Cade Cunningham

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#281 » by ellobo » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:48 pm

Cade reminds me a lot of Steve Smith. Smitty was often the primary ballhandler at Michigan State (also with a poor assist/turnover ratio), but more of a secondary ballhandler in the NBA. Both great shooters who could shoot off the dribble over the top of smaller defenders.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#282 » by kobyz » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:57 am

Joe Johnson with some Brandon Roy
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,953

Post#283 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:04 pm

Were the knocks on Cade similar to the pre-draft knocks on Luka? People thought Luka wasn't athletic enough, too slow, etc.
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#284 » by reamily » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:52 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Were the knocks on Cade similar to the pre-draft knocks on Luka? People thought Luka wasn't athletic enough, too slow, etc.

Nope, luka is a crafty scorer, cade is a shooter, luka amzing handles, cade solid..the most underrated factor, upperbody strength...
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#285 » by MemphisX » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:34 am

He isn’t a point guard at all.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#286 » by Saciid11 » Fri May 7, 2021 5:51 am

Fischella wrote:I think Cade is Paul Pierce basically, which, no, it is not Harden or Luka, but it is still ridiculously good and a nº1 pick in any draft ever

Cade best comparison is Grant Hill .. a smooth playmaking small forward. If he continues developing his game I don't see him anything other then franchise player who will end up being MVP type of players years to come.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#287 » by EMG518 » Fri May 7, 2021 6:55 am

Saciid11 wrote:
Fischella wrote:I think Cade is Paul Pierce basically, which, no, it is not Harden or Luka, but it is still ridiculously good and a nº1 pick in any draft ever

Cade best comparison is Grant Hill .. a smooth playmaking small forward. If he continues developing his game I don't see him anything other then franchise player who will end up being MVP type of players years to come.

Cades not like Grant Hill. He may not even play the 3, might be a 4.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#288 » by clyde21 » Fri May 7, 2021 3:21 pm

lol @ these Cade takes
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#289 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 7, 2021 4:42 pm

Cade has the same wide ranging skillset of Hill, but isnt near the same level of pre-injury Hill as an athlete.
Im Your Father
Senior
And1: 254

Post#290 » by Im Your Father » Sat May 8, 2021 2:23 pm

EMG518 wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:

Cades not like Grant Hill. He may not even play the 3, might be a 4.

Agree, I don’t see it.

Hill had a GOAT level first step, which Cade doesn’t have.

On the other hand, Cade has a much purer shooting stroke.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#291 » by Marcus » Tue May 11, 2021 5:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol @ these Cade takes

was waiting for this run to come
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#292 » by namlede » Wed May 26, 2021 5:09 pm

https://youtu.be/zWTHOTLfaP4
Video of some of his potential assists. I thought this watching him but it's true, the guy is an elite passer. Great vision, can pass with either hand, creative.

Assist numbers don't tell the whole story. OkSt is an average team without him.

This guy is the total package, has the lead dog mentality too(led the league In clutch points if I'm not mistaken)

His only real weakness for a 19 year old is a high/sloppy handle. If his work ethic is great he should be able to tighten up that.

Slow first step no doubt, but he has other areas that make up for it In smarts and upper body strength. He has wide shoulders, in his prime he will be a beast down low.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#293 » by Marcus » Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm

namlede wrote:https://youtu.be/zWTHOTLfaP4
Video of some of his potential assists. I thought this watching him but it's true, the guy is an elite passer. Great vision, can pass with either hand, creative.

This guy is the total package, has the lead dog mentality too(led the league In clutch points if I'm not mistaken)

His only real weakness for a 19 year old is a high/sloppy handle. If his work ethic is great he should be able to tighten up that.

Slow first step no doubt, but he has other areas that make up for it In smarts and upper body strength. He has wide shoulders, in his prime he will be a beast down low.

Cade is just someone you have to watch play to get the full scope of what he can do. Full games not highlights give you the full scope. He won't pop out in a highlight package but when you see the heady plays on both ends a 19 yr old kid makes you see what could be in a few years.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#294 » by reamily » Wed May 26, 2021 5:59 pm

He would be a handful when he steps to the nb due to his shooting and able passing..
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,418

Post#295 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 am

He’s a beast and in a class of his own.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#296 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Marcus wrote:
namlede wrote:https://youtu.be/zWTHOTLfaP4

Cade is just someone you have to watch play to get the full scope of what he can do. Full games not highlights give you the full scope. He won't pop out in a highlight package but when you see the heady plays on both ends a 19 yr old kid makes you see what could be in a few years.

I agree with both posts. IMO Cade is far and away the best prospect in this draft.

He will benefit immensely from playing in a more fast-paced, open court game, with better spacing.

Cade is just a mix of Doncic, Harden & mainly Paul Pierce for me.

Barring injury, a definite superstar and future Hall of Famer.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,598

Post#297 » by AbC? » Thu May 27, 2021 6:31 pm

Lol at the hot takes ITT

He is 100% going to be the primary offensive fulcrum for any team that drafts him. Much like Harden/Luka/Young/Lebron. He is exactly the type of player you want to be initiating the offense every type down the court.

If he fails in that capacity then you can explore using him as a more traditional SF like Brown/Tatum/Kawhi but he needs to be given the leeway to be that playmaker
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#298 » by Charm » Thu May 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Take a guy who averaged more turnovers than assists in college and ask him to run an NBA offense...has that ever been attempted before? It'll be interesting to see what happens :lol:
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#299 » by nolang1 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Charm wrote:Take a guy who averaged more turnovers than assists in college and ask him to run an NBA offense...has that ever been attempted before? It'll be interesting to see what happens :lol:

It's really not that uncommon if you're looking at players' freshman seasons rather than simply the last year before they made the NBA. Steph Curry had as many assists as turnovers. Allen Iverson had one more assist than turnover. Kevin Durant, Paul Pierce, Kawhi, Brandon Roy, and Paul George are others who came up in a not-at-all exhaustive search. I'm sure you could find plenty of NBA point guards who played multiple years in college and had more turnovers than assists as freshmen.
Charm
Junior
And1: 257

Post#300 » by Charm » Thu May 27, 2021 7:38 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Charm wrote:Take a guy who averaged more turnovers than assists in college and ask him to run an NBA offense...has that ever been attempted before? It'll be interesting to see what happens :lol:

It's really not that uncommon if you're looking at players' freshman seasons rather than simply the last year before they made the NBA. Steph Curry had as many assists as turnovers. Allen Iverson had one more assist than turnover. Kevin Durant, Paul Pierce, Kawhi, Brandon Roy, and Paul George are others who came up in a not-at-all exhaustive search. I'm sure you could find plenty of NBA point guards who played multiple years in college and had more turnovers than assists as freshmen.

Sure, I buy that if he develops well from here he could be a part-time point forward in a few years. Some people though are acting like he's going to be a competent floor general from day 1, which I think would be virtually unprecedented if he pulls it off.

Return to NBA Draft