Game 46: MEM vs MIN 

Post#1 » by ducler » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Game 46: MEM vs MIN 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:39 am

Jonas started the game with 16 & 6 in 11mins anyone want to guess why he picked up 3 cheap fouls to keep him out of the game 1st & 2nd half, lmao..

4th quarter pairing Jonas with Dillon & Melton's ball pressure opened the 20pt lead. Nice to see Melton getting burn down the stretch.

Kat's 30 coming on an inefficient 11-25 shooting. If it wasn't for the refs controlling his performance, his stat line would have been far worse with Jonas putting up a more efficient 40 spot.. I sort of spoiled my first question, lol.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:08 am

In this game Bizz was a thorn in Lebron's side defensively, he had some clear "clean" blocks prior to this foul called as defensive fouls then in this video he was fouled out with a technical 2 & ball back to the Cavs on what should have been a & 1, ended up a 7pt swing. This is how though, the league pealed Bizz off of making Lebron look bad. Ejected him from the game because Love attempted to reach in on a 2 foot dunk shot. lol
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 3, 2021 10:48 am

Allen was the only starter in the minus in a blow out win with a -2, followed by Morant who had a 0 rating, in what was a 23pt lead before the game was handed over to the end of bench. Even though Allen was hitting his open 3's, I maintain defensively he & Morant are a bad pairing, much less matched with Jonas...

Bane, Melton with Jonas, Tyus were +22 & 17 respectively & 2 reasons why the Grizz opened that 20pt 4th Q lead, resulted in Jonas leading the starters with a +18.

I stand by saying you can't have Jonas, Allen & Morant defensively. When Jonas was fouled out with 8pts in the first 6mins of the game, it was a 1pt game. You'd think with a player that hot offensively in the first few minutes in combination with Allen hitting open 3's, they'd create some separation. Why couldn't they? = defense. 3 sub par defenders in Jonas, Allen & Morant.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:04 pm

I wonder who JJJ will replace in the starting lineup when he comes back. Does Allen move to the bench since he is there mostly for spacing which JJJ can help with? Does Kyle go to the bench even though he has played fairly well?
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:26 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I wonder who JJJ will replace in the starting lineup when he comes back. Does Allen move to the bench since he is there mostly for spacing which JJJ can help with? Does Kyle go to the bench even though he has played fairly well?

That`s a very good question. My personal preference is to bench Kyle, but Jenkins may decide to run a competition among JV, Grayson and Kyle.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:09 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I wonder who JJJ will replace in the starting lineup when he comes back. Does Allen move to the bench since he is there mostly for spacing which JJJ can help with? Does Kyle go to the bench even though he has played fairly well?

That`s a very good question. My personal preference is to bench Kyle, but Jenkins may decide to run a competition among JV, Grayson and Kyle.

It's a logical approach to test whether 3J is best suited at C or PF.

I have 3J starting at PF & closing at C if for nothing else to aid his durability but ideally I'd have no set lineup, which should make it harder for teams to game plan for. Memphis have the complimentary players to play big or small rotations, in the open court or half court to not consider the other team in setting the lineups.

Where does Anderson play when 3J returns?, is the hard question because he's arguably been one of the teams best players this year. Which means taking one of Jonas or Allen/Melton off the court next to 3J/Dillon/Ja. He's played better at PF but that is because he was running an effective pnr with Jonas. So my attempt would be a front court of Jonas/3J with Anderson at SF where he & Ja could run the pnr & play make for 2 3&D players in 3J/Dillon or Melton>Allen spacing enough ball handling & a post/rebounding threat.

Besides the concern of health, Winslows offense has hurt the teams overall play. I think Memphis are better off using Winslow as an expiring asset in trade to a team looking to drop his salary, if possible, If not, I wouldn't pick up his option.

Memphis have some nice options at SG but I'd put an offer on the table for Powell & draft a SF big wing to replace Winslow if the top SG options are off the table.

Memphis are at a point where all they have to be is patient for development & opportunity. Hopefully they don't force any moves until the right option/opportunity presents itself or the need to clear playing time/roles on a deep roster.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#8 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:02 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I have 3J starting at PF & closing at C if for nothing else to aid his durability but ideally I'd have no set lineup, which should make it harder for teams to game plan for. Memphis have the complimentary players to play big or small rotations, in the open court or half court to not consider the other team in setting the lineups.

Where does Anderson play when 3J returns?, is the hard question because he's arguably been one of the teams best players this year. Which means taking one of Jonas or Allen/Melton off the court next to 3J/Dillon/Ja. He's played better at PF but that is because he was running an effective pnr with Jonas. So my attempt would be a front court of Jonas/3J with Anderson at SF where he & Ja could run the pnr & play make for 2 3&D players in 3J/Dillon or Melton>Allen spacing enough ball handling & a post/rebounding threat.

Besides the concern of health, Winslows offense has hurt the teams overall play. I think Memphis are better off using Winslow as an expiring asset in trade to a team looking to drop his salary, if possible, If not, I wouldn't pick up his option.

Memphis have some nice options at SG but I'd put an offer on the table for Powell & draft a SF big wing to replace Winslow if the top SG options are off the table.

Memphis are at a point where all they have to be is patient for development & opportunity. Hopefully they don't force any moves until the right option/opportunity presents itself or the need to clear playing time/roles on a deep roster.

1. Powell isn`t a gamechanger for us. I`ve no idea why are you promoting him so intensively.
2. JJJ should play C at the end of the day. We all know it. It`s only a question of his readiness.
3. Kyle is very mediocre at the SF position. With JJJ`s return, I would rather keep Grayson and let Kyle play PF next to Clarke/Tillman in a then wild bench squad.
4. Winslow is done, I agree. We should use his contract as a trade chip (unlikely though) or just let him go. I wouldn`t even surprised, if they waive him soon to get rid of an unhappy person in the locker room.
5. I am fully aligned on your "wait for a right opportunity" statement at the end.
6. I believe you should start preparing yourself for JV`s departure this summer, bro.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:43 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

1. Powell isn`t a gamechanger for us. I`ve no idea why are you promoting him so intensively.
2. JJJ should play C at the end of the day. We all know it. It`s only a question of his readiness.
3. Kyle is very mediocre at the SF position. With JJJ`s return, I would rather keep Grayson and let Kyle play PF next to Clarke/Tillman in a then wild bench squad.
4. Winslow is done, I agree. We should use his contract as a trade chip (unlikely though) or just let him go. I wouldn`t even surprised, if they waive him soon to get rid of an unhappy person in the locker room.
5. I am fully aligned on your "wait for a right opportunity" statement at the end.
6. I believe you should start preparing yourself for JV`s departure this summer, bro.

1, The last 2 games shows what an efficient 3pt scoring guard would mean to this team, which Powell is. He may not be the star we all imagine Memphis landing but he will make a difference, the question would be at what potential price point is he worth a look/try.

2, I maintain 3J has proven fragile like Davis, who is also more effective at C but doesn't want to play there due to it's physicality & when he does, he gets injured more frequently. Reason, despite having Davis, Lakers have depth at C. Reason I have 3J not starting but closing at C, if necessary. There will be games, matvhups where Jonas would be the more effective option at C.

3, Besides his improved range, Anderson was more effective at the 4 this year in part because of his pnr game with Jonas. Your comment on his effectiveness at SF is without 3J spacing at the 4. Last year isn't accurate data because Anderson now has range himself, where I would try that SF experiment again.

6, Why do I have to prepare for Jonas possibly being traded ? If Memphis pull the plug on Jonas, it won't be my loss.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:39 am

I don't think Winslow is unhappy at all. He has talked about how coming to Memphis was the best thing that could have happened to him and how he is incredibly thankful. We let him fully rehab and took the pressure off of him. Let him rehab as much as needed and give him some minutes off the bench. See if we want him as long term depth or not. I think his offense will come around but that it will take time. Look at Conley, it took him a year to really adjust to Utah's offensive scheme and now this year they are killing it. Winslow needs more time to figure things out with the scheme and teammates while also just trying to get back into an offensive flow after being out for well over a year. If we aren't sure what to do then pick up his option and roll with the full MLE this offseason (we'd have to open a roster spot up to use it). If he shows stuff over the rest of the season and we think he could be a long term piece then decline the option and give him a 3/24m type deal with a partial guarantee the last year of like 5-6m.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies