ImageImageImageImage

What/Who is the archtype player to add to this young core?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

What/Who is the archtype player to add to this young core? 

Post#1 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:45 pm

Obviously, we need a superstar...at any position, but with what we have now, what (or who) would say is the perfect type of player to add to this team. What skillsets would compliment and elevate a roster of Fultz, Cole, RJ, JI, Okeke, WCJ, & Mo? Which current (or past or future) player would best exemplify what we need?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Re: What/Who is the archtype player to add to this young core? 

Post#2 » by Nyce_1 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:49 pm

Without a dominant big here, I can/want/expect to see Markelle being the same type of player he was at UW. I still believe he can be that (and surpass it) and I'd want the ball to always be in his hands. With that understanding, in my opinion, the perfect type of player would be a low-usage good shooter with size, defensively versatile, high IQ, and have secondary playmaking skills (can dribble and run PnR). Doesn't have to have elite athleticism but knows how to utilize what he has. This type of player is also a great fit next to JI & Chuma (need a nickname for this combo).

Who best fits that mold in today's league? I think a Klay Thompson type would be ideal. Shooting, good defender, high IQ, unselfish, versatile.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:51 pm

An elite playmaking point guard is what I'd be looking to pair next to Isaac/Okeke/WCJ. RJ projects as a combo guard long term so he could play next to a Cunningham or Suggs. Fultz is an afterthought to me at this point && Cole hasn't shown me enough either. Those 3 I named are the only potential core pieces in my eyes at this stage, so I'd be looking for a guard to elevate them.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#4 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:31 pm

I'd be pleased to draft any of the young wings who can score (Cunningham, Suggs, Green) but Cunningham, IMO, presents the real ideal to drop in at Point Forward/SF/Big SG...a fiery competitor who can play on ball or off, who has the mentality and ability to take over a game offensively and the size and agility to defend anywhere he needs to and get big rebounds in traffic and turn and go...We need more than a role player at this point, we need a focal point and fierce leader. He MUST be able to spread the floor but, ideally, a lot more than a role playing spot up 3 & D guy (that's the CHI pick). Could Cunningham be a TMac type?...not known as a big defender or rebounder but, when that's what we need, he goes and gets the big rebound or tip-in or defensive stop....needless to say, this guy scores 20 ppg in his sleep...not the way Vuc or Fournier do it. He needs to be able to do it like Kobe - where if you don't adjust quick, he's going for 55.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,489

Post#5 » by Skybox » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:33 pm

More than anything....BBIQ and a fierce competitive nature.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#6 » by zaymon » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:35 pm

We need a lead ball handler. We are propably set at center and both forward positions. We need playmaking wing or guard. Someone like Jalen Green with better decision making, Cade Cunningham with better athletecism or Jalen Suggs with better shot making.
To be honest we are quite balanced as a team next season. Hampton role is the least obvious to me. Are we trading Ross in the offseason ?
We will propably have to make decision on one of our centers replacing him with forward center hybrid. Scottie Barnes, Jalen Johnson with Bulls pick ?
From current players any of Curry, Lillard, Lebron, Leonard, Harden, Butler, Durant would transform us into contenders.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#7 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:48 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Without a dominant big here, I can/want/expect to see Markelle being the same type of player he was at UW. I still believe he can be that (and surpass it) and I'd want the ball to always be in his hands. With that understanding, in my opinion, the perfect type of player would be a low-usage good shooter with size, defensively versatile, high IQ, and have secondary playmaking skills (can dribble and run PnR). Doesn't have to have elite athleticism but knows how to utilize what he has. This type of player is also a great fit next to JI & Chuma (need a nickname for this combo).

Who best fits that mold in today's league? I think a Klay Thompson type would be ideal. Shooting, good defender, high IQ, unselfish, versatile.

The thing that stopped Fultz from becoming the player he was at Washington was the shoulder injury. That's it. He played with one of the best offensive bigs for over a season and was still statistically arguably the worst starting guard in the league. Embiid was the big he had in Philly.

He's never going to be that player. We have to stop with the excuses and with spreading the narrative that he will be. Fultz is not a budding superstar or a building block going forward.

