Who Says No? Sabonis for Rui, Bertans and 6th Overall

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who Says No?

Pacers
49%
Wizards
36%
Neither
15%

Total votes: 61

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Who Says No? Sabonis for Rui, Bertans and 6th Overall 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:09 am

Domantas Sabonis for Rui Hachimura, Davis Bertans and 6th Overall Pick

Washington adds an all-star to pair with Beal to help push along the long rebuild and get to the playoffs.

Indy gets a true PF in Hachimura next to Turner while adding a stretch 4 off the bench and a top 10 pick which with Indy’s own lottery pick gives them a nicely balanced roster with depth.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Who Says No? Sabonis for Rui, Bertans and 6th Overall 

Post#2 » by Topofthekey » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:46 am

Value isn't bad for both teams, you can realistically argue for either team to do the trade based off on value

Not sure about the direction for both teams though

For Wizards, doesn't trading Hachimura and Bertans leave them with a hole at PF? Also, it feels like the correct direction for Wizards is to stockpile draft picks and young talent and position themselves for life after Westbrook? Doesn't trading for Sabonis ruin their rebuild? And isn't it really awkward for them that their 3 best players after this trade are on 3 different timelines? Westbrook is 32 and a vet, Beal is 27 and in his prime, and Sabonis is 24 and just emerging as a star. I don't know, could be awkward or could be really good, depends on how you see it

For Pacers, Hachimura does look like a decent fit next to Turner, and for a franchise who nevers tanks, landing #6 in the draft is exciting for them. But doesn't trading their best player in Sabonis for a youth package in Rui and #6 go against what they are trying to do? They are a franchise who signed "contribute right away" FAs like McDermott, McConnell, and Lamb because they place more importance in competing now, over developing young players. Not sure if trading their best player to go on a youth movement is what they want to do

As I said, you can argue for both teams to do the trade too, though

If Wizards are looking to keep Beal and add talent in order to compete right now while Westbrook still has something left in the tank, Sabonis is probably one of the best players available for the package offered

If Pacers are looking to do a mini tear down and pivot to the future without bottoming out completely, then Rui + #6 is also probably one of the best packages available to them

Ultimately, I think if Wizards go for something like this, they'd rather trade Avdija over Rui, but Pacers likely won't go for that
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:06 am

If sabonis is available for a mid lotto pick as the return i would offer raptors 2021 1st plus value as needed too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:11 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:If sabonis is available for a mid lotto pick as the return i would offer raptors 2021 1st plus value as needed too.

I don’t know that I would call 6 “mid-lotto”, but sure, Toronto is currently right behind it.

The problem with Toronto, though, is that Washington has value like Rui or Avdija they could package with 6, while Toronto doesn’t. Toronto isn’t trading OG, especially not with the lotto pick. And they’re not dealing Siakam or FVV with the lotto pick for a Sabonis. So, it’s either a Washington deal for a slightly better pick AND an additional value piece, or Toronto for a slightly lesser pick and maybe also future picks (which Indy hasn’t done since the 80’s).
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:If sabonis is available for a mid lotto pick as the return i would offer raptors 2021 1st plus value as needed too.

I don’t know that I would call 6 “mid-lotto”, but sure, Toronto is currently right behind it.

The problem with Toronto, though, is that Washington has value like Rui or Avdija they could package with 6, while Toronto doesn’t. Toronto isn’t trading OG, especially not with the lotto pick. And they’re not dealing Siakam or FVV with the lotto pick for a Sabonis. So, it’s either a Washington deal for a slightly better pick AND an additional value piece, or Toronto for a slightly lesser pick and maybe also future picks (which Indy hasn’t done since the 80’s).

The flipside is we wont send you a bad contract in bertans either. In my mind rui and bertans is a wash
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:32 pm

It`s a decent offer, not the best one Sabonis is capable of attracting though
FK NFL
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:35 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

The flipside is we wont send you a bad contract in bertans either. In my mind rui and bertans is a wash

Depends. Y’all renouncing Lowry?

We might see Bertans as a potential flyer worth trying out. At the least, if we’re dealing a guy like Sabonis, I think we’d want multiple pieces, even at the cost of one iffy (though not terrible) contract. Just the 7, or the 6 and a Rui/Avdija, while absorbing Bertans, and I’d likely take the 2nd one there. Slightly better pick, additional piece to look at, and Bertans would simply replace McDermott for us, so the contract isn’t terrible. Especially since we wouldn’t end up with cap space, and we’d be locked up pretty long-term. Would make re signing Warren harder, but maybe we deal him too.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

We might see Bertans as a potential flyer worth trying out. At the least, if we’re dealing a guy like Sabonis, I think we’d want multiple pieces, even at the cost of one iffy (though not terrible) contract. Just the 7, or the 6 and a Rui/Avdija, while absorbing Bertans, and I’d likely take the 2nd one there. Slightly better pick, additional piece to look at, and Bertans would simply replace McDermott for us, so the contract isn’t terrible. Especially since we wouldn’t end up with cap space, and we’d be locked up pretty long-term. Would make re signing Warren harder, but maybe we deal him too.

We have expirings in baynes and hood vs bertans if we want to keep lowry.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,484

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:49 pm

I like the value enough in the OP, just wonder if Indy really needs to add 6-Barnes? and Rui (and Bertans) when they’re already so deep.

Would think Indy would prefer to send Washington’s package (and their first?) to a third team for one singular piece? Guess most teams want to consolidate though.

Toronto’s package could be Hood+Baynes+future pick(s) to a third team and Indy end up with 7 and Harrison Barnes+? or something similar/better?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#10 » by Topofthekey » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:53 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Hachimura + Bertans is a positive package to me

So

#6 > #7
Hachimura + Bertans > expiring
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:59 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I like the value enough in the OP, just wonder if Indy really needs to add 6-Barnes? and Rui (and Bertans) when they’re already so deep.

Would think Indy would prefer to send Washington’s package (and their first?) to a third team for one singular piece? Guess most teams want to consolidate though.

Toronto’s package could be Hood+Baynes+future pick(s) to a third team and Indy end up with 7 and Harrison Barnes+? or something similar/better?

It’d probably require thinking that Doug/McConnell are pricing out of the range we’re comfortable paying, and that Aaron/Lamb are fine for now, but not long-term pieces. If so, we’d be decently thin, and would have just Goga/Sumner in the development pipeline.

We’d definitely not be interested in Hood/Baynes. An offer where they’re renounced and cap space is used would likely be more useful/valuable. But yes, 7/Barnes would be better than those filler deals.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:59 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

I heavily assume they’re getting waived for their non-guaranteed deals.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:39 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

This offer is not terrible, but I'm not advocating for it. On Bertans his final year looks to be not fully guaranteed but I'm not sure if it's "unguaranteed" or partially guaranteed.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:41 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Hachimura + Bertans is a positive package to me

So

#6 > #7
Hachimura + Bertans > expiring

I really like Hachimura depending on who is there at the #6 pick I'd have to consider this but hate the idea of trading Domas.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#15 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:50 pm

Like others have said, value looks about right but I think IND would have to really like a rookie in that draft range.

IND can be sneaky good in the draft but Sabonis is a big ask. Would they prefer to send Turner? Don’t see his value quite that high and I like him.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:05 pm

JRoy wrote:Like others have said, value looks about right but I think IND would have to really like a rookie in that draft range.

IND can be sneaky good in the draft but Sabonis is a big ask. Would they prefer to send Turner? Don’t see his value quite that high and I like him.

A few of us have said that Sabonis raises the ceiling for Indy more than Turner, but Turner raises the floor. It’s easier to build around Turner at the 5 than it is to build around Sabonis, but the layoff of building around Sabonis would potentially be much higher.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#17 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:34 pm

Agreed.

In POR we are big fans of the Sabonii.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:38 pm

I would not consider this as the Pacers. Especially since Charlotte would almost certainly top this offer. Or Memphis. Or OKC. Or Houston.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:17 pm

Re Bertans' value, let's see how he does the rest of the season - healthy - to see if his value is restored.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,088

Post#20 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I would not consider this as the Pacers. Especially since Charlotte would almost certainly top this offer. Or Memphis. Or OKC. Or Houston.

Would they? I'm not sure sure. People are enamored with this draft and the top 5 players look really good. What pieces do those teams have to offer that are better than the 6th pick? Or are you thinking volume? Because if they get it I don't see any of those teams offering a top 5 pick. And OKC wouldn't do SGA, so there's not a lot left that could beat this imo.

Return to Trades and Transactions