ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Cade Cunnigham here we come! :) 

Post#1121 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:28 am

Ruzious wrote:Watch for Jared Butler of Baylor (not Jared Baylor of Butler) to shoot up the mocks. He's a do it all combo guard who's improved dramatically at both ends. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jared-butler-1.html He reminds me of a young George Hill. Made a very good decision to not come out for the 2020 draft. NBAdraft.net has him at 38 now. I think he'll end up in the lottery.

Way back in January...Ruzious mentioned him.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1122 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:29 am

I think lottery as well.
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#1123 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:29 am

Wow, Kevin Sheehan called it... Bet he won some money tonight!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#1124 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:32 am

I need Jalen Suggs in a wizards uniform.

Favorite prospect since Derrick Rose in Memphis.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#1125 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:35 am

NatP4 wrote:I need Jalen Suggs in a wizards uniform.

Would you rather take Suggs, or trade down and get Butler AND Mitchell? :o :wink: 8-) :-?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1126 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:39 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I need Jalen Suggs in a wizards uniform.

Would you rather take Suggs, or trade down and get Butler AND Mitchell? :o :wink: 8-) :-?

Love both of those players, but Mitchell is 23 on draft night, Butler will be 22. Can you imagine what Suggs will be 2-3 years down the road?
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1127 » by Illuminaire » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:40 am

Suggs all day. Butler and Mitchell are several years older, and are much closer to being finished products. Suggs is already as good or better than them.

Mitchell and Butler will be rotation players on good teams. Suggs shows every indication of being able to *star* on a good team. The ceiling is entirely different. Never trade a dollar for two quarters!
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#1128 » by 9 and 20 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:56 am

This Raptors loss has me watching Cade highlights! Can't believe we have to slog more 20+ more games of this, though. Yuck.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:05 am

Illuminaire wrote:Suggs all day. Butler and Mitchell are several years older, and are much closer to being finished products. Suggs is already as good or better than them.

Mitchell and Butler will be rotation players on good teams. Suggs shows every indication of being able to *star* on a good team. The ceiling is entirely different. Never trade a dollar for two quarters!

I MIGHT trade down for Sharife Cooper and another player. About Cooper:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31182324/auburn-sharife-cooper-entering-2021-nba-draft

He is considered one of the top point guard prospects in the 2021 draft class thanks to his ability to create offense for himself or teammates. He was one of only two freshmen in the past 30 years of college basketball, along with Oklahoma's Trae Young, to average over 20 points and 8 assists per game.

Cooper is intriguing to NBA teams due to his sharp ballhandling skills and his ability to get anywhere he wants on the court with a blazingly fast first step. He accelerates and decelerates past defenders effortlessly, while possessing the vision and creativity to find teammates on the move. According to Synergy Sports Technology data, Cooper led all of college basketball with the 39.6 points per game he created via assists or his own scoring, more than 20% higher than the next best prospect expected to be drafted (Illinois' Ayo Dosunmu).
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1130 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:29 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Watch for Jared Butler of Baylor (not Jared Baylor of Butler) to shoot up the mocks. He's a do it all combo guard who's improved dramatically at both ends. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jared-butler-1.html He reminds me of a young George Hill. Made a very good decision to not come out for the 2020 draft. NBAdraft.net has him at 38 now. I think he'll end up in the lottery.

Thanks CCJ - that was nice of you. It'll be interesting to see which of the Baylor guards go first. Looks like Mitchell is higher regarded. Some downgrade Butler for his age, but he's just 20 (10 months older than Suggs) and has 3 full seasons of college experience. And as he's shown all season, he's a leader and a champion. He and Mitchell are on the short side, but they're both built strongly and probably go at least 200 lbs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#1131 » by pcbothwel » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:12 pm

Currently have a .347 win PCT... 23 games left and Im reaching to say we win 8, but probably closer to 6. Even with 8 wins, that would be a, you guessed it .347 win pct. We play both the Cavs and OKC twice, which will really determine where we end up pre-lotto... But I think at worst only 1 of those teams move above us.

Looks like 5/6 is where we end up, which is above where 2 of the teams last year who ended up in the top 4 (Hornets + Bulls) were at.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1132 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Thanks CCJ - that was nice of you. It'll be interesting to see which of the Baylor guards go first. Looks like Mitchell is higher regarded. Some downgrade Butler for his age, but he's just 20 (10 months older than Suggs) and has 3 full seasons of college experience. And as he's shown all season, he's a leader and a champion. He and Mitchell are on the short side, but they're both built strongly and probably go at least 200 lbs.

They both kinda remind me of Kyle Lowry, particularly Mitchell. They'll be useful right away. The question is, will they continue to get better over the next 8 years like Lowry did.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1133 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:22 pm

Man props to Baylor. They were on another level.

Gonzaga getting Chet probably so they'll be back.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1134 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:01 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Man props to Baylor. They were on another level.

Gonzaga getting Chet probably so they'll be back.

They have such a reload - but yeah, they might be even more fun to watch with Chet there. He is 1 of a kind. He'll be great in college. I just don't know if he'll have an NBA body.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1135 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:26 pm

Butler was just too good. Set the tone in that 2nd half to prevent any Gonzaga comeback. 6-6 from the free throw line, 7 assists with no turnovers.

Finished the year with 20 points 4 rebounds 5.7 assists 2.3 steals on 60% TS and a championship. 21 years old. Going to be a really good NBA combo guard. Creates his own shot, can create for others, plays above average defense, great leader that competes on every possession, elite off ball scorer.

10-17 from 3 through the elite 8, final 4, and championship.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1136 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:31 pm

Who knows where we will end up picking in the draft, but Jared Butler is a perfect fit at PG next to Bradley Beal. Equally effective playing off-ball. Has no ego issues giving it up and moving without the ball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1137 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:07 pm

NatP4 wrote:Who knows where we will end up picking in the draft, but Jared Butler is a perfect fit at PG next to Bradley Beal. Equally effective playing off-ball. Has no ego issues giving it up and moving without the ball.

I'll stay on record that if we end up with a pick after 4 - trade down to get Butler and Bassey. Teams like NY and Houston may have the multiple picks needed to get them.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1138 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Who knows where we will end up picking in the draft, but Jared Butler is a perfect fit at PG next to Bradley Beal. Equally effective playing off-ball. Has no ego issues giving it up and moving without the ball.

I'll stay on record that if we end up with a pick after 4 - trade down to get Butler and Bassey. Teams like NY and Houston may have the multiple picks needed to get them.

In full agreement on a trade down. I probably wouldn’t take Bassey though, Wagner, Giddey, or Queta for me.

That’s pretty much my final cheat sheet:

Take one from this list if available:
1. Suggs
2. Mobley

If both are gone, trade down for multiple picks and take whichever two are available from this list:

1. Franz Wagner
2. Josh Giddey
3. Jared Butler
4. Neemius Queta
5. Chris Duarte

After the lottery, we will have a better idea of potential Beal trades, but that could be a factor. Buying a 2nd round pick is a must.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1139 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:17 pm

Have only looked at Kuminga's numbers, not any film, and I was kind of shocked by how good the eye test looked. Looked very very advanced offensively. The only issue being those raw numbers--but how much of that is mitigated by:

A. He's 18
B. It's a desperation men's league.

It's difficult because they are kind of pioneers in this whole G-League thing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1140 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:33 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

In full agreement on a trade down. I probably wouldn’t take Bassey though, Wagner, Giddey, or Queta for me.

That’s pretty much my final cheat sheet:

Take one from this list if available:
1. Suggs
2. Mobley

If both are gone, trade down for multiple picks and take whichever two are available from this list:

1. Franz Wagner
2. Josh Giddey
3. Jared Butler
4. Neemius Queta
5. Chris Duarte

After the lottery, we will have a better idea of potential Beal trades, but that could be a factor. Buying a 2nd round pick is a must.

I like all 5 of your trade down choices, but I'm focused on Massey and Butler. You got me on the Wagner train - so, I'd be very fine getting him and Butler.

Our GM is probably thinking Giddey and Sengun and forget about defense. Actually, he's probably thinking either one of them and forget about trading down.

Return to Washington Wizards