ImageImageImageImageImage

Tank?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Re: Tank? 

Post#241 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:27 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:Tbh honest at this point I'd rather play Mannion, Poole and Wiseman more and get a top 10 pick than getting to a first round exit.
It sucks for Steph, but at least this season he is able to play and show everybody he's still elite. The team is just not good enough to contend and a first round exit doesn't really change much in his legacy.
Playoff experience could be valuable for the young players, but it depends on the cost of getting there.
However it goes, I think a full tank like last season would have been detrimental, because the young players shouldn't get used to lose and to not being accountable for their mistakes, so a semi-competitive season like this one could be a good balance.
And if they are lucky they can even win a top 4 pick in the lottery.

I agree with this as well. This season is done especially with the strong teams only getting stronger after the trade deadline and buyouts. GSW weren't in the running for any of the players we wanted like Oladipo, Gordon, etc. and no player has mentioned the Warriors as their preferred destination. The fact that we also traded away Wanamaker and Chris to reduce the luxury tax and refused to use the DPE on anyone especially during the 10 game stretch without a center suggests that the only way to add talent to this team is through the draft. Once we get the draft situation squared we can think about trading for an all-star.

Adding a top 10 pick of our own to our trade chips would get us much closer to trading for another star player than playing the Jazz/Nuggets/Lakers in the first round, getting blown out in 4 games, and worst of all - having the league witness Wiseman getting demolished by Gobert/Joker/ Drummond + AD. He is just not ready for that level of competition and it would only diminish his trade value.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#242 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Now is the best time to tank as any. No fans in the stands. Probably make some money getting into the playoffs, but long term lose a lot more. Take advantage of the empty arenas.

Really hope for a miracle and nab the number one pick. Reviewed most of the picks and while talented they won’t do much for two years.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#243 » by azwfan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:30 pm

Lottery as it stands today...

#14 MEM: 23-23 (+1.5)
#13 GSW: 23-26 (+0.0)
#12 IND: 22-26 (-0.5)
#11 SAC: 22-28 (-1.5)
#10 NO: 21-27 (-1.5)
#9 CHI: 20-28 (-2.5)
#8 OKC: 20-29 (-3.0)
#7 TOR: 19-30 (-4.0)

I think top 10 is very possible. If we summon our inner 2012, could get to #7, but every game is a must lose from here on out.

Lottery odds of top 4 pick:
#14: 2.4%
#13: 4.7%
#12: 7.2%
#11: 9.4%
#10: 13.9%
#9: 20.2%
#8: 26.3%
#7: 31.9%
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#244 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:16 am

azwfan wrote:Lottery odds of top 4 pick:

The jump from #10 to #8 is particularly juicy. Basically doubles the odds and that jump could easily be only 1 game.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#245 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:20 am

azwfan wrote:Lottery as it stands today...

#14 MEM: 23-23 (+1.5)
#13 GSW: 23-26 (+0.0)
#12 IND: 22-26 (-0.5)
#11 SAC: 22-28 (-1.5)
#10 NO: 21-27 (-1.5)
#9 CHI: 20-28 (-2.5)
#8 OKC: 20-29 (-3.0)
#7 TOR: 19-30 (-4.0)

I think top 10 is very possible. If we summon our inner 2012, could get to #7, but every game is a must lose from here on out.

Lottery odds of top 4 pick:

9th spot, 1 out of 5 shot. 8th spot, 1 out of 4. 7th, 1 out of 3.

10th spot to 9th spot, 6 percent jump. Need to at least shoot for 9th spot. Rest Curry and Dray, heal them up and go all out next year.

Still need a lot of luck. Maybe there should be a realgm warriors joint prayer session before the draft.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#246 » by and1GS » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:21 am

Thanks for that breakdown! We have a soft final schedule so I'd be very surprised if we can creep up (down!?) to 7th, but I agree that we will probably end at 9. Which is a win and, as you outlined, a huge statistical improvement.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,406

Post#247 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:43 am

TANK! I'm all for it.

I have no interest in watching the Warriors chit the bed in a one and out playoff series.

TANK TANK TANK....rest Curry the rest of the way.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#248 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:52 am

The #9 spot has something like a 20% chance at a top 4 pick

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#249 » by Old_Blue » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:42 am

Now is the time to amp up the suckitude. We have a legitimate chance of grabbing the 7th worst record...Which would give us a 32% chance at a Top 4 pick. That means Myers & Company have a chance to screw up two top draft picks!
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#250 » by DIO » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:51 am

TANK TIME!!!!
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#251 » by Old_Blue » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:41 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
SAKURABA216
Starter

Post#252 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:49 am

If the Warriors can have fans in attendance again by the middle of April there is no way in hell we will be allowed to tank. I wonder if we can still sign someone with the DPE if that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#253 » by azwfan » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:14 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:If the Warriors can have fans in attendance again by the middle of April there is no way in hell we will be allowed to tank. I wonder if we can still sign someone with the DPE if that is the case.

2 thoughts on this:

1. Then tank now while nobody is in attendance.
2. The brilliance of tanking this year is that nobody can tell if we’re tanking or trying to win. We just arent good and Curry has some “nagging injuries”.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
SAKURABA216
Starter

Post#254 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:44 pm

azwfan wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:If the Warriors can have fans in attendance again by the middle of April there is no way in hell we will be allowed to tank. I wonder if we can still sign someone with the DPE if that is the case.

2 thoughts on this:

1. Then tank now while nobody is in attendance.
2. The brilliance of tanking this year is that nobody can tell if we’re tanking or trying to win. We just arent good and Curry has some “nagging injuries”.

Lol I agree we should tank to get a better pick. If our own pick was top 10 and we get Minnesota's #4 we could potentially draft Suggs/Green/Kuminga AND (maybe) Jalen Johnson/Corey Kispert. Imagine both of our draft picks hitting next year, Wiseman taking a leap forward in his development and Klay returning. We would be like the Miami Heat from last year.

However, I seem to recall Lacob itching all year to re-open the Chase Center ASAP and an 8th seed birth with at least 2 home playoff games at the Chase Center, with Curry playing near MVP form, could generate so much money that I think Lacob will want us to win at all costs.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#255 » by SpreeS » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:18 am

Lebron/Davis both could miss two weeks and its almost guarantee play in spot (7th). Its 50% to meet LAL in play in tournament. Whats the point to play hard for PO spot? We will be 23-28 after tomorrow game and possible at 11th place in the West. We could get TOP8 pick w/o trying a lot and if we try harder, its possible to get TOP6 pick.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#256 » by WarriorGM » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:45 am

SpreeS wrote:Lebron/Davis both could miss two weeks and its almost guarantee play in spot (7th). Its 50% to meet LAL in play in tournament. Whats the point to play hard for PO spot? We will be 23-28 after tomorrow game and possible at 11th place in the West. We could get TOP8 pick w/o trying a lot and if we try harder, its possible to get TOP6 pick.

Because I'd rather take my chances watching a Steph playoffs performance in the anticipation of seeing greatness than I would getting a draft pick several slots higher. It doesn't matter if the odds say they're most likely to be swept, the chance that Curry might be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat is worth going for it.

If Steph could replicate his debut 2013 playoffs performance that would be more than worth it.

Remember even though that 2013 run fell far short of a championship, it wasn't just a memorable statement of arrival, it had very consequential lasting effects that set the foundations of the coming dynasty. Iguodala experienced first hand what Curry and the Warriors could do. I don't see anything else that could have convinced him to join the Warriors as much as the Nuggets losing to them despite being the favorite.

Curry is a game changer who has the capacity to change the direction of the league. You give him every opportunity to do so.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#257 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:19 am

WarriorGM wrote:
SpreeS wrote:Lebron/Davis both could miss two weeks and its almost guarantee play in spot (7th). Its 50% to meet LAL in play in tournament. Whats the point to play hard for PO spot? We will be 23-28 after tomorrow game and possible at 11th place in the West. We could get TOP8 pick w/o trying a lot and if we try harder, its possible to get TOP6 pick.

Because I'd rather take my chances watching a Steph playoffs performance in the anticipation of seeing greatness than I would getting a draft pick several slots higher. It doesn't matter if the odds say they're most likely to be swept, the chance that Curry might be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat is worth going for it.

If Steph could replicate his debut 2013 playoffs performance that would be more than worth it.

Remember even though that 2013 run fell far short of a championship, it wasn't just a memorable statement of arrival, it had very consequential lasting effects that set the foundations of the coming dynasty. Iguodala experienced first hand what Curry and the Warriors could do. I don't see anything else that could have convinced him to join the Warriors as much as the Nuggets losing to them despite being the favorite.

Curry is a game changer who has the capacity to change the direction of the league. You give him every opportunity to do so.

Everyone knows what Steph can do, but if the Warriors want to set the foundations for the coming dynasty they need to grab everything they can get for next year. Assuming they don't get Minny's pick and they are out of the Lotto. You think they are going to attract anyone to come play here, and they only have a few slots of salary they can maneuver. They only attracted people because they were a young and upcoming team, now they are getting older and capped out with marginal players.

Their best shot is get the draft picks to deal it in the offseason. And they might not even get that if they are unlucky. If they don't win the lotto the Warriors will be like the Clippers if West didn't join them. Capped out, injured, and with one star in Paul. If Balmer stuck with Rivers at GM, the Clippers would die a slow death instead of competing for a championship. Imagine them if they kept Paul, Blake and reupped Jordan. That's where this team is heading, they are not going to attract anyone with that.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#258 » by SpreeS » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:20 am

WarriorGM wrote:

Yes, I agree with you with everything what you said. But man, look at Kerr and what he is doing. He is tanking, his rotation is crap. He is in love in his system, that doesn’t work at all. How could you put second unit with Ourbe and rest 3 best players the whole season? Why our best “big” Toscano play only garbage min? Why Wanamaker was second handler when he is terrible at it and Curry/Green play together? Wiseman is frustrated. This team is way better than this. OKC has 20wins and we 23, talent wise it isn’t comparable.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#259 » by WarriorGM » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:43 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Everyone knows what Steph can do, but if the Warriors want to set the foundations for the coming dynasty they need to grab everything they can get for next year. Assuming they don't get Minny's pick and they are out of the Lotto. You think they are going to attract anyone to come play here, and they only have a few slots of salary they can maneuver. They only attracted people because they were a young and upcoming team, now they are getting older and capped out with marginal players.

Their best shot is get the draft picks to deal it in the offseason. And they might not even get that if they are unlucky. If they don't win the lotto the Warriors will be like the Clippers if West didn't join them. Capped out, injured, and with one star in Paul. If Balmer stuck with Rivers at GM, the Clippers would die a slow death instead of competing for a championship. Imagine them if they kept Paul, Blake and reupped Jordan. That's where this team is heading, they are not going to attract anyone with that.

Everyone knows what Steph can do? Is that so? I wish. Apologies to the couple of guys that didn't shy away but the overall feeling I've had is that each time I've challenged a so-called Warriors fan here who was giving me smack to unequivocally state that Curry is the best player in basketball they've slinked away unable to do so.

A strong demonstration and reminder of what Steph is truly capable of would do far more immediately than some draft pick a few slots ahead. All these dumb narratives are still circulating: "He needed KD." "He needs Draymond." The popular one du jour is "He needs Klay." Here's what I think: No he doesn't. He doesn't need anything special. Curry is capable of taking an average team and making them a threat against anyone. The problem unfortunately for Steph is that for the past couple of years the front office has been grossly incompetent and has weighed him down with what is arguably one of the historically worst supporting rosters ever. For all the talk of other stars carrying bad teams I struggle to find cases where they had to do so with literally the worst team in the league without them which is the case with Curry today. And he still has them near .500!—despite missing several games too!

"If they don't win the lotto the Warriors will be like the Clippers if West didn't join them?" What!? Is it somehow slipping your mind that the Warriors have Steph and the Clipper you are referencing didn't have anything remotely comparable? The moment those Clippers got Kawhi the story about them changed dramatically. This should illustrate starkly what has been one of my main points all along. The Warriors are not utilizing Curry—who is by FAR their greatest asset—correctly.

Paul? What are you talking about? From what I can remember he had already been shipped out to Houston before West joined the Clippers. But even then I take issue with your comparison. Paul is not Curry. Curry has made and won multiple finals whereas Paul has not made even one finals. "Imagine them if they kept Paul, Blake and reupped Jordan." Huh? They never won anything or even gotten past the second round of the playoffs. On the other hand I can easily imagine Curry, Klay and Draymond who've previously dominated the league, set all-time records, and changed how the game is played winning another.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#260 » by WarriorGM » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:56 am

SpreeS wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Yes, I agree with you with everything what you said. But man, look at Kerr and what he is doing. He is tanking, his rotation is crap. He is in love in his system, that doesn’t work at all. How could you put second unit with Ourbe and rest 3 best players the whole season? Why our best “big” Toscano play only garbage min? Why Wanamaker was second handler when he is terrible at it and Curry/Green play together? Wiseman is frustrated. This team is way better than this. OKC has 20wins and we 23, talent wise it isn’t comparable.

That's an indictment on Kerr.

But is the team way better than this? Opinions on the relative talent level of the Thunder and Warriors are subjective. The fact is the Warriors were at the bottom of the barrel last year. It can be argued though that the Warriors can be a lot better if it simply reduced the roles of a couple of players who have been black holes this year.

Return to Golden State Warriors