Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Re: Garrison Mathews - Professional Shooter 

Post#141 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter

At the start of the season, sources said, the NBPA was against increasing the two-way games limit past 50 games for two reasons: not wanting NBA teams to use them as substitutes for signing players to full roster spots, and to give players currently on two-way contracts leverage to attempt to get converted to standard NBA contracts themselves.

The expected agreement, however, will address those concerns. The players currently on two-way deals will be paid at the standard NBA minimum rate once they go past the 50-game limit -- allowing them to make the same money as if they would have been converted to a standard contract, sources said. And, given the season is half over and teams are still navigating trying to complete the regular season amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the potential fears about players on two-ways being used in place of full roster spots have lessened.

Well, I guess that issue is resolved. Mathews will stay on a 2-way contract but start getting paid a vet-minimum salary once he gets past the 50-game limit.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#142 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:13 pm

Yup.

But... will this cause us a luxury tax problem? Or, despite the raise, do these 2 way guys still not count against cap/tax?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#143 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:21 pm

payitforward wrote:Yup.

But... will this cause us a luxury tax problem? Or, despite the raise, do these 2 way guys still not count against cap/tax?

Sportrac says we have about $800K in luxtax room, so it shouldn't be an issue even if the extra money does count against the tax.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#144 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:29 pm

payitforward wrote:
payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:Glad he is finally getting time. Certainly he has validated all of us bitching about his DNPs.

Still needs more touches though.

This is the problem with him starting -- the touches aren't available w/ Beal & Westbrook on the floor.

We lost to Boston last night by 1 point.

In our 240 total player-minutes, we took 84 shots.

The starters played 129 minutes & took 61 shots -- 51 of those were by Beal & Westbrook. The other starters got 10 shots.

Conclusion: if you start alongside Brad & Russ, you don't get to shoot the ball.

OTOH, the bench (6 guys last night: Bertans, Avdija, Neto, Lopez, Len & Bonga) played 111 minutes & took only 23 shots. Of those 6, only Bertans is an excellent shooter with a high TS%, while Lopez & Len score on opportunities around the basket.

Conclusion: the Wizards bench lacks fire-power.

Thus, it is really foolish to start Garrison Mathews. It's a waste of a resource. It would be far better for him to come off the bench -- & mostly to play with Bertans also on the floor.

I would expect this to be good for Bertans as well. Note that in 26 minutes last night, Davis only got 9 shots! In fact, I believe that most of his open looks are in transition. With another shooter/scorer on the floor, that might get better. He might have more good looks off passes.

Make sense? Discuss, please.

Mathews needs to tell Westbrook and Beal pass the ball when he is open. The smooth way to do it is to say “Thanks for looking for me guys when I’m open”. Even if you know they haven’t been passing the ball.

Once the Wizards start using a hockey assist they will win more games. The ball will swing to Bertans once in a while. Davis should shoot when his feet are set and he has enough time to release the ball. However, he should pass whenever the defense closes on him. Mathews needs to be spotting up ready to shoot on the catch.

Beal and Westbrook need a coach who will remind them of how much more often the Wizards win when Beal has 5 or more assists.

When Rui has attempted three or more free throws I believe the Wizards have not lost more than once or twice.

I am actually encouraged by what is a very correctable error. Westbrook has be mindful and Beal needs to as well. Share the ball! Russ will pass to anyone but sometimes he and Beal look at the opponent and try to go hero .

I don’t know if Garrison should not start. It does seem like Bonga would be better as a starter.
Bye bye Beal.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#145 » by smoothSeph » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

It’d be nice if Russ or Beal passed the kid the ball.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#146 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 pm

In 900 NBA minutes he has a 67.4% TS. The wizards would be smart to lock him up to a 4 year deal and give him 28+ minutes a night and 10+ shot attempts.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#147 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:35 pm

NatP4 wrote:In 900 NBA minutes he has a 67.4% TS. The wizards would be smart to lock him up to a 4 year deal and give him 28+ minutes a night and 10+ shot attempts.

I really do hope they lock him up. I'm not quite ready to give him 28+ minutes though. It's a little difficult to play a guy at the SG position on offense when he is unable to handle secondary ball-handling duties because he can't dribble. If we acquired a playmaking forward, or if Avdija developed into that player, then it gets much easier.

For now, Mathews must play the SF role on offense, and he's a little too undersized to man the SF position defensively. I'm not hating. The guy has been a revelation for an undrafted walk-on. But he isn't a full time starter on a half-decent team, at least not one without a playmaking wing to offset his weakness.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#148 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:In 900 NBA minutes he has a 67.4% TS. The wizards would be smart to lock him up to a 4 year deal and give him 28+ minutes a night and 10+ shot attempts.

I really do hope they lock him up. I'm not quite ready to give him 28+ minutes though. It's a little difficult to play a guy at the SG position on offense when he is unable to handle secondary ball-handling duties because he can't dribble. If we acquired a playmaking forward, or if Avdija developed into that player, then it gets much easier.

For now, Mathews must play the SF role on offense, and he's a little too undersized to man the SF position defensively. I'm not hating. The guy has been a revelation for an undrafted walk-on. But he isn't a full time starter on a half-decent team, at least not one without a playmaking wing to offset his weakness.

Not fooling anyone, Scott. :noway:
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#149 » by verbal8 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:16 am

Does any one else see a Dan Majerle comp? Matthews is probably a better shooter, but not as strong on the boards.

https://stathead.com/tiny/4c9cF
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#150 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:40 pm

verbal8 wrote:Does any one else see a Dan Majerle comp? Matthews is probably a better shooter, but not as strong on the boards.

A little bit. I want to compare Mathews to Redick, but Mathews looks to be a bigger, better defender than Redick so I can see why the Majerle comparison comes into play.

Majerle was a rugged defender who made a couple of All-Defense 2nd teams. I don't see Mathews ever being that good defensively, particularly on the ball, but I can see him being somewhere between Majerle and Redick. Not as good as Redick coming off screens in motion, but better defensively, and not as good as Majerle on defense, but a better shooter.

It'll interesting to see how much better Mathews can get over time. He has become noticeably stronger, and I think that can continue a bit. Hopefully, he'll develop a little bit of a dribble game so he can execute secondary pick and roll like Redick can. I'd also like to see Brooks use him in pindowns and coming of screens. Mathews can definitely do more than stand in the corner.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#151 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:29 pm

I can't see the comp, tbh. Thunder Dan was a quality athlete and a much bigger/stronger guy. Mathews is a nice role player playing out of position at the 3 who out-works everyone.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#152 » by DCZards » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:33 pm

verbal8 wrote:Does any one else see a Dan Majerle comp? Matthews is probably a better shooter, but not as strong on the boards.

Majerle was an outstanding all-around player who was good enough to make a USA Olympic team. Dan was tough and physical on both ends of the floor. Garrison is not in his league...despite what some numbers might say.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#153 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:28 pm

Oh please... he doesn't even look like Dan Majerle!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#154 » by gambitx777 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:52 am

He's an ok defender but many brooks does not use him right at all .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
RealGM

Post#155 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:50 pm

smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

It’d be nice if Russ or Beal passed the kid the ball.

It would be even nicer if they had a coach smart enough to emphasize this to his two star guard legends. Pass the ball to Garrison a little bit more fellows.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#156 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:I can't see the comp, tbh. Thunder Dan was a quality athlete and a much bigger/stronger guy. Mathews is a nice role player playing out of position at the 3 who out-works everyone.

The only comparison is they are both white. OK both white and in the 6’4” to 6’7” range. Thunder Dan was great deal more above-the-rim. We have a quicker first step in my opinion. Garrison is strong similar to Dan. Mathews is a lot more tentative.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#157 » by closg00 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:45 pm

With the signing of Caleb Homesley, it appears that the org is going in a different direction with Mr. Matthews
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#158 » by JAR69 » Sun May 16, 2021 2:01 pm

closg00 wrote:With the signing of Caleb Homesley, it appears that the org is going in a different direction with Mr. Matthews

I was wondering that, too. It would seem crazy, tho.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
RealGM

Post#159 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 pm

Garrison Mathews or Aaron Wiggins?

Next season
Bye bye Beal.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#160 » by badinage » Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 am

closg00 wrote:With the signing of Caleb Homesley, it appears that the org is going in a different direction with Mr. Matthews

Don’t think so.

Return to Washington Wizards