if he performs poorly? A foot injury does not heal without time off and rest, this is going to linger the whole season.

The theme and issue is not the use of the word "Supposed", it's the fact that throughout his entire career all we hear from PG is excuses. Excuses about bad shots, excuses about not being "the year' to win a championship, excuses about injuries, excuses excuses. I'm done with it, he needs to perform injured or not.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#130 » by RingColluder » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:08 pm

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Well, that PG is playing hurt just leaked out and it explains a lot, like the poor shooting and not dunking. Still, his FTAs cratered before the injury. Hey, I've been pointing out the PG has been contributing in other ways than scoring, but it's not unfair to say he's been more a #2 than the #1a we had hoped for when we traded the farm for him and again when he got the maxx.

But there's no point in dogging him any further. He IS doing his best. The only question now is how and who is going to make up the slack.

His shoulder or whatever is the reason most likely (going back from last year) he does not look to draw contact and get fouls. That's not ever going away! He contributes with great defense, but as you say he's more of a #3 than a #2. Again, Morris looks way better offensively than PG and aren't both players dealing with injuries??
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#131 » by esqtvd » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:22 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:

Guy was taming LBJ and AD just last year. Provided healthy game flow etc. Kind of what Kawhi&PG and Clippers needs.

Pretty much what Doc said. I mean, who tells Kawhi what to do? The NBA is a players' league.

“Obviously, his point guard play. It was difficult at times last year, especially without the practice time that we didn’t have, to run a play down the stretch where you didn’t already have the ball in PG’s or Kawhi’s hands — now you don’t have to do that. You can actually run a set where Rondo can deliver the ball.

But I think as important as that’s gonna be, his voice is going to be even more important. I think he’s one of those guys that will speak up, will speak the truth and tell everybody and hold everybody accountable. I think that’s important.”
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#132 » by RingColluder » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:36 pm

playaloc916 wrote:

Notice how Rondo complimented Kawhi's PG abilities and not Paul George.. so why is Kawhi not used as a PG more?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#133 » by og15 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:46 am

RingColluder wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:

Notice how Rondo complimented Kawhi's PG abilities and not Paul George.. so why is Kawhi not used as a PG more?

They specifically asked a question about Kawhi, maybe that's why, lol. Rondo talks about his passing ability that's not the same as PG abilities.

Also giving Kawhi MORE things to do on the court is not a solution for this team. George playing the PG role allows Kawhi to attack from his natural spots and be a passer and playmaker from those areas. Making Kawhi bring the ball up more and initiate from the point of attack more often is not going to help the team.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#134 » by og15 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:49 am

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

OK injury then. So bc of his injury, he's getting ANOTHER excuse this year if he performs poorly? A foot injury does not heal without time off and rest, this is going to linger the whole season.

The theme and issue is not the use of the word "Supposed", it's the fact that throughout his entire career all we hear from PG is excuses. Excuses about bad shots, excuses about not being "the year' to win a championship, excuses about injuries, excuses excuses. I'm done with it, he needs to perform injured or not.

Certainly, Paul George has had his share of excuses, my point is that dismissing a legitimate issues because, "well it's Paul George and he always has excuses" is not an actual fair assessment. Excuses abound in the NBA, Kawhi blamed not having enough high IQ guys, it's a legitimate reason, but for a person who doesn't like him, it's an excuse, and they'll say, "why don't you he the high IQ guy and take control of your offense like a LeBron James does".
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#135 » by RingColluder » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:16 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:This guy can't get healthy fast enough... watching these contested 3pointers and ineffective iso-ball is brutal. The only guy who seems to drive effectively is Mann. Kawhi is on the slow side, and PG with his funky cold edema is botching layups. The Pelicans signed Isaiah Thomas to a 10 day contract. I'm thinking we should also look for a 3/4 on a 10 day as well...

They specifically asked a question about Kawhi, maybe that's why, lol. Rondo talks about his passing ability that's not the same as PG abilities.

Also giving Kawhi MORE things to do on the court is not a solution for this team. George playing the PG role allows Kawhi to attack from his natural spots and be a passer and playmaker from those areas. Making Kawhi bring the ball up more and initiate from the point of attack more often is not going to help the team.

Kawhi handles the ball maybe 15% in games whereas PG has it 80%. You're a PG fan? OK, but call it out then. He's been laying very poorly, injury or otherwise.

The solution is to have Rondo be PG. PG is an awful PG. Either T Mann, rondo or Bev at point. Maybe even Coffee or Kawhi.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#136 » by RingColluder » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:17 am

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:“Supposed” injury, come on, that’s uncalled for

Certainly, Paul George has had his share of excuses, my point is that dismissing a legitimate issues because, "well it's Paul George and he always has excuses" is not an actual fair assessment. Excuses abound in the NBA, Kawhi blamed not having enough high IQ guys, it's a legitimate reason, but for a person who doesn't like him, it's an excuse, and they'll say, "why don't you he the high IQ guy and take control of your offense like a LeBron James does".

What? Kawhi and PG are both injured. There are no excuses for anyone, but yet PG at a max deal going 5-15 vs Kawhi going 10-22 somehow gets more blamed than one of the worst players since the ASB. PG lost us that game.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#137 » by esqtvd » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:01 am

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

What? Kawhi and PG are both injured. There are no excuses for anyone, but yet PG at a max deal going 5-15 vs Kawhi going 10-22 somehow gets more blamed than one of the worst players since the ASB. PG lost us that game.

NOBODY loses a game. I'm so sick of the scapegoating. Everybody does their best. We have no mutts on this team. We lose because we weren't good enough. PG isn't as good as we hoped. He's not as good as HE hoped. So it goes. Kawhi isn't LeBron James either.

Lou was traded--not dumped--because maybe Rondo can make everybody better. It's a Hail Mary.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#138 » by og15 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:08 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Kawhi handles the ball maybe 15% in games whereas PG has it 80%. You're a PG fan? OK, but call it out then. He's been laying very poorly, injury or otherwise.

The solution is to have Rondo be PG. PG is an awful PG. Either T Mann, rondo or Bev at point. Maybe even Coffee or Kawhi.

Define "fan". PG is not one of my favorite players. I support PG because he's a Clipper, but if you mean "fan" as in favorite player or riding hard for the player, no, not at all. If you mean fan as in I would have been sad if he was trade eligible and was traded for Harden for example, no. So, I'm not a fan in that sense, but I am a fan in that I want him to succeed.

I'm not unnecessarily biased against PG. I responded specifically to what you said. George is not a point guard, he's been asked to pay the role because the Clippers didn't have any real PG on the team and Beverley is actually an inferior playmaker and pick and roll ball handler in comparison.

Kawhi is also not a PG. He's a good passer, a capable playmaker, but not a PG. Kawhi excels making plays and drawing the defense from his spots. Making Kawhi do more of PG's role would over-tax him, it wouldn't make Kawhi better, and it wouldn't make PG better or more useful. It's making an imperfect situation even worse.

Despite his flaws, George in the point guard role was the best compromise because it allowed the team to maximize Kawhi (keep him in his comfort zones) who is the best player. I'm not necessarily adjusting my best players spots and role to maximize other guys if it is going to affect their production.

Yes, the Clippers have games where they have issues with better defenses, it's not because George is the point guard vs Kawhi, it's because the team doesn't have a point guard. In the average game and on the average night, the Clippers are a top offense in the league. Mann, Beverley and Coffey (lol) are not making the offense better. It's gotten crazy when one starts suggesting that Amir Coffey would run the offense better, I can't even respond to that craziness.

Who gets the touches?
Also, this 15% vs 80% number you have here is WAY off, I hope you were just being hyperbolic because that's not close to accurate.

If you want data and not just he said, she said:
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612746&sort=TOUCHES&dir=1

George averages 6.5 more touches a game and has about 12 more seconds on the ball a game vs Kawhi. Considering he brings the ball up more often, this is pretty irrelevant. If we look at touches in the front court, Kawhi averages 7.8 more a game.

Kawhi holds the ball for 0.26 seconds longer per touch. They have essentially the same amount of touch time, and if we're actually talking about after the ball has crossed half court, Kawhi has more.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#139 » by NickP » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:51 pm

RingColluder wrote:

Actually there are 4 Nicks on this board. Now get back to your PG bashing.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#140 » by RingColluder » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:29 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:They specifically asked a question about Kawhi, maybe that's why, lol. Rondo talks about his passing ability that's not the same as PG abilities.

Define "fan". PG is not one of my favorite players. I support PG because he's a Clipper, but if you mean "fan" as in favorite player or riding hard for the player, no, not at all. If you mean fan as in I would have been sad if he was trade eligible and was traded for Harden for example, no. So, I'm not a fan in that sense, but I am a fan in that I want him to succeed.

I'm not unnecessarily biased against PG. I responded specifically to what you said. George is not a point guard, he's been asked to pay the role because the Clippers didn't have any real PG on the team and Beverley is actually an inferior playmaker and pick and roll ball handler in comparison.

Kawhi is also not a PG. He's a good passer, a capable playmaker, but not a PG. Kawhi excels making plays and drawing the defense from his spots. Making Kawhi do more of PG's role would over-tax him, it wouldn't make Kawhi better, and it wouldn't make PG better or more useful. It's making an imperfect situation even worse.

Despite his flaws, George in the point guard role was the best compromise because it allowed the team to maximize Kawhi (keep him in his comfort zones) who is the best player. I'm not necessarily adjusting my best players spots and role to maximize other guys if it is going to affect their production.

Yes, the Clippers have games where they have issues with better defenses, it's not because George is the point guard vs Kawhi, it's because the team doesn't have a point guard. In the average game and on the average night, the Clippers are a top offense in the league. Mann, Beverley and Coffey (lol) are not making the offense better. It's gotten crazy when one starts suggesting that Amir Coffey would run the offense better, I can't even respond to that craziness.

Who gets the touches?
Also, this 15% vs 80% number you have here is WAY off, I hope you were just being hyperbolic because that's not close to accurate.

If you want data and not just he said, she said:
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612746&sort=TOUCHES&dir=1

George averages 6.5 more touches a game and has about 12 more seconds on the ball a game vs Kawhi. Considering he brings the ball up more often, this is pretty irrelevant. If we look at touches in the front court, Kawhi averages 7.8 more a game.

Kawhi holds the ball for 0.26 seconds longer per touch. They have essentially the same amount of touch time, and if we're actually talking about after the ball has crossed half court, Kawhi has more.

I dont mean in iso situations, I mean when they are looked at to be the Point Guard, Paul George is most likely used a significant amount as a PG. Is that stat quantifiable?

But it should go down now w Rondo on the team

Return to Los Angeles Clippers