ImageImageImage

It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,781

Re: It's a Tragedy to see the Deadline's Over Post Trade Thread 

Post#1561 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:02 am

GoGreen wrote:I feel like the Cs #1 priority this off season will bw to unload Kemba. His contract is a massive problem

It's not the contract that is the killer, it's the defense. When the Celtics go man to man, the player Kemba is guarding gets the ball almost every time, and the rest of the team scrambles to cover for him. I'm hoping to see a Smart-Langford or a Smart-Pritchard backcourt more often.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1562 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:04 am

Our PG defense has been awful between Kemba and PP. PP is getting rooked a bit but he's never going to be great on that end, and while Kemba puts in effort he's clearly the weak link.
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#1563 » by mwhis21 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:26 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
GoGreen wrote:I feel like the Cs #1 priority this off season will bw to unload Kemba. His contract is a massive problem

It's not the contract that is the killer, it's the defense. When the Celtics go man to man, the player Kemba is guarding gets the ball almost every time, and the rest of the team scrambles to cover for him. I'm hoping to see a Smart-Langford or a Smart-Pritchard backcourt more often.

The defense is a killer right now. The contract is a killer if they are trying to get max space after next year (Bradley Beal).
Kemba has a Player Option (PO) and there's a lot riding on that.

1. Best case scenario he plays well next year and opts out similar to GH. That will free up a lot of money.

2. Kemba plays meh, decides to pick it up and now we're stuck with that contract for 2022-2023 too. Won't have space to sign anyone from a potentially loaded 2022 class.

3. Find someone to trade for Kemba while not taking on any salary after next year.

Here's my thought:

The C's have decisions to make. 1. I don't believe that they think they have their 3rd star in Kemba. But the 2022 FA class is dripping with potential talent. 2. They have decisions to make on Smart and Robert Williams. 3. If they resign them both, it probably eliminates them from getting max space. Ideally, they get to max space before resigning Smart and Williams.

I do believe that Beal is their target. This is all assuming that Beal declines his PO next year (Seems obvious). But getting to max space would be preferable vs. a Sign & Trade. That's the Kemba contract issue.

Smart
Brown
Beal
Tatum
Williams

Someone that knows more than I do can level set me here. They may not be able to get to max space anyway. But I don't see the C's adding salary past next year. So I do believe they let Fournier walk, they hold off on a Williams extension and then try to move Walker.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1564 » by GoGreen » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:45 am

mwhis21 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

The defense is a killer right now. The contract is a killer if they are trying to get max space after next year (Bradley Beal).

1. Best case scenario he plays well next year and opts out similar to GH. That will free up a lot of money.

2. Kemba plays meh, decides to pick it up and now we're stuck with that contract for 2022-2023 too. Won't have space to sign anyone from a potentially loaded 2022 class.

3. Find someone to trade for Kemba while not taking on any salary after next year.

Here's my thought:

The C's have decisions to make. 1. I don't believe that they think they have their 3rd star in Kemba. But the 2022 FA class is dripping with potential talent. 2. They have decisions to make on Smart and Robert Williams. 3. If they resign them both, it probably eliminates them from getting max space. Ideally, they get to max space before resigning Smart and Williams.

I do believe that Beal is their target. This is all assuming that Beal declines his PO next year (Seems obvious). But getting to max space would be preferable vs. a Sign & Trade. That's the Kemba contract issue.

Smart
Brown
Beal
Tatum
Williams

Someone that knows more than I do can level set me here. They may not be able to get to max space anyway. But I don't see the C's adding salary past next year. So I do believe they let Fournier walk, they hold off on a Williams extension and then try to move Walker.

If they let Evan walk and strike out in the offseason... woo boy. Danny's head the people will be calling for
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,217

Post#1565 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:39 am

GoGreen wrote:
mwhis21 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Here's my thought:

Smart
Brown
Beal
Tatum
Williams

If they let Evan walk and strike out in the offseason... woo boy. Danny's head the people will be calling for

At this point, I'm just gonna assume that we're not dreaming of going under the cap in the near future. Here's the situation going into 2022-2023 free agency:

Assume Kemba's off the books somehow. Forget about Smart. His cap hold is too high. IF you want to keep at least Tatum, Brown, Timelord, Langford, and Pritchard, the Celtics won't even have enough cap space for a 30% max FA. They'd be short by about $2M. Assuming you get the FA to agree to a discount, now you have six players, a bunch of minimum guys, and an MLE player. Beal is a 35% max FA btw.

Said FA better be the second coming of Michael Jordan or Tatum better had made the leap to an MVP candidate by then.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#1566 » by Jammer » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:19 am

zoya's on the right track, but I am dead set getting Kemba off the books at this year's draft.

The 2022 salary numbers pretty much dictate that, if they are intent on re-signing Fournier. Since it's been reported that the Celtics are interested in trading for Bradley Beal, a high volume shooter, the only way they could do that is to either trade Kemba OR SIGN & TRADE Fournier + either Nesmith or Langford + one more player. There's just too much salary on the books. Kemba + one of Nesmith or Langford + Two 1rst Round Picks is a reasonable offer for Beal IF he wants to come here, but he uses a lot of shots. The alternative is Fournier + one of Langford or Nesmith but if you start adding picks the depth goes to hell.

Realistically, with 2022 salaries, and NO KEMBA, Celtics are at 120,412,697 WITHOUT KEMBA and without their 2021 1rst and 2nd Round picks. Beal makes like 2.3 million less than Kemba (without trade kicker).

Center
3,661,976 Rob Williams
9,720,900 Tristan Thompson (will he back-up Rob, this is strictly a personality issue since Williams is clearly better)
1,669,178 Tacko Fall (if given a roster spot, which I think he deserves)

PF
28,103,500 Jayson Tatum
2,617,800 Grant Williams (dead weight at this point)
TBD (estimated at 2.5 Million) Luke Kornet - he's a Free Agent, but I like him better than Thompson or Grant Williams

SF
25,312,500 Jaylen Brown
3,631,200 Aaron Nesmith

SG
20,000,000 Evan Fourner (estimated, if he's re-signed as a Free Agent) - can also play SF
3,804,360 Romeo Langford
1,782,621 Carsen Edwards (his whole career is dependent on his ability to make 3's, he is not a PG)

PG
14,339,285 Marcus Smart
2,137,440 Payton Prtichard

Waived Player Salaries
1,039,080 Guerschon Yabusele
92,857 Demetrius Jackson

The above is 120,412,697 for 13 players without Kemba. If you could someone add Beal and make Fournier the backup for Brown and Beal that would be better than keeping Kemba since shifting Smart to PG and adding Beal (4 inches taller than Kemba) improves the defense immeasurably. I think they really need to move Kemba if they have any aspirations of going deep in the playoffs. There just isn't enough solid defense elsewhere to make up for his short comings. Kemba is a nice offensive player but useless on defense.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,217

Post#1567 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:27 am

Yep, signing a max FA or even near-max FA in the foreseeable future is very very unlikely even with Kemba dump. More realistic goal is to lock up (lock in? Lock down?) our current good players -- Smart, Fournier, Timelord -- preferably to hometown discount extensions. Then add another star via trade or S&T. For now, build up the value of the young guys on the roster and make Kemba look good for teams who might miss out on their FA targets.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#1568 » by snowman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:52 am

Sorry, but I'm a realist. I don't think Kemba will be even remotely close to leaving until his last year. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
We need to offer Fournier 4 years for 80 mil, and lock him up. We can probably resign Kornet for 3 years for 9 mill, and Wolford for 2 years for 5 mil. We also need to lock up Timelord when it is time.
For next season we need to build around / run with:
Kemba, Smart, Pritchard,
Fournier, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Wolford
Timelord, Kornet, Fall

Thompson, G. Will, and Edwards need to be moved this summer. Semi should not be resigned. Also time to move from Waters. We have our 1st round pick, and a couple of TPE's to use, plus a 2nd round pick to replace them with. If we can move Kemba, GREAT, but like I said I doubt we can.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#1569 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:59 am

snowman wrote:Sorry, but I'm a realist. I don't think Kemba will be even remotely close to leaving until his last year. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
We need to offer Fournier 4 years for 80 mil, and lock him up. We can probably resign Kornet for 3 years for 9 mill, and Wolford for 2 years for 5 mil. We also need to lock up Timelord when it is time.
Kemba, Smart, Pritchard,
Fournier, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Wolford
Timelord, Kornet, Fall

Thompson, G. Will, and Edwards need to be moved this summer. Semi should not be resigned. Also time to move from Waters. We have our 1st round pick, and a couple of TPE's to use, plus a 2nd round pick to replace them with. If we can move Kemba, GREAT, but like I said I doubt we can.

who??
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,443

Post#1570 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:02 am

playa-hater wrote:
snowman wrote:Sorry, but I'm a realist. I don't think Kemba will be even remotely close to leaving until his last year. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Kemba, Smart, Pritchard,
Fournier, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Wolford
Timelord, Kornet, Fall

who??

Wolford.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#1571 » by BillessuR6 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:19 am

I laughed out loud in the office when I read Wolford... :lol:

No idea who this guy is but I really hope he is good!

Yeah, we really need to get rid of Kemba somehow. He is killing our defense!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,626

Post#1572 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:50 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Kemba, Smart, Pritchard,
Fournier, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Wolford
Timelord, Kornet, Fall

who??

Wolford.

He's named after the guy who found the crossing of the Rhine where all the gold was mined.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,051

Post#1573 » by Dogen » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:07 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Kemba, Smart, Pritchard,
Fournier, Langford
Brown, Nesmith
Tatum, Wolford
Timelord, Kornet, Fall

who??

This guy? I’m not sure we can sign him yet. Is he a draft prospect?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/3924892/andre-wolford
Hey you! Can we come together?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,734

Post#1574 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:19 pm

I'm just waiting for 2021-2022 when Yam Madar, Wolford and KAT will lead us to ring 18. Don't care what happens with Fournier or whatever.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#1575 » by Maple Green » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:49 pm

I would rather Trade this off season to Washington
Washington trade = Westbrook,Bertans and Beal for
Boston= Kemba,TT,Smart,Neismith,Langford,Wagner,Edwards

Grant Williams trade to Bolbol straight up

Sign;Tony Allen (for Defensive end)

Boston:
PG-Westbrook/Pritchard
SG-Beal/Fournier/T. Allen
SF-Tatum/Brown
PF-Bertans/Kornet/Bolbol
C-R. Williams/Falls
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#1576 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:54 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Our PG defense has been awful between Kemba and PP. PP is getting rooked a bit but he's never going to be great on that end, and while Kemba puts in effort he's clearly the weak link.

Kemba's defense is the Celtics Achilles heel. Give Kemba credit because he puts in the effort but his size is too big a hurdle to overcome. Big reason why I think the Celtics will never win the chip with Kemba on the team.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#1577 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:59 pm

You people really overrate how important point guard defense is.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1578 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:08 pm

BK_2020 wrote:You people really overrate how important point guard defense is.

Yeah, defense isn't important.

Especially at the wing position. :crazy:
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1579 » by JediMasterRevan » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:10 pm

Maybe Yam can take over as starting PG next year.

XD
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#1580 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:21 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:You people really overrate how important point guard defense is.

Yeah, defense isn't important.

Especially at the wing position. :crazy:

Yeah the Sixers lose every game because teams just attack Seth Curry. Also the Nets lose every game because teams hunt Kyrie. The Utah Jazz have not won a single game because teams repeatedly target their 6'1, 175 lb point guard and 6'1 shooting guard. Also the Trail Blazers will go 0-82 because teams just hunt Dame and C.J.
Meanwhile the Spurs with stout point guard defenders are poised to finish 82-0 for the first time in NBA history.
Same with the Pelicans who have the best defense in the league thanks to 6'6 Lonzo Ball at point guard.
The Kings stifle everyone thanks to the 6'3 behemoth Fox manning the point guard spot.

Return to Boston Celtics