ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,458

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and sports media) 

Post#201 » by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:56 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:All that said, still think we need consolidation in the local sports talk area. Way too many guys on the air, and the talent is diluted

What do you think about LeRoy Butler? Love him as a player and ex-Packer, but holy crap he's pretty bad on air.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,049

Post#202 » by BigO » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:24 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:We'll see if anything changes in Bucks coverage if there are any (or even one) articles critical of the team or questioning any moves.

There are some big stories out there.

-How did the Bogdan trade fall apart
-How is the front office operating under Lasry the past 18-months versus the prior two years under Edens
-Are the Bucks losing money with Covid, is that impacting luxury tax decisions

But the sports media operating protocols have shifted so hard here the past decade. The local guys simply write recaps and puff pieces, while being grateful for a paycheck. Meanwhile the league has created a quasi official press office (Woj/ESPN) to release the real day to day news.

The only way the paradigm changes is a super talented blogger type, who can get access to real information, and report it on it in a organized manner.

The sports guys are afraid of their jobs and access to teams, so they ask soft questions. I would love one of them to ask Bud why the Knicks, with so much lesser talent, have a better defense than the Bucks. Journalism is in a sad state.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#203 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:20 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I like Chuck, but one area where he was deficient was his ability to host the morning show on his own, when his partner(s) would go on vacation. Always got a kick out of the fact that Wickett could take it solo when Chuck was on vacation, and when Wickett would be out, they'd need a bunch of people to assist Chuck.

All that said, still think we need consolidation in the local sports talk area. Way too many guys on the air, and the talent is diluted.

And do we even have a Bucks postgame show anymore? Loved Sparky and Gery back in the day, but the show itself seems to have gone by the wayside.

Joe Zenzola just called it quits over there, didn't mention Bill Michaels in his final goodbye post

From the JS side, Jim Ozarskis is a massive downgrade from Matt Velazquez.

Knew it was coming, but sheeesh is he bad.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#204 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:11 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
From the JS side, Jim Ozarskis is a massive downgrade from Matt Velazquez.

You could sort of tell how that one was going to start out, when during the Giannis press conference last fall, Jim introduced himself to Giannis, expecting Giannis to remember who he was. At this point the MJS beat reporter has reached a point of irrelevance.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#205 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote:What do you think about LeRoy Butler? Love him as a player and ex-Packer, but holy crap he's pretty bad on air.

We should do a fantasy draft of local sports talkers. From WSSP, I'd probably draft Sparky and Gary Ellerson, and then call it a day. Although I'm also partial to Ramie, when his in the moderator role, versus trying to carry his own show.

Over at 97.3, I'd take Brian Butch, Czabe and Ted Davis

On 94.5 I'd take Homer and Wilde.

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#206 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:30 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:What do you think about LeRoy Butler? Love him as a player and ex-Packer, but holy crap he's pretty bad on air.

We should do a fantasy draft of local sports talkers. From WSSP, I'd probably draft Sparky and Gary Ellerson, and then call it a day. Although I'm also partial to Ramie, when his in the moderator role, versus trying to carry his own show.

For strictly entertainment scalzo and brust are the best in the area.

Otherwise I like Ted and Armen and Wilde and Tausch.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#207 » by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:36 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

Yeah, I like Ramie aside from his sports teams. Surprisingly, when Bart is with Ramie on rare occasions, they were pretty good together and brought out good content, albeit not as heavy on the sports.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#208 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:59 pm

I think a bunch of the guys on the fan are entertaining but not your traditional radio professional. Ramie is pretty good but again not your classic host.

I love Leroy Butler, but I cringe a lot listening to him lose his train of thought.

I’d say you have some entertaining people in sports radio but not much talent overall. Feels kind of bargain bin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#209 » by LittleRooster » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:52 am

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

For strictly entertainment scalzo and brust are the best in the area.

Otherwise I like Ted and Armen and Wilde and Tausch.

Agreed on scalzo and brust. Took me a bit to warm up to them but they’re fun. Also love Wilde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#210 » by humanrefutation » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:28 am

I knew Greg Scalzo when I was in college. He's a nice guy. I always kinda knew he'd end up doing sports radio.

I am glad these guys are still out their doing their thing, but personally, I don't listen to any local guys and haven't for years. The conversations just don't seem relevant anymore. They used to almost serve as the public voice of the fan base, back at their peak 20 years ago - either through their own content or through offering a microphone to callers. You'd know the franchises were listening and that was a key way to voice your frustrations in a way that would reach them.

But that's no longer needed with social media, IMO. And I'd rather spend my limited time on the best content - including this board and good basketball writers online - instead of listening to Joe from Brookfield complain that the Packers didn't sign FA X.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#211 » by BUCKnation » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:15 am

Yeah, podcasts growing to the mainstream over the past few years allowing you to be selective on the content you listen to has kind of killed local radio for me. Now, I’d still dip back in after a big game for a good postgame show, but that’s really it
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#212 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:49 am

BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, podcasts growing to the mainstream over the past few years allowing you to be selective on the content you listen to has kind of killed local radio for me. Now, I’d still dip back in after a big game for a good postgame show, but that’s really it

With the Bucks being really good the past three years, it has meant that the team gets a lot of play on the national podcasts. Whether Simmons/Rusillo or Brian Windhorst or the Nate Duncan/Hollinger stuff, you get some very good Bucks talk, and NBA talk about our rivals.

The local Milwaukee sports radio talent can't keep up with that. Have given 97.3 a listen here of late, but it feels like all I'm hearing is "KB" doing commercials telling me I need new windows. I do like Czabe, but he doesn't really do a sports show, so it has limited appeal for me. Much preferred him on Bob and Brian, when he'd have them to play off of, in a focused 20 minute segment.

DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#213 » by DavidDunn21 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:Yeah, podcasts growing to the mainstream over the past few years allowing you to be selective on the content you listen to has kind of killed local radio for me. Now, I’d still dip back in after a big game for a good postgame show, but that’s really it

With the Bucks being really good the past three years, it has meant that the team gets a lot of play on the national podcasts. Whether Simmons/Rusillo or Brian Windhorst or the Nate Duncan/Hollinger stuff, you get some very good Bucks talk, and NBA talk about our rivals.

The local Milwaukee sports radio talent can't keep up with that. Have given 97.3 a listen here of late, but it feels like all I'm hearing is "KB" doing commercials telling me I need new windows. I do like Czabe, but he doesn't really do a sports show, so it has limited appeal for me. Much preferred him on Bob and Brian, when he'd have them to play off of, in a focused 20 minute segment.
Czabe talked about one of my uniforms videos briefly on his personal pod a few weeks back, so I've been listening to the IHeart feed a bit more lately...I still really like his insights for the most part, but yeah...his Bob and Brian slot I grew up with.

Most of the comments about consolidation of local radio I tend to agree with...but I feel the same about Bucks pods also. I wish there was a Flagship Bucks pod that had all the guys I listen to in one place. As it is, I sample from 2 or 3 when I have time.

Are there any other Bucks pods you guys would recommend?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#214 » by BUCKnation » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:51 pm

Yeah, the Bucks get a decent amount of national play considering the market. I’m generally content with the 20-30 min of LoB after games or transactions.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#215 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:34 pm

So Tim Allen already quit his afternoon show and I think is back to doing just Post Games for Brewers. Now it's just The Ramie Show.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#216 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:54 pm

Matches Malone wrote:So Tim Allen already quit his afternoon show and I think is back to doing just Post Games for Brewers. Now it's just The Ramie Show.

Did Tim quit or did they do another cost cutting move?

I assumed that station was starting to throw in the towel when they got rid of the FM 105.7 frequency and went back exclusively to 1250am.

Love Sparky and wish his career well, whether there or elsewhere. Selfishly though, would love to see him back to doing Bucks postgame shows (and Brewer postgame shows for that matter). He was good at them.

M-C-G
RealGM

Post#217 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:00 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:So Tim Allen already quit his afternoon show and I think is back to doing just Post Games for Brewers. Now it's just The Ramie Show.

Did Tim quit or did they do another cost cutting move?

I caught about a 4 minute explanation from Ramie while picking up my daughter. He said plan was to pair them until baseball season started and then re-evaluate. So thinking it was a trial run, probably got some feedback the pairing didn't work and exit strategy was to just have Allen do Brewers stuff.

Will say a LOT of the moves they have made the last couple of years seem like cost cutting moves. Also not sure Bart and Freems or Ramie and Allen were really working, at all. Could be they just got survey data back the pairings stunk and figured, why not save some money then.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#218 » by Siefer » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:27 pm

I haven't listened to a local sports radio show in....5+ years? For team centric content, LOB just runs circles around the best version of whatever the Milwaukee radio market has put out.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#219 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:13 am

Siefer wrote:I haven't listened to a local sports radio show in....5+ years? For team centric content, LOB just runs circles around the best version of whatever the Milwaukee radio market has put out.

Haven't listened to LOB for the last two years as I don't commute much any longer. I think the Fan and LOB serve two totally independent group of fans. Like 5 years ago, Gary Ellison was saying paying Derrick Rose 20M a year would fix our problems and Jason Kidd would know what to do with him.

Meanwhile LOB is talking about the dangers over hedging inside the paint because of the dangers of the Jazz throwing cross court and forcing weak side help to close out or risk giving up the wide open corner three on the hockey pass. My problem with LOB is once Eric got either the Athletic or ESPN beat report, he just seemed like a team mouthpiece. And lost interest from there.

There was another podcast that I am sure a bunch of you listened to, maybe Bucks in 6? Irish dude that was great to listen to, though the other guy would just constantly lose his train of thought. I think they also had a french dude on that was a bucks fan and deep into stats, but to be honest that has probably been over three years since I listened to that one. I always thought maybe pairing the Irish dude with Frank Madden or something could have been a winning combination.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#220 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:13 am

Tim is pretty brutal on everything, especially the homer Brewer takes but that's really all he can do but he needs someone to check him on those dumb takes but listeners aren't going to respond to a Cubs fan like Ramie doing the checking.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks