Re: Buyout Market Thread 

Post#161 » by stormi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Gasol would be amazing. Please
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,964

Post#162 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 am

Murray_17 wrote:Zero option he sign here, if he wants a buyout because he's the third center now in LA i don't see why he would sign here to play third center.

Why would we want him? He literally does nothing well at this point and is barely an average 3PT shooter. Lets move along.
Philly2good
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#163 » by Philly2good » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:43 am

Gasol is washed...No thanks
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,957

Post#164 » by Murray_17 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:23 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:Zero option he sign here, if he wants a buyout because he's the third center now in LA i don't see why he would sign here to play third center.

Why would we want him? He literally does nothing well at this point and is barely an average 3PT shooter. Lets move along.

Because being a barely average 3 point shooter means he at least can stretch the floor on line ups with Ben, he's still a good rim protector and finally he's a good passer on the halfcourt.

All stuff we need
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#165 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:32 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

Because being a barely avergae 3 point shooter means he at least can stretch the floor on line ups with Ben, he's still is a good rim protector and finally he's a good passer on the halfcourt.

All stuff we need

Except he is being left open. I actually misspoke he's actually slightly below average 3PT shooter now.

And here is the thing he can't run anymore. He doesn't rebound particularly well. He just isn't good and he keeps getting worse. No thanks we can find someone better on the buyout market or just mix in a small lineup with Howard and Embiid off the court.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#166 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 pm

Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts?

Who are we saving the cap space for? Hamidou Diallo and Bobby Portis?

Im pretty sure we’d never get to sign anyone as good as Al Horford with that freed up cap space.

I mean, if you really hate Al. Then sit him out for the entire season.

Or atleast let him play off the bench like how he did during the bubble.

Atleast you still have a 2025 1st round pick (most valuable 1st round pick compared to your next four first rounders (2021,2022,2023 and 2024).

You dont need Al? Look at how our roster is now with Mike Scott playing center.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#167 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm

The buyout market continues to be the biggest scam every year.

Unless you are located in LA or Miami or the consensus best team (Nets this season) , no one worthwhile is coming to you.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,957

Post#168 » by Murray_17 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:04 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Except he is being left open. I actually misspoke he's actually slightly below average 3PT shooter now.

And here is the thing he can't run anymore. He doesn't rebound particularly well. He just isn't good and he keeps getting worse. No thanks we can find someone better on the buyout market or just mix in a small lineup with Howard and Embiid off the court.

He's actually shooting at his career average and yes, he's rebounding half of his averages but also playing almost half the minutes he used to play. Those drops are pretty normal if you ask me.

Outside that, Dwight can't run either and i don't see the problem with him defending the paint, in fact, if you ask me, Gasol is probably a better defender on space than Dwight at this point.

Just saying "He just isn't good and he keeps getting worse" doesn't mean anything if you don't tell me how he is actually bad and getting worse. Yes, he's not an scorer but really, who cares? you don't sign him for points at this rate of his career.

Anyway, this discussion is moot because he isn't signing here to play third center anyways
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Post#169 » by zaz102 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:26 pm

76ciology wrote:Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts?

Im pretty sure we’d never get to sign anyone as good as Al Horford with that freed up cap space.

Atleast you still have a 2025 1st round pick (most valuable 1st round pick compared to your next four first rounders (2021,2022,2023 and 2024).

The issue was the salary flexibility. This year they could have added a starter that could play a lot of minutes and helped their odds. Something that they couldnt do with Horford.

I know they didn't get Lowry, but I assume they are going to do try add again next year.

An added plus for now is they added a starter in Green who would help a lot more than the perfect backup center playing 12 minutes a game.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#170 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm

76ciology wrote:Why did we have to give up a pick (which could be a deal breaker to the harden trade) and al horford for cap flexibility when you can get Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge for peanuts?

I mean Maledon would have been nice too but we don't have the ability to identify talent in the draft like OKC does.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,692

Post#171 » by Mik317 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Horford being here was bad juju lol.

He and Joel never meshed and despite him playing good guy in OKC..I highly doubt he would be okay with the Dwight role here.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#172 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:55 am

Does anyone think Redick will be bought out by the Mavs? They didn't exactly give up much for him. And they got Meli out of the deal.

JJ was pretty clear with his intentions to sign somewhere in the NY/PA area once he was bought out.

Do you think Cuban does him a favor from a human stand point and lets him go be with his family more?

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#173 » by sixerguy » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:14 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:The buyout market continues to be the biggest scam every year.

Unless you are located in LA or Miami or the consensus best team (Nets this season) , no one worthwhile is coming to you.

Quite funny coming from fans of Hinkie's "Process."
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#174 » by zaz102 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:35 pm

sixerguy wrote:
snoopdogg88 wrote:The buyout market continues to be the biggest scam every year.

I'm a fan of "The Process", but think the draft system was being gamed. The draft needed a revamp and so does the buy-out market. Hope they don't punish the Brooklyn GM/Lakers GM for it though and doubt they will.
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 217

Post#175 » by Embiid-MVP » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:50 pm

So we're not getting a single soul :(
:banghead:
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#176 » by sixerguy » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:51 pm

zaz102 wrote:
sixerguy wrote:

I'm a fan of "The Process", but think the draft system was being gamed. The draft needed a revamp and so does the buy-out market. Hope they don't punish the Brooklyn GM/Lakers GM for it though and doubt they will.

Should all buyouts be league approved so to protect the competitive balance of the league? If we're gonna start treating our players more as commodities (Poirier :lol: ) then maybe we should adopt more of the Federal Trading Commissions antitrust/anticompetitive laws.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#177 » by zaz102 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:03 pm

sixerguy wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
sixerguy wrote:

Should all buyouts be league approved so to protect the competitive balance of the league? If we're gonna start treating our players more as commodities (Poirier ) then maybe we should adopt more of the Federal Trading Commissions antitrust/anticompetitive laws.
There are a lot of options and I'm not going to act like I did an analysis to determine the best solution. But the IMO, the leagues goal should be allow variation of game play and strive for parity. Having the best teams get better players than the competition or the worst teams tanking are opposite than that.

Only caveat is I'm sure they want the bigger markets to be competitive, but I think that it's enough that they have the advantages for FAs. Which on a side note, it seems like the Knicks have been actively trying to be terrible to be so bad for so long.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#178 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:35 am

Philly2good wrote:Gasol is washed...No thanks

He’d be playing 2nd or even third stringer here.

All he has to do is play defense, pass for backdoor cuts and space the floor. The stuff big old guys do in YMCA gyms
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#179 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:18 am

If Marc Gasol gets bought out, he can start in Boston.
If Otto Porter gets bought out, he can start on Miami.
They're not signing here. Move on.

** Note: The Lakers aren't buying out Gasol, because they'd be afraid he'd immediately sign with the Clippers.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM

Post#180 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:34 am

LloydFree wrote:If Marc Gasol gets bought out, he can start in Boston.
If Otto Porter gets bought out, he can start on Miami.
They're not signing here. Move on.

** Note: The Lakers aren't buying out Gasol, because they'd be afraid he'd immediately sign with the Clippers.

:nod:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers