Off Topic VIII

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Re: Off Topic VIII 

Post#1701 » by CuseMayne » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:Anyone here trying out Top Shots? Looks like I'm finally within the range to get a pack tonight. I was randomly placed around 30,000th in line for 60k packs, with 150k total people in line.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
To followup: got a "Seeing Stars" pack for $15, which guaranteed an All-Star and two others. From what I've seen I got lucky, most people got two commons with their all-star, but I pulled a limited edition Blake Griffin with an All-Star Ben Simmons and common Goran Dragic.

Saw someone mention this should be Blake's only Pistons "moment" so I was curious, headed over to the market and people are trying to flip him for as high 4 figures. You can see recent sales though, and most weren't paying near that. Based on what similar serial numbers were going for I posted him at $148 and it sold within the hour. Not a bad ROI.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah I made a Dapper account and threw $50 on it. Basically bought one Miles Bridges memory so that I'll be eligible to get in line for future pack drops. Not sure how much I believe in Top Shot as an idea, but could be fun to get in on it relatively early.
CuseMayne
Sixth Man

Post#1702 » by CuseMayne » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Virginia with the 3 at the buzzer to knock off my alma mater 72-69 in the ACC tournament...really hope Cuse can get invited to the dance! Apparently after their win yesterday they had an 88% chance to get in, and with Xavier losing after that prediction along with a strong showing against Virginia, I'm optimistic. Buddy Boeheim dropped 27 and 31 in the two games...went to the same HS as him too. So clearly a lot for me to cheer for lol.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#1703 » by amcoolio » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:22 pm

App St. got hosed with 16 seed against overall #1 Gonzaga

As someone whos waited 20+ years for App to get back into the tournament by watching a lot of games in person it hurts

But still good for them, maybe they can build on it. No reason App St. can't be really good in basketball like Wichita St. or Butler
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
CuseMayne
Sixth Man

Post#1704 » by CuseMayne » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:16 am

My orange are dancin' 8-)

Best of all, they play Friday and (hopefully) Sunday, not coinciding with any Hornets games.

March Madness is gonna be so fun, crazy that it didn't happen last year.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1705 » by penquin11 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 pm

amcoolio wrote:App St. got hosed with 16 seed against overall #1 Gonzaga

As someone whos waited 20+ years for App to get back into the tournament by watching a lot of games in person it hurts

But still good for them, maybe they can build on it. No reason App St. can't be really good in basketball like Wichita St. or Butler

Chances are we attended some games together about 7 years ago. I'm just glad to see app back in the tourney, and honestly I'd have it no other way than us being massive underdogs, its when the uni is at its best.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1706 » by yosemiteben » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:21 pm

I think I am going to succumb to the temptation to start watching Deshaun Watson highlight videos.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,032

Post#1707 » by JDR720 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:25 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I think I am going to succumb to the temptation to start watching Deshaun Watson highlight videos.

Read on Twitter

Speaking of Watson...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1708 » by JDR720 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:19 pm

Read on Twitter
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1709 » by BigSlam » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 pm

JDR720 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting timing for these accusations to come to light.
B B M F 'ers
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1710 » by JDR720 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:29 am

BigSlam wrote:Interesting timing for these accusations to come to light.

Yeah, it is interesting timing but they all are very similar accusations.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31113664/summary-lawsuits-deshaun-watson

If he did any of them, let alone all or most of them, his career is probably over.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#1711 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 am

JDR720 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Interesting timing for these accusations to come to light.

Yeah, it is interesting timing but they all are very similar accusations.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31113664/summary-lawsuits-deshaun-watson

If he did any of them, let alone all or most of them, his career is probably over.

Ehh we'll see. Vick came back and played. Ray Lewis dang near murdered someone. Roethlisberger was pretty bad as well. Regardless it's pretty disturbing
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1712 » by penquin11 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:11 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Ehh we'll see. Vick came back and played. Ray Lewis dang near murdered someone. Roethlisberger was pretty bad as well. Regardless it's pretty disturbing

The only dude I've ever seen get chased out of the NFL for what he did was Ray Rice- and that wasn't actually done by the NFL as much as it is that nobody was willing to sign him. Dude should have gone to jail for that hit.

I re-watched the video where he hit his wife again for reference and its pretty bad. Apparently Ray Rice had the balls to try to sue the Baltimore Ravens for "wrongful termination" (essentially) after the Ravens released him claiming that the release was a "unwarranted second punishment" after the NFL only handed him a 2 game ban (**** how). Believe it or not the Ravens were forced to settle for pretty much how much Rice demanded. **** wild times.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#1713 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:57 pm

penquin11 wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:Ehh we'll see. Vick came back and played. Ray Lewis dang near murdered someone. Roethlisberger was pretty bad as well. Regardless it's pretty disturbing

The only dude I've ever seen get chased out of the NFL for what he did was Ray Rice- and that wasn't actually done by the NFL as much as it is that nobody was willing to sign him. Dude should have gone to jail for that hit.

