ImageImageImageImage

What/Who is the archtype player to add to this young core?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Re: What/Who is the archtype player to add to this young core? 

Post#21 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:15 pm

drsd wrote:For me this team as constructed could profit from a ball-dominant 2-guard. A~18 FGA per game type player.
i.e. Whoever the next Mitchell is.

Exactly, Mitchell is not high efficiency either, just high scoring, ultra-competitive ...UTA is also the best model to follow. Lots more attainable than LBJ + AD model. UTA has one offensive superstar, one defensive superstar, and a superbly coached, mature, disciplined team of well- matched role players. Now that Vuc is gone, I’d really like to see the dynamics of a healthy Isaac next to our two Center prospects. If we score a true Alpha scoring wing in the draft, re-signing mature 2-way guys like OPJ might make some sense. The CHI pick and our high 2nd could well be big contributors too (maybe starting in G league at first).
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,613

Post#22 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 4, 2021 12:19 pm

Another twist on this might be “ which young star would you trade our two top 10 picks for? (Let’s assume 5 & 9)

Someone mentioned Beal. That one year is too scary for me without real commitment to re-sign.

We could even add the Den pick and really be getting into superstar trade bait. Who is the next young star to be ransomed...Jaylen Brown, Siakim?
DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#23 » by DSN1423 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:25 pm

Another thing to consider is if we all agree we need an alpha guard/wing is;

Do we trade up with our two FRPs if they both fall outside the top 5???

Do we even include some players in the deal to get it done if our FO is convinced we need one of the top 5 prospects? If so which players?

I think we can’t go in to next year with 13 role players and no true budding superstar, let’s be real here Isaac, Fultz, Carter are all going to be good NBA players but not of the level needed to propel us to the promise land.

Or is it better to build up assets and draft high again in 2022 and package things down the line to get our next superstar?

Interested to hear peoples thoughts....
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#24 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:42 pm

Skin wrote:Yea, everyone has been right. We need that #1 go to, lead, scoring All-Star caliber player. Would be nice to get one of Cade, Suggs, Green... but that's not lookin' real good for us right now. If it happens, that's Plan A... A lot of teams have become contenders by building through the draft... Golden St, Utah, Denver, Philly, Milwaukee... but what's Plan B? C?

I say Plan B can be Beal. B stands for Bradley Beal!

Magic won't trade for him unless they are convinced that he would sign an extension with us. Beal is on the hook for next season, but at the end of it, he has a Player Option. Washington has to be worried about it. They could be more interested in trading him more than ever before. So would the Magic have enough to entice him to sign a new deal with us? Hard to say... but we saw CP3 force his way to PHX to join a team that Booker, Bridges, Ayton... We saw Butler choose to sign a new deal with Miami to join Dragic, Herro, Adebayo... DO WE HAVE A CORE OF YOUNG PLAYERS THAT COULD CONVINCE A STAR TO COME HERE???

When we were lead by Vucevic, Fournier and Gordon, the answer was always NO. But now, we have a chance. A real chance. It all starts with a healthy return of Fultz and Isaac. With Chuma and WCj emerging, we just might have a little more than a chance.

PG Markelle Fultz / Cole Anthony
SG Bradley Beal / Gary Harris
SF Chuma Okeke / Terrence Ross
PF Jonathan Isaac / Chuma Okeke
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Bamba

That's as good a spot as Beal can find where he can be the lead dog and be surrounded by a good combination of players on a team that can afford to pay him. I always wondered if Beal would like coming back to the place where he played college ball at. It has to be somewhat a factor, maybe not major, but something... along with sunshine, no taxes and Disney World, lol.

If the Magic are in an undesirable draft situation, I'd give up our 1st and some future pics that we are now armed with, to get it done...
Beal would also be great in my eyes. Word is he has the LeBron status with the Wiz (abnormal special privileges) so who knows if he'd ever want to leave them. His scoring would elevate this team so much. I think we do have a better roster than the wizards so healthy us with Beal is sexy.

Not to turn this to a draft thread or trade thread but is there a player that shadows what Beal brings/is in the draft? Is that Green? What's the highest pick you'd give up for Beal? If Beal is what we want Green to be, why not save ourselves the growing pains and get it done (with assurances he'd stay long term) with our top pick regardless? We could also take Bertans with the Fournier TPE to shed some salary for them.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#25 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:53 pm

Trading our pick and future firsts for a year rental of Bradley Beal sounds like it would be the final addition to the blueprint we have given teams on how to get a small market team moved to Seattle.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#26 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 4, 2021 2:02 pm

We need to develop a player like Beal, not trade for him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 846

Post#27 » by axl_c_cool » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:10 pm

Timeline doesn't match trading for Beal. Try and take Cade, Green, or Suggs and a 2nd lotto pick and develop them with Cole, Okeke, Isaac, Carter jr, Hampton, Fultz, Bamba.

That's a solid 9, with Birch, Ross, MCW, Harris, and a 2nd pick. Next year we end up in the lotto again but with so much more direction.

Fultz/Cole/MCW
Harris/Ross
Cade/Hampton
Isaac/Okeke/2RP
Bamba/Carter jr/Birch

Alot of potential with some nice vets there. A top 10 pick again with Isaac and Fultz coming back from injury.

I'd be interested to see if we can trade one of or a combo of Harris and Ross to move up/get another pick on draft night.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#28 » by cedric76 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:53 pm

axl_c_cool wrote:Timeline doesn't match trading for Beal. Try and take Cade, Green, or Suggs and a 2nd lotto pick and develop them with Cole, Okeke, Isaac, Carter jr, Hampton, Fultz, Bamba.

That's a solid 9, with Birch, Ross, MCW, Harris, and a 2nd pick. Next year we end up in the lotto again but with so much more direction.

Fultz/Cole/MCW
Harris/Ross
Cade/Hampton
Isaac/Okeke/2RP
Bamba/Carter jr/Birch

Alot of potential with some nice vets there. A top 10 pick again with Isaac and Fultz coming back from injury.

I'd be interested to see if we can trade one of or a combo of Harris and Ross to move up/get another pick on draft night.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app

Except that we ll make the playoff next season.
Ni lotto next season

Guaranteed
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#29 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:18 pm

you know who else would be a good type of player for this roster? Someone like Kevin Martin from the Kings.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#30 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:23 pm

drsd wrote:For me this team as constructed could profit from a ball-dominant 2-guard. A~18 FGA per game type player.

If they're that ball dominant (and maybe inefficient), do you think it'll lesson the effectiveness of other players like Fultz & Okeke? If we had that type of SG, I'd want a more 3&D-centric PG.
CLosP
Sophomore
And1: 307

Post#31 » by CLosP » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:06 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Skin wrote:Yea, everyone has been right. We need that #1 go to, lead, scoring All-Star caliber player. Would be nice to get one of Cade, Suggs, Green... but that's not lookin' real good for us right now. If it happens, that's Plan A... A lot of teams have become contenders by building through the draft... Golden St, Utah, Denver, Philly, Milwaukee... but what's Plan B? C?

I say Plan B can be Beal. B stands for Bradley Beal!

Magic won't trade for him unless they are convinced that he would sign an extension with us. Beal is on the hook for next season, but at the end of it, he has a Player Option. Washington has to be worried about it. They could be more interested in trading him more than ever before. So would the Magic have enough to entice him to sign a new deal with us? Hard to say... but we saw CP3 force his way to PHX to join a team that Booker, Bridges, Ayton... We saw Butler choose to sign a new deal with Miami to join Dragic, Herro, Adebayo... DO WE HAVE A CORE OF YOUNG PLAYERS THAT COULD CONVINCE A STAR TO COME HERE???

When we were lead by Vucevic, Fournier and Gordon, the answer was always NO. But now, we have a chance. A real chance. It all starts with a healthy return of Fultz and Isaac. With Chuma and WCj emerging, we just might have a little more than a chance.

PG Markelle Fultz / Cole Anthony
SG Bradley Beal / Gary Harris
SF Chuma Okeke / Terrence Ross
PF Jonathan Isaac / Chuma Okeke
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Bamba

That's as good a spot as Beal can find where he can be the lead dog and be surrounded by a good combination of players on a team that can afford to pay him. I always wondered if Beal would like coming back to the place where he played college ball at. It has to be somewhat a factor, maybe not major, but something... along with sunshine, no taxes and Disney World, lol.

If the Magic are in an undesirable draft situation, I'd give up our 1st and some future pics that we are now armed with, to get it done...
Beal would also be great in my eyes. Word is he has the LeBron status with the Wiz (abnormal special privileges) so who knows if he'd ever want to leave them. His scoring would elevate this team so much. I think we do have a better roster than the wizards so healthy us with Beal is sexy.

Not to turn this to a draft thread or trade thread but is there a player that shadows what Beal brings/is in the draft? Is that Green? What's the highest pick you'd give up for Beal? If Beal is what we want Green to be, why not save ourselves the growing pains and get it done (with assurances he'd stay long term) with our top pick regardless? We could also take Bertans with the Fournier TPE to shed some salary for them.

Beal would avg like 40ppg with us but yeah no reason to trade away the assets collected for a rental of him. We should’ve tried to trade for him when we had Vooch if anything. We should continue to build through the draft for the next couple of years. Orlando should continue to bottom out and continue to get high picks in the draft. Aim for top 5 picks the next couple of seasons that’s the only chance we can look to build actual talent if we draft right.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#32 » by Skin » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:31 pm

Trading for Beal would only make sense if he agreed to do an extension with us.

Others to consider... Oladipo, Lavine, SGA, Jaylen Brown, Malik Beasley... but still.... ehhhh....
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,546

Post#33 » by penny_nz » Sun Apr 4, 2021 7:22 pm

DSN1423 wrote:Another thing to consider is if we all agree we need an alpha guard/wing is;

Do we trade up with our two FRPs if they both fall outside the top 5???

Do we even include some players in the deal to get it done if our FO is convinced we need one of the top 5 prospects? If so which players?

I think we can’t go in to next year with 13 role players and no true budding superstar, let’s be real here Isaac, Fultz, Carter are all going to be good NBA players but not of the level needed to propel us to the promise land.

Or is it better to build up assets and draft high again in 2022 and package things down the line to get our next superstar?

Interested to hear peoples thoughts....

If they believe that one of Cade / Suggs / Green is the franchise changing talent, and missing piece of this roster, they should absolutely use both 1sts this year, plus players and future draft assets to move up if need be.
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,033

Post#34 » by dsg2021 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:38 pm

JI could be a Rashard Lewis/Giannis Antetokounmpo hybrid to me still, offensively speaking. In either case of him blowing up offensively or not, I’m desperate for a shooting guard or small forward who goes 24+ PPG, 6+ APG, and 6 FTA, who shoots quite well, and takes and makes clutch shots. James Harden comes to mind as one of my great examples, with less of an offensive load that he had in HOU, and more energy on defense. Luka Doncic, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving are more examples. There’s definitely no picky way to be about it; I would put a PG to the likes of CP3, Steph, and Nash in their primes about as high as any other archetype to chase too. Especially next to a 20 PPG, 3 APG SG along the lines of Steph and Klay, Dame and CJ. And I would be ecstatic if we found a Jokic, Embiid, Zion type down low too.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#35 » by MagicMatic » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:53 pm

Playmaking. An elite three level scorer that can take over and put the game on their back.

Out of the main guys that are in this draft I would say that player is possibly: Cade, Suggs, and to a lesser extent Green.

We basically need an engine on offense. In my opinion, that player doesn’t exist yet on this roster. Orlando now has a good supporting cast, but is still searching for those 1-2 players that can get us into the playoff conversation.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#36 » by MagicMatic » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:39 pm

Skybox wrote:Another twist on this might be “ which young star would you trade our two top 10 picks for? (Let’s assume 5 & 9)

Someone mentioned Beal. That one year is too scary for me without real commitment to re-sign.

We could even add the Den pick and really be getting into superstar trade bait. Who is the next young star to be ransomed...Jaylen Brown, Siakim?

I’m taking 7-8 years of potential and finding this star over trading everything for a rental.

Ideally we are building the way Denver did.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#37 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:57 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:Another twist on this might be “ which young star would you trade our two top 10 picks for? (Let’s assume 5 & 9)

I’m taking 7-8 years of potential and finding this star over trading everything for a rental.

Hopefully we can score with a picks like Denver did, with Murray 7th, and Jokic 41st.

Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#38 » by Max Power » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:39 am

The only options we have for getting an alpha 2 or 3 difference maker is by first drafting effectively. If we are able to get a Cade plus a second hit on the Bulls pick, with Chuma playing well and Issac and Fultz coming back the Magic may be able to attract a free agent if they have the space, but it starts there and being smart with any cap space. No resigning a guy like Otto Porter.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#39 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:48 am

basketballRob wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Hopefully we can score with a picks like Denver did, with Murray 7th, and Jokic 41st.

Not likely. However, landing the picks wherever they happen to be is the important part.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#40 » by drsd » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:09 am

Nyce_1 wrote:

If they're that ball dominant (and maybe inefficient), do you think it'll lesson the effectiveness of other players like Fultz & Okeke? If we had that type of SG, I'd want a more 3&D-centric PG.

Orlando will have very good back-court rebounding for long offensive board on missed jumpers. Again: for me the team is assembled to have a 2-guard jack up 18 FGA per game.

Fultz' game is perfect for a drive and pop type offense where the SG would get ~5 catch and shoot opportunities. As for Okeke, he needs to develop a pick and role game to ever be more than a catch and shoot player.

Return to Orlando Magic