There is still shine to him with the number one pick status && the highlight layup or pass he will pull out once a game, but it's just shine at this point.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,907

Post#8 » by Knightro » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:34 pm

It sounds obvious because just about every team in the NBA wants and needs this, but a three level perimeter based scorer (threes, at rim, at FT line) who can also create easy shots for others is that one thing the Magic have lacked for so long.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,052

Post#9 » by The Effect » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:53 pm

Knightro wrote:It sounds obvious because just about every team in the NBA wants and needs this, but a three level perimeter based scorer (threes, at rim, at FT line) who can also create easy shots for others is that one thing the Magic have lacked for so long.

This is what i was gonna say
The #1 thing this team is missing is a legit, go-to scorer\creator. A guy you can give the ball to on any play and say go get me a basket
Cole is the guy i have the highest hope of being that guy soon, but i dont think hes gonna be elite at that

I mean i really think the perfect fit for us right now would be Bradley Beal as he can do it all offensively. Dame as well.
So in the draft, find me the guy whose game and ceiling most closely resembles those guys. To me thats Green. Suggs looks like he has it in him too, obviously Cade, but top choice to me would be Green
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,502

Post#10 » by penny_nz » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:59 pm

The Effect wrote:
Knightro wrote:It sounds obvious because just about every team in the NBA wants and needs this, but a three level perimeter based scorer (threes, at rim, at FT line) who can also create easy shots for others is that one thing the Magic have lacked for so long.

This is what i was gonna say
The #1 thing this team is missing is a legit, go-to scorer\creator. A guy you can give the ball to on any play and say go get me a basket
Cole is the guy i have the highest hope of being that guy soon, but i dont think hes gonna be elite at that

I mean i really think the perfect fit for us right now would be Bradley Beal as he can do it all offensively. Dame as well.
So in the draft, find me the guy whose game and ceiling most closely resembles those guys. To me thats Green. Suggs looks like he has it in him too, obviously Cade, but top choice to me would be Green

That's where my minds at, the SG/SF 3 level wing scorer, the T Mac type, Tatum, not a lead guard who is a playmaker by nature.

I think we have guards on our roster who can still do that role, be the primary playmaker, but we need another ball dominant scoring creator and secondary playmaker. You pair that with our current roster:
Fultz / Cole
NEW
Okeke
Isaac
WCJ / Bamba

I reckon that's a deadly mix of spot up shooting/ scoring, elite defense and would use Okeke and Isaac in an optimal way on offense I.e. a major role, but not a focal point.

So, basically an all star calibre wing haha
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#11 » by Bensational » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:31 pm

Just thinking about the combos of players it’s taken to win a championship lately:

LeBron + AD
Kawhi + Lowry + Siakam + Gasol
Curry + Klay (+ Dray + Durant + Iggy)
LeBron + Kyrie + Love
Duncan + Kawhi + Manu + Parker
LeBron + Wade + Bosh
Dirk (+ old Kidd and co)

You need a superstar AND another player who would be a franchise player for any other team at least to be in the conversation and that’s not even a guarantee.

Personally, the names I see moving in to replace LeBron and then Curry/Durant are Luka, Giannis, Jokic, with Embiid, Trae, Zion and possibly Morant being in the mix after that. Probably a couple obvious ones I’m forgetting right now.

I think Cade, Suggs, Green and Kuminga all fit one of those modern archetypes above closely enough. But one won’t be enough. I can’t stop dreaming of TWO of them.

I don’t see any of Isaac, Fultz, Okeke, WCJ, Cole, Bamba or Hampton on track to join those ranks, but I’m very hopeful that changes.

Hopefully we get 2 good picks in this draft and can have the formation of a future dynasty over night.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#12 » by Ducklett » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:50 pm

Bensational wrote:Just thinking about the combos of players it’s taken to win a championship lately:

LeBron + AD
Kawhi + Lowry + Siakam + Gasol
Curry + Klay (+ Dray + Durant + Iggy)
LeBron + Kyrie + Love
Duncan + Kawhi + Manu + Parker
LeBron + Wade + Bosh
Dirk (+ old Kidd and co)

You need a superstar AND another player who would be a franchise player for any other team at least to be in the conversation and that’s not even a guarantee.

Personally, the names I see moving in to replace LeBron and then Curry/Durant are Luka, Giannis, Jokic, with Embiid, Trae, Zion and possibly Morant being in the mix after that. Probably a couple obvious ones I’m forgetting right now.

I think Cade, Suggs, Green and Kuminga all fit one of those modern archetypes above closely enough. But one won’t be enough. I can’t stop dreaming of TWO of them.

I don’t see any of Isaac, Fultz, Okeke, WCJ, Cole, Bamba or Hampton on track to join those ranks, but I’m very hopeful that changes.

Hopefully we get 2 good picks in this draft and can have the formation of a future dynasty over night.

Stop dreaming of even 1 of them.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#13 » by EAS Law » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:53 pm

The problem is that if we don’t win the championship within the first two contracts, they’re out regardless of who we get.

We need a brand new Dame Lillard honestly. Maybe two.
CLosP
Sophomore
And1: 307

Post#14 » by CLosP » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:14 pm

Go to scorer as a couple people mentioned above. We need that guy that can get us a bucket. Then another 3/D wing who can play both wing positions. We have guards and bigs we need that big time scorer and another shooter who can defend.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#15 » by Skin » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:05 am

According to the posters in our game threads, we don't need anything. We just need to keep on winning meaningless games.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,764

Post#16 » by OrlandoNed » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:53 am

Dumb question. A elite 1st option scorer aka a superstar.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#17 » by p0peye » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:13 am

Playmaking, shooting and scoring at PG, SG and SF positions to suplement Isaac at PF and WCJ at C, with Okeke as 6th man. If we are talking about true contender team, it should be two superstars and a really good shooter and defender. Depending on which two positions we fill with superstars, Harris, or resigned Otto Porter could perhaps fill remaining starter position. Bench might still lack a punch. In short, we probably should find a core to this "core".
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#18 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:06 am

We need an elite playmaker who can also score.

I think most of who we have now project to be role players or elite role players at best but non superstar potential.

Except for Isaac, except that is defensively speaking.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#19 » by Skin » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:35 am

Yea, everyone has been right. We need that #1 go to, lead, scoring All-Star caliber player. Would be nice to get one of Cade, Suggs, Green... but that's not lookin' real good for us right now. If it happens, that's Plan A... A lot of teams have become contenders by building through the draft... Golden St, Utah, Denver, Philly, Milwaukee... but what's Plan B? C?

I say Plan B can be Beal. B stands for Bradley Beal!

Magic won't trade for him unless they are convinced that he would sign an extension with us. Beal is on the hook for next season, but at the end of it, he has a Player Option. Washington has to be worried about it. They could be more interested in trading him more than ever before. So would the Magic have enough to entice him to sign a new deal with us? Hard to say... but we saw CP3 force his way to PHX to join a team that Booker, Bridges, Ayton... We saw Butler choose to sign a new deal with Miami to join Dragic, Herro, Adebayo... DO WE HAVE A CORE OF YOUNG PLAYERS THAT COULD CONVINCE A STAR TO COME HERE???

When we were lead by Vucevic, Fournier and Gordon, the answer was always NO. But now, we have a chance. A real chance. It all starts with a healthy return of Fultz and Isaac. With Chuma and WCj emerging, we just might have a little more than a chance.

PG Markelle Fultz / Cole Anthony
SG Bradley Beal / Gary Harris
SF Chuma Okeke / Terrence Ross
PF Jonathan Isaac / Chuma Okeke
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Bamba

That's as good a spot as Beal can find where he can be the lead dog and be surrounded by a good combination of players on a team that can afford to pay him. I always wondered if Beal would like coming back to the place where he played college ball at. It has to be somewhat a factor, maybe not major, but something... along with sunshine, no taxes and Disney World, lol.

If the Magic are in an undesirable draft situation, I'd give up our 1st and some future pics that we are now armed with, to get it done...
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#20 » by drsd » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:38 am

For me this team as constructed could profit from a ball-dominant 2-guard. A~18 FGA per game type player.
i.e. Whoever the next Mitchell is.

Return to Orlando Magic