I re-watched the video where he hit his wife again for reference and its pretty bad. Apparently Ray Rice had the balls to try to sue the Baltimore Ravens for "wrongful termination" (essentially) after the Ravens released him claiming that the release was a "unwarranted second punishment" after the NFL only handed him a 2 game ban (**** how). Believe it or not the Ravens were forced to settle for pretty much how much Rice demanded. **** wild times.

Rice was also only averaging some paltry 3 ypg when that happened. If you or I do something monstrous like that we go to jail for 5 years
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1714 » by BigSlam » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:42 pm

Sam Darnold?

Yikes....
B B M F 'ers
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#1715 » by Rays Pompadour » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:08 am

BigSlam wrote:Sam Darnold?

Yikes....

This was a buy...even kind of scenario. Most pundits pan the deal, giving the Jets props for getting something - even a little more than expected - for a player they were clearly moving on from (and everybody knew it). There is almost universal opinion that Darnold is a bad bet and a bad quarterback based on his numbers since being drafted in 2018.

The truth is closer to a kid coming to one of the most brutal fan markets in the world at 20 years old having to be the face of a franchise. He was over his head from day one and the NFL is not a place for someone to find themselves. But he'll have that opportunity in Carolina. Bridgewater is too expensive to cut and no team wants the contract, so he'll be a Panther and remain a classy veteran. He may even beat Darnold for the starting job, which wouldn't be a total tragedy.

Still, if Darnold isn't the starter, then it's an overpay. If he is the modern day version of the broken David Carr, then it's an overpay. But if he becomes the starting QB that continues to improve, then the Panthers made an equitable trade. They win outright if he becomes a legit franchise quarterback.

I like it, personally. Gives them options at #8 they didn't really have before the trade. He's very young - just 23. So Darnold has time to grow. Being overwhelmed is not the best trait for a franchise QB, but it was worth taking a shot. Now, the team can address real issues along the lines and at cornerback. I hope they draft Surtain and leave Pitts alone.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1716 » by euphorbus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:08 pm

NWSL kicks off tonight, after a six month's hiatus and ten weeks of pre-season training. I'm not sure what the latter was all about, but perhaps the league wanted to give its newest club, Racing Louisville, time to put together a coherent team on the field. Louisville has three former UNC defender/midfielders: Emily Fox, Julia Ashley, and Taylor Otto, from Apex. They play tomorrow night.

By the way, the entirety of the NCAA men's and women's soccer tournaments will be held in North Carolina, starting at the end of April. UNC will be competing for the women's title once again, although Florida State is the favorite.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#1717 » by Braggins » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:54 pm

Fats got a shout out on the ATH podcast the other day.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1718 » by predators » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:46 pm

Rays Pompadour wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Sam Darnold?

Yikes....

This was a buy...even kind of scenario. Most pundits pan the deal, giving the Jets props for getting something - even a little more than expected - for a player they were clearly moving on from (and everybody knew it). There is almost universal opinion that Darnold is a bad bet and a bad quarterback based on his numbers since being drafted in 2018.

The truth is closer to a kid coming to one of the most brutal fan markets in the world at 20 years old having to be the face of a franchise. He was over his head from day one and the NFL is not a place for someone to find themselves. But he'll have that opportunity in Carolina. Bridgewater is too expensive to cut and no team wants the contract, so he'll be a Panther and remain a classy veteran. He may even beat Darnold for the starting job, which wouldn't be a total tragedy.

Still, if Darnold isn't the starter, then it's an overpay. If he is the modern day version of the broken David Carr, then it's an overpay. But if he becomes the starting QB that continues to improve, then the Panthers made an equitable trade. They win outright if he becomes a legit franchise quarterback.

I like it, personally. Gives them options at #8 they didn't really have before the trade. He's very young - just 23. So Darnold has time to grow. Being overwhelmed is not the best trait for a franchise QB, but it was worth taking a shot. Now, the team can address real issues along the lines and at cornerback. I hope they draft Surtain and leave Pitts alone.

Last year was a disaster, but year 2 Darnold was decent. The Jet's low key went on a run when he came back from mono and finished 7-9. He was semi expected to breakout this season. Him being injury prone is the most concerning to me, but I think it's decent gamble either way. He's younger than Burrow.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1719 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:03 pm

Braggins wrote:Fats got a shout out on the ATH podcast the other day.

What podcast is that?
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1720 » by fatlever » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:20 pm

Braggins wrote:Fats got a shout out on the ATH podcast the other day.

?
the nuggets player?
or the realgm legend? :lol:

Return to Charlotte Hornets