Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1821 » by syntax » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:01 pm

downtownpie wrote:
Stanford wrote:
downtownpie wrote:Simmons is in for a shock if he thinks he is a supermax player. He isnt getting that in Philly.

I think you're the one who's in for a shock

You think Morey is that stupid?

All the NBA coaches must be stupid (three times) for voting him as an all-star three years in a row.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,847

Post#1822 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:05 pm

downtownpie wrote:
Stanford wrote:
downtownpie wrote:Simmons is in for a shock if he thinks he is a supermax player. He isnt getting that in Philly.

:dontknow: Morey isn't the only one who makes the decisions

He traded Chris Paul and two firsts for Westbrook
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1823 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Gamer grind
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#1824 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:12 am

syntax wrote:
downtownpie wrote:
Stanford wrote:

All the NBA coaches must be stupid (three times) for voting him as an all-star three years in a row.

Not to say coaches are wrong or cannot evaluate talent, but most of them vote based on reputation or on what they see in the press or on games against their own teams (which is just too little of a sample). Some of them also have several agendas to vote certain players: Make space for players of their own teams, motivate their players, etc.

It's impossible for them to see most games, to not say any game not involving their own team, and that's just because of schedule.

Using coaches as this "unbiased", "perfect" source of a selection is just as bad as saying morey is perfect.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1825 » by Sixerscan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:08 am

Simmons' contract just started and has 5 years left on it. What are you guys talking about with this supermax stuff...

If Simmons is eligible for a supermax *in five years* it means he's making all nba teams in which case he's probably worthy of consideration for a supermax.

It seems like there is momentum for supermaxes being reworked between now and then to be more favorable for the team anyway. Like the guy gets paid like a 35% guy that but he only counts as a normal 30% max for cap purposes.
Philly2good
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#1826 » by Philly2good » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:29 am

Murray_17 wrote:
syntax wrote:
downtownpie wrote:

Not to say coaches are wrong or cannot evaluate talent, but most of them vote based on reputation or on what they see in the press or on games against their own teams (which is just too little of a sample). Some of them also have several agendas to vote certain players: Make space for players of their own teams, motivate their players, etc.

It's impossible for them to see most games, to not say any game not involving their own team, and that's just because of schedule.

Using coaches as this "unbiased", "perfect" source of a selection is just as bad as saying morey is perfect.

This has to be one of the worst takes I've ever read on an internet forum :lol:
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#1827 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:35 am

Philly2good wrote:This has to be one of the worst takes I've ever read on an internet forum :lol:

Care to explain?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,510

Post#1828 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:33 am

Look at the sample size of number 1 picks being overpaid. He falls into the same category as guys like Wiggins and John Wall. Number 1 picks with more of show than substance that franchise have to overpay just because of their draft status.

There is also a academic study about how teams over invest on players who are selected high in the draft in being more patient and salary. This is why we picked Okafor over Christian Wood. And why Nerlens Noel was asking Lil Wayne money.

Im not saying its for certain. But im saying its very likely Ben will demand a supermax (or something similar on that range) once his contract is up. But we shouldnt worry about that for now. It’s just something to consider once we are near crossing that bridge.

Once a team like the Wolves would be willing to overpay him that much and justifies it as a better upgrade than overpaying for Wiggins, his value will plummet.

Like i said, nothing to worry about. Right now.

Enjoy the bliss of his campaign for DPOY, his best route towards the supermax
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1829 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 4, 2021 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Will Ben be paid more than Jrue? Maybe 45-50M per year?

But no need to worry about it. A lot of player development can happen in 5 years
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,571

Post#1830 » by knuckles862 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 5:50 pm

76ciology wrote:

Look at the sample size of number 1 picks being overpaid. He falls into the same category as guys like Wiggins and John Wall. Number 1 picks with more of show than substance that franchise have to overpay just because of their draft status.

There is also a academic study about how teams over invest on players who are selected high in the draft in being more patient and salary. This is why we picked Okafor over Christian Wood. And why Nerlens Noel was asking Lil Wayne money.

Im not saying its for certain. But im saying its very likely Ben will demand a supermax (or something similar on that range) once his contract is up. But we shouldnt worry about that for now. It’s just something to consider once we are near crossing that bridge.

Once a team like the Wolves would be willing to overpay him that much and justifies it as a better upgrade than overpaying for Wiggins, his value will plummet.

Like i said, nothing to worry about. Right now.

Enjoy the bliss of his campaign for DPOY, his best route towards the supermax

You are crazy lol the wizards or wolves would of gladly traded ben straight up for wall or wiggins. Their contracts are awful. Ben is probably at market value not low not high.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#1831 » by Simmons25 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:00 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
phillynative wrote:The biggest mistake was Brett and the Sixers F.O handing him the Point Guard keys without demanding progress from his shooting first. They were too busy wanting to showcase him as the next Lebron and Magic to bring in more hype and for the Sixers after the process. With early success and playing how he wants to play he had no initiative to change his game.

