ImageImage

Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Trade deadline, buyouts, and waivers 

Post#381 » by d-train » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:18 pm

Did anyone notice CJ's broken foot was the same broken foot that caused him to miss most of his rookie season?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#382 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:26 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Oden2 wrote:
I think there’s a place for guys like shroeder but compared to superstars they’re dime and a dozen. Perhaps the same could be said about guys like CJ to be fair.

I think the reality is rookie contracts are the way to go and truly to win as a small market you need to capitalize on valuable rookie years of contracts of your key players as after they re up you are in cap hell with no one decent who wants to go to a small market team on the vet min unless youre a sure fire championship contender (top 2) or close to it.

you're missing the forest thru the trees and getting hungup on Shroeder when he was just the first guy in the 20-24M range I thought of

try it another way...keep RoCo in the equation but instead of Schroeder, think Jaylen Brown, or Zach Lavine, or Draymond Green, or Fred VanVleet, or Jerami Grant, or Julius Randle, or Malcolm Brogdon, or Myles Turner, or Domantas Sabonis

so then think about what could be for about the same price or 2-4M/year more as CJ alone

Blazers could theoretically have a lineup of Dame-Powell-Jaylen Brown-RoCo-Nurk

or Dame-Powell-RoCo-Draymond Green-Nurk; or Dame-Powell-RoCo-Julius Randle-Nurk

obviously, there's the problem of actually landing one of those guys....unless Portland is trading CJ of course. But it can't be denied that CJ is a non-all-star player hogging a max-level-player portion of the cap

Does your argument change if CJ didn't break his foot, continued playing extremely well, and made the All Star team?

you mean does my argument change if CJ became the player he was for 12 games instead of the player he was for 7 years? I do not believe that 12 game CJ was anywhere close to sustainable

besides that, Dame and CJ still step on each other's game too much. Dame was deferring to CJ in those 1st dozen games, and non-aggressive Dame is not the best Dame. Also, as hot as CJ was the Blazers were only 7-5 when CJ got hurt. That's not even a 48 win pace, and the schedule was easy. They only played 3 teams with winning records in those 12 games

Dame can post big numbers and carry the team to lots of wins. CJ' hasn't showed he can do the same
valleyman33
Junior
And1: 37

Post#383 » by valleyman33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:02 am

Read on Twitter

Rumor mill about signing Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Don't know much about him. I heard he was a decent defender. Think it's just making sure we have enough bodies on the roster?
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
Henry Ford
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,858

Post#384 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:06 am

In a league where shooting matters much more than anythig, I still didnt understand why RHJ didnt get a contract last summer. He brings just about everything but a consistent shot. Easily worth a roster spot. Really like this pickup and getting a 14th man that you dont fear playing 10mpg in a playoff game this late in the season is pretty rare any way you spin it.
d-train
RealGM

Post#385 » by d-train » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:24 am

RHJ is the guy Olshey traded to Nets for Plumlee. One of many great trades by Olshey.
d-train
RealGM

Post#386 » by d-train » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:30 am

RHJ is a high energy player. I'm sure his time out of the league is only going to fuel him more.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#387 » by GEE » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:53 am

Yep... we drafted this guy, and traded him draft day of iirc. Honestly haven't seen much of his play, and can't imagine him as making any difference on the floor, or getting any meaningful minutes this year. If he is in top physical condition though.... I remember him as quite athletic as a rookie, much like Jones Jr... Twitchy, quick and springy. He's now 3 years stronger, but again, haven't followed him at all. Classic Olshey.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,536

Post#388 » by Bruin » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:49 am

You guys got a good one in RHJ. He was solid for us last season and became a fan favorite pretty quickly.

Plays with great energy and grit and is a great veteran presence for young players. Idk how many minutes he’ll get in Portland but I’m sure he’ll make the most of whatever he gets.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#389 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:24 am

valleyman33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rumor mill about signing Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Don't know much about him. I heard he was a decent defender. Think it's just making sure we have enough bodies on the roster?

Yes. The Blazers are/were 1 player below the 14 man roster requirement after the GTJ+Hood for Powell trade, and thus were required to sign a 14th player.

As for the signing, great signing for Portland! RHJ can play the 3/4 - an area of need, and is a competent defender - another need. I doubt he plays many (if any) minutes. But he's that guy that, in a defensive struggle, Portland can pull Melo out on defense for a play, play RHJ, then put Melo back in once the Blazers have the ball.

If you accept that the Blazers were never going to sign a Drummond/Aldridge player on the cheap, this is a solid get. Maybe if you view the 4/5 as a bigger weakness than the 3/4 (which I don't), then Skal Labissière would make more sense. But great use of a 14th roster spot.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#390 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:44 am

It’s a good 10-day.
Good job.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#391 » by PDXKnight » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:57 am

rhj is solid, great guy to add depth. Doesn’t take us out of our treadmill but i do like him a lot
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,082

Post#392 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:40 pm

Why hasn't this happened yet? What's the hold up?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
BigPuma
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#393 » by BigPuma » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:59 pm

Saw that Justin Jackson got bought out. The blazers should sign him just because of the fact that when they traded 2 picks to get zach collins, the traded picks were used to draft justing jackson and harry giles. Now we could have all 3!
Puma (as in Travis "The Puma" Outlaw)
d-train
RealGM

Post#394 » by d-train » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:15 pm

I haven't seen a lot of Justin Jackson. I know in games against us he hasn't played many minutes, but when he plays he is a good scorer.

Edit:. I think I prefer RHJ.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,841

Post#395 » by Norm2953 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:34 pm

Portland has until April 9 to add the player who would be eligible for the playoffs.

All things considered, I think we should add a PF to the roster. I remember years ago, Brandon
Roy when asked what type of player Portland needed, He brought up Ronny Turiaf, who played
10 seasons in the league and was a big, strong PF/C. I think NO is waiting for the last minute to
see if anyone gets bought out at the last minute which is a good idea.
d-train
RealGM

Post#396 » by d-train » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:57 pm

The longer Blazers wait to fill the 14th roster spot, the cheeper the contract will be. What's the hurry?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#397 » by PDXKnight » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:32 pm

tj leaf on a 2 way contract. I don’t know much about him other than he was decent at UCLA. If nothing else at least he’s a big body
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#398 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:38 pm

Oden2 wrote:tj leaf on a 2 way contract. I don’t know much about him other than he was decent at UCLA. If nothing else at least he’s a big body

Tough loss for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#399 » by d-train » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:42 pm

I watched TJ Leaf a couple times with Pacers. My impression was he couldn't play dead. I expect nothing good out of him. Maybe he will be a handy practice player.
d-train
RealGM

Post#400 » by d-train » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:46 pm

Oden2 wrote:tj leaf on a 2 way contract. I don’t know much about him other than he was decent at UCLA. If nothing else at least he’s a big body

He's a big stiff. It looks like his feet weigh 50lbs each. He was a 1st round pick, so he must be more talented than he looked to me.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers