ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#761 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I said when we drafted him that it was a huge stroke of luck for the future of the team to get him at 27, but I had no idea he’d flash this much upside. His passing is fantastic - if he can develop a decent jumpshot he could be a Horfordesque facilitator.

My draft binkies usually end up sucking; Timelord is the rare exception. Can't wait to see how good he can be.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#762 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:48 pm

It is funny that he’s a much better offensive player than defensive at this point, who would have guessed that when we drafted him.

He’s a playmaker on defense, but he is still always out of position. This will get better with reps, I think.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#763 » by darrendaye » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:10 pm

Read on Twitter

I agree.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#764 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:37 pm

darrendaye wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree.

You are the conductor of the Rob Williams train.

It’s getting pretty full.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#765 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 pm

The article behind the Smitty quote is https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/shoot-033121-rob-williams-anticipates-another-big-jump-his-game

It's meatier than many such pieces.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#766 » by Homerclease » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:01 pm

The Comedian wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree.

Ahem
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#767 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 pm

Homerclease wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree.

Ahem

If it helps, when I think of Christian Wood or John Collins, you are literally the first thing that comes to mind.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#768 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:10 am

darrendaye wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree.

Me too big time. He has really matured. Very vocal on D. Sets quick, solid picks. Really quick passes with a lot of zip. Has not really played a lot of career games too. RWill has exceeded my expectations at present.
That's the Way of the World
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,893

Post#769 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:26 am

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#770 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:39 am

I just hope he references one of my posts during his induction speech.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,000

Post#771 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:50 am

RWill is 6-9, but he plays like he's 6-11.

Looks like the Celts found their Center of the future.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#772 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:16 am

Normally when you see a guy who does so much while in flight, it's one of the great guard/forward dunkers.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#773 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:32 am

This video (borrowed from the Fournier thread) includes Rob's great assist off a failed alley oop, and his pleasure with the play's success afterwards. Great stuff.

But after throwing the pass he stayed out of bounds and watched rather than running back in for a potential rebound.

Yeah, the kid has plenty of mental growth still ahead. :)

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#774 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:47 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:This video (borrowed from the Fournier thread) includes Rob's great assist off a failed alley oop, and his pleasure with the play's success afterwards. Great stuff.

But after throwing the pass he stayed out of bounds and watched rather than running back in for a potential rebound.

Yeah, the kid has plenty of mental growth still ahead. :)

Read on Twitter

The first part is sort of the baseline expectation from Stevens (not the difficulty of the pass per se, but passing in general).
The second part drives him crazy. You see him visibly frustrated when his players don't run back because they're celebrating a play or complaining to the ref.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#775 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:44 am

One of the best things about Timelord is how often he'll save a poor lob pass and keep the possession alive.

He saves so many turnovers that it makes it easier to take a shot on throwing him the lob. Feels like when he started getting significantly more run that guys were missing him on quite a few looks at the rim, but now it almost feels like they're looking for it too much, but with Rob's ability to corral errant or miss timed passes that's not a problem.

He's such an impact player, he plays with a gravity out there that makes things easier on all levels for the rest of the players. He's a cheat code with the lob, he moves the ball well, he's hit his stride playing D without fouling too much. I even think he's got a bit of stretch to his game with how smooth he's been with the occasional jumper.

Robert Williams III is making the leap this year.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#776 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:51 pm

Bostonic33
Sophomore
And1: 262

Post#777 » by Bostonic33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:24 pm

Robert really picked up his game this season. To be truly dominant, he will need to be a three point threat too. Al Horford didn't really start shooting treys until his eight season. My guess is Robert is already practicing... and will be a surprise long-distance weapon at playoff time like Aaron Baynes several years ago.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#778 » by Gomes3PC » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:00 pm

Bostonic33 wrote:Robert really picked up his game this season. To be truly dominant, he will need to be a three point threat too. Al Horford didn't really start shooting treys until his eight season. My guess is Robert is already practicing... and will be a surprise long-distance weapon at playoff time like Aaron Baynes several years ago.

I don't think that is the case honestly. He will need to add some sort of basic mid-post dribble/drive game like Bam has, and become a 70%+ FT shooter. With his vertical game at the rim, he spaces the floor in a different way.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,402

Post#779 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:28 pm

Watching him play makes me miss Rondo even more. You can count 9-10 possessions every game where Williams is open or a simple lob would generate an easy two points...but our team is filled with guys with remarkably poor court vision and poor passing tools. This guy could average 20 or more playing with a Rondo or Chris Paul type of player.

No more slander on Rozier’s name. Tatum is officially the worst lobber in C’s history lol
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#780 » by RickyDizzle » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:45 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Watching him play makes me miss Rondo even more. You can count 9-10 possessions every game where Williams is open or a simple lob would generate an easy two points...but our team is filled with guys with remarkably poor court vision and poor passing tools. This guy could average 20 or more playing with a Rondo or Chris Paul type of player.

No more slander on Rozier’s name. Tatum is officially the worst lobber in C’s history lol

Unfortuneatly the two biggest offenders are Tatum and Brown... A lot of dribbling and trying to shake their man while guarded as Williams and others are flashing and going unnoticed.

Return to Boston Celtics