If he lacks the internal motivation to be great, nothing external will motivate him either.

I do agree however that the organization should've held out on making him a cornerstone of the team, because now it's unable to pivot in response to his lack of development.

There is only one thing that motivates Simmons... and it is absolutely no coincidence that for the last 4 years that the only time he starts becoming aggressive in games is when All-Star voting is about to start. Every year is like groundhog day. He starts off being passive... then the all-star game comes and he tries... and then he goes back to being passive and a liability in the playoffs. People should have waken up to it by now and accept that nothing will ever change.

Just came back to see if I was right 2 months later. Yeah I was right.

When will people wake up to him... it was blindingly obvious when he said his best coach was his high school coach Kevin Boylan because he was always on his back and pushing to motivating him which he admitted he needs. A professional basketball who has no motivation. The only thing that motivates Simmons is making money, playing video games, hanging out with Lebron at all-star games and sleeping with instawhores. The dude is a mental midget... and nobody short of coach Pop screaming at him and benching his ass on the bench will ever get anything out of him.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 536

Post#1832 » by sodmoraes » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:18 am

SImmons is an Andre Roberson who can pass... When his athleticism fades, he will be a very mediocre player, as he cant shoot...
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 206

Post#1833 » by ConstableChaos » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:44 am

Imagine Simmons in the Aaron Gordon role for the Nuggets.

If George Hill can play at a starter level PG/ pick and roll PG (something neither Embiid or Simmons has played with) Simmons could be a millionaries version of the AG role, and help his half court game

I am a glass half full kinda guy though
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1834 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:03 am

ConstableChaos wrote:Imagine Simmons in the Aaron Gordon role for the Nuggets.

If George Hill can play at a starter level PG/ pick and roll PG (something neither Embiid or Simmons has played with) Simmons could be a millionaries version of the AG role, and help his half court game

I am a glass half full kinda guy though

I wanted us to trade for him during the deadline.

He can fill Simmons’ perimeter defense and transition if we ever trade Ben down the road.

You also can’t have too many wings in this league.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1835 » by DCasey91 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:39 am

Off-season I’m moving Ben + Maxey and a pick for Beal. Resign a starter level PG and hope for the best.

Also interested in MCCollum for Harris if the Ben deal doesn’t eventuate (CJ has no problems scoring in the playoffs). Also I wonder if Green could be resigned too.

Rubio type
Beal
Thybulle
Harris
Embiid

Hill type
Mccollum
Green
Simmons
Embiid

Both versions are closer to an ideal championship contending team imo. Curry as 6th man then fill the bench with quality > quantity. Shake/Joe/Reed basically any asset is on the table for upgrades when need be. Look for young players that’s underutilized that is NBA quality/role. I suggested surely Terrance Davis could be had for chips (He’s NBA quality that I have no doubt so get him then lol).
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#1836 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:58 pm

i like how yall can slander Ben in one sentence. Going as far to say the coaches are dumb to vote for him

and then turn around and think we can just get Beal for him lol.

The eventual Ben haul is not going to be what yall think it is
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#1837 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:26 pm

I'm keeping Ben for the foreseeable future and hoping that Morey can find a legitimate creator some other way.

Tobias, Ben, Joel, Matisse, and Shake can make up a championship team, they just need a lead guard that can get buckets and facilitate them. The fact that we've gotten to this point and don't have this kind of player is a failure on the previous FO's part. It'd be nice if Maxey takes the leap in the offseason, but I'm not expecting it.

Matisse and Ben give us massive relief on the defensive end that doesn't show up on the box score. I imagine Ben is going through a human issue right now, so it's easy to **** on him as he struggles.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1838 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:46 pm

Mik317 wrote:i like how yall can slander Ben in one sentence. Going as far to say the coaches are dumb to vote for him

and then turn around and think we can just get Beal for him lol.

The eventual Ben haul is not going to be what yall think it is

Ben > Beal and Ben ain't that good, homie
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1839 » by VDT » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:27 pm

I dont really mind Simmons that much, at least for the regular season. He has limitations but he can do a lot of useful stuff on the court. The problem only arises when you have to compete against teams like the Nets/Warriors etc that have superstars working together to form a superteam, in a sense breaking the rules of the league. The need to have two superstars is only because of that. People need to realize though that this is a very high benchmark to reach and it makes no sense to blame Simmons for not being a top 5-10 player in the league.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#1840 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:43 pm

VDT wrote:I dont really mind Simmons that much, at least for the regular season. He has limitations but he can do a lot of useful stuff on the court. The problem only arises when you have to compete against teams like the Nets/Warriors etc that have superstars working together to form a superteam, in a sense breaking the rules of the league. The need to have two superstars is only because of that. People need to realize though that this is a very high benchmark to reach and it makes no sense to blame Simmons for not being a top 5-10 player in the league.

I simultaneously recognize that Simmons is a good player and a strong asset even in a playoff series if he is put in the right position. And that these cowardly 7 point games are inexcusable and he should get a lot of flack for it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers