Official Trade Thread -- Part XL

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XL 

Post#1361 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:10 pm

gambitx777 wrote:With out beating my he against the wall here. I would push towards a Lonzo ball sign and trade and not anything to do with bledsoe.
Ruzious wrote:If NO gets a top 3 pick, I think the trade should focus on Beal for that pick, NAW and Kira Lewis. Now, if we can get some additional picks in there, that's great, but the focus of the trade should be the top 3 pick and 2 exciting young players like NAW and Lewis. Bledsoe is filler that makes the trade legal.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

The draft is long before the free agency period. You can't make a trade on draft day and use a signed-and-traded free agent as salary filler.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1362 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:NO would absolutely do NAW+Hayes+Bledsoe+2021 first (assuming it's top4) for Beal.

You could probably get one more #1 out of them too, because none of that touches their core and leaves enough powder in the cupboard to finish the team. It might not be another premium pick, but a mid-first? Sure.

EDIT: On reflection, NO would definitely do more picks. Either two "premium" firsts, or the top-4 2021 and a bucket of lesser picks. I think they'd want to keep a little draft capital in the cupboard. Though if you weren't taking NAW, who the team is pretty high on, you could get more.

One thing interesting about New Orleans is that the Stepien Rule is not a factor because of the picks they have coming their way from the JRue trade. They could conceivably trade their 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks and still have a first round pick every other year.

New Orleans, if they land a top 4 pick, would definitely be the best trade partner for Beal. He is a perfect fit on their roster, and they have the assets (assuming they land a top 4 pick), filler, and luxtax flexibility to make a deal work with ease.

A deal starting with their 2021 top 4 pick, NAW and Bledsoe is a good foundation. From there, it's just a matter of how many extra assets the Wizards can extract from New Orleans. I'm not a big fan of Hayes, but he'd probably have to be included to make salaries match. (New Orleans has the cap room to do the deal without him, but then they'd have to renounce all of their cap exceptions which would make it difficult to fill out their roster.) I'd go hard for a 2022 pick and hopefully one more after that.

Does anybody know if they could agree to a deal in principle around draft day (using Bledsoe Hayes and Iwundu as "filler") and then alter the deal after the free agency period where they could use a resigned Josh Hart as the filler to replace Hayes and Iwundu?

At least according to Trade Checker, it works with Beal for Bledsoe, NAW, and Lewis. I'd much rather have Lewis than Hayes. Lewis at 19 is maybe the fastest player in the NBA and starting to show he can play. Hayes seems to be a limited center.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1363 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Illuminaire wrote:NO would absolutely do NAW+Hayes+Bledsoe+2021 first (assuming it's top4) for Beal.

You could probably get one more #1 out of them too, because none of that touches their core and leaves enough powder in the cupboard to finish the team. It might not be another premium pick, but a mid-first? Sure.

EDIT: On reflection, NO would definitely do more picks. Either two "premium" firsts, or the top-4 2021 and a bucket of lesser picks. I think they'd want to keep a little draft capital in the cupboard. Though if you weren't taking NAW, who the team is pretty high on, you could get more.

One thing interesting about New Orleans is that the Stepien Rule is not a factor because of the picks they have coming their way from the JRue trade. They could conceivably trade their 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks and still have a first round pick every other year.

New Orleans, if they land a top 4 pick, would definitely be the best trade partner for Beal. He is a perfect fit on their roster, and they have the assets (assuming they land a top 4 pick), filler, and luxtax flexibility to make a deal work with ease.

A deal starting with their 2021 top 4 pick, NAW and Bledsoe is a good foundation. From there, it's just a matter of how many extra assets the Wizards can extract from New Orleans. I'm not a big fan of Hayes, but he'd probably have to be included to make salaries match. (New Orleans has the cap room to do the deal without him, but then they'd have to renounce all of their cap exceptions which would make it difficult to fill out their roster.) I'd go hard for a 2022 pick and hopefully one more after that.

Does anybody know if they could agree to a deal in principle around draft day (using Bledsoe Hayes and Iwundu as "filler") and then alter the deal after the free agency period where they could use a resigned Josh Hart as the filler to replace Hayes and Iwundu?

At least according to Trade Checker, it works with Beal for Bledsoe, NAW, and Lewis. I'd much rather have Lewis than Hayes. Lewis at 19 is maybe the fastest player in the NBA and starting to show he can play. Hayes seems to be a limited center.

I think that's using salaries from this season. Beal gets a significant raise next year, bumping his salary from $28M to $34M. I think more filler is needed.

I'm cool with including Lewis.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#1364 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I'm touching their core. I'm looking at NO and I see Ingram & Zion not fitting together.

I want Ingram, NAW & the top 4 pick. Anything else seems light.

Not interested in Bledsoe or Hayes at all.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1365 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:20 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:One thing interesting about New Orleans is that the Stepien Rule is not a factor because of the picks they have coming their way from the JRue trade. They could conceivably trade their 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks and still have a first round pick every other year.

I think that's using salaries from this season. Beal gets a significant raise next year, bumping his salary from $28M to $34M. I think more filler is needed.

I'm cool with including Lewis.

Yeah, I don't know whether or not it'll work - it'll be close because all the players are getting raises.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1366 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:20 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Cool story bro. A top 3 pick as the core piece, yes. Along with other stuff, of course! It all depends who lands it tho. Just like the Minny pick would come with Wiseman and other stuff, any other package for Beal would have some secondary and tertiary options as well. No one is suggesting a Beal for a single pick swap which would be impossible anyways.

What I'm against is trading for a hodge podge of future late picks, meaningless pick swaps, and b-level assets. Basically what Houston got for Harden. Usually the team giving up the best player loses he deal so as GM you should do your best to close that talent gap as much as possible, don't settle for scraps and you don't build contenders for other teams - like your trying to do with the Pels roster (something Wizards should take to heart based on past experiences).

I agree with all of this. However, I'm not so sure Houston did so poorly on that Harden trade. That hodgepodge of picks includes the Brooklyn 1st round picks from 2024 and 2026, plus pick swaps in 2025 and 2027. In 2026, Durant will be 38 and surely out of the league. Kyrie will be 34 and likely will have flaked out by then, and Harden will be 37 if he is still even on the roster after Durant and Kyrie had departed. In the meantime, they will have added no young players, getting by with just ring chasing vets and minimum salary guys as depth.

Those late picks are likely to be in the lottery. They're far in the future, but the value is there. Houston is going to have a couple of years in the wilderness, but after tanking for a couple of years in 2022-24, they should build up a young core which will then be infused with a bunch more talent in the 2nd half of the decade.

Meh.. The Houston GM made a trade for a bunch of picks he probably won't even be around to use. He basically got them for the next GM.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1367 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:One thing interesting about New Orleans is that the Stepien Rule is not a factor because of the picks they have coming their way from the JRue trade. They could conceivably trade their 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 picks and still have a first round pick every other year.

I'm touching their core. I'm looking at NO and I see Ingram & Zion not fitting together.

There's zero chance NO includes Ingram. Try suggesting that in the Trade Forum to see what pleasant responses you get.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1368 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'm touching their core. I'm looking at NO and I see Ingram & Zion not fitting together.

I honestly hadn't considered that. I just assumed Ingram was untouchable, but the more I think about it, the more I think they might be open-minded to it. Ingram is good, but there are clearly chemistry issues between him and Zion where Ingram really believes it's his team. Also, a team with Zion at the 4 really needs a more defensive-minded SF alongside him. If they're adding Beal as the primary perimeter scorer, they might be better off with a top shelf 3&D guy at SF rather than Ingram. Finally, going forward, they may not want to carry a supermax salary for Beal, and supermax salary for Zion, and a max salary for Ingram. They might be happier paying a good 3&D forward $18M rather than Ingram at $32M.

All that said, I feel like Ingram plus a top 4 pick for Beal seems pretty even in value. I'm not sure if we're getting anything more and maybe we have to throw a little bit more into the deal. Maybe we throw in Avdija to get back Kira Lewis and NAW? It balances both rosters nicely.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1369 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:29 pm

Dat2U wrote:Meh.. The Houston GM made a trade for a bunch of picks he probably won't even be around to use. He basically got them for the next GM.

True.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1370 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I'm touching their core. I'm looking at NO and I see Ingram & Zion not fitting together.

I honestly hadn't considered that. I just assumed Ingram was untouchable, but the more I think about it, the more I think they might be open-minded to it. Ingram is good, but there are clearly chemistry issues between him and Zion where Ingram really believes it's his team. Also, a team with Zion at the 4 really needs a more defensive-minded SF alongside him. If they're adding Beal as the primary perimeter scorer, they might be better off with a top shelf 3&D guy at SF rather than Ingram. Finally, going forward, they may not want to carry a supermax salary for Beal, and supermax salary for Zion, and a max salary for Ingram. They might be happier paying a good 3&D forward $18M rather than Ingram at $32M.

All that said, I feel like Ingram plus a top 4 pick for Beal seems pretty even in value. I'm not sure if we're getting anything more and maybe we have to throw a little bit more into the deal. Maybe we throw in Avdija to get back Kira Lewis and NAW? It balances both rosters nicely.

At this point, nobody is going to get Beal for defensive purposes. That train has long-since passed. And with Ingram's tremendous length, he actually can become a top defensive 3 - much like Durant developed into an outstanding defender. And with Ingram signed up to a contract he can't opt out of, he likely has more trade value than Beal now. To think we can get a top 4 pick in addition - plus NAW - is... wildly optimistic.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1371 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:06 pm

Ruzious wrote: And with Ingram's tremendous length, he actually can become a top defensive 3 - much like Durant developed into an outstanding defender. And with Ingram signed up to a contract he can't opt out of, he likely has more trade value than Beal now. To think we can get a top 4 pick in addition - plus NAW - is... wildly optimistic.

When did Ingram morph into a good defender? The tools have always been there but never actualized. He's never been regarded as elite on that end. There are no statistical measures that show he's even above average. His DRPM is negative right now. I honestly wasn't expecting "Ingram can be a top 3 defender" as a response lol.

And Ingram having more value than Beal? I'm sure NO fans might say that, but I doubt that's the consensus around the league.

Therw are also legitimate questions about the fit b/w Zion & Ingram coming out of NO.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1372 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote: And with Ingram's tremendous length, he actually can become a top defensive 3 - much like Durant developed into an outstanding defender. And with Ingram signed up to a contract he can't opt out of, he likely has more trade value than Beal now. To think we can get a top 4 pick in addition - plus NAW - is... wildly optimistic.

When did Ingram morph into a good defender? The tools have always been there but never actualized. He's never been regarded as elite on that end. There are no statistical measures that show he's even above average. His DRPM is negative right now. I honestly wasn't expecting "Ingram can be a top 3 defender" as a response lol.

And Ingram having more value than Beal? I'm sure NO fans might say that, but I doubt that's the consensus around the league.

Therw are also legitimate questions about the fit b/w Zion & Ingram coming out of NO.

OMG, stop with the BS and read what I siad - I said "he actually can become a top defensive 3" - not that he is. And tell me what those stats you mentioned are for Beal. And you've seen Beal get overmatched time and again on switches because he's short. Guys like D'Aaron Fox shoot game-winning jumpers right over the top of him. And compare Ingram's stats to Beal's at the same age - he's easily better. He's 4 years younger with a much better contract - just use logic to determine who's got more trade value.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#1373 » by Dat2U » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

OMG, stop with the BS and read what I siad - I said "he actually can become a top defensive 3" - not that he is. And tell me what those stats you mentioned are for Beal. And you've seen Beal get overmatched time and again on switches because he's short. Guys like D'Aaron Fox shoot game-winning jumpers right over the top of him. And compare Ingram's stats to Beal's at the same age - he's easily better. He's 4 years younger with a much better contract - just use logic to determine who's got more trade value.

Your the one that's making case for Ingram that literally no one else is making. Is his defense better than Beal's? Sure he's significantly taller and plays a different position but don't make him into something he has shown minimal effort in proving and then lash out when questioned on it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1374 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:05 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Your the one that's making case for Ingram that literally no one else is making. Is his defense better than Beal's? Sure he's significantly taller and plays a different position but don't make him into something he has shown minimal effort in proving and then lash out when questioned on it.

Nobody made the case for it, because "literally" nobody brought it up until this discussion. Have you seen anyone suggest a Beal trade involving Ingram until today? And I gotta laugh at your explanation - as if we should take off points for Ingram because he's got an unfair advantage in height. And yeah, I'm gonna call you out for bs arguments. You'd do the same for me, right? And that's one of the reasons I respect you and enjoy your posts.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1375 » by DCZards » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

I believe Beal currently has more trade value than Ingram…but BI is an outstanding young player (who's only getting better) and I do agree that, regardless of how bad Ingram’s fit with Zion might be, it’s wishful thinking to believe that NO is going to give up Ingram, the 4th pick in the draft AND other stuff (like NAW) for Beal.

The Pels might trade Ingram and the pick for Beal, but even that’s an open question.

And that shot Fox made over Beal, D'Aaron would have made that shot over most NBA players…unless it was a big man, like 6-10 or taller. BB was actually in good defensive position…Fox, who is a damn good player in his own right, was just better at that moment. :D
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1376 » by dckingsfan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:50 pm

I think that NO would do the Ingram, the 4th pick in the draft and other assets for Beal. I guess we need a poll.

But the point is IF NO would do the trade - it would be a good move given where we are at...

There is one thing though - the offer would need to come from NO because there are no secrets. If Tommy reached out it would doom his relationship with Beal.

Roll play:

Trajan: So, what would it take to pry Beal from you guys?
Tommy: Really not available.
Trajan: But hypothetically?
Tommy: (laughing) Ingram, NAW, the fourth pick and a second rounder in 2021.
Trajan: Done!

or

Trajan: So, what would it take to pry Beal from you guys?
Tommy: Really not available.
Trajan: But hypothetically?
Tommy: (laughing) Ingram, NAW, the fourth pick and a second rounder in 2021.
Trajan: You have to be kidding.
Tommy: Like I said, he isn't available.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#1377 » by Shoe » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:02 pm

If Beal leaves, it's probably through free agency. The Wizards will be willing to take this to the 2022 offseason and make a pitch alongside other teams.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1378 » by Illuminaire » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:36 pm

I don't think NO would do Ingram and a top-4 pick in a strong draft. I've said before, I think you can build a package around their premium picks, or you can build a package around Ingram, but you have to choose which.

The simple fact is that if NO wants to move Ingram, we can do it, and we can get a decent haul. He's a hyper talented 23 year old with insane length and decent athleticism. As much as we pull our hair out about him taking touches from Zion, he's got a lot of skill - and value.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1379 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:22 pm

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I don't have a lot of interest in Brandon Ingram. He's already played 5 years in the league, & so far, in @10,000 minutes on an NBA floor, he has not been all that good.

In his last two seasons, he's become a good scorer -- above average usage & above average TS%. Other than that, he's been just about average overall in every other statistical category.

Don't get me wrong -- that describes a good player! But... it doesn't describe a player I want to give $131m over the next 4 years. Not a chance.

I doubt there's a deal to be made here, but if so it would start with their high pick, Josh Hart, Jaxson Hayes, Kira Lewis, & multiple other picks (including the return of our R2 pick this year). I'd be interested in NA-W, but that's taking a flyer.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1380 » by gambitx777 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:48 pm

I wasn't thinking of that. Is it possibly to do one of those expiring contract trades before the league year ends at the end of the season ? Then he's just a RFA with us which isn't that good. But if doable we could use it as leveray to get more stuff, I can't remember how that works. I've seen teams do stuff like that but don't know the rules off the top of my head.
nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:With out beating my he against the wall here. I would push towards a Lonzo ball sign and trade and not anything to do with bledsoe.
Ruzious wrote:If NO gets a top 3 pick, I think the trade should focus on Beal for that pick, NAW and Kira Lewis. Now, if we can get some additional picks in there, that's great, but the focus of the trade should be the top 3 pick and 2 exciting young players like NAW and Lewis. Bledsoe is filler that makes the trade legal.

The draft is long before the free agency period. You can't make a trade on draft day and use a signed-and-traded free agent as salary filler.

Return to Washington Wizards