ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers @ Clippers, Game #50, 4/4, 3:30 PM

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Re: Lakers @ Clippers, Game #50, 4/4, 3:30 PM 

Post#21 » by Beethoven » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:48 pm

Well here we go down the rabbit hole of bottomless seed placings.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
NoseBleedLakers
Lead Assistant
And1: 343

Post#22 » by NoseBleedLakers » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:01 pm

And down to the 5th seed they go.

Another game where the Lakers couldn't shoot and got outscored by another 20+ points from behind the arc, couldn't get any stops, had more turnovers than assists.

Lakers beat themselves more than the other team did.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#23 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:07 pm

Flush this one down the toilet.
I’m not too worried about this game or playoff seeding.

Come playoff time , with AD and LBJ at full speed, we’ll be the team to beat.
Formerly lakerRD
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#24 » by Slava » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:07 pm

I honestly don’t understand how Schröder declined that extension unless the final years were non guaranteed.

These kind of stretches really show Vogel’s limitations as a coach. He’s a good manager for a team but he’s very unimaginative when he has to coach an offense with anything less than the ideal players.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#25 » by Beethoven » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:41 am

I hate this boy i hate this.
There won't be another win till maybe end of April.

This season is looking more and more like it's OVER for us.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#26 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:02 am

Slava wrote:I honestly don’t understand how Schröder declined that extension unless the final years were non guaranteed.

These kind of stretches really show Vogel’s limitations as a coach. He’s a good manager for a team but he’s very unimaginative when he has to coach an offense with anything less than the ideal players.

I think unless Schroeder really turns it around in the next few weeks of the regular season and playoffs, he made a big mistake turning down the extension, and truthfully the Lakers possibly dodged a bullet.

As far as Vogel, the issue is that offensively this team has been built to be run by LBJ.
When he’s not in there, there’s no floor general and that showed today against a good defensive team.
Seemingly they went after Lowry realizing that (which is also a sign that they don’t think too highly of Schroeder).

Offensively, they have a number of weapons. But minus that floor general, it’s super hard as a coach to run an offensive scheme .
Formerly lakerRD
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#27 » by chefy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:26 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#28 » by chefy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:29 am

Give that money to Ball if Schroeder doesn’t wanna sign
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#29 » by BEazy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:31 am

chefy wrote:Give that money to Ball if Schroeder doesn’t wanna sign

We can't. We're over the cap next season, so it's either overpay Schroder or let him walk. I mean there still could be a sign and trade, but knowing Schroder and his agent they'll likely burn the bridge with the Lakers and leave us with a PG problem. Not that Schroder is some magnificent PG anyway.

This is a pretty good article explaining the situation:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/4/2/22364384/lakers-rumors-dennis-schroder-extension-unrestricted-free-agency-nba-contract-salary

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#30 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:59 pm

lakerRD wrote:
Slava wrote:I honestly don’t understand how Schröder declined that extension unless the final years were non guaranteed.

I think unless Schroeder really turns it around in the next few weeks of the regular season and playoffs, he made a big mistake turning down the extension, and truthfully the Lakers possibly dodged a bullet.

As far as Vogel, the issue is that offensively this team has been built to be run by LBJ.
When he’s not in there, there’s no floor general and that showed today against a good defensive team.

Seemingly they went after Lowry realizing that (which is also a sign that they don’t think too highly of Schroeder).

Offensively, they have a number of weapons. But minus that floor general, it’s super hard as a coach to run an offensive scheme .

It's a fair point, you need a very special coach to stay afloat when your main player goes down. I still remember when MVP contender Derrick Rose barely played after his ACL for 2 years, Thibs managed to win games. Pops losing Tony Parker and they still remained decent. Then I think of teams without great floor generals, I mean who is a main facilitator of the Miami Heat?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#31 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:00 pm

With LeBron on the team, having a score-first PG is either a luxury or a detriment... Right now, even without LeBron, it's a little of both... Schroder gets his, but they're almost exclusively on isos, which stagnates the offense... He's not a spot shooter... Which is really not ideal when leBron comes back.
I thought he'd be an interesting addition as a volume scorer either at the 2 or off the bench, but he had to start and the only spot we had for a guaranteed start was PG... he's just not super great at that... So I'm glad he turned down the extension... He's a bad fit and the sooner we move on the better... Knowing what he want's to get paid, who's going to trade for him in the offseason? I'm guessing that particular market is going to be super small... Hopefully he puts it all on the court for the playoffs because he knows unless he does, he's not getting jack in free agency this summer.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#32 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:06 pm

Kilroy wrote:With LeBron on the team, having a score-first PG is either a luxury or a detriment... Right now, even without LeBron, it's a little of both... Schroder gets his, but they're almost exclusively on isos, which stagnates the offense... He's not a spot shooter... Which is really not ideal when leBron comes back.
I thought he'd be an interesting addition as a volume scorer either at the 2 or off the bench, but he had to start and the only spot we had for a guaranteed start was PG... he's just not super great at that... So I'm glad he turned down the extension... He's a bad fit and the sooner we move on the better... Knowing what he want's to get paid, who's going to trade for him in the offseason? I'm guessing that particular market is going to be super small... Hopefully he puts it all on the court for the playoffs because he knows unless he does, he's not getting jack in free agency this summer.

Having a very good 3pt shooting PG would be great, heck I would settle for Patty Mills right now but it's not like the Lakers have a lot of options out there as most teams have locked up most of these ideal teammates for Lebron. James would turn 37 next season but would therefore need someone to generate points when he is resting. I agree with KBlo that Tony Parker is the player that best resembles Schroder's skill set. Not a good 3pt shooter, not good with facilitating, they are best when they are using their quickness to attack, get layups and/or freethrow attempts, has a decent 12-15 jumper etc. Pops figured out a way to maximize his strength. A smarter coach would find ways to hide weaknesses too. Marc Gasol is great in setting up and spotting open teammates, why not make him a facilitator?
If Dennis walks, it's not like they can offer the money to someone else bec they are over the cap. He can agree to a sign and trade but who can they get in return? Golden State ended up with the lazy Russell which they flipped with another overpaid underachiever Wiggins.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers